• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Well I have ordered a couple. Hope there are no such problems with them!! I did try to order one more but the coupon code did not work for me. Anyone have the same problem with the coupon?

What happened? I can't open Amazon. Oh mg.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   It is a shame that Apple doesn't have a way to check who is really in their program.

And as to the idea that because it appears on Amazon it must be real:

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Power-Adapter-iPod-iPhone/dp/B001OGZY6...

Take a look at that. That is a guaranteed non-Apple adapter. They claim it is a refurbished OEM adapter, but it's clearly not legit because they claim that 'Notes: The green dot on the photo its a sticker and its NOT a light. We will take this sticker off due to custom request for declaration.'

On a legit Apple adapter the green dot is not a sticker or a light, it is molded into the plastic. It cannot be removed for customs. Thus, this adapter is not legit.

Here's another:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Adapter-Connector-MB352LL-MA591G/dp/...

Sold by "Apple Computers". Apple's company name is Apple now, before that it was "Apple Computer". It never was Apple Computers. And yet there it is on Amazon.

Don't kid yourself, there is a lot of counterfeit stuff on Amazon.

Great examples, but neither one of those mention Apple certification or use the copyrighted Apple MFI logos. I'm not saying to believe everything on AMZN is legit. That's foolhardy. I'm saying to show me something that uses those logos, sells on a major website, and is not legit. I'm betting that Apple's lawyers would crack down pretty quickly if a company was falsely claiming MFI certification.

jcantanixon said:   Great examples, but neither one of those mention Apple certification or use the copyrighted Apple MFI logos. I'm not saying to believe everything on AMZN is legit. That's foolhardy. I'm saying to show me something that uses those logos, sells on a major website, and is not legit. I'm betting that Apple's lawyers would crack down pretty quickly if a company was falsely claiming MFI certification.

You're quibbling over words? Why? One claims to be sold by "Apple". Another claims the product is made by Apple when it isn't. Companies are willing to lie that much but somehow saying "Apple certified" when something isn't is too low to stoop?

I assure you that Apple's lawyers are at least as interested in companies claiming to be Apple and selling counterfeit product as they are in companies faking MFI membership.

I can see your viewpoint. However, seeing as how I've been on the receiving end of the Apple legal team enforcing a trademark (I spent actual money on legal defense), my assumptions are backed with personal experience. I was a start up making zero money in a completely unrelated field, using a different spelling of the word "QuickTime" and never even mentioned the apple name..and they came after me. Apparently they own all spelling variances in their trademark.

So I have no doubts they would actively pursue someone using the trademarked logos from a highly publicized licensing program. Unless their legal dept completely changed their perspective since 2001.

Edit: btw, quibbling over words is exactly what corporate lawyers do all day long. In any case, I've decided to agree with you. Apple doesn't care who uses their trademarks. They only came after me because they saw me as a threat and if they hadn't put a stop to it, I would be a multimillionaire by now
That version makes my ego happy

Edit2: If the coupon is dead , this deal isn't as hot.

http://bounce.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&mid=1758...

This is an intense analysis of chargers, but very very useful. Thanks for the post! Repped.

deaconx31 said:   http://bounce.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&mid=1758...

This is an intense analysis of chargers, but very very useful. Thanks for the post! Repped.

It is an amazingly detailed analysis! This guy works for Google so his geekiness is not too surprising!!

jcantanixon said:   I can see your viewpoint. However, seeing as how I've been on the receiving end of the Apple legal team enforcing a trademark (I spent actual money on legal defense), my assumptions are backed with personal experience. I was a start up making zero money in a completely unrelated field, using a different spelling of the word "QuickTime" and never even mentioned the apple name..and they came after me. Apparently they own all spelling variances in their trademark.

So I have no doubts they would actively pursue someone using the trademarked logos from a highly publicized licensing program. Unless their legal dept completely changed their perspective since 2001.

Edit: btw, quibbling over words is exactly what corporate lawyers do all day long. In any case, I've decided to agree with you. Apple doesn't care who uses their trademarks. They only came after me because they saw me as a threat and if they hadn't put a stop to it, I would be a multimillionaire by now
That version makes my ego happy

Edit2: If the coupon is dead , this deal isn't as hot.

So how is one to know whether it is legit statement. Esp. when they make claims like:

"Apple's MFI certified and uses original connector from Apple"

BTW, the coupon did work for me a couple of hours later! Not sure what happened!!!

In for 2. Coupon worked for me. Been looking for "$10 or under" Apple MFI lightning cable.

I got somewhat burned on some "cheap" knockoffs.

iPhone5mod is one of the better known Chinese knockoffs. I paid $26.41 shipped when they first came out Apple Lightning cables. Got a discount for the Lightning/microUSB and Lightning/30pin adapters. Now they are going for $19.90 since there are so many more knockoffs. Still OVERPRICED after my experience. After using them for less than 2 months, the Lightning/30pin cable no longer works. I was using it on my docking station. It looks like the traces are poorly aligned. Initially I wanted to use this adapter on my BMW Y-adapter but found out the Y-adapter requires audio/video signal from the cable. NONE of the knockoffs support audio/video functionality which is why you want MFI certification if you care about full compatibility, otherwise basic charging and syncing should work ok.

