• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Heavy Duty Fully Synthetic Motor Oil @ Advance Auto Parts - $11.09 after Coupon & Rebate
was $22.99
Free in-store pickup
Expires On: May 31, 2013 11:59pm

Coupons
DOW9 - 30% off

Rebates
$5 off

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Advance Auto Parts
Need a Advance Auto Parts coupon that earns 5.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Heavy Duty Fully Synthetic Motor Oil
Thanks sparky34
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Got a postcard from shell today that said

"invalid reimbursement code'

of course no phone number listed to contact them, s... (more)

kenny1773 (Apr. 11, 2013 @ 5:08p) |

^

Yea I got the same card

Marlin1975 (Apr. 14, 2013 @ 10:01a) |

lyubomirb (Apr. 23, 2013 @ 5:48p) |

The rebate center phone number is 866-707-6737
Staff Summary
  • Advance Auto Parts Coupons:
    AAP15OFF
    Save 15% On All Orders (expires 9/30/14 11:59pm)
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I use this in my Kawasaki Ninja 650r. Very popular with the sport bike crowd.Great value after rebate.

Coupons usually don't work on oil so if you want this deal I would act fast.

No rebate from at Shell web site

I bought 2 of them and added this filler then used code ES123 for $20 off $50.

rebate is good for two jugs and dont forget DISCOVER

Lotus recommends 5W40 for the Elise/Exige and the "truck" formulas have added zinc and additives that isn't allowed in "car" formulations due toEPA regs. Thanks!

Marlin1975 said:   Coupons usually don't work on oil so if you want this deal I would act fast.

This is SO true.
So I'm in for 4. I still have 4-6 filters left from Purculator Gold deal last year...Now, I'm set for the year! YAY

awesome deal, use this oil in My Libery CRD (Diesel)

Great deal!!!

perfect for the 5cyl turbo Volvos, they love it!

The only issue with Rotella is that these are the 4 quart jugs, whereas most everyone else goes with the 5 quart.

My automobile uses Rotella 15w 40w, Would it ruin the engine if I use this 5w 40w?
Thanks in advance.

Use this in my 671 detroit Diesel. Have a little over two million miles on it.

Imjusthappytobehere said:   My automobile uses Rotella 15w 40w, Would it ruin the engine if I use this 5w 40w?
Thanks in advance.

Nope, the first number is starting viscosity.

It's 5W-40 or 15W-40

There is not W after the second number as the W stands for "Winter"

Just picked up a gallon for the VW oil change...thanx OP

keaton85 said:   Imjusthappytobehere said:   My automobile uses Rotella 15w 40w, Would it ruin the engine if I use this 5w 40w?
Thanks in advance.

It's 5W-40 or 15W-40

"W" does Not stand for Winter. Common urban legend.

no rebate from shell

dclct said:   no rebate from shell

I just submitted my rebate with scanned receipt on the shell website from OP link...worked fine..I hope

Red55 said:   keaton85 said:   Imjusthappytobehere said:   My automobile uses Rotella 15w 40w, Would it ruin the engine if I use this 5w 40w?
Thanks in advance.

It's 5W-40 or 15W-40

"W" does Not stand for Winter. Common urban legend.

What do you beleive it stands for?

Caught my eye...but after checking...I use the regular Rotella Triple...WalMart has for $13 everyday.

I would guess that W=Weight

Just checked on several websites. W stands for winter.

for those not near Advance Auto Parts, Oreilly has Rotella T6 for $20 again, so $15 AR per gallon.

Keep checking....................w=weight

gbfromtenn said:   Keep checking....................w=weight

We have a winner!

Long description would entail reading (for hours) on Bob the Oil Guy. Several oil nuts there and found it very interesting. . . Short description, which maybe be not totally accurate is the 5 W 40 means 5 weight oil at start up and performs like 40 weight oil at engine operating temperature. Nothing to do with winter and the letter w. (BTW I too thought it meant winter, because some shade tree mechanic told me so . . ) Most 5w40 have additives that help the "5" weight oil perform like "40" weight. Once again check with the tribologists for more an accurate answer.

did not see where it says you can buy 2.

