• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Latest Advance Auto flyer showins 5 quarts of Penzoil Platinum full synethic oil, with a K&N oil filter, $29.99 for the combo, plus a $10 AMEX mail in rebate, for $19.99 final price.

Great price for good synethic oil and a high quality filter.

Advance Auto Parts
See Advance Auto Parts coupons that earn 5.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Ad, page 11 (69.59kB)
Thanks psxzombie
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Some VWs.

reddhead (Mar. 12, 2013 @ 1:19p) |

Seems like you may be able to double dip with this offer.

jschuman (Mar. 16, 2013 @ 10:12a) |

You should be able to double dip, I haven't seen anything that could link both together and cancel one out. I'm just goi... (more)

TeamZambo (Mar. 16, 2013 @ 9:43p) |

Staff Summary

AD

Its on the last page, They have a lot of great oil deals. Good find

Decent deal, except for the whole mail in rebate part. You can always get Mobil1 Synthetic from Wal Mart for around $25 for 5qts. Filter is usually 4.99 or so..so $30 synthetic oil change...just my 2 cents

Pep Boys has the same deal going right now (probably ends on Saturday)...27.99 if you have a rewards card. A few bucks more, but that nets you a Purolator Gold filter. You can even buy a 2nd set for 24.99

Thanks

I got a in store coupon. Wonder if that will void getting the rebate.

BlurryEyed said:   Decent deal, except for the whole mail in rebate part. You can always get Mobil1 Synthetic from Wal Mart for around $25 for 5qts. Filter is usually 4.99 or so..so $30 synthetic oil change...just my 2 cents

Mobil 1 filter is around 10 bucks, cheap fram is about 5.

I am not rebate fan either. I buy the oil at WM and stock up Purolator Pure One filters at Amazon or at AAP with the FW codes for $5-6.

Trickracen said:   BlurryEyed said:   Decent deal, except for the whole mail in rebate part. You can always get Mobil1 Synthetic from Wal Mart for around $25 for 5qts. Filter is usually 4.99 or so..so $30 synthetic oil change...just my 2 cents

you sure it's mail in rebate? I did a similar deal few months ago, it was done online, only took 5mins, easy as pie.

i just got the deal about an hour ago, the rebate process was all online. they asked for date, reg# and transaction #. took about 2 minutes to fill out

Non-mechanic person here. For my wife's 2006 Chevy Equinox with 79,000 miles on it, should I look for "full synthetic" or the "high milage" oils?

No all cars benefit from Synthetic. Surely the newer cars do, but I still follow the car maker's recommendation. I use regular oil on my 95 Nissan pick up since day one. It turns 272K miles without any problem. I change oil every 5-6k miles. My honda requires synthetic blend and I will just follow the maker requirement, I am sure it will do as good as the Nissan.

30 yrs turning wrenches. Use the high mileage it is formulated to keep seals and gaskits strong and pliable

30 yrs turning wrenches. Use the high mileage it is formulated to keep seals and gaskits strong and pliable

Incorrect, all cars benefit from synthetic. NOT all cars need synthetic.

If you have a regular old N/A that is not a known sludge motor, then sure dino every 5K-6K depending on driving habit. If you want to extend your OCI further then go for synthetic with 10K-12K OCI. Just keep in mind that your filter might not last that long depending on current engine condition.

Do the research for your specific vehicle as the manufacture most times has it all wrong. Why on earth would I believe a car manual that states that ATF is a lifetime fluid? or that running 30 weight is required, when 40 weight is actually a much better oil for the motor. Over and over again, the manuals are legal BS, use your brain and do the research (unless your still under warranty).

keaton85 said:   Incorrect, all cars benefit from synthetic. NOT all cars need synthetic.

If you have a regular old N/A that is not a known sludge motor, then sure dino every 5K-6K depending on driving habit. If you want to extend your OCI further then go for synthetic with 10K-12K OCI. Just keep in mind that your filter might not last that long depending on current engine condition.

Do the research for your specific vehicle as the manufacture most times has it all wrong. Why on earth would I believe a car manual that states that ATF is a lifetime fluid? or that running 30 weight is required, when 40 weight is actually a much better oil for the motor. Over and over again, the manuals are legal BS, use your brain and do the research (unless your still under warranty).

I tend to agree with you on the ATF but read bob is the oil guy there is no evidence 40 is better than 30 if you car is supposed to have 30w and if your car calls for 20w there is no evidence that 30w is better than 20w. Probably should use the recommended oil for your climate.

This is a good deal, I usually use Pure one filters with Advance auto coupons and then WalMart full synthetic in the five quart bottle. But even WalMart full synthetic is $20 for five quarts without a filter.

keaton85 said:   Incorrect, all cars benefit from synthetic. NOT all cars need synthetic.

