• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower @ woot! - $129.99
Compare at $199.99
Shipping adds $5.00
Expires On: Feb 15, 2013 11:59pm

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Toro 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower
Thanks zimphella
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If you shovel snow even ONCE a year and dislike that chore, you're are crazy to pass this up if you can swing it. I bou... (more)

ohioindy (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 6:34p) |

doubt it... unless you used a credit card with price protection or something. It's really only 15 bucks difference....... (more)

mmyk72 (Feb. 15, 2013 @ 9:26p) |

Thanks bhoup and all,
The reason I was asking, was I want to know how good this Toro is so I might strike it.
I do current... (more)

pianoCM (Feb. 16, 2013 @ 9:12a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Toro
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good price, but there is something about dragging an electrical cord through the snow that makes me wonder. Electric lawn mower .... maybe, but an electric snow blower ..... don't know.

Not really a big deal as long as you are using a GFI; which every outside plug should be.

This item was super hot a month ago when AMZ had it for 150 - I got one and lived thru the Blizzard last week. At this price, it's even hotter!

I have had one of these for a few years and I really like it.

Pros:
1) Very lightweight. I can pick it up and carry it easily. Try that with a gas powered snow blower!
2) No gas so no maintenance. No oil refills. No tuneups. No stalling in cold weather. It always start. Never runs out of gas. Starts instantly on cold days. Wipe it off and put it away when done.
3) Stores easily. Small, does not take up a lot of space. You could probably even hang it up the garage.
4) Saves a lot of shoveling.
5) Relatively inexpensive.

Cons:
1) Need a long heavy duty power cord.
2) Should use a GFI protected outdoor outlet for safety.
3) During long use, the plug (on blower end) starts to vibrate loose. When it does, it can start to spark or smoke. I stop and tighten it every so often (This is my MAJOR gripe with this unit. They should really fix this by having something that holds the cord into the blower better. If you ignore the burning smell it will melt the plug on the power cord near the blower. Just tighten it every so often or when you smell the sparking and you are OK)
4) Not as fast as a gas blower.

We have a plow service that does our driveway (80 feet). I use this for cleanup around the garage door, the walkway, or to clear off the deck. When the snow is too little for the plow to come, I have used this to clear the driveway. It is not as fast as the large gas powered blowers. On the other hand it is easier to use. I used it after we got 3 feet of snow from the last blizzard. It is light enough that I could sit it on top of the 3 feet of snow and go back and forth until it got down to the bottom. It has saved a lot of shoveling.

I have a wrap around wooden deck that needs clearing. Living in "balmy" northern Vermont, that requires quite a few reps each winter. With durable plastic paddles, this puppy works like a charm. For about this same price, I bought a reconditioned unit 8 years ago. Still going strong.

Highly recommended, but . . . just remember not to run over that heavy duty electrical cord. (Please don't ask me how I know this. Thoughtful observation would be my answer. = )

Blow snow.

Almost got one of these. I opted to get a "real" snowblower (2 stage gas). I do not regret it at all. One of my neighbors has this and has a hard time occasionally. It seems to excel at small snows but doesn't handle big ones very well.

I've have one of these Toros for about 5 years. Great for milder climates that occasionally get dumped on. Besides it has an amazing ability to keep snow away for at least two years after you buy it causing your SO to question why you bought it.

Thanks op! I got one. what is the extension cord recommended for this?

good deal here but u really wish this was gas powered.

gregdoyle said:   good deal here but u really wish this was gas powered.

I've not yet seen a gas powered electric snow blower.

I just bought one. The Amazon reviews are pretty helpful & there are a lot of them.

Have had for a few years. Works great. I live in an area where many neighbors have the monstrous gas-powered snow blowers. Beyond 8"-10" of snow, it won't do it in one pass. However, since it's very light (we hang it on the wall in the garage), for super-deep snow, I can "skim" half of the snow by doing a top layer, then come back for the bottom layer of snow. That's only happened once, when it drifted a couple feet high in a few places.

I paid at least $100 more for this...and think that was a great deal.

I use a 12-3 cord, but I think a 14-3 will work. Check the printed manual in the box for clarification. Definitely don't use a cheap 16-3 cord.

Contrary to another post, I've never had problems with the cord coming loose from the unit. It has a built-in cord loop that keeps my cord secure until I choose to remove it.

