Voting History
rated:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor @ Tiger Direct - $84.99 after Coupon
was $129.99
Free Shipping!
Expires On: Mar 3, 2013 11:59pm

Coupons
SOF84469 - $5 off

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor
Thanks byakuya07
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Nonsense. It all depends on whether or not the mfg releases a BIOS update to support AM3 CPUs.

I have two AM2+ boards her... (more)

VirtuaL (Mar. 03, 2013 @ 10:26p) |

And I think you just qualified for the most irrelevant nerdgasm of the year. The average consumer (myself) doesn't care ... (more)

af21187 (Mar. 10, 2013 @ 3:53p) |

Tried to upgrade an older x2 5000 on a Gigabyte 690G motherboard. Using the beta BIOS, I can get it to post but it's lo... (more)

AlphabetBackward (Mar. 14, 2013 @ 9:50a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › AMD
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The Phenom II X6 is a timeless classic. Almost 3 years after its initial release, Intel still do not have an answer. Intel has yet to manage the technology to make 6 core CPUs. Green for you OP!

Eh? There are six-core Core2Duo Xeon chips, there are six-core Socket 1366 chips, there are six-core Socket 2011 chips, and soon there will be 10-core Socket 2011 chips. Intel does not lack the technology to make more than quad-core chips.

That being said, I agree with you somewhat, I wish Intel would release six- or 8-core CPUs for their CONSUMER processor market segment, which is still only scheduled to get 4-core CPUs in the near future (Haswell).

Crap.
125W version.
My aging Gigabyte mobo only supports the 95W version.

sixt7gt350 said:   Crap.
125W version.
My aging Gigabyte mobo only supports the 95W version.

They also have the 1045T 95W version, for $99.99 FS.

Does this not have an L3 Cache?

I saw that.
$15 more and less performance, but it's the price to pay for keeping existing mobo and memory.

edick said:   Does this not have an L3 Cache?

6MB L3

I bought one and I'm putting it in a 95w motherboard.

I'm crazy...

I did a search and another dude said it worked. It's not going to be running full bore anyways, just a bit of visualization. I can always under clock/under volt it.

Yay me! My Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H can run both the 125W and 95W versions...

Schmide said:   I bought one and I'm putting it in a 95w motherboard.

I'm crazy...

I did a search and another dude said it worked. It's not going to be running full bore anyways, just a bit of visualization. I can always under clock/under volt it.

Which mobo?
I'm running a gigabyte M61PME-S2P.

fatxman said:   The Phenom II X6 is a timeless classic. Almost 3 years after its initial release, Intel still do not have an answer. Intel has yet to manage the technology to make 6 core CPUs. Green for you OP!

Intel CPUs destroy AMD at pretty much any benchmark, and Intel has been releasing 6-core CPUs for a few years now. Take your AMD fanboyism elsewhere, please.

af21187 said:   fatxman said:   The Phenom II X6 is a timeless classic. Almost 3 years after its initial release, Intel still do not have an answer. Intel has yet to manage the technology to make 6 core CPUs. Green for you OP!

Intel CPUs destroy AMD at pretty much any benchmark, and Intel has been releasing 6-core CPUs for a few years now. Take your AMD fanboyism elsewhere, please.

I think you just qualified for the dumbest comment on computers for the evening, possibly for the week and the last month. If you go to DARPA's HPCChallenge which are the most difficult benchmarks in the world you will find Jaguar which happens to run this processor is still second in the world after 4 years on the list at number 1 in 2009 and 2010. In 8 years and 96 possible awards Intel has NO awards. AMD has 32. Intel's last winner was the Pentium Pro 233 in ASCI Red in 1999. Don't know what TINKERTOY benchmarks you are looking at, but where the Big Dogs run Intel gets left out. The only other benchmarks that meet IEEE 754 standards for accuracy and testing integrity are at spec.org. You will find a few wins for Intel in Integer benchmarks but none in floating point. http://www.hpcchallenge.org/ http://www.spec.org/ Pros (other than NASA special case they started man rated software on Intel in the 1990's and no one is brave enough to risk recompiling)) don't use Intel. It is either SPARC64, IBM or AMD.

BioStar A770E3

as seen here

Sadly, the M61PME-S2P does not seem to support Phenom II x6 processors.

Schmide said:   BioStar A770E3

as seen here

None of the nVidia AM2+ boards will support the AM3. Nearly all AM2+ boards with AMD northbridge run the 1055. I am running a MSI K9A2 Platinum with one and the old OCZ AM2 Special 16 bit page file memory. In Catia it is faster than any DDR3 except if you have a pair of the AM3 special OCZ memory. You benefit from the Cray/Seastar II technology.

