• Text Only
Anyone manually run anything thicker through this printer successfully?

dXb147 said:   Anyone manually run anything thicker through this printer successfully?
Besides the answer to your question that was posted in this thread yesterday?

SpacelySprockets said:   russellt said:   Don't try to install the generic cartriges before using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer. They will not install until after the starter cartridges have been installed.
Yes the instructions clearly state to first use the starter cartridges. And I even read them this time!

I used the generic cartridges to start, ( I didn't read). It reported an error that the cartridges were not installed properly. I popped out the 4 carts & put back in. After a cleaning cycle it appears to be printing fine. I wanted to save the originals for cleaning if I ever have a clogged print head.

MISTERCHEAP said:   peas said:   Jes1 said:   I use to sell inkjet refill kits and bulk ink on line. (Became ill and closed my biz)
I would like to correct the above.

First off: I purchased a Brother MFC-J425W printer for my kids a few days ago. I just ordered 20 ink cartridges for the same printer for $13.68 shipped. (comes to .65¢ cents a cartridge) The cartridges hold about 30ml of ink (1 oz each)

If you were to buy the refillable cartridge from the site mentioned above, this is the break down:
$22.95 for refillable cartridges ÷ 4 cartridges = $5.74 a cartridge.

The bulk ink on the site cost $25.50 for 400ml of ink or 100ml of each color.
This would yield 3.33 refills of each color cartridge at a cost of: $1.92 per refill.

Total is: $22.95 + $25.50 = $48.45 ÷ 4 colors = $12.11 for each refillable cartridge and 3.3 refills. (shipping may be extra)

Personally, I recommend buying generic ink cartridges. (I just bought 20 @ .65¢ each through Amazon.com using Prime)
Refilling at this price is definitely not worthwhile. Spills will happen.
Have you ever spilled a few drops of ink on the carpet, counter or clothes?

And, I have a brother MFC-240C, that I bought from OfficeMax about 6 yrs ago.
I've used nothing but generic ink cartridges and never had a problem. Still work great!

Just my 2¢

That equation changes slightly when the refillable carts are $10 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190677960729

I don't have the exact price I paid for refill bottles but I'm pretty sure they're less than what was figured above.

and you failed to factor in getting $2 recycle credit for each generic cart, something you get ZERO for with refillables.

Tsk tsk such temper. I was simply pointing out an alternative to his pricing calculations. No reason to get defensive about it. You didn't account for time & hassle in your trade-in scenario -- turn in the carts, wait for the credit to show up, then you're limited to what Staples offers for replacement carts. Not saying that's a bad deal, obviously it's worth it to you, but I prefer to be able to refill on the spot whenever the carts run low rather than worry about whether I have a new cart on hand.

jplee3 said:   Dang, wish I had gotten one of those $25 off $75 Staples coupons. I would have jumped on the 825. I could use a new multi-function. I have an old 5460cn but the scanner is so darned difficult to get setup right on it. I just need something that works mostly out of the box and is wireless....

Are these coupons sent out to everyone on their mailing list? Or rewards member? I should be on both and don't ever remember receiving them. I assume they are mailed?

Norseman said:   jplee3 said:   Dang, wish I had gotten one of those $25 off $75 Staples coupons. I would have jumped on the 825. I could use a new multi-function. I have an old 5460cn but the scanner is so darned difficult to get setup right on it. I just need something that works mostly out of the box and is wireless....

Are these coupons sent out to everyone on their mailing list? Or rewards member? I should be on both and don't ever remember receiving them. I assume they are mailed?

I'm not sure if they're mailed, emailed, or both. Maybe it's targeted among members?

Can it print coupons from www.coupons.com using Android or Apple mobile devices?

dacrew55 said:   Can it print coupons from www.coupons.com using Android or Apple mobile devices?AFAIK that ability depends on the device you are using not the printer you are printing to. I can print fine from an iPad but cannot print anything from coupons.com on the iPad.

I can print from my android phone but until coupons.com supports android I can't print their coupons. If I could just SEE the coupon, an image of it, I could print it. There is an android app for coupons.com but all it does is allow you to email yourself a link to the web site! (which doesn't support android browsers of course) Wow, that's useful,

Deal dead? Its only 655p here on the west coast. ... but Amazon up to 99.99. Staples link no good. And OfficeMax showing 99 too

I show the MFC-J430W still at the discounted price but in store only which is closed so dead for all practical purposes since the sale will be different tomorrow when the store is open again. The MFC-J825DW is still there for $89.99 though.

