• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples has 4tb desktop drive for $159.99 at Staples.com. Good deal lowest I've seen so Far. STCA4000100

http://www.staples.com/Seagate-Backup-Plus-4TB-Desktop-USB-30-Ex...

Member Summary

Seagate External Hard Drive
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Damn it, waited too long to pull the trigger and it's dead now... showing OOS! >:-<

Mulox (Feb. 18, 2013 @ 1:55p) |

This? Why, you can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

reddhead (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 6:17a) |

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Mulox (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 9:04a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Has Seagate cleaned up its quality yet or would this be 4TB of unrecoverable data, as opposed to the 120G, 500G, and 1TB clickers that pissed me off a few years ago?
(pretty sure I have a few carcasses around, just to remind me to stay away from Seagate)

I have 4 clickers in a box I use to prop my feet up - and to remind me to never buy Seagate again.

I had a 1.5TB that didn't last 24 hours before clicking. But have a 2.5" 500GB drive that is coming up on 2 years. I also have a 2TB Barracuda in an actively cooled enclosure that is still good after 1.5 years.

sixt7gt350 said:   Has Seagate cleaned up its quality yet or would this be 4TB of unrecoverable data, as opposed to the 120G, 500G, and 1TB clickers that pissed me off a few years ago?
(pretty sure I have a few carcasses around, just to remind me to stay away from Seagate)

Seagate drives are currently no worse than WD.

$25 off of $75 coupon to make the deal even sweeter?

What all can I do with 4TB?

UAIron said:   $25 off of $75 coupon to make the deal even sweeter?
can I apply the $25 off coupon???
the coupon states "can not apply with instant savings or other coupons"...
thanks

Alternatively , Amazon has it for $161.49. 4 star reviews over there. Don't know if the 25/75 coupon works for Staples, if it does I would jump on this.
Thanks OP.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Desktop-External-STCA400010...

thanks OP.. applied 40 off 100 coupon

Amazon has it also for only $2 more (plus Prime option) just in case they sell out.

Link

I too successfully applied a $25 off $75 coupon (on top of the $8 coupon they give, which is already factored into the $159.99 price).

Now I just need another one so I can mirror them. Too many dead drives from all the manufacturers for me to trust my data to just a single drive anymore.

VicVinegar said:   I had a 1.5TB that didn't last 24 hours before clicking.

Not 24 hours but last week, I had a new Seagate 1.5 go out within 7 days after it replaced another Seagate 1.5 that had died. Just saying.

The 1.5TB were terrible when they were released. The firmware was very unstable and would brick the drives quickly. I bought 3 at the time and all 3 died. I was able to RMA them after they had issued a firmware fixed for all the problems. After that I haven't heard of anything worse. If you're getting dead drives it may have the old firmware on it.

This is a good deal for 4TB. I need coupons to make it better though

Just bought Seagate 3TB from JR: http://www.jr.com/seagate/pe/SAG_STCA3000101/
Using code ATJANDR, it drops to 119.99. $40 per TB, same as this 4TB @159.99.

Purchased with my Discover Shopper, I can get 5% Cash Back and one additional year extended warranty.

Don't know when JR will do the price match for 4TB, hope it could be $159.99-10.

JR has no tax for me.

same as costco 159.99$ b&w

used my $40 rewards and Staples $20 off $100 to get this at $105 OTD. Thanks OP

rockymast said:   What all can I do with 4TB?

Lose more data, on a single drive failure, than anyone thought was humanly possible.

CCbbaa said:   thanks OP.. applied 40 off 100 coupon

Where can I get that coupon?

dewvillage said:   used my $40 rewards and Staples $20 off $100 to get this at $105 OTD. Thanks OP

Exactly how can I do? I'm a little confused.

benben888 said:   Just bought Seagate 3TB from JR: http://www.jr.com/seagate/pe/SAG_STCA3000101/
Using code ATJANDR, it drops to 119.99. $40 per TB, same as this 4TB @159.99.

Purchased with my Discover Shopper, I can get 5% Cash Back and one additional year extended warranty.

Don't know when JR will do the price match for 4TB, hope it could be $159.99-10.

JR has no tax for me.

Does Discover automatically extend the warranty to all cardholders for all purchases like AMEX does? Extends it to double up to an additional year?

You could store some of the useless FW posts people like you make when a 4 TB hard drive goes on sale. Probably need a few 4 TB hard drives to store them all though.

My first hard drive was a Seagate ST-251 40 MB MFM hard drive. I've been listening to geniuses proclaim, "Why would you need x storage" and similar comments for almost 25 years.

Some of us store home videos. Some of us store movies. Some of us store TV shows. In other words, some of us make practical use of the technology that you apparently can't imagine.

Logan71 said:   rockymast said:   What all can I do with 4TB?

Lose more data, on a single drive failure, than anyone thought was humanly possible.

If you're trusting important data to ANY single drive, 4TB or otherwise, I feel bad for you son.
I got 99 problems, but a drive failure ain't one.

Amazon has at similar price no tax & free ship may be better depending on any coupon(s) you could use with Staple and your tax rate.

Also I bought 2 of these at $179 and been very happy with them. Like all drives you should have a backup plan consisting of both on and off-site storage. Drives fail no matter the brand or price.

I have a 25 off coupon to sweeten the deal, thanks OP! I need 2 to setup a mirror... curious if anyone has opened the cases on these to use as standard internal desktop drives?

Sidenote... to all those crying "Seagate sucks, my XX TB drive died" stories. Yes, that sucks for you, but your experience is 1 out of 800,000 drives sold in the last 2 years, and does NOT constitute a significant representative sample of all drives. Rather than continuing a knee-jerk emotional reaction, consider the facts:

1. Address the root cause... as was mentioned already about a simple firmware update fixing the issue
2. It is inevitable that ALL mechanical drives WILL fail some day, regardless of manufacturer, it's just a matter a time! This is an inherent flaw of mech drives, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it! This is the whole reason RAID was invented!
3. At today's prices, it is a no-brainer to use mirroring. Since all drives have the same warranty anymore, the only thing that truly matters is the data, and if you re-read point #2, there is NO reason you should have critical data on a single drive...

Oh, and BTW, I have 22 Seagate brand drives in 2 servers from 1.5 to 3 TB running hot for 2-3 years now with no issues.

Damn it, waited too long to pull the trigger and it's dead now... showing OOS! >:-<

This? Why, you can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014