• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was looking for some lightning cables on Amazon and came across the following and this seems to be the lowest price for an Apple certified product.

The price is upto $14.90 now.

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Skiva-Certified-Lightning-iPhone-generatio...

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

lightning cable
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Either I'm lucky or they updated their manufacturing. For their sake, I hope it's because they fixed their side.

salwana (Mar. 28, 2013 @ 2:34a) |

I've got some Monoprice lightning cables en route to me. Cost me ~$13/each after shipping.

g0dMAn (May. 06, 2013 @ 10:07a) |

Let us know about the quality of the Monoprice cables

elwood2 (May. 06, 2013 @ 11:55a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

sweet

In for 1 - I have a good amount of credit on Amazon and have been waiting for a decent priced cable. Hopefully it works and really is Apple Certified.

Tempted but I jumped on 4 of the ones from a couple of days ago that were $3.65 or so shipped...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LGC32Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s...

Deal was here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1258647/

Just wanted to point out that the Amazon reviewer that says Skiva is a subsidiary of Belkin may or may not be accurate. I checked out the Skiva official website. All it says is that the company is privately owned and has an R&D center in India. No mention of Belkin.

Source: http://skivatech.com/index.php/company/introduction

Not quite sure if I'm in for one (not for myself), yet.

Now all I need is an inexpensive Lightning to 30-pin Adapter. There are lots of knock-offs out there with poor reviews.

I emailed Skiva and they confirmed that they went thru the Apple certification (MFI) process. Apple actually get money from these guys for every cable sold!!!

Tempted but I jumped on 4 of the ones from a couple of days ago that were $3.65 or so shipped... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LGC32Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s... Deal was here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1258647/

For $7.50 more I feel more confident using an Apple MFI certified cable for my $400 Apple device!!!

Use code SKIVAOFF at checkout to get addition $2 OFF .

send2shishir said:   Use code SKIVAOFF at checkout to get addition $2 OFF .

$7.99 shipped for an approved cable? I'm in for one.

good price, in for one

APPLE CERTIFIED,,thats hilarious

Ty op

froglog2 said:   APPLE CERTIFIED,,thats hilarious

Why is it hilarious?

In for two for $16. Good deal if they really are perfect connectors (the biggest complaint about 3d party lightning cables is snug/loose connectors, aside from not working properly) and high build quality. I also bought one of the real cheap ones from the deal a couple days ago. We'll see how they all work out. Thanks OP!

RickShaw said:   froglog2 said:   APPLE CERTIFIED,,thats hilarious

Why is it hilarious?

Because some people hate everything Apple does.

Aside from the picture and title (both things Skiva sets) and Skiva saying "yes we're Apple certified" how do we actually know these are Apple certified? So far all the sources are the seller.

That's all you're ever likely to get. Why would Apple come out and advertise that any product other than their own is compatible? The MFI (Made for iPod/Phone/Pad) program is the only legal way that Skiva would be able to use those logos. Which means Apple is making enough on licensing to allow them to make/sell the cables. If you look at the Amazon basics cable, it has the same logos.

If either of these weren't actually certified by Apple, the legal department at Apple would get them pulled from Amazon in a heartbeat.

edit: I browsed through the Belkin lightning accessories and none of them use the MFI logos or say anything about certification, so it seems like Belkin feels they have enough brand recognition that they can skip paying for the MFI licensing and still sell at a good profit margin.

There is virtually no chance this cable is Apple certified.

As to those who think it must be real because it is on Amazon, you're just kidding yourself.

Great price...
But i don't need, i already have one,, lol..

Do we really need Apple to certify USB cable?
I bought a 10ft "lightning" cable from Dailysteals for $8.

tegeril said:   Aside from the picture and title (both things Skiva sets) and Skiva saying "yes we're Apple certified" how do we actually know these are Apple certified? So far all the sources are the seller.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   There is virtually no chance this cable is Apple certified.

As to those who think it must be real because it is on Amazon, you're just kidding yourself.

I had my doubts too. so besides my email to them I checked out their other products on Amazon and found some more products that are purported to be Apple MFI certified.

One particular product caught my eye because it is sold directly by Amazon (in addition to Skiva)and is also Apple certified. So they can fool you and me but am sure it would be pretty tall order to fool Amazon!! You can check yourself -
http://www.amazon.com/Skiva-D102-Media-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B0040BP...

