• Text Only
Engineer said:   With all of these models (425, 430 and 435 popping up today), I found the "compare feature" of Brother's site and linked all 3 together. They seems to all have identical specifications:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelCompare/4/MFCJ430W_MFCJ435W_...

Thanks! I was trying to figure that out.

Here's the comparison page for the next level up, I think, the 625DW, 825DW and 835DW

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelCompare/4/MFCJ625DW_MFCJ825D...

I can't see any difference in features between these three either. The weird thing is, Best Buy is listing the MFC-J835DW for $90 but the MFC-J825DW for $250. Are they really the same?

Green.
Thanks OP.
I went for the duplex model.

I have a Chromebook does anyone know if these are compatible with Google Cloud Print?

just curious where everyone is getting the 25 of 75 coupon is it in An email or do I have to go on fleabay

Thanks, finally got a new printer to replace my Epsom Stylus 880.

Thank you so much for sharing the lead.

NICKel said:   I have a Chromebook does anyone know if these are compatible with Google Cloud Print?

YES
http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/cloud/mobile-smartphone-apps....

http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/cloud/google-cloud-printing.a...

Thanks, OP, I ended up getting the $89 model because I don't have a Staple$ near me and the other one was in-store only.

As it worked out, I'm happier with this one, since it does 2-sided pages and because I could apply the $25 off $75 coupon I got in the mail. So my final total was just $69.54. Very satisfied!

dumpsterDiva said:   Engineer said:   With all of these models (425, 430 and 435 popping up today), I found the "compare feature" of Brother's site and linked all 3 together. They seems to all have identical specifications:

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelCompare/4/MFCJ430W_MFCJ435W_...

Thanks! I was trying to figure that out.

Here's the comparison page for the next level up, I think, the 625DW, 825DW and 835DW

I can't see any difference in features between these three either. The weird thing is, Best Buy is listing the MFC-J835DW for $90 but the MFC-J825DW for $250. Are they really the same?

I see some important differences now, in the Full features view of the $90 models: http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelCompare/4/MFCJ625DW_MFCJ825D...
(Be aware that the table mixes up the order of the models shown at the top!)

FYI, one extra difference between the $60 model and the $90 model is 1 year vs 2 year warranty.

The 835 has bigger screen, faster fax, memory backup, higher scanner resolution and web connect, but all have 2 year warranty according to Brother's full feature list.

KuoH

dumpsterDiva said:   I see some important differences now, in the Full features view of the $90 models

800 series Brother will be on sale at Costco for $80 tomorrow, free shipping. I got the $60 one at Staples since I had rewards $$ to burn.

Office Depot also has the same model for $59.99, I bought one today .

Almost forgot to jump in and grab one of these. Grabbed the duplex one. Thanks to the op and double thanks to whomever mentioned the $25 off $75 Staples coupon. I had one sitting there that I had totally forgot about. Jeers to me for forgetting to hit my CashBack link because I was so excited to use my coupon. Sigh!

I was very ready to give a big red, OP, cause I am so mad, I just got a canon printer, I wish I knew about this!!!

In for the j825dw. Used $25 off $75 and ShopDiscover (for 5% CashBack),got one additional year warranty (totally 3 years).
Thanks!

Meritline is $2.00 shipped per cartridge. Amazon is 66 cents shipped each for 20 with prime or 2 sets for non prime members. eBay averages $1. Google shopping is $1 or more. Can anyone beat 66 cents?

arribasn said:   800 series Brother will be on sale at Costco for $80 tomorrow, free shipping. I got the $60 one at Staples since I had rewards $$ to burn. Link for that or only B&M?

NICKel said:   arribasn said:   800 series Brother will be on sale at Costco for $80 tomorrow, free shipping. I got the $60 one at Staples since I had rewards $$ to burn. Link for that or only B&M?
Actually it might be online only, S&H included. This would be cheaper for most (even with non-member surcharge) unless you have coupons/rewards for other stores.

edit: Thanks benben888 for pointing out this is a similar 800 series style printer but with downgrades as noted

Purchased the printer yesterday, received $25 off $75 coupon today.

arribasn said:   NICKel said:   arribasn said:   800 series Brother will be on sale at Costco for $80 tomorrow, free shipping. I got the $60 one at Staples since I had rewards $$ to burn. Link for that or only B&M?
Actually it might be online only, S&H included. This would be cheaper for most (even with non-member surcharge) unless you have coupons/rewards for other stores.

Costco has j625dw while others have j825dw/j835dw. The differences are the screen size (1" vs 3") and fax speed (14.4K vs 33.6k).

I am not familiar with Staples' reward system. If I bring in 10 ink carts do I get $20 I can use the same day?

AnandBanned said:   I am not familiar with Staples' reward system. If I bring in 10 ink carts do I get $20 I can use the same day?
Staples Rewards for Beginners Thread

AnandBanned said:   I am not familiar with Staples' reward system. If I bring in 10 ink carts do I get $20 I can use the same day?No but we all wish that were the case. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1157891/m1658254...

Tempted but I keep hearing that the cheap ink causes (requires) you to run a self-cleaning if the unit sits a couple days. Also a lot of reports of leaking cartridges. The Brother label cartridges are no bargain at all only the "generic" ones and the quality seems to be questionable from the research I've done.

I don't like paying $20 a pop for HP ink but I never need to do any "cleaning" so I'm tore on this and leaning toward not purchasing the Brother unit.

