• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Edit #3: Sold out again!

Edit #2: Back in stock @ $59.99 + $1.99 shipping.

Edit #1: Sold out!

Newegg has the MFC-J425W (essentially the same printer as the J430W and J435W) for $57.99 with free shipping and no tax for most.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113671

Great line of MFC printers from Brother and can use cheap, 3rd party ink.

(See J430W thread for ideas on ink).

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1256995/

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Brother MFC-J425W
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
sold out again

jimmyzshack (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 4:08p) |

FYI I successfully scanned a stack of double sided pages with both the Brother paperport sw and omnipage. They both have... (more)

SpacelySprockets (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 9:02p) |

went to Bestbuy and pricematch w Newegg today. I showed the Newegg's price to the manager and he agreed even the model #... (more)

david82823 (Feb. 25, 2013 @ 9:34p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A lot of negative reviews.

You can get Brother HL-2280W laser printer for $99. Why bother with inkjet anymore?

speedy777 said:   You can get Brother HL-2280W laser printer for $99. Why bother with inkjet anymore?
Because some people may want to print in color or have an auto document feeder for their scanner?

uthorns1976 said:   A lot of negative reviews.
Average 4 stars like most groups of reviews I've seen for this type of Brother printer. Of course there are negative reviews in there but not sure I'd characterize it as "lots" relatively speaking. Or should I say there are like 3-4x more positive,

PhilGil said:   speedy777 said:   You can get Brother HL-2280W laser printer for $99. Why bother with inkjet anymore?
Because some people may want to print in color or have an auto document feeder for their scanner?

And to get that in laser is probably more like $400 or more.

Plus, you can download a free app that allows you to scan and print from your iPhone! Sure, emailing files to yourself is fun, but doing it directly is funner!

I've got the 430 and the 435, both for $50 apiece, the 435 prints noticeably faster than the 430, there must be some other capability of these over the 425, considering the 430 and 435 have recently (the last week) been priced at $60...

Oh Brother!

Duplex print, but not scan, for the 435.

Damn! I already have a brother printer but at this price, it's almost impossible to resist the deal.

thebigo said:   I've got the 430 and the 435, both for $50 apiece, the 435 prints noticeably faster than the 430, there must be some other capability of these over the 425, considering the 430 and 435 have recently (the last week) been priced at $60...
Per Brothers web site the print speed of the 425, 430 and 435 should be the same. Either the Brother specs on those printers are wrong or perhaps the settings of the printers are different? Like I recently read on an ink vendor web site to select "inkjet paper" rather than plain paper. That "the printer will print a little slower but the print head will last longer". I have yet to test what, if any, difference this setting makes but plan to. Not sure just wondering since per Brother the print speed should be the same.

which model has duplex ADF (scan)??

AnAceBuyer said:   Duplex print, but not scan, for the 435.

tomasSC said:   which model has duplex ADF (scan)??

Appears to be a pretty top-of-the-line feature for Brother. For the inkjet AIO line, only the top model MFC-J6910dw has it, estimated price $299. For AIO laser, has to be DCP-8155DN or above, estimated price $399+. Might find a software workaround for it though such as recent versions of Adobe Acrobat which support scanning double sided on single sided scanning hardware.

I just looked at the specifications for the 425, 430 and 435 and there see nothing about duplex printing on any of them. It's either the 6xx or 8xx series that includes duplex, not the 4xx series.

Edit: From the looks of it, the duplex printers have a "D" in the name (MFC-J825DW for example).

Out of Stock

This is misinformation. You have to step up $30 to get duplex print. I just bought one from B and H

Engineer said:   AnAceBuyer said:   Duplex print, but not scan, for the 435.

I just looked at the specifications for the 425, 430 and 435 and there see nothing about duplex printing on any of them. It's either the 6xx or 8xx series that includes duplex, not the 4xx series.

Edit: From the looks of it, the duplex printers have a "D" in the name (MFC-J825DW for example).

jumblies said:   AnAceBuyer said:   Duplex print, but not scan, for the 435.

This is misinformation. You have to step up $30 to get duplex print. I just bought one from B and H

I missed that before. Right, the MFC-J435W doesn't have duplex print. If it doesn't have the D like MFC-J835DW then no duplex print. Doesn't seem to be a specific designator for duplex scan, you just have to look it up. You can go to http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ and pick a category and compare features of up to 4 models.

For cheap ink, this is a great product. I have had a 35 for the past 2 years using the extended ciss inkjet cartridges off of eBay. I have refilled it many times and it is great. My kids are known to print 25-30 full color pics and this is the ticket..

Back in stock at $59.99 with $1.99 shipping (which is still cheaper without tax for most)

back in stock.

20 page auto feeder for the scanner is a nice feature as long as your originals are 1 sided.

jimmyzshack said:   back in stock.

LOL...dumb_ _ _ me edited the title to reflect new price/shipping but didn't remove the SOLD OUT front end!

GMY said:   20 page auto feeder for the scanner is a nice feature as long as your originals are 1 sided.
Or if you use the "scan other side" option in the brother scanning software or similar features in Adobe Acrobat and/or Microsoft Word etc to scan both sides on a single sided scanner through software trickery.

Better than Canon deal!

Bought this from Best Buy for around ~$60 last year and haven't had any issues with the printer.

I've owned Brother printers in the past, and this one does not do the "auto-head-cleaning" that caused my previous two brother's print-head to crap out after the print-head reservoir was full.

This means you have to manually clean if you have not used the printer in a while, but if it extends the life of the print-head then it is worth it.

sold out again

tomasSC said:   which model has duplex ADF (scan)??
FYI I successfully scanned a stack of double sided pages with both the Brother paperport sw and omnipage. They both have settings which allow scanning one side of the stack via the adf then the other and will correlate the pages for you after. Not perfect granted but better than a page at a time. Microsoft Word document scanning should also be able to do it but this appears to be broken on my computer and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. Found a KB article which suggested the workaround of using some other product! Good job Micro$oft, hah. So that's what I did, use other software. Acrobat apparently does this as well but I don't own a recent version of that.

went to Bestbuy and pricematch w Newegg today. I showed the Newegg's price to the manager and he agreed even the model # is 435W i/o 425W. i paid 59.99 plus tax good luck!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.