• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
3M 39045 Headlight Renewal Kit with Protectant $13.33 AR $5.00(reg$34.99)at Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GFTC0E/ref=nosim/?ascsubtag=FWbmc85...
You don't have to purchase at Amazon for Rebate!
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/33/87/94/42/338...

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Ah OK - I'm just so used to using image link codes from a third party image hosting site.

Cheers

gtd2000 (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 11:54a) |

Lol ok, cheers!

daredevil1 (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 12:28p) |

Some headlights UV protectant is just a thin layer and after using one of these products you have removed it so it come ... (more)

jjstokes (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 8:48p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was just about to order this when I decided to grab some white toothpaste and an old sock and scrub my headlights with it. Then I wiped it clean with a wet sock and WOW.
Before ordering this, seriously try toothpaste (not the green/blue gel type though, just plain white stuff).

This works perfectly. I used it on my wife's 2006 Lexus which had cloudy and yellow lenses. Afterwards they looked like new.

maccee44thegreat said:   I was just about to order this when I decided to grab some white toothpaste and an old sock and scrub my headlights with it. Then I wiped it clean with a wet sock and WOW.
Before ordering this, seriously try toothpaste (not the green/blue gel type though, just plain white stuff).

That could work since toothpaste uses silica as an abrasive to keep your teeth white. But I seriously doubt the lenses would look as good as with this kit. It is awesome and super cheap.

Get the Subscribe & Save for $15.58 and make the end price $10.58. Any of the 3M Restoration products are eligible, even the one without Protectant for $11.25 S&S, making it just $6.25. But the Protectant makes the process last longer and if you're going to put in the work to do the job right, why do it again sooner for just a few bucks more?

fwiw, this isn't a sale on the 3M stuff, this is pretty much the regular price (the $34.99 comment is BS) - the rebate is what makes it a deal and it's good until 5/31/2013.

maccee44thegreat

Thank you, toothpaste trick worked great.

MrWizzard said:   Get the Subscribe & Save for $15.58 and make the end price $10.58. Any of the 3M Restoration products are eligible, even the one without Protectant for $11.25 S&S, making it just $6.25. But the Protectant makes the process last longer and if you're going to put in the work to do the job right, why do it again sooner for just a few bucks more?

fwiw, this isn't a sale on the 3M stuff, this is pretty much the regular price (the $34.99 comment is BS) - the rebate is what makes it a deal and it's good until 5/31/2013.

Advance auto $31.99 and O'Reilly's and Pep Boys $29.99!

I have tried several different kinds of headlight renewal kits, including the one in this thread. I was trying to see what would work best to make a few extra bucks cleaning headlights.
Paying 13 bucks for something that will last maybe a few months is not what you want to do.
What you want to do is buy this stuff:

The best headlight restore kit. Period.
After a year, my headlights looks as clear as the day I bought them. I would charge 69.95 to do other people's cars, and within a couple of months I had more business than I could handle. Frankly it is a great summer job or part time gig for a kid.
So, for 8 bucks more, you save yourself the hassle of having to do it two or three times over.

Time to try a kit with a drill attachment - hopefully with better results. Thanks!

Has these gone up in price so much? 34.99 is surely a highway robbery ... I had similar ones from last year's deal here under 10, so if not in a hurry wait for price drop in late spring.

Too bad after using them and making my extra vehicle headlights nice n shiny, had to get rid of that vehicle to avil of the new found shine for too long ...

Hey guys - here's a quick "fix" that you'll have to do every few months, but it's cheap. Use PB Blaster - Liquid wrench might work, and let it soak for like 30 mins. WD-40 will likely not work, you need an antioxidant. Wipe it away and clean the lenses wish soap/water. Amonia based glass cleaners make plastic haze up - don't use it, ever, on an lcd or anything except pure glass. Anyway, PB blaster, clean it, then use some nice hard car wax in a can. Cheapy turtlewax works fine. For about $8 between the PB blaster/wax you will have the supplies for many years of clear headlights. Or at least - it worked for me! YMMV

Edit: Oh! And the glory of it - it's really freakin easy and no scouring or rubbing! (well, just waxing)

invisible said:   Has these gone up in price so much? 34.99 is surely a highway robbery ... I had similar ones from last year's deal here under 10, so if not in a hurry wait for price drop in late spring.

Too bad after using them and making my extra vehicle headlights nice n shiny, had to get rid of that vehicle to avil of the new found shine for too long ...

