• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
I have assembled quite an arsenal of rechargeables. Sounds like this thing makes sense to get the longest life out of them.

in 4 1 been looking for this charger for a while now ^^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DL9WDG/

^^ Good smart charger + 4 2000mah AA's for a little less.

comes up at $39. No code given for discount to $24. Shouldn't be expired yet. Am I missing something?

comes up at $39. No code given for discount to $24. Shouldn't be expired yet. Am I missing something?

Milod said:   comes up at $39. No code given for discount to $24. Shouldn't be expired yet. Am I missing something?

Make sure you select Amazon as the seller, not a 3rd party.

Great find. I often buy at Amazon.com. Thanks for sharing this deal.

BlueSeaLake said:   I don't understand, why would anyone pay so much for this, when you can buy a charger that does 4 AA or 4 AAA batteries for about $12 ?
When I can purchase a Lexus which is on sale, why just get a TOYOTA?

I had this charger on my wishlist @ Amazon to keep track of price, this is a good deal!

I ended up getting a Maha MH-C808M 8 Cell Multi-Charger for AA/AAA/C/D for almost 3x the price of the BC-700 a few days ago, only because I decided to invest in rechargeable D cell batteries. Otherwise, I would have snagged the La Crosse BC-700. Green for OP regardless

BlueSeaLake said:   I'm not neg'ing your post, but ....
I don't understand, why would anyone pay so much for this, when you can buy a charger that does 4 AA or 4 AAA batteries for about $12 ?

Please explain so I can support the economy
Cheap (dumb) chargers do not properly detect the true charge level of a battery. They easily overcharge cells which prematurely kill them. I had a cheapo charger way back that I used on Powerizer NiMH cells (before Eneloops were common). I thought the cells sucked because they lost capacity fast. After I got the LaCrosse, the old Powerizer cells that survived the cheapo charger started working really well. So well in fact that they gave Eneloops a run for the money. The LaCrosse even revived some of the cells that I had left for dead.

The only way to get thousands of charges out of a battery is to use a good smart charger. Cheap out with a dumb charger and you'll be lucky to squeeze out a few hundred cycles, maybe as little as a few dozen.

This smart charger will tell you the current mAh capacity of each battery. For instance, you do not want to pair a 2000mAh battery with a used 2000mAh battery that has decayed to 1500 mAh or you will throw the weak battery into reverse polarity and destroy it and possibly the device it is in. A dumb charger cannot top off two batteries with one circuit, one of the two will either be overcharged or undercharged.

Thousands of cycles? That's just fantasy-land.

slickdeal45 said:   Thousands of cycles? That's just fantasy-land.If you're being sarcastic, you did a poor job of portraying it.

I've approached a thousand cycles with some old Powerizer cells and they're at 80-90% of original capacity. The newest Eneloops are rated at 1500 cycles.

1500 is not thousands. I'm no expert in batteries, but I've got a wide variety of experience with a few different types of chemistries. Thousands of cycles is quite unrealistic.

Good charger but old technology. Does not handle Lithium batteries. Get a Nitecore instaed.

Out of stock at Amazon, but you can still order at the sale price and they'll email when it's restocked.

fatboy58 said:   Good charger but old technology. Does not handle Lithium batteries. Get a Nitecore instaed.Devices that come with rechargeable lithium cells have their own chargers. Other lithium cells aren't rechargeable as far as I know. If someone sells general purpose rechargeable lithium cells this is the first I've heard of it.

Outside of the eclectic laser & flashlight market, very few AA or AAA consumer devices will take 3.7v lithium ion batteries without going poof. And a Nitecore in the same price range will not recondition or report available storage capacity of the batteries.

For some, new tech does not mean better tech.

KuoH

fatboy58 said:   Good charger but old technology. Does not handle Lithium batteries. Get a Nitecore instaed.

KuoH said:   Outside of the eclectic laser & flashlight market, very few AA or AAA consumer devices will take 3.7v lithium ion batteries without going poof.Or Boeing 787s

VegasVegan said:   BlueSeaLake said:   I'm not neg'ing your post, but ....
I don't understand, why would anyone pay so much for this, when you can buy a charger that does 4 AA or 4 AAA batteries for about $12 ?

Please explain so I can support the economy

I thought the same thing until I decided to start using more expensive Enloop type batteries. I started looking at the benefits over "dumb chargers".

One is you can charge 1,2,3 or 4 at a time. no need to charge in pairs like with some chargers. You can set the charge rate. If you need them fast charge them hot, but if you have time use the cooler setting and save some battery life.

Being a "smart charger" it knows when to shut down.

It has a refresh mode. Can bring long dead batteries back to life. I had a bunch of old nicad and nimh batteries sitting in a drawer for many years that wouldn't hold a charge anymore. A few cycles through refresh mode and they are back in service.

After you charge a battery if you leave it in the charger it will trickle charge the batteries to keep them topped off and ready to go. Great for those non-Enloop type batteries.

I'm sure there are other benefits and maybe some other members will chime in. I suggest reading some online review about this charger and deciding if you need it. I can almost guarantee you will get a longer life out of your batteries with a "smart charger".

