• Text Only
larryj62 said:   Don't know about the password issue, my wireless is open.

May want to rethink that

Thanks for the input Larryj. If the wired/wireless is solved it is one less problem if I drop password from timr to time

spater said:   Thanks for the input Larryj. If the wired/wireless is solved it is one less problem if I drop password from timr to timeHaven't had a single wireless dropout in 3 mo of continuous powered on usage. Might want to look into your router.

peas said:   spater said:   Thanks for the input Larryj. If the wired/wireless is solved it is one less problem if I drop password from timr to timeHaven't had a single wireless dropout in 3 mo of continuous powered on usage. Might want to look into your router.

I also have had this printer for about 2 years. No wireless issue. And I have been using generic inks. I can't even tell the difference in print quality.

I have had this printer for more than 7-8 months. I can tell you, I have never been more satisfied with a printer than this one. I have used HP, and Lexmark in the past. All the features that this printer is marketed with do actually work.

Setup is straightforward, wireless is easy (even with WPA2 encryption), printing is fast, scanning is great but there are two more things that I would like to share. I have 1-line Vonage for voice/fax. Normally, fax requires a high "quality" line but with specific settings on this printer, I have fax working using on Vonag/DSL internet (imagine that) Secondl, there is an Android app for Brother so if you connect the phone on the same wireless network, you guessed it, you can scan/print documents from your phone.

That's one of the reasons I'll probably have to get this. We have a number of mobile devices, tablets and phones, that would be nice to add printing capability to. With the MFC440CN, I tried various workarounds to get it to print with limited success. Would be nice to have a printer designed for this and not have to try crazy hacks to do so. Also should be easier to add to my wireless network. Right now I have the wired MFC440CN plugged into a secondary bridged wireless router. It works but simplicity is good,

I just grabbed 2 in store today for relatives. Will come back tomorrow for price adjustments.

labboypro said:   grandslampobah said:   Great deal! Sometimes its worth it to buy a whole new printer rather than paying for ink & toner!

Not in this case. Ink is a MM on this one... read the Staples ink cartridge threads, and use Search for previous deals on this printer for links to great deals on ink, HOW this is actually a MM deal, and lots and lots of positive reviews on this printer.
Puleezzzeee... Not this poor logic again... Buying cheap ink is not a money maker. If you want to recycle ink cartridges and aren't already, you can just buy the much cheaper (.20 each shipped. or less) empty inks from eBay and really make money. Sure you can recycle the brother cartridges too, but I don't know anyone (that's not using it for business) that goes through 10 cartridges a month, so you're going to want extra empites anyway to get all 10/month (or more) than you're able to recycle. So the only money you're really "making" is what you'd save having to buy additional empty ink cartridges, or about $.20/cartridge (or less), which is still less than you're paying for the cheap, full cartridges.


Danzilla said:   labboypro said:   grandslampobah said:   Great deal! Sometimes its worth it to buy a whole new printer rather than paying for ink & toner!

Not in this case. Ink is a MM on this one... read the Staples ink cartridge threads, and use Search for previous deals on this printer for links to great deals on ink, HOW this is actually a MM deal, and lots and lots of positive reviews on this printer.
Puleezzzeee... Not this poor logic again... Buying cheap ink is not a money maker. If you want to recycle ink cartridges and aren't already, you can just buy the much cheaper (.20 each shipped. or less) empty inks from eBay and really make money. Sure you can recycle the brother cartridges too, but I don't know anyone (that's not using it for business) that goes through 10 cartridges a month, so you're going to want extra empites anyway to get all 10/month (or more) than you're able to recycle. So the only money you're really "making" is what you'd save having to buy additional empty ink cartridges, or about $.20/cartridge (or less), which is still less than you're paying for the cheap, full cartridges.


sorry Dan, but you're wrong IMO. Paying $1 for an ink cart you actually USE and print 1200 pages from, and then still getting $2 for it when you recycle it, is still a better scenario than paying .20 for a used ink cart and getting $2 for it.

