• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
These drives are in the Staples flyer this week for $89.99 and $189.99. Staples is running their 20% off bag sale this week and these items ARE INCLUDED! The manager at my Staples didn't believe it, then scanned the coupon and said, "Yup, they are".

Staples flyer is on their site, drives listed on page 5. Bag coupon is on page 1.

No YMMV - I have the 240gb sitting right here.

Edit - this isn't just the drives. This is the full desktop/notebook ssd upgrade kit. It includes the drive, a usb enclosure, brackets and screws for 3.5" mounting, SATA power and data cable, hard drive cloning software, installation video, and a 7mm - 9.5mm adapter.

Staples
See Staples discounts that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Kingston SSD (54.81kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
$69.99 w/free shipping now.

delzy (Mar. 03, 2013 @ 5:01p) |

In for one- got it yesterday - green for you OP! Went from an 80GB ssd to 240GB!!

Tpsspace (Mar. 03, 2013 @ 8:17p) |

huh, I ordered one online last week, and Staples sent me an email this morning saying they're out of stock and discontin... (more)

robotprom (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 9:19a) |

Benchmarked to other 120GB drives.

Sustained Random 4k Read/Write

120GB: 20,000/44,000 IOPS
240GB: 36,000/43,000 IOPS

Max Random 4k Read/Write

120GB: 85,000/55,000 IOPS
240GB: 85,000/43,000 IOPS

Datasheet
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Wow, was looking at the samsung 840 pro for $135, but this is a really good price...

going to pick 1 up tomorrow !! Was going to get the 128gb version but with this price I think the 256 will be a better option. Thanks for letting us know what is included since the website isn't clear. I wanted something that came with the cloning software. Not really in the mood to do a clean install and figure out how to make everything work again lol

Which is a better deal? This one or the Intel 160g Intel X25-M at Tiger for $89 AR?

The Kingston V+ series is suppose to be faster because it supports SATA III while the 160gb Intel X25-M is SATA II. Unless you do some really heavy stuff like video/photo editing or something then maybe you see the difference. Benchmark will see a big difference between the Intel and the Kingston. I have a 160gb SATA II and a Corsair Performance SATA III. For my use, I game and web browsing and I don't see any noticeable difference.

This one is rather slow, 100mb/s write, 260mb/s read.

If you donít mind waiting for rebate Intel is cheaper, 0.56/gb , compared to Kingston which comes out to be .67/GB after tax. However, 160gb drive is more like a glorified 120gb! If you are planning to upgrade your laptop that has a single drive, then I would go with 250gb. Prices are coming down and I suppose you might be able to score a corsair or Crucial drive around .60/gb AR if you are not in a rush.

alhluu said:   The Kingston V+ series is suppose to be faster because it supports SATA III while the 160gb Intel X25-M is SATA II. Unless you do some really heavy stuff like video/photo editing or something then maybe you see the difference. Benchmark will see a big difference between the Intel and the Kingston. I have a 160gb SATA II and a Corsair Performance SATA III. For my use, I game and web browsing and I don't see any noticeable difference.

Surprisingly the much faster SATA III spec makes very little difference in actual performance speed for most SSD uses. Tom's Hardware did a comparison test between SATA II and III that's worth looking at before making a decision:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-7.html

alhluu said:   The Kingston V+ series is suppose to be faster because it supports SATA III while the 160gb Intel X25-M is SATA II. Unless you do some really heavy stuff like video/photo editing or something then maybe you see the difference. Benchmark will see a big difference between the Intel and the Kingston. I have a 160gb SATA II and a Corsair Performance SATA III. For my use, I game and web browsing and I don't see any noticeable difference.

Surprisingly the much faster SATA III spec makes very little difference in actual performance speed for most SSD uses. Tom's Hardware did a comparison test between SATA II and III that's worth looking at before making a decision:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-...

Slow...

Thank you EradicateSpam. I picked up the last two at my local Staples.

If your local store is out, you can order the 128GB V200 version online for just $79.99/shipped.

emmagata said:   Which is a better deal? This one or the Intel 160g Intel X25-M at Tiger for $89 AR?

anything is better if you don't have to deal with tiger

Was able to combine with a $25 off $75 Staples online only coupon. $58.29 after tax with free delivery.

This drive should give my laptop a couple more years of useful life.

Thanks, OP!

henry33 said:   This one is rather slow, 100mb/s write, 260mb/s read.

I usually look to brands like Kingston to breathe some life into older machines, not performance. And, for the most part, they've served me very well in that regard.