They also seem to have been around for a couple of years and a good amount of reviews. Again I'd rather buy a product from a legit source for my expensive "idevice" and have a real customer service to go back to instead of some "hole in the wall" place in some far away place! I do buy things like led flashlight etc. from Meritline and others but not this..

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   There is virtually no chance this cable is Apple certified.

Why is there no chance they participate in the MFI program ? Because you say ?

I would like to see some proof, and it's a shame I can't find where apple allows you to verify if company participates in the program.

Apple is however, very vigilant in protecting their trademark, and I doubt they would let this company falsely use the MFI logo for very long.

hasu said:   Do we really need Apple to certify USB cable?
I bought a 10ft "lightning" cable from Dailysteals for $8.

When it has an authentication chip which controls how it charges, etc, yes ... we do.

jcantanixon said:   That's all you're ever likely to get. Why would Apple come out and advertise that any product other than their own is compatible? The MFI (Made for iPod/Phone/Pad) program is the only legal way that Skiva would be able to use those logos. Which means Apple is making enough on licensing to allow them to make/sell the cables. If you look at the Amazon basics cable, it has the same logos.

If either of these weren't actually certified by Apple, the legal department at Apple would get them pulled from Amazon in a heartbeat.

edit: I browsed through the Belkin lightning accessories and none of them use the MFI logos or say anything about certification, so it seems like Belkin feels they have enough brand recognition that they can skip paying for the MFI licensing and still sell at a good profit margin.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/11/05/belkin-becomes-first-appl...

Belkin becomes first official Apple partner

Just saying..

Apple would eat them up if they don't give a piece of the apple pie to the apple king.

I'm amaze apple have this certify program. I thought they want the whole pie.

I don't hate apple. It's business. I would jump on their stock.

edited because I see that Rick Shaw has been a member a long time. I mistook enthusiasm for shilling.

mungbai said:   This feels like a scam and the OP sounds like a shill. Sorry.

Really? Why? Just cause you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and your wife gave you sh*t for breakfast or what??

RickShaw said:   mungbai said:   This feels like a scam and the OP sounds like a shill. Sorry.

Really? Why? Just cause you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and your wife gave you sh*t for breakfast or what??

Posts like this:

"I emailed Skiva and they confirmed that they went thru the Apple certification (MFI) process. Apple actually get money from these guys for every cable sold!!!"

Nah. The OP was actually posting in the $3 thread when he found this cable and decided to create a new thread for it. The deal really became hot when someone else posted the $2 off coupon.

Elvis is right about Belkin. They talk about being MFI certified on their own product launch pages..they just don't flaunt the logo as much.

mungbai said:   RickShaw said:   mungbai said:   This feels like a scam and the OP sounds like a shill. Sorry.

Posts like this:

"I emailed Skiva and they confirmed that they went thru the Apple certification (MFI) process. Apple actually get money from these guys for every cable sold!!!"

That in any way doesn't justify or validate your assumption about me!! AFAIK Apple sells the chips that goes into the cable and whoever is certified by them pays them for every piece sold... Or is it that you don't think that there is such a thing as MFI certification? A simple Google search should give you more info about it.

Just look at it this way. If you buy the cable from Amazon and it turns out to not to be what is advertised, Amazon will back you 100% in the return.

RickShaw said:   mungbai said:   RickShaw said:   mungbai said:   This feels like a scam and the OP sounds like a shill. Sorry.

Posts like this:

That in any way doesn't justify or validate your assumption about me!! AFAIK Apple sells the chips that goes into the cable and whoever is certified by them pays them for every piece sold... Or is it that you don't think that there is such a thing as MFI certification? A simple Google search should give you more info about it.

Sorry dude, my spidersense just pinged the wrong way. I apologize for the inference. I see that you are an established member of the community.

It might just be me, but I would be hesitant to jump on because it says its Apple certified.

Does anyone know if apple itself provides a website where one can look up model number or manufacturer to see if they really are certified?

This product has only 4 reviews on Amazon, the page claims it is certified, one of the reviewers says Skiva is subsidiary of Belkin. I couldn't find any support for any of this.

