• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Guys,

Just a warning.

Discover posted my Amazon gift cards from GiftCardStop as a cash advance 'pseudocash' and I was charged a cash advance fee.

After speaking with Discover, they agreed this should not have happened, and reversed it, but said it may have been something the merchant had done when coding the transaction.

Please watch your statements, especially if you purchased with Discover or presumably Citi (because Citi likes to code transactions as cash advance).

cfusion1 said:   Guys,

Just a warning.

Discover posted my Amazon gift cards from GiftCardStop as a cash advance 'pseudocash' and I was charged a cash advance fee.

After speaking with Discover, they agreed this should not have happened, and reversed it, but said it may have been something the merchant had done when coding the transaction.

Please watch your statements, especially if you purchased with Discover or presumably Citi (because Citi likes to code transactions as cash advance).

Same deal hear with a Fidelity Visa. Going to call today to put an end to it.

My guess is there is a delay to prevent fraudulent purchases. People can buy gift cards using PayPal or a credit card and immediately reverse the transaction. There are lots of scams out there.

DamnoIT said:   cfusion1 said:   Guys,

Just a warning.

Same deal hear with a Fidelity Visa. Going to call today to put an end to it.

Thanks for the warning. I checked my Amazon VISA, and thankfully the charge was appropriately registered as a retail sale, not a cash advance.

Sale is coded as a cash advance on my Priceline visa... thanks for the heads up.

Looks like they stopped the 10% off from working with Amazon GC's (not sure about others though). After coming back here and seeing the BBB rating post, I'm actually quite glad it didn't work!

mingwong said:   I didn't even get an email confirmation of my purchase.
Logged into the account on the website and Status says Pending though

FYI - my confirmation was in my (gmail) spam filter.

My cards came in my email just a bit ago. Added to my Amazon account with no problem. Thanks again, OP!

I received my $300 Amazon gift cards a minute ago.

Received my Amazon GC codes today.
I didn't get charged the cash advance fees, but did get the apology email - hopefully, I'll also get the "free" movie ticket.

The Amazon gc codes don't hit the spam folder do they? Just wondering because the confirmation email did.

Mine didn't. It came through normally.

finally! all came through and all redeemed. great thread!

Came through normally. If they run another deal I'll be back for more!

Link
Looks like they're running the same promotion at a sister website (also icardsystems)

10% off giftcards through this weekend (expiring Feb 24, 2013) with Promo Code: 10WKND

Except that The Delivery And Handling Fees (instead of the $3.95 flat fee per card) are:

$3.95/card for cards with a value of $10 - $100
$6.95/card for cards with a value of $101 - $200
$9.95/card for cards with a value of $201 - $300

so a $300 gift card would cost about $279 (7% savings)

RIPPED ME OFF!!!! Says "Redeemed" and I never got my Amazon.com gift card # from them. I will DISPUTE this with my Discover credit card company.
I keep sending them emails complaining about this and they say they will get back to me, but they never do.
I will never us GIFTCARDSTOP.com, again!! *#%@

I was charged 5% cash advance fee as it was charged as 'Cash advance' transaction. I got apology email from the GiftCardStop.com but not resolved yet.

chadypu2 said:   Sale is coded as a cash advance on my Priceline visa... thanks for the heads up.
This is what it is showing for me on the same card "Merchant Category: QUASI CASH - MERCHANT". Not showing a fee yet, statement doesn't close until 3/5.

Finally I was charged $42 cash advance fee and another few dollars interest. Bank said they are not responsible to the type of transaction and it is up to the merchant to charge with correct transaction type whether cash advance or product sale. Merchant said some banks charged as cash but not other banks and they said they are not responsible. I did end up with bunch of gift cards without any benefit. I am still waiting for another $300 gift cards and not yet received. I will never buy gift cards again. Lesson learned.

mikefxu said:   chadypu2 said:   Sale is coded as a cash advance on my Priceline visa... thanks for the heads up.
This is what it is showing for me on the same card "Merchant Category: QUASI CASH - MERCHANT". Not showing a fee yet, statement doesn't close until 3/5.

Guess I was one of the luck ones, no cash advance shown on statement.

Over 3 weeks and no cards. Called and e-mailed them, no reply. Disputed with CC. Stay away.

If you did Amazon GCs mine came in the form of codes in an email.

No, I needed Marriott

Yoksel said:   Over 3 weeks and no cards. Called and e-mailed them, no reply. Disputed with CC. Stay away.

I too did not receive one of them for $300. I called them but they asked me to send a notarized form. I had to pay $6 to get notarized as none of the banks willing to do notary due to the conditions in giftcardstop.com's form.
Very fishy, that form says it has to be sent only by fax and they don't accept through postal mail and they don't confirm whether they received fax or not.
Screwed again.
Any useful links to bring this scam to consumer protection authorities as well as make others aware of this scam. I consider this as a scam even though some people were successful in getting their orders. Believe me, so much frustration when we lose our hard earned money $300.

I agree it is scam. It's not fraud probably, but I feel their business model is simply take orders, charge the customer and then try to acquire the goods via whatever channels they have. If they manage to do it, they will deliver but if they can't turn enough profit they will sit on the customer's money until they find a good deal.

You can and probably should contact BBB although that is unlikely to help much. I think the best bet is disputing the transaction. It is not unusual to request a signed (and possibly notarized) form in such cases if they claim they have shipped out and you claim you haven't received but if I had to do one, I would rather send it to the bank and not to these guys.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014