I was thinking about buying another. Either a 625 or 825 since their available on-line.
Anyone have a coupon that they didn't use to sweeten the deal??

Jes1 said:   I was thinking about buying another. Either a 625 or 825 since their available on-line.
Anyone have a coupon that they didn't use to sweeten the deal??
You can get the same printer - J425w(J430w @ Staples) from Newegg with free shipping through 2/25 for $57.99.

In for 1, but I think I got bamboozled by the Staples cashier/manager.

I grabbed the OP's printer and 3 FARewards lysol disinfecting wipes. I indicated to the cashier that I wanted to use my existing Staples rewards on just the printer, since I knew using rewards on FARewards items reduces the amount of rewards returned. In other words, I wanted to make two separate purchases. I also was trying to use an OfficeMax $10 off $40 coupon at Staples, which required manager approval, on the printer purchase. The cashier initially rang up the printer by itself and applied the $10 off $40 coupon and my Staples rewards, and I thought I was good, so I swiped my credit card.

The manager asked the cashier a question and I wasn't really paying attention since I was talking to my friend. The cashier then asked me to swipe again since the first time didn't go through, but I hadn't noticed that she scanned the 3 lysol wipes that added to the printer transaction. I swiped my card and as I was doing so, realized what happened.

So long story short, I got shorted $6.73 in rewards. Part of me still thinks I came out ahead since I used a $10 off $40 coupon, but part of me is mad at myself for not paying close attention.

KKCC said:   SpacelySprockets said:   russellt said:   Don't try to install the generic cartriges before using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer. They will not install until after the starter cartridges have been installed.
Yes the instructions clearly state to first use the starter cartridges. And I even read them this time!

I used the generic cartridges to start, ( I didn't read). It reported an error that the cartridges were not installed properly. I popped out the 4 carts & put back in. After a cleaning cycle it appears to be printing fine. I wanted to save the originals for cleaning if I ever have a clogged print head.
I had no problem using generics from the beginning on 2 of these printers.

noANANDforme said:   In for 1, but I think I got bamboozled by the Staples cashier/manager.

I grabbed the OP's printer and 3 FARewards lysol disinfecting wipes. I indicated to the cashier that I wanted to use my existing Staples rewards on just the printer, since I knew using rewards on FARewards items reduces the amount of rewards returned. In other words, I wanted to make two separate purchases. I also was trying to use an OfficeMax $10 off $40 coupon at Staples, which required manager approval, on the printer purchase. The cashier initially rang up the printer by itself and applied the $10 off $40 coupon and my Staples rewards, and I thought I was good, so I swiped my credit card.

The manager asked the cashier a question and I wasn't really paying attention since I was talking to my friend. The cashier then asked me to swipe again since the first time didn't go through, but I hadn't noticed that she scanned the 3 lysol wipes that added to the printer transaction. I swiped my card and as I was doing so, realized what happened.

So long story short, I got shorted $6.73 in rewards. Part of me still thinks I came out ahead since I used a $10 off $40 coupon, but part of me is mad at myself for not paying close attention.
Blame it on genetics, not the cashier/manager.

Lol aarzi, I'm just excited to have a printer where i don't have to worry about the cost of ink.

@KKCC, what was your reason for wanting to save the originals for cleaning? Also, since you needed to use the original carts a little bit to set up, are you still able to store them for later? Or once you start a cart, is it bad to take it out? Thanks.

KKCC said:   SpacelySprockets said:   russellt said:   Don't try to install the generic cartriges before using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer. They will not install until after the starter cartridges have been installed.

noANANDforme said:   Lol aarzi, I'm just excited to have a printer where i don't have to worry about the cost of ink.Oh, man! It is soo refreshing to run into somebody who can laugh at themself. You have no idea!

Stay like that, man. Stay like that.

dumpsterDiva said:   @KKCC, what was your reason for wanting to save the originals for cleaning? Also, since you needed to use the original carts a little bit to set up, are you still able to store them for later? Or once you start a cart, is it bad to take it out? Thanks.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the brother carts have a cleaning agent in them. I already had a Brother 430 that I was using Mertline carts in so I had a set for the new printer. Don't know why the printer error at first, but the generics are working well.

The carts that came with the printer are vac packed so they should last a while

After starting carts I run them till empty.

I sense a tremor in the Force. Rumors of imminent changes in the Staples rewards program requiring buying Staples ink to get recycling rewards.
My refilling suggestions might be looking better soon,

Bought from Amazon and all installed. However, I'm running into an annoying problem: I don't have a phone connected on the exact same phone jack as the printer but its the same line throughout the household for calls and faxes. With the printer plugged into the jack in the wall I hear a small static or buzz noise whenever I use my house phone. When I disconnect the Brother unit, the noise just disappears as it was before (when I had my HP printer continuously connected to the wall). Currently the fax mode is set to MANUAL.