The Lightning/microUSB is used on my Anker power charger and does charging just fine but I no longer trust the quality on the knockoff. I contacted iPhone5mod, they won't accept returns on defective products after 30 days. Geez, talk about little confidence backing your product.
iPhone5mod

For $10 for full compatibility, there really is no need to consider the crappy incompatible knockoffs.

Got my cables yesterday and I am impressed. My thoughts concur with the latest reviews (FW effect I guess!!) on Amazon. Solid cable that works as good as Apple's!!!! Glad I got something right for a change

Edit:
I went to their FB page as some suggested on SD and found the following in case anyone cares:

---
Giveaway Announcement! As part of our Technology For Life campaign, Skiva will be giving away a $100 Amazon Gift Card to one lucky winner!
---

Ordered one and got it today. Charged my wife's iphone5 with no problems.

Why do all lightning cable deals never come w/ an AC adapter?

Price has gone up! Not sure if the coupon works either. Hope you had ordered one when the deal was on. The reviews are extremely good!!

At $10/pc, it was probably a loss leader. Getting the original chip from Apple must have cost a decent amount. Glad I was able to get it for $8 and free shipping/no tax! Amazon not charging NYC tax? Strange!

RickShaw said:   Price has gone up! Not sure if the coupon works either. Hope you had ordered one when the deal was on. The reviews are extremely good!!

Cable works identically to OEM, Amazon gift card receieved, N1OP.

iphone5mod lightning adapter
Disclaimer
I've attached a picture comparing Skiva, Apple and iPhone5mod lightning connectors.

As you can see the Skiva connector is IDENTICAL to Apple's which seems to confirm they did get the original from Apple. It just has a larger white casing. iPhone5mod pales in comparison. Considering I paid a premium price for one of the first knockoff, I would have expected much cleaner traces and cut. iPhone5mod finally decided to send me a replacement after I said I would post bad reviews. I'll posted pictures of "version 2" when I get them.

lwlee said:   In for 2. Coupon worked for me. Been looking for "$10 or under" Apple MFI lightning cable.

iPhone5mod is one of the better known Chinese knockoffs. I paid $26.41 shipped when they first came out Apple Lightning cables. Got a discount for the Lightning/microUSB and Lightning/30pin adapters. Now they are going for $19.90 since there are so many more knockoffs. Still OVERPRICED after my experience. After using them for less than 2 months, the Lightning/30pin cable no longer works. I was using it on my docking station. It looks like the traces are poorly aligned. Initially I wanted to use this adapter on my BMW Y-adapter but found out the Y-adapter requires audio/video signal from the cable. NONE of the knockoffs support audio/video functionality which is why you want MFI certification if you care about full compatibility, otherwise basic charging and syncing should work ok.

The Lightning/microUSB is used on my Anker power charger and does charging just fine but I no longer trust the quality on the knockoff. I contacted iPhone5mod, they won't accept returns on defective products after 30 days. Geez, talk about little confidence backing your product.
iPhone5mod

For $10 for full compatibility, there really is no need to consider the crappy incompatible knockoffs.

lwlee said:   At $10/pc, it was probably a loss leader. Getting the original chip from Apple must have cost a decent amount. Glad I was able to get it for $8 and free shipping/no tax! Amazon not charging NYC tax? Strange!

RickShaw said:   Price has gone up! Not sure if the coupon works either. Hope you had ordered one when the deal was on. The reviews are extremely good!!

Amazon doesnt charge sales tax on "fulfilled by Amazon" items.

Crap, I just went to Amazon to buy this and saw the price hike.. Was planning on buying two of them at $8/ea, but it's a lukewarm deal at best now.

Did anyone else's cable come with a sticker that said they would email you an Amazon GC if you posted a review and sent them a link to it?

bytem3 said:   Did anyone else's cable come with a sticker that said they would email you an Amazon GC if you posted a review and sent them a link to it?

I ordered 2, no sticker, but I am happy with them!

ordered3 they're all good!

Skiva vs OEM Lightning Cable Ends
Disclaimer
Received both the Boxwave and Skiva Lightning cables today.

Boxwave:

1) Surprisingly looks and feels like the OEM cable.
2) Cable fits while the iPhone has the SwitchEasy Tones case on.
3) The cable feels well made but will see if that degrades in a week or so as what recent AMZN reviewers stated.

Skiva:

1) Looks cheap. Not a big deal, just mentioning it.
2) The Lightning cable may not fit in all cases. It's casing is larger than OEM's. http://imgur.com/3Mj1Mkg (lwlee's picture)

Returning Skiva back to AMZN. Hoping the Boxwave one will still be amazing after a few weeks of use. I'm afraid it'll degrade based on AMZN reviews. But for $3, I'll take that chance.

