• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Cisco Linksys DPC3008 Refurbished Advanced DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for Comcast ISP Only.

http://store.linksys.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=149471030

Use coupon code HSDISH5 for 5% off.

Member Summary

Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This this kind of money, why not pay $20 more and get yourself a surfboard with much better reviews?

My cousin had this same model he bought new. He is very happy with it. So I'm replacing my SB5100 and save some money from buying new.

netdude said:   This this kind of money, why not pay $20 more and get yourself a surfboard with much better reviews?

My ISP gave me this Cisco modem. Will it make any difference if I upgrade to a Surfboard? The speed I'm getting now is near the advertised speed.

According to my cousin, he is getting 28 down and 5 up. I'm getting 14 down and 2 up with my SB5100 and we pay the same price for our internet.

I bought this modem about 4 months ago. Has worked great...WAY better than the SB5101 I had (which is only DOCSIS 2.0). I have zero regrets. And as a bonus, even though I ordered the refurb I think Linksys sent me a brand new unit. It arrived in full retail packaging with zero indication it was a refurb. I would have thought it would arrive in just a plain brown box (much like their routers). I'm very pleased with the purchase choice.

Thanks OP!!! Getting ready to rent a place in Comcast territory and they want $7 a month for the modem plus taxes... This will be paid for a no time!

silentz said:   According to my cousin, he is getting 28 down and 5 up. I'm getting 14 down and 2 up with my SB5100 and we pay the same price for our internet.
Make sure you guys have the same package. Did you get call Comcast to check their config?
Max speed for the SB5100 should be 30+ Mbps.

Someone has the DPC3010 for $34 shipped at eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-DPC3010-Cable-Modem-/170868995015?...

Not sure what the major differance is as both are DOCSIS 3.0

Seems the "major" differance is the 3008 is ok for comcast and the 3010 is not. The 3010 works on Cox which is what I have.
So check with your service provider to see what modem they will allow before buying any.

netdude said:   This this kind of money, why not pay $20 more and get yourself a surfboard with much better reviews?

What is it about the Surfboard that makes it worth an extra $20?

silentz said:   According to my cousin, he is getting 28 down and 5 up. I'm getting 14 down and 2 up with my SB5100 and we pay the same price for our internet.

You need to check the package speeds you are paying for, not how much you are paying. Your SB5100 is capable of the speeds your cousin is getting, it is your ISP and/or your signal quality that is limiting you. If you are not getting your advertised speed, take it up with your ISP and make them come and check the signal quality, changing modems is not going to double your speed.

SB5100 is Docsis 2.0 and the Cisco modem in the OP is Docsis 3.0 so don't think you guys are comparing apples to apples. There's no point paying $20 extra for the 5100 if you need Docsis 3.0 for your service; for that you need an SB6120.

mrodrig2 said:    ...for that you need an SB6120.

I would suggest looking into the Motorola Surfboard SB6141, the new model which has been selling for less than the SB6121. The SB6141 can bond eight downstream channels and four upstream channels (84) topping out at over 300Mbps down and 100Mbps up, whereas the SB6121 only supports four-channel bonding (44) both ways reaching speeds of up to 160Mbps down.

I bought the SB6121 to upgrade my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem about a year ago and increased my download speeds from 1.2MB to 1.8MB or 50% gain in DL speed.

Might have to look into this... Thanks.

How would the cable provider know if you are using an unapproved modem? All of the modems approved by TWC are Motorola and are more expensive to get DOCSIS 3.0 than some competitors.

thanks OP...just what I needed to cut costs on my cable/internet bill. Now, to convince comcast to lower my monthly charges

as a point of reference ... I was able to get a new MOT SB6141 out of an eBay seller in Hawthorne CA for around $60 --- good second chance offer if you don't win

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.