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

TIA.

ff.fahimi said:   Bought from Amazon and all installed. However, I'm running into an annoying problem: I don't have a phone connected on the exact same phone jack as the printer but its the same line throughout the household for calls and faxes. With the printer plugged into the jack in the wall I hear a small static or buzz noise whenever I use my house phone. When I disconnect the Brother unit, the noise just disappears as it was before (when I had my HP printer continuously connected to the wall). Currently the fax mode is set to MANUAL.

TIA.

DSL?

Expired

foghorn2 said:   ff.fahimi said:   Bought from Amazon and all installed. However, I'm running into an annoying problem: I don't have a phone connected on the exact same phone jack as the printer but its the same line throughout the household for calls and faxes. With the printer plugged into the jack in the wall I hear a small static or buzz noise whenever I use my house phone. When I disconnect the Brother unit, the noise just disappears as it was before (when I had my HP printer continuously connected to the wall). Currently the fax mode is set to MANUAL.

TIA.

DSL?

cable, but turned out to be a faulty phone line connection/jack.

Anyone installed the generic cartridges successfully without using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer? (430W or 825DW)

SpacelySprockets said:   russellt said:   Don't try to install the generic cartriges before using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer. They will not install until after the starter cartridges have been installed.

wendyt said:   Anyone installed the generic cartridges successfully without using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer? (430W or 825DW)

@SpacelySprockets, not sure I understood this back and forth either. In the end, were you able to get things running after running the cleaning cycle with the generic carts only, or did you have need to use the originals for the cleaning cycle to get it going?

KKCC said:   wendyt said:   Anyone installed the generic cartridges successfully without using the starter cartridges that come with the new printer? (430W or 825DW)

Picked up the Brother J435 at Best Buy a while back for $59. It is awesome. No hassles. Auto-wakes from sleep mode and starts printing. Easily prints from Windows 7, Apple laptops, iPad, etc. Never do HP ever again!

dumpsterDiva said:   @SpacelySprockets, not sure I understood this back and forth either. In the end, were you able to get things running after running the cleaning cycle with the generic carts only, or did you have need to use the originals for the cleaning cycle to get it going?
I followed the instructions to use the Brother starter cartridges. KKCC was the one who reported success using generics to start out.

Thanks. Told you I was confuseD!

All inkjet printers need to be plugged in at all times to prevent clogging, they all pulse ink through at regular intervals to keep clogs from forming, so if they are unplugged or disconnected from power they will eventually clog.

Why are people talking about running generics instead of the starter ink?
Is there an advantage to the generics over the starter ink?

I bought two generics for my father-in-law as he already got through the starter cartridge fast. He also bought the Brother-branded ink replacement from OfficeDepot before the generics arrived because he needed it right away, but he went through that super-fast too. I think it's because he keeps getting tons of junk faxes and that eats through the ink... he tried putting the generics in but even after doing so they read "low ink" - anybody know what the issue might be? I have a suspicion that it's the way it's seated or something with the cartridges is off. I'll have a few hours to check it out on Saturday.

Reset Counter
Disclaimer
See attached.

The level doesn't reset automatically, you have to answer the prompts after inserting new cartridges to indicate a new cartridge was inserted or the level won't reset. Can't be sure that's the issue but think it would be the first thing to check.

Back on sale at OfficeMax link for $60 shipped

robby69 said:   Back on sale at OfficeMax link for $60 shippedOr the Brother HL-2240 for same price: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1261166/

SpacelySprockets said:   The level doesn't reset automatically, you have to answer the prompts after inserting new cartridges to indicate a new cartridge was inserted or the level won't reset. Can't be sure that's the issue but think it would be the first thing to check.

My MFC420CN normally prompts me like that, but for some reason last time I replaced carts, it did not. The ink level automatically reset in their little windows ink-monitor app.

VirtuaL said:   SpacelySprockets said:   The level doesn't reset automatically, you have to answer the prompts after inserting new cartridges to indicate a new cartridge was inserted or the level won't reset. Can't be sure that's the issue but think it would be the first thing to check.

My MFC420CN normally prompts me like that, but for some reason last time I replaced carts, it did not. The ink level automatically reset in their little windows ink-monitor app.

I think that happened to me once. I took the cartridge out and put it back in and all was well, in my case.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014