I have never heard of the "winter" one before. That's pretty funny. Its always been "weight" with my auto shop teachers and mechanics. Guess I have been running 30 "winter" oil in my lawn tractor.

This is a decent deal but just remember its for only 4 qts

I would love to see the topic that stated "W" stands for weight on BITOG. Actually, any articles that note the "W" as weight for the cold rating of a multi-grade oil.

Technically the "W" has no specific meaning as it's an abbreviation for cold temperature rating. Even if the "W" did not stand for Winter, it's a good way for people that are not oil gurus to remember that the "W" is the cold rating for the muti-grade oil.

0W, 5W, 10W and so forth is categorized as the viscosity index of the oil at a cold temperature. A DIFFERENT rating system then one for the hot test.
20, 30, 40 and so forth is categorize as the viscosity index of oil at hot temperatures.

Thus, you couldnt call 5W-30, 5W-30W, because the "W" denotes the cold temperature rating. NOT weight...

Here is a BITOG topic that kinda touches base on this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat...

nomonies said:   I bought 2 of them and added this filler then used code ES123 for $20 off $50.

Code ES123 does not seem to work for me. My cart says that discount is applied, but no $20 off.
How did you get this to work?

AtoZed said:   nomonies said:   I bought 2 of them and added this filler then used code ES123 for $20 off $50.

Code ES123 does not seem to work for me. My cart says that discount is applied, but no $20 off.

Could be you have used that code b4 and has a limit

brotherhpj said:   AtoZed said:   nomonies said:   I bought 2 of them and added this filler then used code ES123 for $20 off $50.

Could be you have used that code b4 and has a limit

Yea most codes have a limit to them. The % off seem to work more than once. Not sure if thats still true but the 30% and 20% have worked more than once in the past.

(sigh)

http://www.sae.org/news/releases/rightoil.htm

SAE established oil grading. I think they know what "W" stands for....

After reading through that article what do you think the SAE considers W?

brotherhpj said:   rebate is good for two jugs and dont forget DISCOVER

Carweful with this. The main page says limit 2 but after you fill the rebate out it then says 1.

I bought 2 and registered 2 rebates. 1 I uploaded the other I mailed in. I also sent the main page that said 2 in with the mail in part and highlighted the differance.

keaton85 said:   After reading through that article what do you think the SAE considers W?

The first number is the grade designation of the oil when it is at zero degrees Fahrenheit. Yes, it is the WINTER W grade designation.

The second number is the grade at normal engine operating temperature (Over 180F). It's that simple.

I asked my uncle who has been a Diesel master mechanic for 40 years.

Just picked up 2 bottles with the ES123 coupon worked great.

According to valvoline W stands for winter.

Link

Marlin1975 said:   brotherhpj said:   rebate is good for two jugs and dont forget DISCOVER

Carweful with this. The main page says limit 2 but after you fill the rebate out it then says 1.

I bought 2 and registered 2 rebates. 1 I uploaded the other I mailed in. I also sent the main page that said 2 in with the mail in part and highlighted the differance.

I noticed that too last night and was confused about it and was going to call the 800# to get an answer on monday. Got two jugs so they better give me the answer I want!

does not work. tried one gallon, then two gallons. Neither works. Gives $5 off but not the full amount.

brotherhpj said:   Marlin1975 said:   brotherhpj said:   rebate is good for two jugs and dont forget DISCOVER

I noticed that too last night and was confused about it and was going to call the 800# to get an answer on monday. Got two jugs so they better give me the answer I want!

Just got off the phone with the rebate people and the rebate is good for only one per household. Back to AAP to return the whole order! Now it looks like the coupon is not working with the oil which we all knew was coming. Kind of a messy deal but thanks OP!!

Skipping 12 Messages...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014