• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Stopped at local Lowes yesterday and saw the display. I went back today to take advantage of the deal.

Display was a simple cardboard box. Label on the front indicated to "drop off your old blade and exchange for a new one". So I talked to one of the reps, who wasnt entirely sure how the promo worked, but took the exchange anyway. One of the other reps mentioned it was probably supposed to be an exchange of a particular brand, but he wasnt for sure either.

The display was set up toward the front of the store, on the side by the building materials.

Lowe's
See Lowe's discounts that earn Up to 2.25% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Irwin (9.87kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Worked fine for me a both of my local Lowes. At one Lowes the display was near the tool coral and at the other it was b... (more)

mtgilk (Apr. 13, 2013 @ 6:15a) |

I wanted to take advantage of this deal so I brought in my two worst blades, still good just needs sharpening.
Man those... (more)

e1d1 (Apr. 13, 2013 @ 6:34p) |

I went to Lowes (Lincolnwood,IL) to exchange 3 really old and crappy blades. I asked the tool guy and he walked me over ... (more)

dimsumkid (Apr. 14, 2013 @ 1:48p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I just called corporate--they said they'll be taking the displays down.

It appears they ran a promo like this last year according to a thread I found on SD. In that promo you had to turn in a Freud Diablo blade to get the new one. Some stores weren't sticklers about it though.

Also some stores put out the displays before the promo was set to begin and had to pull them until the actual promo date.

raringvt said:   I just called corporate--they said they'll be taking the displays down.You forgot to post your home address so we can thank you personally.

they ran the same deal last year. I think any old blade was fine for trade in.

raringvt said:   I just called corporate--they said they'll be taking the displays down.

I'm mising the logic here...

edit: why would one would call corporate?

raringvt said:   I just called corporate--they said they'll be taking the displays down.

Not true..I just called corporate and asked if someone called earlier about the free saw blade promotion and they said no.

VirginiaDC said:   raringvt said:   I just called corporate--they said they'll be taking the displays down.

Not true..I just called corporate and asked if someone called earlier about the free saw blade promotion and they said no.

Foiled again!

Is it the carbide tipped Irwin Marathon blade like last year? How many teeth?

on the blade:

Irwin Marathon Weldtec

24tooth

Framing / Ripping

I don't see anything to indicate carbide-tipped.

I asked the guy at the pro desk (where the display was located) about it, and he didn't know anything about it. He said the display just came in. The manager he asked didn't know either.

saw this next to pro desk as well last night, really a box that says drop old blade in, take new blade to desk and get it free. however, no details and no coupon or anything else. wasn't anyone around to ask either.

double post

Thanks OP. I brought 4 old rip 7 1/4" blades in to local Lowe's today, and walked out with 4 brand new Irwin blades. I have attached a picture of the blade, and the display.

FYI: The associate at the Pro desk did not have a clue as to what to do, how many he could give, etc. I spent 10 minutes while he called just about every manager in the store. In the end, he just scanned the 4 Irwin blades and called a manager over to override the price to 0.

The offer last year was rather pro forma as I just took the new blade to the cashier and it rang up as $0.00 , no over ride necessary. I did drop the old blade in the box but the cashier didn't even ask about it. The deal was in April then. Anyone on the west coast seen this display yet?

inb4 someone asks what it's for...

From the makers website

IRWIN® has redefined excellence in the world of saw blades with the introduction of MARATHON® with WeldTec™. This revolutionary new saw blade has WELDED carbide teeth for a 30% stronger tooth bond that gives you 50% longer life. UC2™ (sub-micro grain) carbide teeth are 70% more compact than standard carbide teeth and are sharpened to finer, more durable cutting edges that stay sharper longer. The E.O.T.™ grind technology, where every other tooth is ground thinner, makes this the FASTEST FRAMING BLADE EVER™.