Those speeds are a dramatic increase if you have been using a mechanical drive. The price is great, thanks OP!

I have used Kingston USB flash drive.

NOTE: if you plan on cloning your windows 8 drive with the software from this kit it wont work!

It comes with Home Image 2010 which doesn't support windows 8. I used home image 2013 boot cd and was able to clone to the 240gb drive

rbstern said:   Was able to combine with a $25 off $75 Staples online only coupon. $58.29 after tax with free delivery.

Thanks, OP!
Ditto, got it for $57.74 with a $25/75. I like that a kit is included at this price.

By comparison, I saw that a 4GB USB flash drive in summer of 2007 was selling for $60 on Newegg. amazing.

bamadad said:   rbstern said:   Was able to combine with a $25 off $75 Staples online only coupon. $58.29 after tax with free delivery.

Thanks, OP!
Ditto, got it for $57.74 with a $25/75. I like that a kit is included at this price.

By comparison, I saw that a 4GB USB flash drive in summer of 2007 was selling for $60 on Newegg. amazing.

$89 - $25 = $62 how are you guys getting it for around $55? Thanks.

osuuma said:   bamadad said:   rbstern said:   Was able to combine with a $25 off $75 Staples online only coupon. $58.29 after tax with free delivery.

Thanks, OP!

$89 - $25 = $62 how are you guys getting it for around $55? Thanks.

THE OP mentioned the 20% off whatever fits in the ECO bag... I would imagine thats where the extra few bucks are coming off.

emmagata said:   Which is a better deal? This one or the Intel 160g Intel X25-M at Tiger for $89 AR?

The X25-M is crap by today's SSD speed standard. It is 3 years old. Don't get it. The V300 is a budget SSD, but it performs well for a budget SSD.

rbstern said:   Was able to combine with a $25 off $75 Staples online only coupon. $58.29 after tax with free delivery.

On-line price is $79.99. Less the $25 off $75 makes it $54.99 + tax. Wish I had a 25 off 75 coupon, I'd be all over this!

Wilkcards said:   Wow, was looking at the samsung 840 pro for $135, but this is a really good price...

Samsung Pro is a much better drive. This drive is worse than Samsung 840 (non-pro).

Online is V200
In store is V300

How did you combine online coupon with in store coupon?

Thanks, OP!

phony said:   How did you combine online coupon with in store coupon?

Thanks, OP!

I am not 100% positive, but I don't believe two coupons where combined here - looks like it was v200 for 79.99 -25cpn = 54.99 + tax = 58.29

henry33 said:   This one is rather slow, 100mb/s write, 260mb/s read.

You aren't looking at the right drives, these are up to 450 MB/s.

V300, not V200.

BOTH are online. http://www.staples.com/Kingston-SSDNow-V300-120GB-25-SATA-III-6-...

http://www.staples.com/KINGSTON-240GB-V300-SSD-SATA/product_1040...

Picked one up for $71.xx today and we'll see how it does (first SSD, and on-line benchmarks for the V300 look stellar)

Thanks, OP! Close to $50 off regular Staples price.

smartone said:   If you donít mind waiting for rebate Intel is cheaper, 0.56/gb , compared to Kingston which comes out to be .67/GB after tax. However, 160gb drive is more like a glorified 120gb! If you are planning to upgrade your laptop that has a single drive, then I would go with 250gb. Prices are coming down and I suppose you might be able to score a corsair or Crucial drive around .60/gb AR if you are not in a rush.

After tax? At what tax rate (see they are all different)?

$189.99 - 20% = $151.99 / 240gb = $.63 per GB.
$89.99 - 20% = $71.99 / 120gb = $.60GB.

Both are BEFORE tax, figure out your own taxes.

Thanks, OP!

So what did you do, go in and use the Kiosk and your $25 off online only coupon and order it online? And they gave you the 20% bag discount?

user0001 said:   Online is V200
In store is V300

Both V300 drives are also online, but you don't get the 20% bag discount.

My local store in Denver (Glendale) sold me the last 120GB from the Westminster store. There is also one in the Boulder location at this moment. Thanks OP.

YMMV !!
I saw I could put a hold on the 256 at my closest store and did so Sunday. Just got back (20 mile trip and $10 in gas) with no luck on the 20% off option. I got to the register and the girl looked at the fine print but it said nothing about "hard drives" being exempt but wanted to be sure (oh great) well the manager said it is classified as "office machinery" thus was not subject to the 20% off coupon.