You basically nailed it but would add or emphasize the charge each battery separately. On dumb chargers they charge all the batteries until the one with the most charge is full then quits leaving the other 1 or 3 batteries only partially charged and thus creating low battery memory. Yes, I know NIMH is not supposed to have memory but they prove otherwise. And the refresh mode on this helps the batteries back to their full potential by discarding and recharging them back up over and over till they are back (sometimes have to do this more than once).

The other thing I use mine for is the eneloop/pre-charged/low self discharge batteries actually perform better after they have been discharged and charged a few times, meaning keeping its charge longer and not that they will top off higher. For example a fresh battery might lose 40% charge after year where a batter run down and charged up a few times keep a 25% charge after sitting for a year.

BTW have had this charger for a couple of years now and still works like a charm.

Absolutely no reason a charger can't handle every type of chemistry. Check the Linear Technology web site.
LaCrosse is simply out dated. Lithium has much better power density.

fatboy58 said:   Good charger but old technology. Does not handle Lithium batteries. Get a Nitecore instaed.

Lithium always has it's own chargers. You don't charge lithiums other than with a charger meant for the batteries in question--an overcharged lithium is prone to going *BOOM*.

I have had a La Crosse charger for four years and love it. I think its the same model, although mine is blue and not gray. The only issue I have is that if a battery is really discharged, sometimes the charger won't recognize it. You can bypass this problem one of two ways: 1. Put it on a dumb charger for 30 seconds or so, or if you have one working and one not, get a paperclip and stick one end on the positive side of the two batteries while its plugged in. It will force the charge through the paperclip and then the charger will recognize it after a few seconds. There's not much current running through there, but still be careful.

but can it charge 18650s (rhetorical). Pointless expenditure for those of us with a gazillion alkalines from numerous fw deals.

hakujin said:   but can it charge 18650s (rhetorical). Pointless expenditure for those of us with a gazillion alkalines from numerous fw deals.

NO, voltage difference is huge and NiMH is probably not going out any time soon. Alkaline have 1.5v, NiMH is 1.2, and Li-Ion is 3.7 so will fry most electronics. I you notice your flashlights are not quite as bright with NiMH but last much longer voltage is why and if you used a Li-Ion would fry most current electronics. Until the whole industry starts making thing for 3.7v draw then NiMH will be very relevant. That is probably why the Flash Light industry has embraced Li-Ion. Most electronics simply wont require that high voltage so if you are thinking of waiting till everything is converted, then you will be waiting a while.

side-topic: I have a lacrosse and love it, but would like a compact charger for travel. is there such a thing as a compact charger with flip out plugs that: 1) does individual cell charging with intelligent stop and hopefully 2) adjustable charging rates.

birdogoply said:   hakujin said:   but can it charge 18650s (rhetorical). Pointless expenditure for those of us with a gazillion alkalines from numerous fw deals.

NO, voltage difference is huge and NiMH is probably not going out any time soon. Alkaline have 1.5v, NiMH is 1.2, and Li-Ion is 3.7 so will fry most electronics. I you notice your flashlights are not quite as bright with NiMH but last much longer voltage is why and if you used a Li-Ion would fry most current electronics. Until the whole industry starts making thing for 3.7v draw then NiMH will be very relevant. That is probably why the Flash Light industry has embraced Li-Ion. Most electronics simply wont require that high voltage so if you are thinking of waiting till everything is converted, then you will be waiting a while.
that 'while' will be satiated by the gazillion alkalines from all the fatwallet deals. zero interest in NiMH, but I used to.

Back in stock.. FYI

I'd recommend this charger also

hakujin said:   that 'while' will be satiated by the gazillion alkalines from all the fatwallet deals. zero interest in NiMH, but I used to.I guess if you don't care about cheapo alkalines leaking and destroying your electronics... Alkalines have a limited shelf life so stocking up on cheap ones is self-defeating. The ones you've stockpiled will lose their charge or leak by the time you get to using them, even just sitting in the box unused. Rechargeables are much more robust containing the electrolyte. I've never had one leak, ever. The only times I've heard of rechargeables leaking is when they're overcharged with dumb chargers. Hence the reason for a good charger like this LaCrosse.

peas said:   hakujin said:   that 'while' will be satiated by the gazillion alkalines from all the fatwallet deals. zero interest in NiMH, but I used to.I guess if you don't care about cheapo alkalines leaking and destroying your electronics... Alkalines have a limited shelf life so stocking up on cheap ones is self-defeating. The ones you've stockpiled will lose their charge or leak by the time you get to using them, even just sitting in the box unused. Rechargeables are much more robust containing the electrolyte. I've never had one leak, ever. The only times I've heard of rechargeables leaking is when they're overcharged with dumb chargers. Hence the reason for a good charger like this LaCrosse.

Years ago, I remember getting a great deal on a bulk pack of brand-name 9V alkalines. By the time I got to the end of the pack, they were pretty weak.

I have a La Crosse BC-9009 battery charger which I bought almost 3 years ago, and I love it. With this price, this is a no-brainer.

cuauhtemoc said:   I have a La Crosse BC-9009 battery charger which I bought almost 3 years ago, and I love it. With this price, this is a no-brainer.Except "this price" is now $38.95.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014