• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Plasmas use a thin sheet of glass as the screen. It's not designed or meant to be horizontal. The weight of the glass itself can cause it to shatter if placed horizontally. That goes for putting the TV on its stand, too.

toprammin said:   openwheelracing said:   It is recommended to have it standing up. If you must put it flat, I would put some cushion (rolled up sweaters/rags/pillows) on the 4 corners.
Plasmas use glass and the center could crack if you hit a pot hole hard. Especially for a large TV like this 55".

Wouldnt that be what you dont want to do? Ideally, wouldn't the best case "lie-flat" scenario be if the entire rear of the TV was evenly supported and cushioned? Either by removing the TV or by stuffing towels into the box to fill up the empty section between the rear of the TV and the box?

Im not saying that youre wrong, just stating my own logic.

you could be right. When we did it, we simply use them as "shock absorbers" on the 4 corners. The TV is already safely packaged inside the box. Oh another point is to ensure the glass faces up.

I got one of these when it was $749. I went to the store and got a $50 refund. Then yesterday I got a $50 cash card from Costco in the mail. Anybody else get this? Ok to use?

Just an update, since this is still on. I love the TV...we have the TV on the same wall as a sliding glass door in our home, and in the late afternoon my wife does notice a wicked glare. But that's with the window, which is obviously pretty large, wide open and letting obscene amounts of sunlight in. Shut the blinds, and the glare isn't bad at all. At night the TV is a star. Paired with a PS3 and watched Wreck-It Ralph in 3D last night and was awfully impressed. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

Mine will be delivered tomorrow. Would you mind sharing the color calibration settings you applied on your TV? Thanks!
clb4g9 said:   Just an update, since this is still on. I love the TV...we have the TV on the same wall as a sliding glass door in our home, and in the late afternoon my wife does notice a wicked glare. But that's with the window, which is obviously pretty large, wide open and letting obscene amounts of sunlight in. Shut the blinds, and the glare isn't bad at all. At night the TV is a star. Paired with a PS3 and watched Wreck-It Ralph in 3D last night and was awfully impressed. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

openwheelracing said:   LED LCD TVs do "NOT" produce more vibrant and more vivid picture quality (as docjoo claimed". Plasma TVs simply offer better picture quality per dollar. It is universally reviewed this way. From Asia to Europe to America. Most experts love Panasonic plasmas.

Down sides: buzzing, higher energy consumption and light reflection.

This TV is a fantastic deal from Costco. I don't know why they have so much in stock, but this TV sold out so fast at this same price at Bestbuy. Panasonic's 2013 lineup use the same panel and does not seem to offer much over the outgoing models.

Agreed all around. Check out the clip linked below. This clip on youtube is from India and the tester seem to measure up to "average" consumers. The results were as I expected.

Panasonic Plasma - LCD - LED blind comparision

openwheelracing said:   you could be right. When we did it, we simply use them as "shock absorbers" on the 4 corners. The TV is already safely packaged inside the box. Oh another point is to ensure the glass faces up.

I wouldn't lay these down at all. To get mine home from the store I positioned it the back seat of the mini-mini-van standing up with one sliding door open and held in place with bungi cords. Looked stupid, and I was thinking outside the box, but we got home safely.

clb4g9 said:   Mine arrived today and got it hooked up this evening. Using settings posted on the Amazon product page by a reviewer there makes the TV look pretty freaking amazing. This was at night though, so I'm not sure how it will perform in broad daylight. But as for night performance, glare from my overhead lights wasn't bad at all. TV is physically a good looking TV as well. I think most people out there know that, dollar for dollar, this is going to be a great performer, but I was even impressed by how well it looked after 30 seconds of calibration.

Those Amazon settings likely came from this thread on AVS Fourm Most folks are tweeking the service menu settings to get the best picture, but only after after the settling phase.

clb4g9 said:   Just an update, since this is still on. I love the TV...we have the TV on the same wall as a sliding glass door in our home, and in the late afternoon my wife does notice a wicked glare. But that's with the window, which is obviously pretty large, wide open and letting obscene amounts of sunlight in. Shut the blinds, and the glare isn't bad at all. At night the TV is a star. Paired with a PS3 and watched Wreck-It Ralph in 3D last night and was awfully impressed. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

I just picked up a 2 additional pair of samsung glasses, but the latest 5100 model. I have 2 of the 4100's and I like the fit of the 5100 better along with the button is easier to press. Tonight I'll be watching Wreck-It Ralph with the family.

I was using my PS3 for 3D too, but I found it would not do 5.1 sound while playing 3D, so I ended up buying a 3D blu-ray player. I got the Panasonic which pairs up automatically with the TV.

MrTweaker said:   clb4g9 said:   Just an update, since this is still on. I love the TV...we have the TV on the same wall as a sliding glass door in our home, and in the late afternoon my wife does notice a wicked glare. But that's with the window, which is obviously pretty large, wide open and letting obscene amounts of sunlight in. Shut the blinds, and the glare isn't bad at all. At night the TV is a star. Paired with a PS3 and watched Wreck-It Ralph in 3D last night and was awfully impressed. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

I was using my PS3 for 3D too, but I found it would not do 5.1 sound while playing 3D, so I ended up buying a 3D blu-ray player. I got the Panasonic which pairs up automatically with the TV.

The high-resolution audio is a feature that the PS3 didn't support initially when viewing 3d but that should be fixed now; however in my case my TX-SR805 doesn't do 3d so I am kind of out of luck where that is concerned anyway. Loving the TV by the way; picked up the Samsung glasses for $15 apiece with some shop your way rewards points I had from Sears....

Can you share the information of that glass? I also want to buy some. Thanks!
clb4g9 said:   MrTweaker said:   clb4g9 said:   Just an update, since this is still on. I love the TV...we have the TV on the same wall as a sliding glass door in our home, and in the late afternoon my wife does notice a wicked glare. But that's with the window, which is obviously pretty large, wide open and letting obscene amounts of sunlight in. Shut the blinds, and the glare isn't bad at all. At night the TV is a star. Paired with a PS3 and watched Wreck-It Ralph in 3D last night and was awfully impressed. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

The high-resolution audio is a feature that the PS3 didn't support initially when viewing 3d but that should be fixed now; however in my case my TX-SR805 doesn't do 3d so I am kind of out of luck where that is concerned anyway. Loving the TV by the way; picked up the Samsung glasses for $15 apiece with some shop your way rewards points I had from Sears....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014