I'm thinking about getting the j825dw for $89.99. I got a coupon in the mail from Staples for $25 off $100 online purchase. Any comments on a good filler to meet the $100 qualifications.

rmi65700 said:   I'm thinking about getting the j825dw for $89.99. I got a coupon in the mail from Staples for $25 off $100 online purchase. Any comments on a good filler to meet the $100 qualifications.3 Lysol wipe cannisters for $3.99 each. 100% back in rewards. Total $12. You will lose a little of the rewards due to coupon proration but since the printer is the majority spend you will only lose around $2.50 of the $12.00 in rewards back.

peas said:   spater said:   Thanks for the input Larryj. If the wired/wireless is solved it is one less problem if I drop password from timr to timeHaven't had a single wireless dropout in 3 mo of continuous powered on usage. Might want to look into your router.

Sounds like a possible DHCP error. Assign your printer a static IP address and you'll probably not have any drop outs.

thanks "mathfaster"

If I do a return/rebuy from a transaction I used rewards to pay with, will the register spit a $25 certificate or am I SOL?

If it does what I think it does, and spit the credit as soon as its returned, will it spit back out a balance receipt after I reuse it on the printer or will I need to add $25 bucks of stuff to not lose the balance of the rewards?

If your original rewards had not expired, you will get a new coupon. You would need to use it fully or lose the balance.

jd2010 said:   If I do a return/rebuy from a transaction I used rewards to pay with, will the register spit a $25 certificate or am I SOL?

If it does what I think it does, and spit the credit as soon as its returned, will it spit back out a balance receipt after I reuse it on the printer or will I need to add $25 bucks of stuff to not lose the balance of the rewards?
You should get a "refund" voucher for the amount of the rewards that were prorated to the items on your original receipt. I assume this was an original rewards voucher. Are you rebuying the same product or some other product? You can do a single return/rebuy in one transaction or the return as its own transaction and the rebuy as its own transaction. Are you returning one item or all items from the original purchase? Each way has advantages/disadvantages.

Just a heads up that AMAZON just cut the price on the J825DW a few minutes ago from 135.00 I just got one.... better for me hunting for those elusive 25 off coupons and no tax!

cpabster said:   Tempted but I keep hearing that the cheap ink causes (requires) you to run a self-cleaning if the unit sits a couple days. Also a lot of reports of leaking cartridges. The Brother label cartridges are no bargain at all only the "generic" ones and the quality seems to be questionable from the research I've done.
I don't like paying $20 a pop for HP ink but I never need to do any "cleaning" so I'm tore on this and leaning toward not purchasing the Brother unit.

The J430w unit I bought almost a year ago had an automatic self-cleaning function. I can hear it cleaning sometimes, so I know that it does it; but, I don't know the exact frequency of this happening. I've also attached a Continuous Ink Supply System to the unit, that I got from eBay for ~$40. The ink quality is good and I've never had clogging or leaking problems even when I don't print anything for days.

NICKel said:   Just a heads up that AMAZON just cut the price on the J825DW a few minutes ago from 135.00 I just got one.... better for me hunting for those elusive 25 off coupons and no tax!

What are the main advantages of the 825dw?

for an extra 30.00 you get 3 really nice features over that model.

- DUPLEX (2 sided printing)
- 20 sheet Doc Feeder.
- Nice 3" touchscreen LCD for functions.

NICKel said:   for an extra 30.00 you get 3 really nice features over that model.

- 20 sheet Doc Feeder.

Plus: 2 year warranty, 33kbps Fax plus PC to receive Fax.

Unless the Brother model comparison page is wrong, the 825 has the smaller screen, slower fax and is wireless only. The 835 at Best Buy should be the better deal for those without a Staples coupon. However, looking at the product description page at Staples and BB, both models look to have the same specs.

KuoH

benben888 said:   NICKel said:   for an extra 30.00 you get 3 really nice features over that model.

- 20 sheet Doc Feeder.

The Brother model comparison page mixes up the models and the corresponding specs.. You have to check the specs of each one separately to figure out which is which. Since I already have, I can tell you the 625 is the one with the lesser features. I have not been able to find any difference between the 825 and 835 except the 835 has a decorative design on the lid that the 825 doesn't have.

KuoH said:   Unless the Brother model comparison page is wrong, the 825 has the smaller screen, slower fax and is wireless only. The 835 at Best Buy should be the better deal for those without a Staples coupon. However, looking at the product description page at Staples and BB, both models look to have the same specs.

KuoH

benben888 said:   NICKel said:   for an extra 30.00 you get 3 really nice features over that model.

- 20 sheet Doc Feeder.

I actually ordered some Meritline ink just a bit ago. That's cool, I trust it well enough to use it. BUT, I may have found the better answer I've been looking for. First let me say I have absolutely no relationship to this company or stand to gain anything, just sharing what I found. I found them on Amazon then when and checked out the web site directly. The company is printpayless. They sell bottles of ink which they claim is specifically formulated For Brother which I assume means the additives such as glycerol and some cleaning fluids to keep the print head clear. The bottles can be used to directly fill the OEM cartridges, no syringe needed. But better yet they sell these clear pre-filled cartridges with easily accessible holes pre-drilled with plugs. They also sell other cool stuff like Continuous Ink Supply Systems but Not sure I really need that, have to think about it. Anyway, why I didn't find these guys before I don't know but I've very hopeful this will work out well for me so just passing along FYI for what it's worth.

dumpsterDiva said:   The Brother model comparison page mixes up the models and the corresponding specs.. You have to check the specs of each one separately to figure out which is which. Since I already have, I can tell you the 625 is the one with the lesser features. I have not been able to find any difference between the 825 and 835 except the 835 has a decorative design on the lid that the 825 doesn't have.

KuoH said:   Unless the Brother model comparison page is wrong, the 825 has the smaller screen, slower fax and is wireless only. The 835 at Best Buy should be the better deal for those without a Staples coupon. However, looking at the product description page at Staples and BB, both models look to have the same specs.

KuoH

- 20 sheet Doc Feeder.

Agreed, both based on looking at mine and the brother website spec page at http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ825DW/spec

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014