• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive @ MacMall - $279.99
compare at $339.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
Thanks sparky34
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Adorama had this for $10 more with back order, so this is allot better deal.

it is a TLC based drive. The NAND life is theoretical 1/3 of a MLC SSD drive. Also, it is new technology. I stay away!

fatxman said:   it is a TLC based drive. The NAND life is theoretical 1/3 of a MLC SSD drive. Also, it is new technology. I stay away!

Would you recommend the 250GB Samsung for $149... technology wise?
http://www.macmall.com/p/Samsung-Portable/Removable-Drives/produ...

nitrags said:   fatxman said:   it is a TLC based drive. The NAND life is theoretical 1/3 of a MLC SSD drive. Also, it is new technology. I stay away!

Would you recommend the 250GB Samsung for $149... technology wise?
http://www.macmall.com/p/Samsung-Portable/Removable-Drives/produ...

That 250gb has the same type of NAND as the 500 gb so no different.

There isn't really anything to be afraid of with TLC NAND. Unless you are writing to the disk non stop, you can expect many years of use with standard desktop user type usage patterns.

My office desktop that stays up 100% of the time has had 2.9TB written to it over the last 9 months. Assuming Samsung's rating of 100TB for the 500gb 840 series, TLC, that would be about 310 months of use, or about 26 years of use before it would die.

Both Amazon and B&H have this drive for $279.99 + free shipping in stock. Price is dropping...
Amazon.com
B&H

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014