• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
ChalPhut said:   icecube said:   
On 27 March 2009, RedMere teamed up with Monster, another manufacturer of audio/video cables to create ultra-thin HDMI cable that would transfer data at up to 10.2 Gb/s."

And Monster adds the illusion of credibility.
Run, run away!

Thanks OP!

got the 10ft first, mid this week and now this 15ft, code works, thank you.

thanks. missed the 10ft posting, so I grabbed both today while staring at a 10ft i just got from Monoprice. i guess that teaches me to buy a cable when i need it.

--> 6. Not combinable with any other offer.
Watch out if you try to use the coupon code BTEXVWM22, they may denied the rebate...

ChalPhut said:   icecube said:   What does Redmere technology do?
From Wikipedia, "RedMere is an Irish company founded in 2004, and one of the biggest companies in the cable assembly industry
RM1689 IC — a semiconductor device which boosts the performance of HDMI cable. This was demonstrated in the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
VerifEye— a cable test platform.
On 27 March 2009, RedMere teamed up with Monster, another manufacturer of audio/video cables to create ultra-thin HDMI cable that would transfer data at up to 10.2 Gb/s."

Their cables have a built-in chip which enables them to make the cable thinner and lighter

Bleh. Fricken useless wikipedia PR articles.

When you transmit electrical signals over a cable, they lose strength the further they go (the longer the cable is). The usual solution is to use thicker wires, since they lose less signal strength per foot traveled. That's why the longer HDMI cables are thicker (HDMI is 19 wires).

What RedMere does is take power from the receiving device (the TV or monitor), transmits it back to the source end of the cable (computer, blu-ray player, cable box), and uses that extra power to boost the signal strength before it's transmitted over the cable. So whereas the HDMI spec may only call for devices to transmit HDMI signals at n Volts, by using this trick a RedMere cable transmits it at 2n Volts. So either the signal can travel further for the same thickness cable, or it can travel the same distance using a thinner cable.

That's why the cable is directional - the boost only works one way. I've bought 15' and 50' versions, and they both work beautifully. The 15' version (different brand) is actually almost too thin - about the diameter of an earphone cable though it's stiffer. I always worry I'm going to crimp it and ruin the cable.

BigWhy said:   --> 6. Not combinable with any other offer.
Watch out if you try to use the coupon code BTEXVWM22, they may denied the rebate...

I just bought something else I've been needing from Newegg which cost more than the $8 discount from the code. There's nothing on the receipt which says the $8 discount is for the cables, it's just a "promo code" applied to the entire order. Apparently it's California law to do it this way so they get to collect tax on the pre-discount amount (I've seen the same thing with Staples discounts). But it also means if they try to deny the rebate I can claim the discount was for the other item I bought.

Would either or both of the cables being offered FAR by Newegg be useful for an iPad?

Coupon didn't work for me, but I bought both cables and the 15-pack of Memorex BD-R's ($5.99 AR), all in the same order.

dadsweep said:   Would either or both of the cables being offered FAR by Newegg be useful for an iPad?

if you have a 30-pin to hdmi adapter, or lightning to hdmi adapter you could use it.

Thanks OP...in for one of each.

yoregano said:   I get 'Egg emails, but the code did not work for me (said my email was ineligible). I ordered both cables on the same invoice--I see no reason for a problem. Used Shoprunner for shipping--doesn't everyone have a free membership at this point?

It's next to impossible not to. They keep updating my free trial without my ever asking.

That being said, better than a kick in the butt.

Thanks so much. I'm technologically still in the Dark Ages...

Dang. 10 footer OOS.

got the 15' but 10' came up oos. Coupon code gave me $4.40 off.

Yeah I never heard of this before but thats what it sounded like, very similar to the usb repeaters which use some of the power to strengthen the signal.

Solandri said:   ChalPhut said:   icecube said:   What does Redmere technology do?
From Wikipedia, "RedMere is an Irish company founded in 2004, and one of the biggest companies in the cable assembly industry
RM1689 IC — a semiconductor device which boosts the performance of HDMI cable. This was demonstrated in the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
VerifEye— a cable test platform.

Their cables have a built-in chip which enables them to make the cable thinner and lighter

Bleh. Fricken useless wikipedia PR articles.

When you transmit electrical signals over a cable, they lose strength the further they go (the longer the cable is). The usual solution is to use thicker wires, since they lose less signal strength per foot traveled. That's why the longer HDMI cables are thicker (HDMI is 19 wires).

What RedMere does is take power from the receiving device (the TV or monitor), transmits it back to the source end of the cable (computer, blu-ray player, cable box), and uses that extra power to boost the signal strength before it's transmitted over the cable. So whereas the HDMI spec may only call for devices to transmit HDMI signals at n Volts, by using this trick a RedMere cable transmits it at 2n Volts. So either the signal can travel further for the same thickness cable, or it can travel the same distance using a thinner cable.

