• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Panasonic 50'' Smart Viera 3D Plasma HDTV @ Sears - $799.88
compare at $1099.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Panasonic 50'' Smart Viera 3D Plasma HDTV
Thanks sparky34
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks for this deal post! I bought this tv last week with a price match (physical store competitor) for $945 thinking I... (more)

JimT23 (Feb. 26, 2013 @ 7:18a) |

Some may decide it is a better deal through Amazon.

See the following thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/12... (more)

plainview (Feb. 26, 2013 @ 7:56a) |

Dead as a doornail.

ProppaT (Feb. 28, 2013 @ 10:45a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Paul's TV has it for $999 (as point of comparison) but still a great deal. None near me unfortunately and not sure it is worth the three+ hour drive roundtrip + tax to get one.

secstate said:   Paul's TV has it for $999 (as point of comparison) but still a great deal. None near me unfortunately and not sure it is worth the three+ hour drive roundtrip + tax to get one.
3 hrs to get to Paul's TV? cuz the OP says Free Shipping from Sears

my4mainecoons said:   secstate said:   Paul's TV has it for $999 (as point of comparison) but still a great deal. None near me unfortunately and not sure it is worth the three+ hour drive roundtrip + tax to get one.3 hrs to get to Paul's TV? cuz the OP says Free Shipping from SearsAnd $200 cheaper at Sears.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   my4mainecoons said:   secstate said:   Paul's TV has it for $999 (as point of comparison) but still a great deal. None near me unfortunately and not sure it is worth the three+ hour drive roundtrip + tax to get one.3 hrs to get to Paul's TV? cuz the OP says Free Shipping from SearsAnd $200 cheaper at Sears.

Sorry to have been less than clear. No Sears has it near me and it is not available for delivery (free or otherwise) in my area from Sears (their shipping seems regional as if I change to my parents zip 120 miles away they can get free shipping but not me here sadly). Would have to drive to another city 90 miles away to pick it up from Sears. Was just using Paul's as a comparison because they have sold this for $999 pretty much all the time so take the $1099 comparison with something of a grain of salt. It is a great deal if you can get it near you/shipped for free.

$.88 means it is a closeout, so if you are interested I would get it now. This is a great price on a great TV; includes a glare filter so high-light rooms shouldn't be a problem. If you don't need the anti-glare filter the UT50 is on sale at Costco, the 55" through today for $699.99

clb4g9 said:   $.88 means it is a closeout, so if you are interested I would get it now. This is a great price on a great TV; includes a glare filter so high-light rooms shouldn't be a problem. If you don't need the anti-glare filter the UT50 is on sale at Costco, the 55" through today for $699.99
there have been a lot of deals on these lately. Costco around BF and again now, Amazon and now Sears. Why?

my4mainecoons said:   
there have been a lot of deals on these lately. Costco around BF and again now, Amazon and now Sears. Why?

As for BF there are usually deals. As for now new models are coming out so retailers are unloading stock I'd imagine.

my4mainecoons said:   clb4g9 said:   $.88 means it is a closeout, so if you are interested I would get it now. This is a great price on a great TV; includes a glare filter so high-light rooms shouldn't be a problem. If you don't need the anti-glare filter the UT50 is on sale at Costco, the 55" through today for $699.99

The new models are getting ready to come out....these are the 2012 models. From what I have seen, not a big difference in features in the 2013 models either. If you are looking for a 50" TV, this is one of the very best out there. At this price, picture-quality wise, you're not getting a better picture without spending about double the money elsewhere. If you have a light-controlled room you might be able to get by with the UT50 (which is what I just bought from Costco, albeit the 55" version), but at most you'll save $100. I would go for this if 50" was what I was looking for, and I'd do it in a heartbeat. Comparably priced LCD/LEDs won't come close to this.

Is the picture quality on this better than the one from Costco? Though the one from Costco is a bit larger and it is 100 cheaper. Any suggestions?

lovecd said:   Is the picture quality on this better than the one from Costco? Though the one from Costco is a bit larger and it is 100 cheaper. Any suggestions?

