Foscam wireless camera (fi8910w) - $69.99

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Foscam wireless camera is on sale for $69.99 over at Groupon. This is a bit better than the valentine deal that was posted a bit back.

Groupon Link

--------------

Foscam FI8910W Wireless Camera

Homeowners rest easy as the camera safely and discreetly monitors slumbering babies, security doors, or cookies left out for Santa. Audio and video are archived in full color and high resolution, with night vision illuminating areas up to 8 meters away during the night. The device connects wirelessly to the Internet, allowing owners to record and play back footage with standard web browsers on their home computer or smartphone. A motion detector and a range of tilting and panning helps the camera capture noteworthy events.

Features
•High-quality remote audio and video recording
•300-degree pan, 120-degree tilt
•Infrared lights for night vision up to 8 meters
•Motion detection helps prevent endless, boring footage of sleeping ghosts
•Built-in network video-recording system
•Compatible with iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry
•Wireless-N connectivity
•Viewable over the Internet using standard browsers
•Embedded IR-cut filter provides enhanced picture and color quality
•Automatically adjusts lighting exposure via mechanical filter
•Two-way audio
•Durable external housing
•Optional 9dBi antenna allows for increased range
•9dBi antenna rated three times higher than standard Foscam antenna
•Weight: 1.4 pounds
•Dimensions: 1.5”x4.5”x4.5”
•Two-year replacement warranty from Foscam

Groupon
See Groupon promo codes that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Foscam wireless camera
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

DrSachmo (Mar. 07, 2013 @ 7:29a) |

Foscam security is a joke! Even without logging in. I can access a lot of pages, including the Device Status page!

kickerstarter (Mar. 10, 2013 @ 12:20a) |

Thanks, camera came yesterday, setup wasn't too bad but glad that I read this.

DrSachmo (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 10:29p) |

This youtube video shows using the iphone app to control and view Foscam FI 8910W
app http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rB4y5DUsZE
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Been thinking about buying one of these for a while. I bought a Trendnet last year for twice the price but it has worked out great. These have generally great reviews but the bad ones are really bad.

I had a Dropcam and thought I would try to supplement it with this camera...The Dropcam is basically plug and play but the setup video scared me off the Foscam so I sent it back.
setup video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlF_IysSKHE

I have 3 foscams. Setup was a little tricky but not that bad. Follow the youtube instructions and you should be able to get through it.

I have 4 Foscam....for over 3 years....they are GREAT. The video is crystal CLEAR.

great Iphone apps for Foscam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfw61gCbA4g

I have 3, and all have crapy video. You can't make out the face of a person
unless he comes and stands at one sweet spot. it cannot even make out the
number plate of the car pulling into your driveway.
if you can attach some snaps to prove your statement.

KyTom said:   I have 4 Foscam....for over 3 years....they are GREAT. The video is crystal CLEAR.

Maybe you can attach some videos to prove yours? How far away are the people and cars from your cameras? Do you have actual 8910's or just commenting based on experiences with clones? I wonder if you might have some unrealistic expectations from watching too many CSI episodes with super detailed, infinitely zoomable video that lets you read the time off the perp's watch from 3 floors up across the street. This is 640x480, not 30 megapixel, so there are limitations, but it's certainly quite decent compared to other PT / wifi / IR / 2 way audio units out there. My experiences with this and the 9820 have been very positive given the relatively low costs. If you want Vegas skycam cheater catcher quality, be prepare to spend much much more.

Here are a few Youtube clips shot with this camera that give a good representation of the video quality. One guy even made the effort to obscure the plate to his car, so one would presume it was readable, even at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184oUJkc428
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zbgM3CLI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAvZJTD6E5Q

itsme13 said:   I have 3, and all have crapy video. You can't make out the face of a person
unless he comes and stands at one sweet spot. it cannot even make out the
number plate of the car pulling into your driveway.

Awesome camera, I have 5 of these in two of my locations. Setup sometimes sucks but they work great otherwise.

Foscam security leaves much to be desired. If you bought a new Foscam, be sure to clear its factory ddns setting otherwise it will phone home and the entire world can now start hacking your webcam via myfoscam.org

http://foscam.us/forum/security-concern-with-myfoscam-org-t3728-...

I purchased one through the previous Groupon deal. Around a month of use and the IR cut out filter has not been sliding into place from time to time. Flipping the lights in the room on and off you can hear it attempt to move the filter but it must be hung up. Eventually it is able to slide free. That is my one disappointment with the camera. I need to contact them about it. The video isn't great, but I guess that's what you get for a sub-$100 camera. Still nice for having general surveillance of an area.

There are compression settings for both still images and video. If you don't have them set to best quality, they won't be the best quality. (surprise!)

With that said, these cameras have better resolution than all the TV you ever watched before HDTV. They have better resolution than DVDs. What you need is light, and after that you need to spend more money for higher resolution or a $400 zoom lens with an operator to get closer.

HRMHRMHRMHRM said:   There are compression settings for both still images and video. If you don't have them set to best quality, they won't be the best quality. (surprise!)

WHERE in the settings you set this up? I don't see it anywhere..

I bought this at the last Groupon special. It's not a bad IP camera for under $100.