So, if you need a lightening cable, and don't care if it is certified or not, go with the $3.xx one in the other FW page.

It is a shame that Apple doesn't have a way to check who is really in their program.

But to RickShaw: fulfilled by Amazon doesn't mean Amazon sells it directly. When Amazon was listing Huppins stuff under their own name and letting Huppins ship them out, that was Amazon selling it directly. Fulfilled by Amazon just means that the company that makes them shipped them to Amazon's warehouse so Amazon can just box them and send them out. It doesn't mean Amazon vouches for the product or sells it directly.

And as to the idea that because it appears on Amazon it must be real:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Power-Adapter-iPod-iPhone/dp/B001OGZY6...

Take a look at that. That is a guaranteed non-Apple adapter. They claim it is a refurbished OEM adapter, but it's clearly not legit because they claim that 'Notes: The green dot on the photo its a sticker and its NOT a light. We will take this sticker off due to custom request for declaration.'

On a legit Apple adapter the green dot is not a sticker or a light, it is molded into the plastic. It cannot be removed for customs. Thus, this adapter is not legit.

Here's another:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Adapter-Connector-MB352LL-MA591G/dp/...

Sold by "Apple Computers". Apple's company name is Apple now, before that it was "Apple Computer". It never was Apple Computers. And yet there it is on Amazon.

Don't kid yourself, there is a lot of counterfeit stuff on Amazon.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   It is a shame that Apple doesn't have a way to check who is really in their program.

But to RickShaw: fulfilled by Amazon doesn't mean Amazon sells it directly. When Amazon was listing Huppins stuff under their own name and letting Huppins ship them out, that was Amazon selling it directly. Fulfilled by Amazon just means that the company that makes them shipped them to Amazon's warehouse so Amazon can just box them and send them out. It doesn't mean Amazon vouches for the product or sells it directly.

It seems that you are muddling the issue somewhat or maybe just mistaken. Because:

1. I never said that "fulfilled by Amazon is the same as Amazon selling it. But if you look at the other ("Certified") product by this company, the AV media cable mentioned above, then you will see that "More Buying Choices" lists Amazon.com as an option. Me thinks this means Amazon also sells this product themselves! Then in this case they must have fooled Amazon also with their MFI certification claim for their AV media cable. Maybe you should call Amazon and verify it.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   
And as to the idea that because it appears on Amazon it must be real:

Agreed. But this is not what I am implying at all for this deal... See 1. above.

mungbai said:   RickShaw said:   mungbai said:   RickShaw said:   mungbai said:   This feels like a scam and the OP sounds like a shill. Sorry.

Posts like this:

Sorry dude, my spidersense just pinged the wrong way. I apologize for the inference. I see that you are an established member of the community.

No issues. I shot from the hip myself . Sorry about that. I have a few (including those belonging to multiple family members!!) "idevices" on the line here. If any of those get busted on my account then I am in for a lot more grief then any I am seeing here

bengazzicoverup said:   makes it sound like "apple certified" are the only cables that will work ...its funny,,its like "organic',,, and "natural...apple is trying to scare you in to paying 8x what another cable maker charges...
authentication chip..that's hilarious...I have government approved" toilet seats for sale at $ 5900.00 and they were tested by da guvment,,want to buy a few..
im glad to see you apple supporters are doing so well, im happy for you..

If you want to buy knockoff products, that's your choice. But when protocols and interfaces are complicated, it's quite possible knockoff products won't work as well. Especially when the protocols are intentionally complicated so as to try to monopolize the market, as Apple has done before.

So there is an argument for buying official cables. If you don't want to spend time dealing with iffy cables or chargers, it might be worth it to you.

Take a look at a comparison of several USB power supplies. Especially be sure to check the counterfeit Apple one.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-...

I have no experience with Skiva never heard of them. But I will tell you I have had issues with the cheap cables. Many of them no longer charge on one side of the lightning connector, and when charging via USB on a computer I often get dropouts and the dreaded "Charging is not supported with this accessory" warning message on the device. So clearly the knock-off chip they are using is not 100%. Again, I have no experience with Skiva this is just an observation of the "cheap" cables as I have many of them.

Skipping 34 Messages...
Let us know about the quality of the Monoprice cables

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015