• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
MOTOROLA (SB6121) SURFboard Cable Modem RJ-45 $67.44 After Coupon & Free Shipping at Newegg

• RJ-45 Interface
  • DOCSIS 3.0 Security
  • Up to 160MBps Downstream
  • Up to 120MBps Upstream
  • 1-Year Limited Warranty

Normally $77.44 or more, now $67.44 after $10 off coupon code "EMCXTXW52" and free shipping. 4/5 eggs based on 323 buyer reviews.

If you are paying monthly to rent a cable modem from your internet service provider (Time Warner customers know what I'm talking about) this is a no-brainer.

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
was gonna make an offer to modems-modems, but the seller is in CA, most likely i will get charged for tax, so did not tr... (more)

bulletban (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 12:42p) |

I have been researching a new modem since mine was zapped last week during a storm. according to this, ALL black SB61... (more)

electrostatic (Apr. 20, 2013 @ 10:01p) |

sounds legit. al lot of people are saying bogus on the black SB6121

electrostatic (Apr. 20, 2013 @ 10:02p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Also, if you have a visa card you can use, sign up for V.me by Visa and use coupon VMEPROMOMAR13 to save an additional 10%

Edit: NM....it doesn't stack with the coupon in OP.

DOCSIS 3 - Good deal - tempted... cause my 6yr+ old Motorola modem will eventually die...

Would this work with TimeWarnerCable?
I just checked, it does work with TWC.

I have this modem and love it. I'm hoping the price continues to drop now that the new model (Surfboard 6141) is out. Both models are able to channel bond up to four upstream channels, but the new model is able to channel bond up to eight down stream channels, a theoretical throughput capacity of 320Mbps (double the SB6121).

Does this work for COMCAST ?

kiranmedepalli said:   Does this work for COMCAST ?

Yes, Comcast is my ISP and I use this modem at home.

This should work with Time Warner no problem

wouldn't getting SB6141 be better which is selling at 90$ on Amazon

greenearth said:   wouldn't getting SB6141 be better which is selling at 90$ on Amazon

I have seen the SB6141 for less even, but it is selling out fast. If you see my post above the only real difference is the throughput of the downstream is theoretically doubled. For most however the SB6121 is plenty fast and a huge improvement over an old DOCSIS 2.0 or older modem.

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does one need to do to get this working with Time Warner? When returning the rented modem, just give them the mac address of the one purchased?

brokedude said:   Sorry for the newbie question, but what does one need to do to get this working with Time Warner? When returning the rented modem, just give them the mac address of the one purchased?

No need for apologies, all newbie questions welcome. Yes, you will need to call TW to let them know you have a new DOCSIS 3 modem and they will need the MAC Address that is hard to read off the bottom. If you have any issues once all hooked up, unplug the modem and router and wait 30-60 seconds. Then plug in the modem and let it power up completely (give it a min or two), and then power up your router (if you have one) in that order.

NM...both have gigabit ports.

TheWalL said:   NM...both have gigabit ports.

Yes, they will have a orange light on top when connected to 100MBps and all blue lights when hooked up to a gigabit router / network card.

Ill give it a few days, will see if it drops below 70.
http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16825122015

In for one, it will be paid off soon enough with Time Warner's new fee structure

i have 2 of these, one with Comcast and one with RCN, they work great, got them at Fry's for a little more quite awhile ago. the LED's are bright though, so i recommend electrical tape

too bad the additional 10% from V dont stack, but still in for one. better than paying $4/month to TWC.

bulletban said:   too bad the additional 10% from V dont stack, but still in for one. better than paying $4/month to TWC.

You should be happy you're not in Comcast's evil grip...they charge $7 a month...for SB5101.

Logician1313 said:   greenearth said:   wouldn't getting SB6141 be better which is selling at 90$ on Amazon

I have seen the SB6141 for less even, but it is selling out fast. If you see my post above the only real difference is the throughput of the downstream is theoretically doubled. For most however the SB6121 is plenty fast and a huge improvement over an old DOCSIS 2.0 or older modem.

Yes however you can get a new, factrory sealed SB6141 on eBay from several reputable Top Rated power sellers who specialize in selling nothing but cable modems for $70 shipped with BO. IMO the SB6141 is worth the couple dollars more over the SB6121. We have purchased 40 in the past year for our local salvage affiliates with no problems. In fact most of the SB6141s we get off eBay are newer than the ones sold in stores. The last batch we got had manufacturer dates within 30 days of purchase and were shipped directly from Motorola in Ca.

So if I have a 3mb or 5mbps downstream connection, will this afford any benefit over an SB5101 (assuming that modem is allowed) which can do 30mbps? Other than a gigabit port and a warranty?

Good price for SB6121. Paid $86.89 shipped on Amazon 3 months ago. Can't complain, and IS on Comcast's hardware compatibility list.

TWC charges $3.99 in "modem lease fee" per month to let the customers use the modem. So buying this modem would be akin to investing $67 that pays for itself ~17 months.

This assumes that you will be a TWC customer for next 17 months and also assumes that the modem lease fee will continue to exist at its current rate or higher.

exclusivelysid said:   TWC charges $3.99 in "modem lease fee" per month to let the customers use the modem. So buying this modem would be akin to investing $67 that pays for itself ~17 months.

This assumes that you will be a TWC customer for next 17 months and also assumes that the modem lease fee will continue to exist at its current rate or higher.

I feel so much luckier being a Comcast customer... this modem will pay itself off in < 10 months, handily beating your 17 months payback period. And Comcast has been charging me the $7 modem lease fee for years, raised from $3-$4 for...ever. I can always count on Comcast to make this investment look like genius.

TheMeliorist said:   So if I have a 3mb or 5mbps downstream connection, will this afford any benefit over an SB5101 (assuming that modem is allowed) which can do 30mbps? Other than a gigabit port and a warranty?No. However, it's probably only a matter of time before ISP's require modems support DOCSIS 3 or above. If you are considering buying a new modem why not spend a little more to future proof your investment?

How does this compares with SB6180? I'm getting SB6180 from Craigslist for $45.

I was able to get a NIB 6141 from eBay for $65 and the guy has a lot of them. It's hooked on to Comcast and works perfectly.

kshell said:   TheMeliorist said:   So if I have a 3mb or 5mbps downstream connection, will this afford any benefit over an SB5101 (assuming that modem is allowed) which can do 30mbps? Other than a gigabit port and a warranty?No. However, it's probably only a matter of time before ISP's require modems support DOCSIS 3 or above. If you are considering buying a new modem why not spend a little more to future proof your investment? Thanks for the response! I agree that it's a matter of time; my guess would be 3 years but let's assume 2. The current deal has the 5101 for $18. Do you expect to be able to get this modem for less than $50 in 2 years? I'm not sure.

whadzinaname said:   I was able to get a NIB 6141 from eBay for $65 and the guy has a lot of them. It's hooked on to Comcast and works perfectly.

whats the name of the seller? i want one too

modems-modems make offer for 65

ziff said:   modems-modems make offer for 65

was gonna make an offer to modems-modems, but the seller is in CA, most likely i will get charged for tax, so did not try. after 4 offers attempts to 4 diff seller, amodems took my offer for 67. gonna cancelled the 6121 ordered from Newegg

I have been researching a new modem since mine was zapped last week during a storm. according to this, ALL black SB6121's are used... http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/pro...

sounds legit. al lot of people are saying bogus on the black SB6121

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014