• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD) @ Newegg - $159.99
Compare at $191.99
Free Shipping!
Expires On: Mar 4, 2013 11:59pm

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD)
Thanks zimphella
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Not true, Shell Shockers are often still available after the advertised special ends. Shell Shocker times only correspo... (more)

nneelix (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 3:39p) |

as Amazon prime user, i purchased from Amazon instead. two-day free shipping. much more liberal return policy versus Ne... (more)

damytzeus (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 8:27p) |

IOPS number doesn't matter? If sequential read/write is what matters then we should all get 4 250GB spin drives and set... (more)

fatxman (Mar. 04, 2013 @ 11:47p) |

4KB Random Read
Up to 45,000 IOPS

4KB Random Write
Up to 50,000 IOPS
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$159.99 has been the normal "sale price" for a couple of months now...

I picked one of these up at $159.99. Awesome drive.

This is the Shell Shocker deal, it is only good until 9:59 AM PT.

I missed the last sale on this on President's Day, but today I didn't wait. Thanks!

To make it sweeter, remember to take another 10% off via V.meText = final comes out @ 143.99
Details here: http://www.fatwallet.com/Newegg-coupons/code-679797/

In for one, thanks OP.

The M500 is coming soon. This thing is/will be obsolete. Don't buy!

http://www.crucial.com/store/ProductMarketing_m500.aspx

So you mean it will stop working with M500 comes out? 143.99 for 256GB fast drive is too much still?

99% of people won't notice a single difference between a M4 and a M500.

fatxman said:   The M500 is coming soon. This thing is/will be obsolete. Don't buy!

God damn it, don't tell me.

Now, you just made me wait for the M500

I have the 128GB version of this drive and love it. I'm sure something better will come along every year. But I hardly think hard drives can be considered "obsolete." It will still hold the same data and return the same performance. This isn't a super hot deal, but definitely warm if you're in the market.

fatxman said:   The M500 is coming soon. This thing is/will be obsolete. Don't buy!

Why am I getting red for this? $160 is a large investment and SSD price has gone up. When new SSDs come out, price may drop. You can get cheaper ones or get the new one. As for noticing the difference, how can anyone know? the M500 hasn't come out yet. The M4 is a good drive, but it is old.

In general - it's still over 50 cents a GB so whatever, SSD is way overpriced, and prices do seem to be climbing back up again.

Now that said I've used several M4 for various builds and they are fast, Crucial is a reliable company, if you must have SSD it's not a bad deal. Of course a new generation is coming, that's technology.

fatxman said:   fatxman said:   The M500 is coming soon. This thing is/will be obsolete. Don't buy!

Why am I getting red for this? $160 is a large investment and SSD price has gone up. When new SSDs come out, price may drop. You can get cheaper ones or get the new one. As for noticing the difference, how can anyone know? the M500 hasn't come out yet. The M4 is a good drive, but it is old.

I gave you red because you said the drive was about to become "obsolete" and I think that was an inappropriate use of the term. In terms of computers I think that word should only be applied when functionality is affected. Microsoft not allowing new APIs to work on older operating systems would be an example of attempted obsolescence. New iOS apps not working on older iPhones would be another example. But this is just a degree of performance difference and therefore I don't think obsolete is in any way appropriate. And the word has a very negative connotation. This is a warm deal and should be judged on its own merits, not against the next big thing that may or may not ship on time and in a bug free state.

I think his point was pretty straight forward, once the new one comes out the existing "old" model will drop further in price. Thus the same price it keeps getting offered at currently is not that great compared to what it will be offered for if you wait a little longer. Considering this site is about getting the best deal I think the post was on point pretty perfectly. Now go ahead and give me red because the truth hurts.

I didn't give red because the truth hurts. And I'm not emotionally invested in this one way or the other. I thought his point was wrong and I used the moderation tool provided to me to illustrate my feelings. There was nothing personal or emotional about it. You disagree with me. That's fine, give me red. I won't get upset about it I promise. That is the appropriate way for you to show that you disagree. My opinion is that this is a great drive being offered at a very decent price at this moment. If you need a drive now this is a great option. If you can afford to wait it may or may not be a good idea. But this site is about pricing and I believe this is a worthy posting. If I was in the market this is a purchase I would make and I would appreciate the OP for bringing it to my attention.

