• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
VivYip said:   There was an email this morning with maybe 17 coupons...these had barcodes on them

(as for emails...sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't also.)

http://ebm.e.staples.com/c/tag/hBRI4bJB7SHGCB8w5fnCXvmJ8yn/doc.html is what I saw in email

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/hBRI4bJB7SHGCB8w5fnCXvmJ8yn/coupon.html?n=2258 is the link for the coupons, i think

The case paper coupon should also be in your Staples Rewards coupon wallet today.

billrubin said:   VivYip said:   pdf'd coupons attachedWas there an email sent out with these? I did not receive any emails from them today. Thanks for posting.Same here. No email blast. I got many an email yesterday with HP ink coupons. Speaking of HP ink, even though my 10% ink discount from the generic recycling was supposed to expire on 11/30/12, it is still showing up when logged into Staples.com. Not sure it would show up on a store purchase but don't see any reason it would not since the discount shows up online and both are linked to the generic promo.

I finally got a bunch of emails with the coupons.

aarzi said:   Four or five hundred spindles? Well, you got me beat there. I counted tis morning, and I have only 382 spindles. And some of them are for only 50 disks.

And I thought the ~20 spindles I still have around was crazy!

LorenPechtel said:   And I thought the ~20 spindles I still have around was crazy!

I have a couple spindles of CD blanks that I paid $2 each for ($2 PER DISC, not per spindle). It's not that I overpaid. That's how much they were at one time... to go into my $1200 2x CD burner. I don't have the museum-piece burner any more, but I still have plenty of CDs left. I wonder if they still work.

I had what I thought was a bizzare transaction.

I used in order:
a. balance coupon - expiring Feb.
b. rewards cert - expiring Feb
c. rewards cert - expiring July ($10)
d. rewards cert - expiring July ($18)

The final receipt:
- Ignored "c" - but used more money from "d" instead of "c" and confused the heck out of me since the "balance coupon" was $10 smaller.
- The balance coupon that it printed out expires in Feb even though "a" and "b" were not enough to cover the transaction fully. What the heck!

Does anybody understand the Staples algorithm for this stuff?

Two separate issues here.

- Assuming your total was a+b+c+partial d, and the cashier rung them up in that order, you would have received a balance coupon of d-partial. I am guessing c was rung up last, and did not matter to the transaction. Since it was expiring in July, you should not have used it in the first place. It is better to have a $10 rewards cert + $2 balance coupon as opposed to having a $12 balance coupon.

- As for the algorithm, you will receive a balance coupon from the first rewards cert you use. So if you have certs expiring March, April, and May, curb the instinct to use March cert first and May cert last. Use May cert first. You will receive a balance coupon for May.

Additional info: If you partially use a rewards cert within 3 days of expiration, or upto 7 days after, you will get a balance coupon with an extended expiration date 30 days after the original date. Or you can use the original or balance upto 7 days after expiration without needing over-ride.

aarzi said:   Two separate issues here.

- Assuming your total was a+b+c+partial d, and the cashier rung them up in that order, you would have received a balance coupon of d-partial. I am guessing c was rung up last, and did not matter to the transaction. Since it was expiring in July, you should not have used it in the first place. It is better to have a $10 rewards cert + $2 balance coupon as opposed to having a $12 balance coupon.

- As for the algorithm, you will receive a balance coupon from the first rewards cert you use. So if you have certs expiring March, April, and May, curb the instinct to use March cert first and May cert last. Use May cert first. You will receive a balance coupon for May.

Additional info: If you partially use a rewards cert within 3 days of expiration, or upto 7 days after, you will get a balance coupon with an extended expiration date 30 days after the original date. Or you can use the original or balance upto 7 days after expiration without needing over-ride.

a,b,c,d were done in the order that I mentioned.

Really good point about using May cert first - goes against any logical thinking - will keep it in mind for future. Thanks!

aarzi said:   - Assuming your total was a+b+c+partial d, and the cashier rung them up in that order, you would have received a balance coupon of d-partial. I am guessing c was rung up last, and did not matter to the transaction.

If your purchase total is $20 and submit rewards of $10 and then $25, the register would ignore the $10 reward and return a balance coupon of $5.