The difference is mostly that the Costco model does not have the anti-reflective treatment so if you are going to use in a bright room or a room with lights on the horizontal plane parallel to the screen you will get reflections. In a light controlled room they will be largely the same. The other differences are an extra HDMI input on this as well as the fact that certain settings for calibrating are available to the end user (on the Costco model you either have to go into the service mode or they are not available).

Thank you!

secstate said:   lovecd said:   Is the picture quality on this better than the one from Costco? Though the one from Costco is a bit larger and it is 100 cheaper. Any suggestions?

The difference is mostly that the Costco model does not have the anti-reflective treatment so if you are going to use in a bright room or a room with lights on the horizontal plane parallel to the screen you will get reflections. In a light controlled room they will be largely the same. The other differences are an extra HDMI input on this as well as the fact that certain settings for calibrating are available to the end user (on the Costco model you either have to go into the service mode or they are not available).

This model is ST50, one of the best panels in 2012 and voted as value for money.

I bought this tv about a month ago and it's amazing, totally changed my perception about plasma. I'd recommend it 100%

Thanks everyone for the reviews and comparison to Costco's deal. Figuring I don't have a Costco membership (+$50) and there's Fat Cash ($40) it comes to a difference of $10. For those who are Costco members and have the Costco AMEX which I guess gives you a 2 yr added warranty then there's a reason to buy from them but I'm thinking this sounds pretty good.

Just an FYI and not that it makes much difference but Costco was going to charge me a $40 surcharge to buy the TV as a non-member. To me, it comes down to your room and what size you are looking for. A 55" is 21% larger than a 50", which is significant, but with the 50" is the great anti-glare filter. Just depends on what your priorities are I suppose; for me size was a bigger factor than the anti-glare filter, so that's why I went that route.

Costco Plasma

my4mainecoons said:   Thanks everyone for the reviews and comparison to Costco's deal. Figuring I don't have a Costco membership (+$50) and there's Fat Cash ($40) it comes to a difference of $10. For those who are Costco members and have the Costco AMEX which I guess gives you a 2 yr added warranty then there's a reason to buy from them but I'm thinking this sounds pretty good.

I am already a member of Costco and I'd buy this one over the Costco model solely because where I'd use it is not light controlled (but not bright either). I have a light controlled theater but have a 114" screen in there (front projection not a panel). But sadly Sears was sold out locally and thus won't deliver either. I am hoping Amazon might have a blowout sale at some point to clear out stock, I tried to price match them to this but got shot down twice though others did manage it.

I recently purchased this tv....... All I can say is, WOW! Great buy, I'd really recommend

Same price now here after shipping (I know nothing about them):

ABT Electronics

Thanks FatWallet Deal Hunter for the original posting (and for my forthcoming 5% Cash Back). I ordered one of these TVs this morning and just picked it up.

This is our first HDTV. I've been waiting a long time to pull the trigger and this deal did it for me.

I'm a little nervous about getting a plasma, but the reviews for the ST50 are really outstanding. Now to figure out how to squeeze it in to the TV cabinet that held my 27" cathode ray tube

FYI, the sale isn't over. They did not really raise the price today. (799)

Thanks for this deal post! I bought this tv last week with a price match (physical store competitor) for $945 thinking I was getting a reasonable deal. I was shocked to see it as the "Deal of the Day" just a few days later so I called the store where I made the purchase and they said the price was online only and there was nothing they could do for me (15% restocking fee to return and rebuy at the lower online price with in-store pickup). Yesterday I checked the price again and it was also lowered in the store to $799.88 and I was able to get a refund for the difference!

I'm still blown away by how many brick & mortar stores will not price match their own online sites. With all of the fine print it is a gamble to actually be able to utilize price-matching/price-protection "guarantees." I guess that is just part of the shopping experience today. Thankfully things worked out for me this time but next time it might not.

Some may decide it is a better deal through Amazon.

See the following thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1259170/

Dead as a doornail.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014