• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Best Buy has the Apple - Refurbished AirPort Extreme Wireless for $89.99

Excellent router! I got in on this last time. I also use two of them at work. They are rock solid.

Airport Extreme

Best Buy
See Best Buy discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Apple - Refurbished AirPort Extreme Wireless
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer

Airport Extreme
Thanks Stoodo
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks everyone for the MOCA explanation. I have CAT6 (not Coax) coming out of my FiOs basement box, and I'm using it w... (more)

randyest (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 9:53a) |

Received my Airport Extreme yesterday. It is the newest model, had a couple scuffs on the bottom. Hooked it up and got i... (more)

davidv7636 (Mar. 06, 2013 @ 8:08a) |

I got my Airport extreme today. Also the newest model. Hooked it up... it's working great. A whole lot easier to setup... (more)

suppin (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 12:47a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is this the model that allows for a separate guest Wi-Fi?

Good Deal. I have this extreme. It's solid and very simple to get up and running in minutes...

Yes

gusk1200 said:   Is this the model that allows for a separate guest Wi-Fi?

This is the latest version (5th Gen)

yes, unless you run it in bridge mode (i.e. guest network does not work with fios)

Tempting but I'd hate to get a bad one and have to pay to ship it back:
Disclaimer of Warranties. ALTHOUGH THIS REFURBISHED PRODUCT IS SUBJECT TO THE RETURN POLICY, THIS REFURBISHED PRODUCT IS SOLD ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
BEST BUY AND APPLE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Edit: looks like I can have them ship to store. Then I assume I could return to store if needed. Hmmm....

Edit2: looks like I can order online, ship to home, and if necessary return to store. Done deal! Thanks OP!

frenchy said:   yes, unless you run it in bridge mode (i.e. guest network does not work with fios)

FIOS requires you have them run the NAT server for you?

If so, not a fan of that.

I have one of these, assuming this is the latest 3-antenna model it works well. You obviously will have value the reliability of Apple's routers in order to put up with the high price though.

It's nice having a router that doesn't crash and reboot very often, but you're going to pay. And you'll have to live with NAT-PMP instead of UPnP for NAT port opening.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   I have one of these, assuming this is the latest 3-antenna model it works well. You obviously will have value the reliability of Apple's routers in order to put up with the high price though.

It's nice having a router that doesn't crash and reboot very often, but you're going to pay. And you'll have to live with NAT-PMP instead of UPnP for NAT port opening.

I paid full price for mine couple years ago, and its going strong, only resetted it once since moving in to my new place 1.25 years ago. It does have a high upfront cost, but knowing that I never have to restart of wonder why coverage is dropping is a price i'm willing to pay. I initially got if for a bigger space and when I was living with roommates (hated getting texts saying why internet wouldn't work).

However, keep in mind that this is a refurb model, and sold by Best Buy. I'm not sure if reliability would be rock solid as if it was new or if were a refurb sold from apple directly. But then again, this is almost $100 off!

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   frenchy said:   yes, unless you run it in bridge mode (i.e. guest network does not work with fios)

Depends on a number of things. Mostly, if you use MOCHA, you need to use thier mocha router, which does nat - then in turn the airport would be doing double nat - but it still should work.

You can have fios use Ethernet instead, but that is not usually their typical set-up.

Excellent deal. Got in on this last time around at this price and its a great product. Not a fan of their newer setup app that seems limited compared to before, but it works solid and good performance on both bands.

BloatedElvis said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   frenchy said:   yes, unless you run it in bridge mode (i.e. guest network does not work with fios)

Depends on a number of things. Mostly, if you use MOCHA, you need to use thier mocha router, which does nat - then in turn the airport would be doing double nat - but it still should work.

You can have fios use Ethernet instead, but that is not usually their typical set-up.

Huh? What's MOCHA? I have FiOS and I just have a CAT6 cable coming out of the Verizon box that I plug into a cheap netgear router (which this will replace.) Is that not the usual FiOS setup?

MOCHA is ethernet over the COAX. Around here (Northern Virginia) that was the default setup, not cat5 out of the NID. I had to specifically ask for them to activate the Ethernet port on the NID.

In for one. I'm currently running a DD-WRT Buffalo router as a wireless bridge and it needs rebooting twice a week. Time to replace it with something more solid.

randyest said:   BloatedElvis said:   HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   frenchy said:   yes, unless you run it in bridge mode (i.e. guest network does not work with fios)

Huh? What's MOCHA? I have FiOS and I just have a CAT6 cable coming out of the Verizon box that I plug into a cheap netgear router (which this will replace.) Is that not the usual FiOS setup?

If your FIOS Router has a COAX cable connected to it then you are using MOCA. That is the most common setup.

shastada said:   Excellent deal. Got in on this last time around at this price and its a great product. Not a fan of their newer setup app that seems limited compared to before, but it works solid and good performance on both bands.

If you're setting this up via a Mac you can still download V5.x of the Airport Utility as opposed to the brain-dead 6.x and have all the old options available.

frenchy said:   yes, unless you run it in bridge mode (i.e. guest network does not work with fios)

This isn't quite true. I have FIOS with the Actiontec router. The Actiontec router is set in bridge mode and then you can use whatever router you like (apple or other) to get your IP address from Verizon and create your guest network.

Do a search on how to set your FIOS router into bridge mode.

ptdalen said:   

If your FIOS Router has a COAX cable connected to it then you are using MOCA. That is the most common setup.

Yes, MOCA. (not MOCHA) Doh.

does this have gigabit?

edit - yes it does. sometimes i'm lazy.

Sold out online.

dpid said:   This is the latest version (5th Gen)

If you read the reviews, although it is advertised as 5th gen a lot of people are getting 4th gen, and it appears these are being refurbished by a 3rd party who doesn't do a very good job. I'd stay away from these personally.

woog3150 said:   dpid said:   This is the latest version (5th Gen)

If you read the reviews, although it is advertised as 5th gen a lot of people are getting 4th gen, and it appears these are being refurbished by a 3rd party who doesn't do a very good job. I'd stay away from these personally.

I had the same opinion at first. However, if you do further research regarding the offer in the past its a nonissue as you can return it one way or another.

randyest said:   Huh? What's MOCHA? I have FiOS and I just have a CAT6 cable coming out of the Verizon box that I plug into a cheap netgear router (which this will replace.) Is that not the usual FiOS setup?I believe he means MOCA.

Thanks everyone for the MOCA explanation. I have CAT6 (not Coax) coming out of my FiOs basement box, and I'm using it with my own netgear router now, which I plan to replace with this Airport. You folks with MOCA -- do you have something like a cable modem or special router with Coax input on it or something?

Received my Airport Extreme yesterday. It is the newest model, had a couple scuffs on the bottom. Hooked it up and got it configured. Working perfectly so far with no issues.

I got my Airport extreme today. Also the newest model. Hooked it up... it's working great. A whole lot easier to setup than the Buffalo DD-WRT router it replaces. Hopefully it'll be more stable.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014