Granted you're not going to use 10 carts per month, but there's no reason you can't add the used Brother carts as they go empty into your "stash" of recylced carts to be part of the 10 or 20ea monthly that you bring in.

On the flip side, if you buy name brand HP ink and pay $25 for the cartridge, and then turn it back in for recycle, you've spent $23 net still for that ink.

Even if you don't recycle the Brother generic inks, it's still a FANTASTIC deal compared to what people had been spending for HP or Epson, etc ink on the printer they owned prior to this Brother for example.

MISTERCHEAP said:   Danzilla said:   labboypro said:   grandslampobah said:   Great deal! Sometimes its worth it to buy a whole new printer rather than paying for ink & toner!

Not in this case. Ink is a MM on this one... read the Staples ink cartridge threads, and use Search for previous deals on this printer for links to great deals on ink, HOW this is actually a MM deal, and lots and lots of positive reviews on this printer.
Puleezzzeee... Not this poor logic again... Buying cheap ink is not a money maker. If you want to recycle ink cartridges and aren't already, you can just buy the much cheaper (.20 each shipped. or less) empty inks from eBay and really make money. Sure you can recycle the brother cartridges too, but I don't know anyone (that's not using it for business) that goes through 10 cartridges a month, so you're going to want extra empites anyway to get all 10/month (or more) than you're able to recycle. So the only money you're really "making" is what you'd save having to buy additional empty ink cartridges, or about $.20/cartridge (or less), which is still less than you're paying for the cheap, full cartridges.


sorry Dan, but you're wrong IMO. Paying $1 for an ink cart you actually USE and print 1200 pages from, and then still getting $2 for it when you recycle it, is still a better scenario than paying .20 for a used ink cart and getting $2 for it.

Granted you're not going to use 10 carts per month, but there's no reason you can't add the used Brother carts as they go empty into your "stash" of recylced carts to be part of the 10 or 20ea monthly that you bring in.

On the flip side, if you buy name brand HP ink and pay $25 for the cartridge, and then turn it back in for recycle, you've spent $23 net still for that ink.

Even if you don't recycle the Brother generic inks, it's still a FANTASTIC deal compared to what people had been spending for HP or Epson, etc ink on the printer they owned prior to this Brother for example.
Eh... that still makes no logical sense. Yes they're a great value compared to most other ink cartridges, especially OEM. And yes you can use them instead of buying as many empties, but that's all irrelevant. The ONLY thing in question is the value of the cartridge that you recycle AFTER the ink is gone, so it has no relevance if it's a cartridge you bought full and used or one you bought empty. As you can buy empties for $.20 or LESS, by definition these are still only worth $.20 or less, regardless of what value they had before they were empty. So while it is still better for you recycle ink cartridges you actually used, it's still only because it's saving you $.20 (or less) each that you'd otherwise have to pay for empties.

The imagined value is in claiming they're worth what you get for recycling them ($2), when it's only really what it would cost to replace them with similar empty cartridges, ie. $.20 each.

Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy are all selling these tomorrow. Where to buy? Any coupons that would make a difference? Other factors? Like Staples return policy is better than most? Hmmm...

Well, I was able to add one to my cart on OfficeMax around 12:15 AM central time, by 12:30 they are out of stock...

Either there are a ton of hungry deal-hunters jumping on this, or its just a scam to bring people in with only a tiny number of items available...

What's the difference among 425w (JR), 430w (Staple) and 435w (BestBuy)? All are $60 while JR has no tax.

benben888 said:   What's the difference among 425w (JR), 430w (Staple) and 435w (BestBuy)? All are $60 while JR has no tax.Nothing. Just different model numbers for different retailers. Go to the Brother site and it will say they are all the same.

mathfaster said:   benben888 said:   What's the difference among 425w (JR), 430w (Staple) and 435w (BestBuy)? All are $60 while JR has no tax.Nothing. Just different model numbers for different retailers. Go to the Brother site and it will say they are all the same.

