• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Tag over prepaid T-Mobile Optimus L9 at Target
Disclaimer
Saw this sign at my local target. So, the cost for buying an LG Optimus L9 ($200) + $50 airtime card will be $210 (+tax). Use target RedCard to save an extra $10 or get an extra year of warranty provided by other credit cards.

The Optimus L9 on T-Mobile is probably the best prepaid phone deal available, and this offer is almost as good as when T-Mobile gave the $50 airtime card for free. The phone itself would have been considered top of the line a year ago (4.5" IPS 960x540 screen, dual-core CPU, 1GB RAM, 5MP camera, Android 4.0), and has a MicroSD slot and a user-replaceable battery (unlike the Nexus 4, for example). Two of my kids have it on a prepaid plan without a data plan (10 cents/min or SMS). Costs about the same as an iPod Touch 4 (and much less than an iPod Touch 5) and also provides them with a phone for emergencies/friends. It only comes with 4GB flash memory (of which OS and T-Mobile apps gobble up about half), but one can add more via a cheap microSD card.

Offer valid until 3/30. The offer is also valid on some other prepaid phones, but this is the best one.

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile discounts that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

T-Mobile Prepaid Optimus L9
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
used this phone but don't like it. just got Galaxy S3 on craigslist for $250 tonight

LvBrknHrt (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 1:10a) |

My store didn't know either, but when you check out it takes the 20% off. Just give it a try, it should be fine; if not... (more)

Rambler (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 6:41a) |

From what I have been reading it's only ill-eagle if it's a subsidized phone. Prepaid are not subsidized.

MisterEd (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 9:24a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I bought this deal as my Galaxy Note II just had sudden death syndrome (randomly died, and getting warranty support in US for UK phone is a PAIN).
I used Redcard and Pharmacy program to get another 10% off discount, so even after tax my total was a little over $200 for the phone and $50 card.

It's a decent phone, space is definitely a big problem (just a bit over a gig left) and there's so much tmobile bloatware on the phone that if I keep the phone I'll definitely flash it.
Note it takes 64gb MicroSD but they have to be reformatted in the phone since those are by default FAT-64 and this phone only reads FAT-32. Once I reformatted it it read my 64gb of movies no problem.

The other phone this deal is available on is a Concord (low end Android phone) which is $99, so you get that phone for $80 + $50 gift card, so $130+tax. This deal is $160+$50 = $210+tax.

Can this phone be used with WalMart's $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan?

docjoo said:   Can this phone be used with WalMart's $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan?

is there a T-Mobile phone that CAN'T be used on its own prepaid network?

To answer the question, yes it can. You can activate it right on the $30 plan with the enclosed microsim despite buying it at target.

dvsdimsum said:   docjoo said:   Can this phone be used with WalMart's $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan?

I am asking because I have never used T-Mobile prepaid plan before .....wasn't sure if this phone required $50 minimum plan.

docjoo said:   dvsdimsum said:   docjoo said:   Can this phone be used with WalMart's $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan?

I am asking because I have never used T-Mobile prepaid plan before .....wasn't sure if this phone required $50 minimum plan.

any UNLOCKED (or locked to the specific carrier network)phone that takes a SIM card (and works on either TMobiles or AT&Ts network) will work with any plan on either network - and if you want to use a smart phone on a non smartphone plan, I heard there's a way to do so as long as you activate your SIM on a non smart phone then put it in your smartphone - but of course...YMMV

I own one of this phone. This is a very good phone for the money. You do not need to have the $50 plan. You can use this with Straight Talk $45 monthly plan and you have a very good 4G speed.

Fair to bad reviews on battery life ;(

Another T-Mobile network provider is platinum tel.

http://www.platinumtel.com/plans

They have a 5-cent call/2-cent text plan, and their SIM cards work in T-Mobile phones (I bought a micro-SIM for them on eBay for $3). They used to run on Sprint's network, but shifted to T-Mobile. It's a better option for pay-as-you-go plans than T-Mobile's 10-cent plan.

You have to root it if you want to put apps into SD card. And if it comes with 10G version ROM then you are stuck as there is no current way to root it for 10G. If it comes with 10E version ROM you must not let it OTA upgrade to 10G before you have rooted it and saved root first. Go to XDA forums for more info. This phone is not a Dev phone at all and it comes with tons of bloatware thanks to TMobile. Battery life is not bad. Screen is pretty good quality. Only ICS and no JB.

rj51 said:   Another T-Mobile network provider is platinum tel.

They have a 5-cent call/2-cent text plan, and their SIM cards work in T-Mobile phones (I bought a micro-SIM for them on eBay for $3). They used to run on Sprint's network, but shifted to T-Mobile. It's a better option for pay-as-you-go plans than T-Mobile's 10-cent plan.

International Rates
NEW!

Call over 40 countries for one penny a minute, including: Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Peru, Russia (Metro Moscow), Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and Venezuela

Love the international part!

thanks, i missed the tmobile.com deal couple of weeks ago, picked 1 up from target!

It would appear that the phone is available from T-Mobile.com for $199.99 *with* the $50 refill card, "right now"...

draurora said:   It would appear that the phone is available from T-Mobile.com for $199.99 *with* the $50 refill card, "right now"...

cool.. didn't have the $50 when I checked this morning.

Can this phone be unlocked to work with AT&T ? What UMTS bands does it support ( 1,2,4,5 ? ) For sure it supports band 4: 1700

HyperX said:   rj51 said:   Another T-Mobile network provider is platinum tel.

International Rates
NEW!