VivYip said:   
Rebate #13-46283 info here: https://www.stapleseasyrebates.com/promocenter/staples/promo_detail.html?productId=7672912&bundleId=1786078

Product: Staples Multipurpose Paper 8.5 x 11 Inch Ream
Rebate reward: $6.99 Check
Purchase dates: 02-17-2013 through 02-23-2013
Postmark date: Purchase Date Plus 60 Days
Promotion: $6.99 Rebate on a Staples Multipurpose Paper 8.5 x 11 Inch Ream (SKU 513099) at Staples Stores ONLY
Promotion details:
Purchase must be made between 02/17/13 and 02/23/13. Requests MUST be submitted online or postmarked within 60 days from date of purchase. To submit online go to www.stapleseasyrebates.com and follow the instructions. To mail rebate Staples STORE PURCHASE: Send ONLY the completed ORIGINAL rebate redemption form printed from the cash register, the ORIGINAL submission form printed from www.stapleseasyrebates.com, or the ORIGINAL PDF submission form provided by a Staples store. Offer valid in US only. Good for actual purchases by end users; excludes resellers and distributors of products and their families. You should receive your rebate within 4-6 weeks after claim is received. All rebates will be made in US dollars. We are not responsible for lost or misdirected mail and illegible entries. Staples logo and product names are trademarks of Staples and their respective companies. Limit 1 rebate per name/address/household. For questions about your rebate call 1-877-266-6483. Fraudulent submissions could result in federal prosecution under the U.S. Mail Fraud Statutes (18 USC, Section 1341 & 1342). Keep a copy of your documents for future reference.

Rebate by check! Thank goodness!! No gift cards is always a plus for me.

the transactions for the paper are showing up...

my question is, how did they get a "coupon" of $8.06 for my 5-ream transaction?

Item No Item Description Qty. Price Coupons Total Spend Rewards Earned
990176 990176 - SPLS 8.5X11 COPY 20/92 5RM CS
Rewards Back 5 Ream Case Paper 2 $24.99 -$8.06 $41.92 $40.00

I can understand 4.99x2, but that'd be 9.98, not 8.06

Can someone explain the math to me, please? Thank you

VivYip said:   Can someone explain the math to me, please?

Prorated to other item(s).

c3 said:   aarzi said:   - Assuming your total was a+b+c+partial d, and the cashier rung them up in that order, you would have received a balance coupon of d-partial. I am guessing c was rung up last, and did not matter to the transaction.

If your purchase total is $20 and submit rewards of $10 and then $25, the register would ignore the $10 reward and return a balance coupon of $5.

Yup, the register doesn't care what order the cashier scans them in. It re-organizes them to use the least number possible, IIRC.

VivYip said:   the transactions for the paper are showing up...

my question is, how did they get a "coupon" of $8.06 for my 5-ream transaction?

Item No Item Description Qty. Price Coupons Total Spend Rewards Earned
990176 990176 - SPLS 8.5X11 COPY 20/92 5RM CS
Rewards Back 5 Ream Case Paper 2 $24.99 -$8.06 $41.92 $40.00

I can understand 4.99x2, but that'd be 9.98, not 8.06

Can someone explain the math to me, please? Thank you
As C3 said proration. The computation on these rewards seems a bit different than usual. The math seems to be Quantity purchased x $25 - any coupons/rewards used. If $ amount is less than $20 x Quantity purchased use that figure. Else Quanity purchased x $20. Seems like they fixed the loophole where rewards were rolling last summer when using rewards on fixed dollar amount rewards products.

I now see...they applied the coupon for the paper to the 3 lysol...sigh...guess I'll have to call them. Thanks for the explanation

mathfaster said:   Seems like they fixed the loophole where rewards were rolling last summer when using rewards on fixed dollar amount rewards products.Disappointing. I'd be thrilled to buy 2 and use a $40 Rewards certificate but I'm not interested in getting yet another $40 in Rewards.

billrubin said:   mathfaster said:   Seems like they fixed the loophole where rewards were rolling last summer when using rewards on fixed dollar amount rewards products.Disappointing. I'd be thrilled to buy 2 and use a $40 Rewards certificate but I'm not interested in getting yet another $40 in Rewards.But rewards did roll for Metsfan(?) but all other posts where people used coupons or rewards the rewards were not rolling.

PrincipalMember said:   

a,b,c,d were done in the order that I mentioned.

Really good point about using May cert first - goes against any logical thinking - will keep it in mind for future. Thanks!

OK - I have another question for you Staples wizards.

So let us say, I have a $10 rewards expiring Feb 28th and another $25 expiring on May 31.

What happens if I buy a $25 item? Looks like my choices are:

1. Use the $10 first and then $25. Based on what I have read until now, looks like the Staples intelligence machine kicks in and ignores the $10.

2. Use $25 first. And then I cannot use $10 since there is no balance left.

So bottomline is that I would be somewhat in a pickle in this situation. And I would say that the same thing would apply if I had a $20 item that I wanted to purchase.

[Note this was a real life example I was dealing with. Luckily they had the photo paper in stock for 2x$15. So I was able to apply the $25 first and $10 next and it spit out $5 with future rewards and didn't get to test their system with the $25 purchase].