It looks like the Boxwave head is cleaner than the knockoff I got from iphone5mod. But just based on the poor reviews on Amazon, I would stay away.

Too bad Skiva jacked up their price to $14.99, now it's not a good deal especially when you get the genuine Apple article on eBay for the same price.

salwana said:   Received both the Boxwave and Skiva Lightning cables today.

Boxwave:

3) The cable feels well made but will see if that degrades in a week or so as what recent AMZN reviewers stated.

Skiva:

2) The Lightning cable may not fit in all cases. It's casing is larger than OEM's. http://imgur.com/3Mj1Mkg (lwlee's picture)

Returning Skiva back to AMZN. Hoping the Boxwave one will still be amazing after a few weeks of use. I'm afraid it'll degrade based on AMZN reviews. But for $3, I'll take that chance.

I got the boxwave. USB end wouldnot fit into brick...had to pry it open slightly then itfit in. Phone end was tight but went into phone ok. Charging now...we will see

You must be one of the "lucky" ones to have received a good Boxwave cables. Otherwise there are 70 1 star reviews for BoxWave like the ones below:

"Does Amazon have product testers? It's a shameful product..."

"defective and poor construction"

"The fake cable does not work at all!, December 11, 2012"

salwana said:   Received both the Boxwave and Skiva Lightning cables today.

Boxwave:

Skiva:

V1 on left, V2 on right
Disclaimer
I got iphone5mod's latest Lightning/30pin adapter, version 2. Attached is a photo. Traces on version 2 is MUCH cleaner and the plastic body is both smaller and thinner, more closely replicating Apple original adapter. Right now, it charges fine so only time will tell if it holds up. Cleaner trace should help. Of course, it still doesn't support audio/video functionality. They haven't been able to clone that functionality just yet.

lwlee said:   I've attached a picture comparing Skiva, Apple and iPhone5mod lightning connectors.

As you can see the Skiva connector is IDENTICAL to Apple's which seems to confirm they did get the original from Apple. It just has a larger white casing. iPhone5mod pales in comparison. Considering I paid a premium price for one of the first knockoff, I would have expected much cleaner traces and cut. iPhone5mod finally decided to send me a replacement after I said I would post bad reviews. I'll posted pictures of "version 2" when I get them.

lwlee said:   In for 2. Coupon worked for me. Been looking for "$10 or under" Apple MFI lightning cable.

iPhone5mod

I've purchased 5 cheap lightning eBay cables ($4/each) and so far 4 of them have failed within two weeks. I still have the cheap black 30-pin cables I purchased on eBay when i got my iphone 3g! The only time i've had one fail is when i stepped on them.

Wish I could find some cheap lightning cables that are decent quality! I'd be satisfied with 1 out of two failures!

Late for here.

elwood2 said:   I've purchased 5 cheap lightning eBay cables ($4/each) and so far 4 of them have failed within two weeks. I still have the cheap black 30-pin cables I purchased on eBay when i got my iphone 3g! The only time i've had one fail is when i stepped on them.

Wish I could find some cheap lightning cables that are decent quality! I'd be satisfied with 1 out of two failures!

I have 10 cheap cables (4 from Amazon marketplace, 6 from some chinese company).. Most are used at least once a week by my family and none have died. Fit on the phones and iPad are exactly the same as the OEM cables that came with the phones. $9.99 isn't bad but my last 6 only cost $3.15 each (deal was posted on here about 2 months back). I think most (not all) of the bad advertising is done by Apple to insure they get a piece of the action.

My first 4 were these: link

I'd have to dig up the second type I bought if anyone is interested.

Too bad Skiva jacked up their price to $14.99, now it's not a good deal especially when you get the genuine Apple article on eBay for the same price.

Except you never know the item off Fleabay is genuine. There are so many counterfeits & fakes running out there it isn't even funny.

If you want genuine order it from Apple directly or an Apple Retail Store.

You have to be diligent in checking the listing or emailing the owner.

The guys with the genuine stuff will definitely say OEM or Apple original. I do a "-generic" when I do a search. When in doubt, assume it's generic knockoff.

Another good search is to use the part number, i.e. MD823ZM/A is the part number for the 30pin/lightning adapter. Most of time, sellers who know the part number are selling the genuine article.

cpabster said:   Too bad Skiva jacked up their price to $14.99, now it's not a good deal especially when you get the genuine Apple article on eBay for the same price.

Except you never know the item off Fleabay is genuine. There are so many counterfeits & fakes running out there it isn't even funny.

If you want genuine order it from Apple directly or an Apple Retail Store.

RickShaw said:   You must be one of the "lucky" ones to have received a good Boxwave cables. Otherwise there are 70 1 star reviews for BoxWave like the ones below:

"Does Amazon have product testers? It's a shameful product..."

"defective and poor construction"

"The fake cable does not work at all!, December 11, 2012"
Either I'm lucky or they updated their manufacturing. For their sake, I hope it's because they fixed their side.

I've got some Monoprice lightning cables en route to me. Cost me ~$13/each after shipping.

Let us know about the quality of the Monoprice cables

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014