Call over 40 countries for one penny a minute, including: Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Peru, Russia (Metro Moscow), Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, and Venezuela

Love the international part!

Real Pay go: you pay for International per minute rate plus regular airtime rate at all times.

Unlimited plans: you only pay for the International airtime used. Money is deducted directly from your airtime balance.

Still not bad.

Which one are we talking about ? http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4955&idPhone2=5025

T-Mobile USA version is P769 with a smaller 4.5" screen.

How do you get 10% off discount at target? I know redcard can save 5% only.

OP it does not have IPS screen. TFT instead.

any idea whether the target one can be white version? tmobile site only have black one.

I couldn't find this phone either from Target local or online ... any idea?

It's more like 9%, it's 5% off with redcard, and then you get another 5% off that with Pharmacy Rewards which you get after every 5 prescriptions filled.
I've only seen the black one at Target.

The phone CAN be unlocked for a few dollars from most of the large unlock providers.

cs2010 said:   Fair to bad reviews on battery life ;(

I had one of these. Battery life is on the better end for sure on this L9. I could go almost two days whereas my normal usage on other smartphones means I need to always recharge every night or I'll end up with a dead phone the next morning.

pitflyer said:   
The phone CAN be unlocked for a few dollars from most of the large unlock providers.

Aren't non T-Mobile authorized unlock illegal now? I also heard that this phone comes unlocked already. Can anyone confirm?

It is not unlocked when you get it. At least not the T-Mobile version. Of course, it's illegal. Now waiting on the White House to respond to the 100,000+ signatures it has now received. We can presume that they will continue to kowtow to the MAFIAA.

The phone is locked by T-Mobile.

Would still recommend the Nexus 4 over this phone, even at $89 more. Even without a microSD slot on the N4.

Google will always update the N4 for the next ~18 months. LG's update history can be summed up as plug-and-pray.

If you don't care about updates though (and that's usually because you don't know what you're missing, as the updates haven't been issued yet), then it's not a bad deal.

Plus the N4 will have much better resale value, with pentaband HSPA+ it can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile at 4G/fauxG speeds.

scoot said:   It is not unlocked when you get it. At least not the T-Mobile version. Of course, it's illegal. Now waiting on the White House to respond to the 100,000+ signatures it has now received. We can presume that they will continue to kowtow to the MAFIAA.

T-Mobile will issue unlock codes if you have the phone on active service for >90 days. But without pentaband HSPA, an unlocked T-Mobile phone is pretty useless today.

Pick up two and returned the the refill cards (was surprised they take back but they said they can tell if they were redeemed and receipt said refund value 41.99) 2 mins after purchase for $41.99 each net $168 + tax if you don't need the refill

motsuka said:   Pick up two and returned the the refill cards (was surprised they take back but they said they can tell if they were redeemed and receipt said refund value 41.99) 2 mins after purchase for $41.99 each net $168 + tax if you don't need the refill

Now that's a much better deal. Come to think of it, CA requires that you be allowed to buy bundled items separately, but at SRP. May be worth a try at $168 to see if they'll take a return of just the card.

asuka said:   motsuka said:   Pick up two and returned the the refill cards (was surprised they take back but they said they can tell if they were redeemed and receipt said refund value 41.99) 2 mins after purchase for $41.99 each net $168 + tax if you don't need the refill

Now that's a much better deal. Come to think of it, CA requires that you be allowed to buy bundled items separately, but at SRP. May be worth a try at $168 to see if they'll take a return of just the card.
i'm in ca so that could be it, no hassles at the return at all.

lemonhead said:   any UNLOCKED (or locked to the specific carrier network)phone that takes a SIM card (and works on either TMobiles or AT&Ts network) will work with any plan on either network - and if you want to use a smart phone on a non smartphone plan, I heard there's a way to do so as long as you activate your SIM on a non smart phone then put it in your smartphone - but of course...YMMV
With the exception of Tracfone, but they are just weird like that.

motsuka said:   asuka said:   motsuka said:   Pick up two and returned the the refill cards (was surprised they take back but they said they can tell if they were redeemed and receipt said refund value 41.99) 2 mins after purchase for $41.99 each net $168 + tax if you don't need the refill

i'm in ca so that could be it, no hassles at the return at all.

Nice deal. I use T-M0bile's Pay As You Go plan, not their monthly plan, so I have no use for the $50 card. I'm hoping I'll be able to return it like you did if I take part in this deal.

Just checked, the L9 is actually slated to get Jelly Bean. But, there's no guarantee T-Mobile will certify the update... so you may have to root your device when it eventually is released to install it.

$169 for a T-Mobile Jelly Bean phone is something I'd now classify as a hot deal. Even in Wi-Fi, it's probably the cheapest Google Now + GPS + microSD solution out there.

How do reformatt a sd card in the lg9? thanks

Is the refill card bundled with a specific phone number or I can use it to refill any Tmobile prepaid account?

Should be a generic prepaid refill card not tied to any plan. Definitely not tied to a specific phone number.

My old prepaid phone card is not a Micro Sim. Is any way I have use it on my new LG Optimus L9 which is only Micro Sim card slot only?

Many Thanks!

Skipping 19 Messages...
scoot said:   It is not unlocked when you get it. At least not the T-Mobile version. Of course, it's illegal. Now waiting on the White House to respond to the 100,000+ signatures it has now received. We can presume that they will continue to kowtow to the MAFIAA.From what I have been reading it's only ill-eagle if it's a subsidized phone. Prepaid are not subsidized.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014