Thanks. Now Amazon also has 425w for $59.99 with prime shipping.

danf said:   Well, I was able to add one to my cart on OfficeMax around 12:15 AM central time, by 12:30 they are out of stock...

Either there are a ton of hungry deal-hunters jumping on this, or its just a scam to bring people in with only a tiny number of items available...



Was able to order a 435 from them a 3 EST. They were the only ones left that would ship.

benben888 said:   mathfaster said:   benben888 said:   What's the difference among 425w (JR), 430w (Staple) and 435w (BestBuy)? All are $60 while JR has no tax.Nothing. Just different model numbers for different retailers. Go to the Brother site and it will say they are all the same.

Thanks. Now Amazon also has 425w for $59.99 with prime shipping.


Better late than never I suppose. Cancelling Office Max and going with Amazon for prime and no tax.

peas said:   spater said:   Thanks for the input Larryj. If the wired/wireless is solved it is one less problem if I drop password from timr to timeHaven't had a single wireless dropout in 3 mo of continuous powered on usage. Might want to look into your router.
Router free from phone company calling Monday to get updated/fixed! Thanks

Brother now has this model direct for the same price free shipping: http://www.brothermall.com/MFC/ProdDetail?Model=MFCJ425W&IsRefur...

What's the best deal on ink cartridges for this? I see someone mentioned Meritline, do these generics really work in the printer?

http://www.meritline.com/brother-lc75-ink-compatible-high-yield-...

Are the 4 cartridges really only $6.95?

elfrozo said:   What's the best deal on ink cartridges for this? I see someone mentioned Meritline, do these generics really work in the printer?

http://www.meritline.com/brother-lc75-ink-compatible-high-yield-...

Are the 4 cartridges really only $6.95?


some amazone sellers have them under $1 ea wyb a pack of 10 or 20 carts. all w/free ship.

and yes, the generic prices are DIRT CHEAP.

Great this is ridiculous. They have 4 blacks and 2 each of the three color cartridges for $8 (free shipping on order over 25).


MISTERCHEAP said:   elfrozo said:   What's the best deal on ink cartridges for this? I see someone mentioned Meritline, do these generics really work in the printer?

http://www.meritline.com/brother-lc75-ink-compatible-high-yield-...

inurface said:   Brother now has this model direct for the same price free shipping: http://www.brothermall.com/MFC/ProdDetail?Model=MFCJ425W&IsRefur...

And see here for more: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1257563/

How is the photo quality on these. Would love to get rid of an older cantankerous HP AIO but need relatively decent photo printing.

aarzi said:   g0dMAn said:   SpacelySprockets said:   drnyinyithan said:   not a laser printer....not interested...
If you find a color laser printer that scans and faxes, wireless, sheet feeder, for $60, THAT will be front page, I'm in if you do.

I'm with you, man... Only my wife made me get her just that... Cost me $400!!!
Bought from the Ukraine?


right, the up front price of $400 from the Ukraine is cheap but in the long run
very expensive, just as expensive as the American ones.

aarzi said:   g0dMAn said:   SpacelySprockets said:   drnyinyithan said:   not a laser printer....not interested...
If you find a color laser printer that scans and faxes, wireless, sheet feeder, for $60, THAT will be front page, I'm in if you do.

I'm with you, man... Only my wife made me get her just that... Cost me $400!!!
Bought from the Ukraine?


right, the up front price of $400 from the Ukraine is cheap but in the long run
very expensive, just as expensive as the American ones.

Meritline has the appropriate high yield ink on sale right now if you order a set of 4 (16 cartridges):

http://www.meritline.com/brother-lc75-ink-compatible-high-yield-...