There may be better options out there, but you can:

- with the $10 reward, buy a piece of gum or something on the 26th or later. you will get a balance coupon expiring end of March.
- with the $25 reward, buy item X worth $10. buy your $25 item with the balance coupon plus the $10 reward. return item X.

mathfaster said:   billrubin said:   mathfaster said:   Seems like they fixed the loophole where rewards were rolling last summer when using rewards on fixed dollar amount rewards products.Disappointing. I'd be thrilled to buy 2 and use a $40 Rewards certificate but I'm not interested in getting yet another $40 in Rewards.But rewards did roll for Metsfan(?) but all other posts where people used coupons or rewards the rewards were not rolling.

It's interesting that since then they've released a coupon specifically for this... and it seems to not affect rewards at all. I wonder if they make a distinction between coupons and rewards in their system now. I'm almost tempted to buy another 2 half cases...

metsfan said:   mathfaster said:   billrubin said:   mathfaster said:   Seems like they fixed the loophole where rewards were rolling last summer when using rewards on fixed dollar amount rewards products.Disappointing. I'd be thrilled to buy 2 and use a $40 Rewards certificate but I'm not interested in getting yet another $40 in Rewards.But rewards did roll for Metsfan(?) but all other posts where people used coupons or rewards the rewards were not rolling.

It's interesting that since then they've released a coupon specifically for this... and it seems to not affect rewards at all. I wonder if they make a distinction between coupons and rewards in their system now. I'm almost tempted to buy another 2 half cases...
Why it worked for you, I have no clue. What I think they did for this reward is to calucalate as $25 - coupons/rewards. If difference is less than $20 use lesser amount. Else, give $20 in rewards. That is what it appears to be from what I have seen of posts where people got less than $20.

I have no idea how the rewards are calculated. Last week I bought the 2 half cases of paper along with the free after rebates photo paper, ream paper and mechanical pencils. I used the $4.99 coupons for the half cases and a $10 off $75 coupon. On the receipt, for the half cases it shows the $4.99 coupon off each and $2.47 off for one and $2.48 for the other one from the $10 coupon. Total was $71 plus taxes. When the rewards posted last night I earned $39 in rewards for the half cases. I was expecting it to be either $40 or $35.

FYI - the 20% bag coupon worked on the 5 case promo. Cashier may have forgot to scan 5 ream coupon twice, so maybe they stack. Worth a shot!

harry12345 said:   I have no idea how the rewards are calculated. Last week I bought the 2 half cases of paper along with the free after rebates photo paper, ream paper and mechanical pencils. I used the $4.99 coupons for the half cases and a $10 off $75 coupon. On the receipt, for the half cases it shows the $4.99 coupon off each and $2.47 off for one and $2.48 for the other one from the $10 coupon. Total was $71 plus taxes. When the rewards posted last night I earned $39 in rewards for the half cases. I was expecting it to be either $40 or $35.The rewards system prorates coupons across all items regardless whether they are product specific or not.

Math ...

$24.99 + $24.99 + $14.99 + $14.99 + $6.99 + $3.99 = $90.94 - $19.98 coupons.

$49.98 (paper) / $90.94 (pre-coupon total) = 55% (portion of coupons to be allocated to 2 half cases)

$19.98 * .55 = $10.99 (coupons applied to 2 half cases)

$49.98 - $10.99 = $38.99 rewards (the lesser of $40 or post-coupon amount).

kirku said:   FYI - the 20% bag coupon worked on the 5 case promo. Cashier may have forgot to scan 5 ream coupon twice, so maybe they stack. Worth a shot!How much of a discount did you get for the 20% coupon? $5 or $10?

billrubin said:   kirku said:   FYI - the 20% bag coupon worked on the 5 case promo. Cashier may have forgot to scan 5 ream coupon twice, so maybe they stack. Worth a shot!How much of a discount did you get for the 20% coupon? $5 or $10?

bag coupon for $5 off one case, email coupon for $4.99 off the other case. I didn't think of it till after I walked out to remember if he scanned email coupon twice or not.

Some where in this or the other thread, I remember reading 'Mathfaster' mentioning about the new Staples app generating new coupons or something like that. If u don't mind, can u please share what the new app is ?
I have android on my TP, which used to generate coupons with fake location setup , but now though the fake location is set, I can't check into Staples store at all. Not sure if this new app mentioned here is an update needed to start generating again?

Please don't mind, as I remember reading here and hence had to ask in one of the active threads.
TIA

MysteriousGirl said:   Some where in this or the other thread, I remember reading 'Mathfaster' mentioning about the new Staples app generating new coupons or something like that. If u don't mind, can u please share what the new app is ?
I have android on my TP, which used to generate coupons with fake location setup , but now though the fake location is set, I can't check into Staples store at all. Not sure if this new app mentioned here is an update needed to start generating again?

Please don't mind, as I remember reading here and hence had to ask in one of the active threads.
TIA

Check the app store and see if an update is available. It was around a week or so ago that it updated. if you already have the update then uninstall it and reinstall it. It has been working for me with fake gps.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014