That's why the cable is directional - the boost only works one way. I've bought 15' and 50' versions, and they both work beautifully. The 15' version (different brand) is actually almost too thin - about the diameter of an earphone cable though it's stiffer. I always worry I'm going to crimp it and ruin the cable.

BigWhy said:   --> 6. Not combinable with any other offer.

I just bought something else I've been needing from Newegg which cost more than the $8 discount from the code. There's nothing on the receipt which says the $8 discount is for the cables, it's just a "promo code" applied to the entire order. Apparently it's California law to do it this way so they get to collect tax on the pre-discount amount (I've seen the same thing with Staples discounts). But it also means if they try to deny the rebate I can claim the discount was for the other item I bought.

Yeah I never heard of this before but thats what it sounded like, very similar to the usb repeaters which use some of the power to strengthen the signal. Think I got a usb 2.0 15 footer that uses that and a 15 ft one with no repeater thats only good for printers as its usb 1.1 since no repeater.

In for the 15' cable with free shipping via Shoprunner. Out of stock for the 10' cable. Coupon did not work for me but, as said before, YMMV. Still a great deal. Thanks!

Bargain item with $1.99 shipping
Thanks,

So is this rebate paid by Newegg or by this other Irish company?

EvilWizardGlick said:   icecube said:   What does Redmere technology do?

The same thing using the term Organic does, removes extra money from the pockets of the gullible.

Not a good analogy. Organic is clean food but Redmere isn't a clean signal.

Redmere is all hype to sell thinner cheaper cables using less copper. The chip can't truly fix a degraded signal. Thick copper is better.

Thanks

PrincipalMember said:   So is this rebate paid by Newegg or by this other Irish company?

The graphic on the rebate showed a Newegg branded Visa card.

OOS, darn it!

Thanks OP. Bought both yesterday. I'm slow to reply to your post.

po90260 said:   EvilWizardGlick said:   icecube said:   What does Redmere technology do?

The same thing using the term Organic does, removes extra money from the pockets of the gullible.

Not a good analogy. Organic is clean food but Redmere isn't a clean signal.

Redmere is all hype to sell thinner cheaper cables using less copper. The chip can't truly fix a degraded signal. Thick copper is better.

Thicker copper won't fix a degraded signal any better than Redmere. Redmere is not to fix a signal, it's to get the same signal over the same distance with a thinner cable... Thick copper is not better when you want something that can bend easily and not pull light equipment from the desk.

This is back in stock, purchase valid till 03/01/2013. I am not sure if the mods can "unexpire" this thread.

this item is...still in stock. (really! ^_^0

(still 1.99 shipping and the rebate ends on 3/1)

The deal - "FAR" is a good one. What makes me laugh is every time the term 'High Performance' is used in conjunction with HDMI cables. Oh sure - the BB sales folks will push the 'Good, Better, BEST' thing...but - especially with HDMI...it either works...or it doesn't. PERIOD.

Like I said - free is always a good deal...just don't get suckered in otherwise.

VIDEO explanation link

Why Do You Need Smart Active HDMI Cables?

Users are able to enjoy/share/mirror their media (content) quickly, easily and comfortably to a large flat panel TV using a long, thin, flexible cable. Compared with passive cables, active cables allow for easy roll-up portability with your device.
The CHIP provides the following:

Thinness – enables the thinnest cable in the market – no one wants a bulky & heavy cable.
Longer Lengths – enables the ultra thin design to reach 16' in length – consumers want the luxury of sitting comfortably on the couch and controlling their device.
Portability – extremely flexible/pliable to spool up and take on the go – anywhere your Smartphone or Tablets goes, your cable goes too.
High Speed – enables 10.2Gbps and Certification at the highest HDMI standard at longer lengths.

Is the rebate still on for the 10 footer? I can't find it anywhere.

Prngr44 asked:
Is the rebate still on for the 10 footer? I can't find it anywhere.
Newegg Rebates

No - Rebate Number for 10' is 46408, ended 2/24.

Did anyone notice "Limit one Rebate Card per Address"? Would they deny one of the rebates stating that limit one card only?

DesiVibe said:   Did anyone notice "Limit one Rebate Card per Address"? Would they deny one of the rebates stating that limit one card only?
No.

icecube said:   What does Redmere technology do?

They are making thinner cables that can handle future bandwidth that uses 2 channels to mess with your mind.

The cables are HDMI 1.4 with marked 'source' and 'display' on the connectors. They have a chip inside the source connector to take in less power freeing up more copper for data. I think that's why they call it Unidirectional because they are too cheap to put the chip on both ends.

You won't need these until they build a whole industry behind it. It's free!!!! Go for it!!

Darn Now OOS.
Was showing instock, had to leave desk for a minute, then it was removed from cart when i went to check out.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014