Nice cheap ink, that's for sure. I went to Staples today and picked one of these printers up. I really love my HL-2770DW brother laser, and the wifi support on these printers is really great. Combined with the cheap ink and it's a no brainer replacement for my HP color that is cost prohibitive for ink.

I bought this printer in a previous great deal. I very strongly support this printer. Cheap ink can be purchased which I've had no difficult using. I can print from any device in the house, including from my galaxy nexus phone.

I haven't bought one of these (yet) but I thought I would chime in on the Brother printers in general:

About 6 years ago (or so), I picked up a DPC-110C printer/scanner/copier from Office Depot for $29.99 + tax - $40 rebate (yes, paid to take). One of the best printers for reliability and cheap ink that I've ever had. My daughter is still using to this day.

Bought another, better version (don't remember model-think it was MFC-240C) about a year later for $3.00 after discounts/rebates/etc. and stored it under bed for 5 years (forgot about it). While sitting under bed, ink in lines dried up and hardened. When I opened it, it would only print color and not black. After working with it for some time, I wrote Brother and told them my story about not opening the printer for 5 years and that it didn't work when I finally opened it. Asked for advise. I received an e-mail for me to call them. I proceeded to call and the lady was very nice and asked me what I had tried. After telling her what I had tried, she asked for my address to send me a new, wireless unit (the unit I had was only USB) at no charge and for me to just recycle the non-functioning unit. I was floored.

The new MFC-J415W has been running strong for 8 months now and it's great (Wireless G only, no N, but I'm not complaining).

I would not buy anything else other than a Brother right now, because of the solid product, cheap ink options and over the top (in my case) customer service.

I'm tempted to use my $30 Discover cash and pick up the 425W from Amazon but I'm afraid I'll sit it under the bed for too long and it will dry up too!

With all of these models (425, 430 and 435 popping up today), I found the "compare feature" of Brother's site and linked all 3 together. They seems to all have identical specifications:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelCompare/4/MFCJ430W_MFCJ435W_...

Just ordered through Office Max for in-store pickup (they only had the display available). This will be replacing flat bed scanner, small HP DeskJet Printer and a big foot color copier (all which we've had for appx 10 years) which when this fella comes will be replacing all three. Main thing we're looking forward to is the faxing and wireless capability. Looking forward to the extra space!

jigaeman said:   Setup is straightforward, wireless is easy (even with WPA2 encryption), printing is fast, scanning is great but there are two more things that I would like to share. I have 1-line Vonage for voice/fax. Normally, fax requires a high "quality" line but with specific settings on this printer, I have fax working using on Vonag/DSL internet (imagine that) Secondl, there is an Android app for Brother so if you connect the phone on the same wireless network, you guessed it, you can scan/print documents from your phone.Mind sharing those fax settings? TIA

I am pulling the trigger on this one. I have a epson and it can't print at all plus generic print cartridges cost $10-$12 bucks!

In for 1.

Also picked up the free after rebate paper, free after rewards Lysol, free w/ coupon earphones, and used a $5 off $25 coupon.

Thanks OP, in 4 1.

wxforecaster said:   I am pulling the trigger on this one. I have a epson and it can't print at all plus generic print cartridges cost $10-$12 bucks!

you won't regret it! neither will your wallet.

Engineer said:   With all of these models (425, 430 and 435 popping up today), I found the "compare feature" of Brother's site and linked all 3 together. They seems to all have identical specifications:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelCompare/4/MFCJ430W_MFCJ435W_...


yes, that's the old "unique" model trick based on retailer. one store will carry the 435, one the 425, etc, so they have an excuse never to price match saying "it's a different model". Mattress companies do the same thing.

Can Staples Rewards be used with Staples Coupons ($25 off $75) on a similar printer?
I really want one that prints on discs.

Jes1 said:   Can Staples Rewards be used with Staples Coupons ($25 off $75) on a similar printer?
I really want one that prints on discs.
yes, but phone in the order so you do not have to meet the $75 minimum after rewards are applied if you order online.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.