While not defending or bashing either intel or amd (as I use both for different purposes), I would recommend everyone to take a look at this chart: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_value_available.html

It lists out CPU performance per dollar (average retail pricing) of amd and intel chips. Notice who has majority of the top slots. Also notice how far down the chart you have to go before you find an intel cpu that any of us would normally use in our rigs.

Point being, amd and intel each have competative offerings depending on your budget and/or needs. This is still a fantastic deal all around. Green for OP.

i don't think someone pointing out that this chip is a good value for the $$ sounded at all like fanboyism, not nearly as much as an un-supported, open ended bench mark claim

af21187 said:   fatxman said:   The Phenom II X6 is a timeless classic. Almost 3 years after its initial release, Intel still do not have an answer. Intel has yet to manage the technology to make 6 core CPUs. Green for you OP!

Schmide said:   BioStar A770E3

as seen here

Rev 1.0 will, just not 125W processors.
Mine's a 1.0 board. (I suspect gigabyte cheapened some hardware after Rev 1.0.)
I asked gigabyte to comment on whether the BIOS would refuse to recognize or if I could tweak down the settings.

Bumping my X3 8650 to an X6 1055T should be a decent upgrade on the cheap, if it could happen.

Phenom II X6 is a great value at $85. Locked multiplier does not prevent FSB and NB overclocking. Very happy with 1055T OC'd to 3.6 GHz, going 4.1 Ghz in 3 core Turbo mode. Used to buy Intel and overclock, before Intel locked down their sub-$200 chips.

Have one AM3 chip running fine, overclocked, on an EVGA nForce 730a mobo (NVIDIA GeForce 8200/nForce 730a Chipset, old hot deal ~$20 mobo + $50 Microcenter Phenom II 830 cpu). Don't know about the other nVidia chipsets (had & sold some uATX). Likely VRM's are too weak even if they could POST with an AM3 1055T.
nsdp said:   None of the nVidia AM2+ boards will support the AM3. Nearly all AM2+ boards with AMD northbridge run the 1055. I am running a MSI K9A2 Platinum with one and the old OCZ AM2 Special 16 bit page file memory. In Catia it is faster than any DDR3 except if you have a pair of the AM3 special OCZ memory. You benefit from the Cray/Seastar II technology.

nsdp said:   None of the nVidia AM2+ boards will support the AM3.

Nonsense. It all depends on whether or not the mfg releases a BIOS update to support AM3 CPUs.

I have two AM2+ boards here with NV chipsets in them. One has an AM2 CPU with DDR2, the other has an Athlon II X4 CPU (AM3), also with DDR2.

Edit: Both are limited to 95W CPUs. So this 1055T wouldn't work, but the 1045T would.

nsdp said:   af21187 said:   fatxman said:   The Phenom II X6 is a timeless classic. Almost 3 years after its initial release, Intel still do not have an answer. Intel has yet to manage the technology to make 6 core CPUs. Green for you OP!

I think you just qualified for the dumbest comment on computers for the evening, possibly for the week and the last month. If you go to DARPA's HPCChallenge which are the most difficult benchmarks in the world you will find Jaguar which happens to run this processor is still second in the world after 4 years on the list at number 1 in 2009 and 2010. In 8 years and 96 possible awards Intel has NO awards. AMD has 32. Intel's last winner was the Pentium Pro 233 in ASCI Red in 1999. Don't know what TINKERTOY benchmarks you are looking at, but where the Big Dogs run Intel gets left out. The only other benchmarks that meet IEEE 754 standards for accuracy and testing integrity are at spec.org. You will find a few wins for Intel in Integer benchmarks but none in floating point. http://www.hpcchallenge.org/ http://www.spec.org/ Pros (other than NASA special case they started man rated software on Intel in the 1990's and no one is brave enough to risk recompiling)) don't use Intel. It is either SPARC64, IBM or AMD.

And I think you just qualified for the most irrelevant nerdgasm of the year. The average consumer (myself) doesn't care about any of that junk. Enjoy your falling stock prices, and find something better to do with your time.

Tried to upgrade an older x2 5000 on a Gigabyte 690G motherboard. Using the beta BIOS, I can get it to post but it's locked at 800 MHz and only 1 core. I read someone had a 1090T working on the same board and was hoping for similar results. Oh well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014