Went looking for this as I went shopping at Lowes. No box at Lincolnwood, IL store, then by the Lowes in Northbrook,Il store today and asked. They said the display is in the back of the store and they can't put the box out on the floor until April 1 based on an email they got with instructions. The workers thought it might be the 40 tooth blade or any Irwin 7 1/4" blade but they weren't sure. So maybe the stores that have it out already are doing it early.

Went to one of my local (SE MI) Lowes today. They said the promotion runs from April 1st to April 30th. I might check another local Lowes in a day or two.

No joy in Sugar Land, Tx with this deal. Lowe's store does not have this exchange saw blade program going on right now...but will keep y'all posted if/when they do...

I've done this several times in the last few years. Only thing is these blades really suck. They don't cut well, sometimes the wood smokes up.

drof said:   I've done this several times in the last few years. Only thing is these blades really suck. They don't cut well, sometimes the wood smokes up.

"It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

Thanks OP, I had an old blade with a broken tooth that I was able to trade in.

Woke up early as what I have been reading says this promo should be starting today and found nothing at Bloomfield Township, MI 1801 Telegraph Road store. Anyone having any luck seeing the displays popping up today?

No luck at my local Lowe's.

I've been looking for an excuse to drop in at Lowe's.

Your local store should have the promo active, saw blade must not be an Irwin, they are only swapping competitors blades.

Forgot about this thread. I'll have to take a few more blades in and see if the display is still at the store in Sebring, FL

What is the location of this drop off box in the store? TIA

It was near the exit/register closest to the lumber aisles. At this store, it is also used as the special order desk as well. The display was sitting in front of the special order desk (see pics in my above post). It's not the Service/Return counter that's by what they consider the "main" entrance.

Here's the flyer.

Picked up mine the other day in Langhorne PA. Handed them the old rusty one, they entered something in the register and handed me a brand new blade.

This is a new blade for Irwin. They are using this to get the word out.

I got one the other day and it was located near the commercial help desk...nice shinny blade traded for a rusty old junker for free...only in America.

BUMP

This offer finally started in southern California. It runs April 1 - 30 and you can trade in up to 5 blades.

Got mine ... Thanks OP

got 3
thnx op

elmsuegr said:   Your local store should have the promo active, saw blade must not be an Irwin, they are only swapping competitors blades.

If the blade is used enough, the logo won't be present on the blade - or maybe some rubbing alcohol would clean it off.

Side note - they did refuse to trade in a blade of mine - it was actually brand new, but cheap off brand. Said it had to be a used blade.

evercl92 said:   elmsuegr said:   Your local store should have the promo active, saw blade must not be an Irwin, they are only swapping competitors blades.

If the blade is used enough, the logo won't be present on the blade - or maybe some rubbing alcohol would clean it off.

Side note - they did refuse to trade in a blade of mine - it was actually brand new, but cheap off brand. Said it had to be a used blade.

Wow, that's a lot of ill will for $12. Take that blade out to their parking lot and burn through some of their asphalt parking lot with it. That should get it looking pretty used!

Noahbody123 said:   drof said:   I've done this several times in the last few years. Only thing is these blades really suck. They don't cut well, sometimes the wood smokes up.

"It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

Any other testimonials about performance?
What about sharpening?

Skipping 3 Messages...
I went to Lowes (Lincolnwood,IL) to exchange 3 really old and crappy blades. I asked the tool guy and he walked me over to the promo box by the commercial desk/checkout and tells me to drop the old blades in and to tell the checkout girl that I'm doing the exchange program. Cashier calls her mgr and tells me to remove the blades from the box and go to customer service to ring them up. Two Customer service people didn't have a clue even after I explained it to them and claimed they don't take other competitor's old blades and can't just give me free blades. After 10 minutes of this, the tool guy comes by to explain the program to them and they needed a special SKU code for scanning the promo discount. What made this even more ridiculous is the promo stated a limit 5, but the register limited the promo to only 1 per receipt, so they had to ring me up 3 separate times. If it wasn't for the tool guy knowing what to do, I don't think they would've let me do the offer at this location.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014