Buy it and hope for snow!

MrOracle said:   I have had one of these for a few years and I really like it.
Cons:
3) During long use, the plug (on blower end) starts to vibrate loose. When it does, it can start to spark or smoke. I stop and tighten it every so often (This is my MAJOR gripe with this unit. They should really fix this by having something that holds the cord into the blower better. If you ignore the burning smell it will melt the plug on the power cord near the blower. Just tighten it every so often or when you smell the sparking and you are OK)

They sell extension cords with locks built into the end to prevent his from happening.

I use a 12 gauge 50 ft (I think 14 gauge works too, but the prices are only a few bucks apart so might as well get 12 ga).

I wrap the cord around the sides of the push handle and then plug it in, so there is no pulling on the plug during use. No problem so far - used it once for 6 hrs this weekend.

This extension cordlooks like is good, any suggestions on this?

mugambo said:   This extension cordlooks like is good, any suggestions on this?
Don't think it would qualify as a Hot Deal = ), but with the money you save on the excellent priced snow blower, this cord is a good "investment". Definitely more than enough for the job.

For readers that may not be aware, the lower the number (12, 14, etc.), the thicker the wire. Your owner's manual will let you know the minimum size wire that should be used.

I'm sure others will chime in if I'm confused . . . again.

mugambo said:   This extension cordlooks like is good, any suggestions on this?

It looks like the monster cable of extension cords.

Get a 12 ga extension cord that's it.

Does anyone know how good this one is? and comparing to the Snow Joe, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Joe-622U1-19-Inch-Electric/dp/B000VL2...

pianoCM said:   Does anyone know how good this one is? and comparing to the Snow Joe, like this:

I would go with the Snow Joe 620 model here. Overall, better reviews and it works great from my experience. I have seen elsewhere that the Snow Joes are better in the fact that some of the parts are made of metal vs. plastic on the Toros.

I think the only diff in the 2 SnowJoe's is one with light and one with no light. I was torn between the SJ (cheaper) and the Toro, but reading all the reviews made me go with the Toro. Personal preference.

gregdoyle said:   good deal here but u really wish this was gas powered.

If you live in snow country, not sure why you are looking at this. If you live where you occasionally get snow, gas is a burden. Most people don't dump their gas, nevermind change the oil yearly, so they have snowblowers that won't start at the first snow.

Consumer reports prefers the Toro over the SnowJoe. It's their highest rated single stage electric. But that's not saying a whole lot as they still are at the bottom of the food chain in their ratings.

i got the $149 toro too, any chance for a price match?

mmyk72 said:   This item was super hot a month ago when AMZ had it for 150 - I got one and lived thru the Blizzard last week. At this price, it's even hotter!

Only issue with Woot is no returns, you have to deal with the manufacture if you have issues.

If you shovel snow even ONCE a year and dislike that chore, you're are crazy to pass this up if you can swing it. I bought one of these 8 years ago and have used it MANY, MANY times each season in Ohio without any issues at all. I can clear my driveway faster than the neighbors who are using a larger gas multi-stage blower (I walk fast!). Unless the snow is well over 12" inches, it works like a charm. Even with larger amounts, you can make it work. I'm not a fan of any "electric" powered yard accessories and thought the power cord would be an issue too but after blowing a specific area a few times, you will find a pattern that works well without having to worry about the trailing cord at all (as long as you have plenty of length available). I'm thinking about buying another one as a backup at this price!

doubt it... unless you used a credit card with price protection or something. It's really only 15 bucks difference.... for that amount, I'm glad to have it in time for that NE Blizzard last weekend.

woyemihu said:   i got the $149 toro too, any chance for a price match?

mmyk72 said:   This item was super hot a month ago when AMZ had it for 150 - I got one and lived thru the Blizzard last week. At this price, it's even hotter!

bhoup said:   pianoCM said:   Does anyone know how good this one is? and comparing to the Snow Joe, like this:

I would go with the Snow Joe 620 model here. Overall, better reviews and it works great from my experience. I have seen elsewhere that the Snow Joes are better in the fact that some of the parts are made of metal vs. plastic on the Toros.

Thanks bhoup and all,
The reason I was asking, was I want to know how good this Toro is so I might strike it.
I do currently own the Snow Joe that I bought at Costco 2 or 3 years back and honestly, it's way under my expectation.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.