There are lots of fake Foscams out there, so I often assume that some of the bad reviews are from people that think they've got the real deal when they actually don't.

I have 12 foscam cameras setup in various places and I have to say they are the best bang for the bucks considering I paid $100 for them 2 years ago. I also have a $400 Linksys WVC2300 and a $300 panasonic BL-VT164WP pictures were better but for the price difference, the Foscam wins hands down.

On the other hand, no matter how you look at it, the resolution is only 640x480 you can't expect to have a great image when zoom in. Your solution is the 720p cameras.

good deal....bought two yesterday from Amazon at $86.72 each...
Bought 2 more today.

In for one

Wansview are very close to these...and cheaper in price, just another option.

fattywallace said:   Wansview are very close to these...and cheaper in price, just another option.

Thanks never heard of them, being familiar with IP cams and networking makes this a great buy.

kickerstarter said:   Foscam security leaves much to be desired. If you bought a new Foscam, be sure to clear its factory ddns setting otherwise it will phone home and the entire world can now start hacking your webcam via myfoscam.org

There is a new firmware that give you the option of enabling or disabling their ddns service. Hopefully this means that the camera will no longer try to communicate with that pre-set ddns service. The setting was already set to disabled after I flashed the new firmware.

Does anyone happen to know if the white version still suffers from the green blinking light from the light on the wifi board inside the unit? I got the black one from Amazon last time because I did not want that annoying green light but the black version does not look so great on the ceiling, white would look much better. I also read that the white one supposedly uses a different wifi board than the black version, I have no idea why they would be different.

DrSachmo said:   fattywallace said:   Wansview are very close to these...and cheaper in price, just another option.

Thanks never heard of them, being familiar with IP cams and networking makes this a great buy.

NCB541 is the model I've used for the past year or so and still working outdoors and indoors, no problems.

fattywallace said:   DrSachmo said:   fattywallace said:   Wansview are very close to these...and cheaper in price, just another option.

NCB541 is the model I've used for the past year or so and still working outdoors and indoors, no problems.

I'm looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Wireless-Surveillance-Microphone-...

Looks to be just a newer one

Same camera. Only deterrent is that only works with wireless G and it does not with N.

Also no built-in speaker for 2 way audio.

KuoH

fattywallace said:   Same camera. Only deterrent is that only works with wireless G and it does not with N.

KuoH said:   Also no built-in speaker for 2 way audio.

KuoH

fattywallace said:   Same camera. Only deterrent is that only works with wireless G and it does not with N.

True, but it has the connections to adapt speakers to it, also has mic already built.

Pretty good. I only have one, but the picture is not clear. Get the coupons right now.

Thanks I want N

compared with what's out there, setup for these is pretty straight forward. Great price on these.

ordered 2 with 9db antenna hope as good as everyone says

lanwarrior said:   HRMHRMHRMHRM said:   There are compression settings for both still images and video. If you don't have them set to best quality, they won't be the best quality. (surprise!)

WHERE in the settings you set this up? I don't see it anywhere..

You are correct. I incorrectly assumed you were recording photos, or video. Live feed (camera only) there are no settings.

Settings are in the capture software and almost always the default is set to compressed medium so as to increase framerate.

I'm using Activewebcam free version. settings are in recording tab.

The speaker volume on this is extremely low. I turn my mic all the way up and the audio is barely audible on the cam. Any idea how to turn up the speaker volume?

Raistlin1 said:   There is a new firmware that give you the option of enabling or disabling their ddns service. Hopefully this means that the camera will no longer try to communicate with that pre-set ddns service. The setting was already set to disabled after I flashed the new firmware.

Can you tell which version the new firmware is?
I am on ver 11.37.2.48 (Web UI ver 2.4.10.2) and it does not have the myfoscam DDNS disabled by default. I had to use a cgi method to disable.

I have two and I am about to send them back, they work fine individually but when you have two or more, you cannot change the Preset ID (they always come back to the same ID 1) and nothing would work, no email notifications, no video...
Some reports about this problem on the net:
Here

cubexco said:   Raistlin1 said:   There is a new firmware that give you the option of enabling or disabling their ddns service. Hopefully this means that the camera will no longer try to communicate with that pre-set ddns service. The setting was already set to disabled after I flashed the new firmware.

Can you tell which version the new firmware is?
I am on ver 11.37.2.48 (Web UI ver 2.4.10.2) and it does not have the myfoscam DDNS disabled by default. I had to use a cgi method to disable.

New firmware is 11.37.2.49 and WebUI is 2.4.10.3.

http://www.foscam.com/down3.aspx

How is this camera powered (i.e. batteries or plug-in outlet)?

What's the range from the camera with the better antanna to the router?

flylo said:   What's the range from the camera with the better antanna to the router?

not much

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-Wireless-Antenna-Expander-Camera/pr...

Skipping 18 Messages...
kickerstarter said:   Foscam security leaves much to be desired. If you bought a new Foscam, be sure to clear its factory ddns setting otherwise it will phone home and the entire world can now start hacking your webcam via myfoscam.org

Thanks, camera came yesterday, setup wasn't too bad but glad that I read this.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014