Well I walked since I know there are several deals on 256 units for the $150 range right now but they are other brands.

Oh well, tried, if you happen to get a cashier that doesn't question it you might get away with it. I didn't

Good luck

skyjockey said:   YMMV !!
I saw I could put a hold on the 256 at my closest store and did so Sunday. Just got back (20 mile trip and $10 in gas) with no luck on the 20% off option. I got to the register and the girl looked at the fine print but it said nothing about "hard drives" being exempt but wanted to be sure (oh great) well the manager said it is classified as "office machinery" thus was not subject to the 20% off coupon.

Well I walked since I know there are several deals on 256 units for the $150 range right now but they are other brands.

Oh well, tried, if you happen to get a cashier that doesn't question it you might get away with it. I didn't

Good luck

What the Manager says is not relevant, it's what the computer tells them when they scan it in. Had you done that, you would have found that it works just fine, as I did yesterday. The manager said it wouldn't work, but it did.

This bag coupon seems to be missing a "technology" exclusion that has been there prior.

EradicateSpam said:   
What the Manager says is not relevant, it's what the computer tells them when they scan it in. Had you done that, you would have found that it works just fine, as I did yesterday. The manager said it wouldn't work, but it did.

Not true. Staples store managers ALWAYS have final say what coupons they will accept in their store. That being said, most Staples managers will accept legitimate Staples coupons if the POS register in their store accepts it. However there is no Staples comporate requirement for them to just because the Stapelss POS register does accepet the coupon. Staples corporate use to frequently override store managers on coupons and CS issues when customers called to complain but recently Staples corp has done a 180 on this CS poilcy and 9/10 they will now supprt the Staples store manager. Unless the store manager is breaking a corporate rule or local advertising law don't ecpect musch helfp from corporate especially when it comes to coupon acceptance. Your best best is just to go to another Staples store and purchase there

This bag coupon seems to be missing a "technology" exclusion that has been there prior.

The only technology exclusion missing this time with the 20% bag offer is the LED/LCD monitors exclusion that Staples added about a year ago to most coupons. These 20% bag coupons have ALWAYS worked on computer components like hard drives and SSDs.

Maybe had I made a bigger stink?? Ended up getting the Samsung thru Adorama eBay for $140 so screw Staples, they threw away a sale and to make it worse potential future sales. I know I wont make any difference to them but I feel better.
Samsung 256GB $140
With a truck that gets 12MPG in the winter and the next closest store with one in stock 20 miles away not worth it. Plus I was in NH so no sales tax but back in MA there is the 6.25% tax

I'm sure others will have better luck just wanted to let you guys know it may not work??
YMMV still

EradicateSpam said:   smartone said:   If you donít mind waiting for rebate Intel is cheaper, 0.56/gb , compared to Kingston which comes out to be .67/GB after tax. However, 160gb drive is more like a glorified 120gb! If you are planning to upgrade your laptop that has a single drive, then I would go with 250gb. Prices are coming down and I suppose you might be able to score a corsair or Crucial drive around .60/gb AR if you are not in a rush.

He was comparing the drive on this thread to an Intel 160g at Tiger.

emmagata said:   EradicateSpam said:   smartone said:   If you donít mind waiting for rebate Intel is cheaper, 0.56/gb , compared to Kingston which comes out to be .67/GB after tax. However, 160gb drive is more like a glorified 120gb! If you are planning to upgrade your laptop that has a single drive, then I would go with 250gb. Prices are coming down and I suppose you might be able to score a corsair or Crucial drive around .60/gb AR if you are not in a rush.

He was comparing the drive on this thread to an Intel 160g at Tiger.

I know that. But comparing things after tax makes no sense for Fatwallet, since we all have different tax rates. That's why I put the pre-tax prices in here for the two drives at Staples.

fatxman said:   emmagata said:   Which is a better deal? This one or the Intel 160g Intel X25-M at Tiger for $89 AR?

The X25-M is crap by today's SSD speed standard. It is 3 years old. Don't get it. The V300 is a budget SSD, but it performs well for a budget SSD.

The V300 is a SandForce Gen2, which is def. faster, but is NOT more reliable than the trusty X25-M G2 drives. They are rock-solid. And the spec that matters, random I/O, is still decent for those older drives, even if their sequentials are a tad low.

Skipping 27 Messages...
huh, I ordered one online last week, and Staples sent me an email this morning saying they're out of stock and discontinued, and they show as in stock online this morning. what a country!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014