• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Earthwise New Generation 20-inch Electric Lawn Mower @ Overstock - $203.74
compare at $245.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary
Staff Summary

Electric is good for people who move a lot like the military because you cant usually ship a gasoline mower.

They're also great for people who don't like to have to keep cans of gasoline, worry about oil changes, know how to keep small engines in tune, don't like the loudness of small gasoline engines.

I've used electric mowers. They can be terrific.

Its not cordless. I used a corded black & decker back in the 70s. Lucky we had long runs,not too much slope. Its like a leash, from closest to farthest.

Ended up getting a "refurbed" honda for half price with the new warranty.

Nice find but doesn't FW staff do any further research?

Better deal - Same mower at Rakuten at the same price but with 5% cashback

Best deal - Same mower at Amazon and the lowest price $184.12

I had one in the army, corded like this one. Sold it when we bought a home. No more free electricity. Corded sucked too BTW.

gringott said:   I had one in the army, corded like this one. Sold it when we bought a home. No more free electricity. Corded sucked too BTW.

Cords do suck on one level, but it can make a mower much lighter and easier to maneuver.

If you have outlets and cords that reach, seems like corded is the way to go. I would imagine you get more power than battery powered and better reliability. Have only used a cordless mower, so i can't really say which is better. Though I've had many headaches with cordless, power output being the main one. Sometimes someone would use it and not re-charge it. So if you wanted to get out and mow before the rain, you were SOL.

yep... powerful... too powerful... so powerful the motor burned within 2 years of use. Don't remember what model it was. Now using gas, I've never had any problem in all the gas powered mowers.

WorkerAnt said:   yep... powerful... too powerful... so powerful the motor burned within 2 years of use. Don't remember what model it was. Now using gas, I've never had any problem in all the gas powered mowers.

I like gas, except for the noise and pollution. I personally have a Toro right now with a 6hp B&S, which I got as a "gift" back in 2002 so I could mow lawns and use that money to pay off the lawn mower. Over a decade and 400+ mows, it will still start on the first pull. It also has "one-touch" drive assist, which makes mowing pleasant.

I haven't been in the market for a while so I can't compare a new Toro to the one I'm using, thus it would be hard to make a decision on whether to go gas or electric based on noise and pollution alone. The corded is about half the price of a decent gas mower, but if it might possibly have controller issues that burn out the motor in a few years, I'm not really sure it's worth the hassle.

Anyone here own a corded or newer gas mower and able to comment on noise?

Most electric mowers I know of don't have any kind of speed control (generally pwm). It's just on or off. I can't speak to reliability since that varies largely by model/operating conditions for just about anything, but my neighbor just bought a brand new Honda mower and my electric creates about half of the noise the gas version does.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014