Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Apple MacBook Core2Duo 2Ghz 2GB RAM 120GB HD 13"
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

For a Macbook, that's almost free right? I mean it's two, maybe three generations of CPU old but hey it's a MAC. I'm surprised this isn't 20 green by now.

I can not recommend this. MUCH better options at $400. BTW, I am typing this on a 2012 Air.

mase123987 said:   I can not recommend this. MUCH better options at $400. BTW, I am typing this on a 2012 Air.

really? do you link to any such offer or share one? not that I can see.

If a Mac is a must, I would recommend searching locally on craigslist or other such services. Often can find better deals for older computers. Obviously you can find a new PC that will be faster than this.

$400 is a lot of money to spend on a computer that is old. And yes, Core2Duo is old.

mase123987 said:   If a Mac is a must, I would recommend searching locally on craigslist or other such services. Often can find better deals for older computers. Obviously you can find a new PC that will be faster than this.

$400 is a lot of money to spend on a computer that is old. And yes, Core2Duo is old.

come on.... I can say search on Craigslist for any deal for a better possible price.

This is an APPLE CERTIFIED refurb with a warranty. Not someone's used computer they no longer want. there is a difference.

MISTERCHEAP said:   mase123987 said:   If a Mac is a must, I would recommend searching locally on craigslist or other such services. Often can find better deals for older computers. Obviously you can find a new PC that will be faster than this.

come on.... I can say search on Craigslist for any deal for a better possible price.

This is an APPLE CERTIFIED refurb with a warranty. Not someone's used computer they no longer want. there is a difference.

You might want to check your own deal. Read the following from your deal:
"Item Condition

All of our Macbooks are just off lease from Apple. They have been tested and work perfectly. Cosmetically they are in good condition but will show some signs of use.

Outer casing will show some light scratching and possibly minor cracks.

Screens work perfectly but may show some minor light spots.
Batteries are all tested and guaranteed to hold a charge.
Some units may have cracked palm rest or screen bezels from where the magnet in the lid has been closed. This is a very common problem with these and most can be taken to your local Apple Store for a free repair. "

"Warranty
A 30 day replacement warranty is included with your purchase. Please feel free to email us for further information regarding our warranty policy. "

If these were refurbs from Apple, there wouldn't be units with cracked palm rests or screen bezels. The listing says NOTHING about being Apple certified, just that they were off lease. It says nothing about an warranty from Apple, just a 30 day from the seller. Maybe you should read better.

mase123987 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   mase123987 said:   If a Mac is a must, I would recommend searching locally on craigslist or other such services. Often can find better deals for older computers. Obviously you can find a new PC that will be faster than this.

"Item Condition

All of our Macbooks are just off lease from Apple. They have been tested and work perfectly. Cosmetically they are in good condition but will show some signs of use.

Some units may have cracked palm rest or screen bezels from where the magnet in the lid has been closed. This is a very common problem with these and most can be taken to your local Apple Store for a free repair. "

"Warranty
A 30 day replacement warranty is included with your purchase. Please feel free to email us for further information regarding our warranty policy. "

If these were refurbs from Apple, there wouldn't be units with cracked palm rests or screen bezels. The listing says NOTHING about being Apple certified, just that they were off lease. It says nothing about an warranty from Apple, just a 30 day from the seller. Maybe you should read better.

Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the sellerís listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab

MISTERCHEAP said:   mase123987 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   mase123987 said:   If a Mac is a must, I would recommend searching locally on craigslist or other such services. Often can find better deals for older computers. Obviously you can find a new PC that will be faster than this.

"Item Condition

"Warranty

Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the sellerís listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab

Have you used eBay before? That is a generic description from eBay. You never just read that. You ALWAYS read through the description the seller provides to get details.

As mase123987 clearly posted from the actual listing these are simply used laptops with a bare bones 30 day warranty. Not a hot deal at all.

"Some units may have cracked palm rest or screen bezels from where the magnet in the lid has been closed. This is a very common problem with these and most can be taken to your local Apple Store for a free repair." It says most can be taken for free repair... not a guarantee. I also see it only comes with a 30 day warranty- granted that's 30 days more than a craigslist machine, but not much more. With regard to the Craigslist challenge- within 30 seconds I found a Macbook Pro 17inch display and 2.33ghz for just over $400 OBO. I'd rather one like that and if concerned do a square trade type warranty. This might be an ok deal, but IMHO not a "green" deal.

kapalacc said:   "Some units may have cracked palm rest or screen bezels from where the magnet in the lid has been closed. This is a very common problem with these and most can be taken to your local Apple Store for a free repair." It says most can be taken for free repair... not a guarantee. I also see it only comes with a 30 day warranty- granted that's 30 days more than a craigslist machine, but not much more. With regard to the Craigslist challenge- within 30 seconds I found a Macbook Pro 17inch display and 2.33ghz for just over $400 OBO. I'd rather one like that and if concerned do a square trade type warranty. This might be an ok deal, but IMHO not a "green" deal.

I found the same computer with a NEW battery for $275 on craigslist, which means you can probably get it for $225 to $250.

I don't see this being a good deal. These are used laptops, not refurbished, and definitely not refurbished by Apple - where the item is practically new and has a 1 year warranty. Generally you get a cheap Mac because you really want to run OSX but don't want to pay for new hardware - even then, this is overpriced at $400. I'd sooner go with a refurb Mac Mini if I needed OSX, or something from Craigslist if I needed it to be a laptop.

MISTERCHEAP said:   come on.... I can say search on Craigslist for any deal for a better possible price.

Are you the person selling these? That's about the only reason I can see that anyone would defend such a stupid deal, unless they're just an ignorant idiot with inappropriate emotional attachments to "their deal."

This is a seriously bad buy. Used laptops (and that's exactly what these are--Apple hasn't touched them since they left the factory 3-4 years ago) should never be bought sight unseen.

mase123987 said:   
I found the same computer with a NEW battery for $275 on craigslist, which means you can probably get it for $225 to $250.

If you don't get mugged first

You show me a decent Apple laptop with new battery for $225 to $250 from a reputable source please. Not defending this "deal" as I agree it isn't much of one but let's be realistic. Apple products hold high resale value, and it really doesn't matter if it's used, refurbished, or otherwise. One could get a gem from either category but that's not a regular walk right in and buy it price.

And I've seen the PC laptops at $400 and below...build quality is horrendous. Just saying.

The auction listing indicates 68 have been sold. Amazing. I see that used MacBook PRO laptops with Core 2 Duo processors sometimes sell for $400+, but these are just plastic MacBooks.

i guess somebody wants it because it just got sold for $404!

I have the same model Macbook, but Pro version.
It is still running C2Duo, 4GB RAM, and I upgraded the disk to use 128GB SSD.
I am running OSX Mountain Lion and this machine is still holding up very well for day2day usage performance (browsing, email, video, etc).

I am not defending this deal as well, as I don't think it is "Hot enough" to qualify to be fatwallet posted. But I am sure someone out there who wants a cheap macbook would appreciate the headsup.

I have an imac with 2gb of ram at work, just updated to 10.8, even browsing web pages with safari or firefox or chrome slows to a crawl. 1 out of 5 times it hangs with the beach ball for 30 seconds when I open any app. Its a brand new partition.
Any PC with Windows 7 with 2gb will allow web browsing with no issue.

Microcenter also sells them for $399.99 (Open Box from $339.96):

http://microcenter.com/product/392917/MacBook_Laptop_Computer_Re...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014