And what do you bas that off of?
I use to be a Tech and I can't remember any mass-production car has called for 40weight(or 10w40) oil. It went straight 30, 10w30, 5w30, 5w20, and now some are 0w20 as the main oils in use.

clearanceman said:   keaton85 said:   Incorrect, all cars benefit from synthetic. NOT all cars need synthetic.

I tend to agree with you on the ATF but read bob is the oil guy there is no evidence 40 is better than 30 if you car is supposed to have 30w and if your car calls for 20w there is no evidence that 30w is better than 20w. Probably should use the recommended oil for your climate.

This is a good deal, I usually use Pure one filters with Advance auto coupons and then WalMart full synthetic in the five quart bottle. But even WalMart full synthetic is $20 for five quarts without a filter.

WalMart is more like $27-28..no!

FYI, cardcash has the gift cards at 17% off, and will arrive in time before the end of the sale/rebate

psxzombie said:   FYI, cardcash has the gift cards at 17% off, and will arrive in time before the end of the sale/rebate

lowest price I see is $80 cost ($96 total) and its 16% off.

does motor oil go bad if you store it, opened or unopened?

Marlin1975 said:   psxzombie said:   FYI, cardcash has the gift cards at 17% off, and will arrive in time before the end of the sale/rebatelowest price I see is $80 cost ($96 total) and its 16% off.ok, maybe was 17% (supply and demand...) but you are right it's 16%
still better than anything, since it's instore purchase only.

Brick said:   does motor oil go bad if you store it, opened or unopened?

If unopened it can last several years. I usually have about a 1 year stock and rotate so it does not get older than 1 year.

Non Synthetic oil goes stale after a period of time. Full syn is more stable, up to three years. This according to my Diesel oil supplier.

If you have noticed, with the price of crude rising and synthetic capacity increasing, they are getting very close in price. Going to synthetic will extend your oil change interval, so there is a net savings over all. Like CFLs vs.incandescent.

Marlin1975 said:   I use to be a Tech and I can't remember any mass-production car has called for 40weight(or 10w40) oil. It went straight 30, 10w30, 5w30, 5w20, and now some are 0w20 as the main oils in use.2012 Subaru Outback owner's manual: 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Marlin1975 said:   I use to be a Tech and I can't remember any mass-production car has called for 40weight(or 10w40) oil. It went straight 30, 10w30, 5w30, 5w20, and now some are 0w20 as the main oils in use.2012 Subaru Outback owner's manual: 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40.

Actually it calls for 5w30...

"Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30
conventional motor oil, however 5W-30
synthetic may be used for optimum
engine performance."
12-5 2012 owners manual.

You can use other weights but the orignal oil used is 5w30. You can use 20w50 if you adjust for temp, but still designed for 5w30.

Use to be one of those "heavier weight oil is better" guys, until I spent hours on Bob the Oil Guy forum. Oil serves several functions, besides lubrication. One of which is cooling. The lower the weight of the oil the quicker it will flow especially at start up. More flow also equals more cooling. Plus with higher quality engines tolerances are tighter and the quality of the oil is better, with less break down. Most oil loses it additive package long before it starts to break down. Oh on oil life, the biggest factor is stable temperature, garage is worst place to store oil.

What brand of 5w30 synthetic oil is thicker?

speedy777 said:   What brand of 5w30 synthetic oil is thicker?

Most are similar in that it will not make a big differance.

That and as said thicker does not equal better for cars in good condition.

Techron B1G1 is a great deal as well.

Trickracen said:   BlurryEyed said:   Decent deal, except for the whole mail in rebate part. You can always get Mobil1 Synthetic from Wal Mart for around $25 for 5qts. Filter is usually 4.99 or so..so $30 synthetic oil change...just my 2 cents

Advancd Auto also has Mobil 1(5 qts) + Mobil 1 filter for $33.99 or Mobil 1 EP(5 qts) and Mobil 1 filter for $35.99.

nm, wrong thread

speedy777 said:   What brand of 5w30 synthetic oil is thicker?
I believe German Castrol is one of the heaviest rated 30weight. As in it is only a few points away from being a 40weight rated.

As for BITOG forums, where is the topic on 30 vs 40?

Keep in mind that EPA ratings have caused the 20weight craze for manufactures, not reliability of a 20weight. For personal experience, almost every other country runs 40weights in most vehicles. Go to New Zealand and try and find a 30weight!!! good luck.

NOT the K&N HP series filter, they go for $15 or so at Advanced.

k

picked up 3 of them for mine.

lesliegoolcharan said:   NOT the K&N HP series filter, they go for $15 or so at Advanced.Wrong! I just bought the oil with a HP series filter (up to $16.99, see ad in summary), the same one pictured online and on the printed ad, rang up as the sale price. Already submitted the rebate online.

Skipping 3 Messages...
You should be able to double dip, I haven't seen anything that could link both together and cancel one out. I'm just going to have to try.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014