• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Desoldering Pump
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

"Desoldering Pump

Description:

Delightful Desoldering Our delovely desoldering device is de spring-loaded suction type, approx 8 to 10-3/4" long. Depress de pump, heat de circuit board pad, squeeze de button, and de solder deesappears. Devious little devil."

I had a different one, concidentally also yellow and blue, and one day when I released the plunger, the thing fell apart and the spring shot up.

These things sometimes damage the copper by suddenly knocking the board the moment the plunger is released, but a short length of rubber tubing can prevent that and actually improve the suction. The tubing has to be rubber (silicone is best), not vinyl (will melt).

didnt know pumps like this existed, always used braided copper wire to remove solder.

Honestly, solder wick with flux on it, usually works best for me. I find these things to be pretty flaky (although for $4 it might be worth having the tool available). I actually have two desoldering stations (imagine a soldering iron with a hollow tip, and tubing connected to an electric vacuum pump).

if it doesn't work for desoldering, use it to remove blackheads.

This works much better, although a bit more... Radio Shack desoldering iron

MrWizzard said:   "Desoldering Pump

Description:

Delightful Desoldering Our delovely desoldering device is de spring-loaded suction type, approx 8 to 10-3/4" long. Depress de pump, heat de circuit board pad, squeeze de button, and de solder deesappears. Devious little devil."

The color and description is nice but I doubt this has an anti-static housing and tip. Better to spend a few bucks if you're working with active components.

Dano

teargas said:   This works much better, although a bit more... Radio Shack desoldering iron
It's the best thing under $150-200, and it can be made to work better on multilayer boards if the area above the tip is wrapped in high temperature insulation (rock wool, muffler bandage). I cut the pipe going to the suction bulb and reconnected them with a piece of silicone rubber to prevent heat from traveling up the pipe.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014