Still good deal for a stable and proven product IMHO. Thanks for posting

The only change I'd do to this is to HIGHLIGHT the V.me check out that gives another $16 OFF at the checkout.

Looks like Amazon price matched this deal today(clicky)

Can anyone tell from the provided link what has changed in M500 vs M4, besides the memory technological process (20nm vs 25nm Micron MLC NAND)?

Speedwise (Sustained Sequential Writes) the M500 looks slower than M4:
M4 Specs: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT256M4SSD2
Form Factor 2.5"
Memory Components MLC
Sustained Sequential Read Up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
Sustained Sequential Write Up to 260 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s) >>>>>>> 250MB/s for M500 256GB
4KB Random Read Up to 45K IOPS >>>>>> 72,000 IOPS (M500)
4KB Random Write Up to 50K IOPS >>>>>> 60,000 IOPS (M500)
Width 69.85mm
Depth 100.5mm
Height 9.5mm
Weight 75g
MTBF 1,200,000 hours

Features
Integrated 8-channel single chip Controller
Self-monitoring, analysis, and reporting technology (SMART) command set
RAID Support
Average Access Time < 0.1 ms

Environmental
Power Consumption (Idle): < 65 mW
Power Consumption (Active): 0.15W
Operating Temperature: 0C ~ +70C
Storage Temperature: -40C ~ +85C
Max Shock Resistance: 1500G

IOPS numbers rarely matter for non-enterprise users.

cuauhtemoc said:   Looks like Amazon price matched this deal today(clicky)

Is Amazon taking off $16 for using V.me?

In CA taxes are equally bad for both resellers

misch said:   This is the Shell Shocker deal, it is only good until 9:59 AM PT.

Not true, Shell Shockers are often still available after the advertised special ends. Shell Shocker times only correspond to when the next item is made available.

What determines when a shell shocker deal ends is when the item either sells to its quota of units sold (Sold Out), or the promo day ends at Newegg.com.

This item is still available as I write this. Now the value of a "Shell Shocker" has decreased considerably since its inception, but that is another discussion.

as Amazon prime user, i purchased from Amazon instead. two-day free shipping. much more liberal return policy versus Newegg. Newegg only permits exchange for same thing.

mandrew2005 said:   fatxman said:   The M500 is coming soon. This thing is/will be obsolete. Don't buy!

Can anyone tell from the provided link what has changed in M500 vs M4, besides the memory technological process (20nm vs 25nm Micron MLC NAND)?

Speedwise (Sustained Sequential Writes) the M500 looks slower than M4:
M4 Specs: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT256M4SSD2
Form Factor 2.5"
Memory Components MLC
Sustained Sequential Read Up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
Sustained Sequential Write Up to 260 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s) >>>>>>> 250MB/s for M500 256GB
4KB Random Read Up to 45K IOPS >>>>>> 72,000 IOPS (M500)
4KB Random Write Up to 50K IOPS >>>>>> 60,000 IOPS (M500)
Width 69.85mm
Depth 100.5mm
Height 9.5mm
Weight 75g
MTBF 1,200,000 hours

Features
Integrated 8-channel single chip Controller
Self-monitoring, analysis, and reporting technology (SMART) command set
RAID Support
Average Access Time < 0.1 ms

Environmental
Power Consumption (Idle): < 65 mW
Power Consumption (Active): 0.15W
Operating Temperature: 0C ~ +70C
Storage Temperature: -40C ~ +85C
Max Shock Resistance: 1500G

IOPS numbers rarely matter for non-enterprise users.

IOPS number doesn't matter? If sequential read/write is what matters then we should all get 4 250GB spin drives and setup RAID 0. You will have faster sequential read/write and lot more space. It will be slow compared to SSDs 2 generations ago. You clearly don't know anything about SSD.

Go home and make dinner!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014