That's got to be one of those M.S.R.P. things - you can walk into my local auto supply store and get these for less than $20.

PV9685 said:   Hey guys - here's a quick "fix" that you'll have to do every few months, but it's cheap. Use PB Blaster - Liquid wrench might work, and let it soak for like 30 mins. WD-40 will likely not work, you need an antioxidant. Wipe it away and clean the lenses wish soap/water. Amonia based glass cleaners make plastic haze up - don't use it, ever, on an lcd or anything except pure glass. Anyway, PB blaster, clean it, then use some nice hard car wax in a can. Cheapy turtlewax works fine. For about $8 between the PB blaster/wax you will have the supplies for many years of clear headlights. Or at least - it worked for me! YMMV

Edit: Oh! And the glory of it - it's really freakin easy and no scouring or rubbing! (well, just waxing)

Whoops, been using windex on my monitors for years-haven't seen any problems yet but now I'm concerned.

WalterGuy said:   PV9685 said:   Hey guys - here's a quick "fix" that you'll have to do every few months, but it's cheap. Use PB Blaster - Liquid wrench might work, and let it soak for like 30 mins. WD-40 will likely not work, you need an antioxidant. Wipe it away and clean the lenses wish soap/water. Amonia based glass cleaners make plastic haze up - don't use it, ever, on an lcd or anything except pure glass. Anyway, PB blaster, clean it, then use some nice hard car wax in a can. Cheapy turtlewax works fine. For about $8 between the PB blaster/wax you will have the supplies for many years of clear headlights. Or at least - it worked for me! YMMV

Whoops, been using windex on my monitors for years-haven't seen any problems yet but now I'm concerned.

On old crts where it is plain glass it is great - but now even glossy lcd's and plasmas generally have a coating that is plastic/plastic-based and the ammonia creates little scratches causing a white haze over time.

This item comes with some top quality products, 3M automotive products tend to be very high quality. Parts of this kit can also be used to do a really great shop of cleaning, shining and polishing shoes, plastics, and some metals like the backs of some tablets (I recommend using caution and knowing what you are doing before you attempt this).

To the guy that used toothpaste, this can work sometimes but the main problem is you don't really know how much grit a particular toothpaste is going to have so it can be very incosistant and also there are other things in toothpaste that can cause problems. If you are going to use a "DIY" solution I usually find that Brasso is usually a good bet (once again use caution or know what you are doing), also an old T-shirt would be much better than a sock as a sock is sure to have a lot of lint. This kit is also not just the paste but applicators and other tools.

jmace57 said:   invisible said:   Has these gone up in price so much? 34.99 is surely a highway robbery ... I had similar ones from last year's deal here under 10, so if not in a hurry wait for price drop in late spring.

That's got to be one of those M.S.R.P. things - you can walk into my local auto supply store and get these for less than $20.

There's 3 models,This one here is the best of the 3! If you want the cheaper one without all the extra's here it is and the rebate works on this one too!
http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B...

In for 2, I've been looking at ordering these. Even if I only get one rebate. Thanks!

BEFORE your lights get that cloudy, simply pickup a bottle of Meguire's Gold Class liquid wax and use that every couple of months when you wax your car. Polishes those lights nicely and keeps your car glossy, showroom waxed.

The headlight kits are great only if you've got totally clouded lights, but really are overkill otherwise.

And BLAME those STUPID car designers for creating yet another short-lived part by replacing perfectly fine, never clouding GLASS headlamps with plastic >.<

I used a pan/pot scrubber - you know those green things with some metal polish then buffed up with a cloth and metal polish on our Nissan 240SX in Florida;

Before:
Before

After:
After

p.s. how do you insert photos on FW?

gtd2000 said:   

Really?

Before
Disclaimer

After
Disclaimer
gtd2000 said:   

Really? 1600 posts and you've never seen the "I want to attach files to this message after posting." box right below your comment box?

daredevil1 said:   gtd2000 said:   

Really? 1600 posts and you've never seen the "I want to attach files to this message after posting." box right below your comment box?

Ah OK - I'm just so used to using image link codes from a third party image hosting site.

Cheers

Lol ok, cheers!

Some headlights UV protectant is just a thin layer and after using one of these products you have removed it so it come back even faster if you don't put anything on it to help it.

I use toothpaste and Meguiar's Headlight Protectant. Way cheaper than these kits.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014