• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Hitachi GST Microdrive 5GB ATA33 (refurb)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
THE COMMENTS ARE WORTH MORE THAN THE DRIVE

fateye (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 6:24p) |

Could, but as someone who just dropped a $30 32 GB CF card in his 2nd gen Mini (along with a new battery - they still us... (more)

ChefJoe (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 7:36p) |

I have of one these in my Dell Axim X51v PDA along with a 4GB card in the SD slot. It does affect battery life since it... (more)

cve3 (Mar. 09, 2013 @ 7:39p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The drive does not worth the rebate stamp if you do not have the proper interface... and that interface could be a challenge.

Darn if it didn't have that funky interface connector it would be a good replacement for a few old laptops. I've got one with a 3.9GB original ATA/33 that is failing.

Great comments (supposedly reviews) on this one. Although it is interesting that they were selling this for $3 and $4 before they put it on rebate!

billrubin said:   Great comments on this one. Although it is interesting that they were selling this for $3 and $4 before they put it on rebate!

Probably not with free shipping though.

edavid said:   billrubin said:   Great comments on this one. Although it is interesting that they were selling this for $3 and $4 before they put it on rebate!
With Shoprunner, it's always free.

I was gunnna list it @ 6am Squinky but I refrained since you're on a roll with the Smithsonian FAR stuff !

Back in the day, Microdrives were a good alternative to CF (compact flash) cards for DSLR cameras, because they fit in the same (type II) CF slot. In 2001, a 1GB CF card was much more expensive than a 1GB Microdrive, so I bought a couple of them and used them reliably for years. Nowadays I can't think what I'd use a 5GB Microdrive for though, as I'm using 32GB CF cards in my current DSLR. Microdrives might appeal to people who have old stuff that have these designed in and would like replacement parts hanging around.

10 year old tech is only good for replacing/repairing 10 year old tech. Very handy to have if you need but useless to 99% of people here.

This item is not needed. Do not buy unless you know what it is for.

Cheap way to get top notch mini ball bearings.

Build-your-own ancient computer week at Newegg??

crhptic said:   Build-your-own ancient computer week at Newegg??

Due to sequestering cuts all public computer museums have closed down and are liquidating their antiquities...

I remember buying Creative Labs Muvo2s to crack open to cannibalize their 4gb microdrives. Lost a couple due to dropping them but they were great at the time.

mmmm this will be nice upgrade for my canon 2mpix camera with 256mb CF

Now all I need is a time machine, I can zap back to 1999 and sell this for hundreds!

how does it compare to Samsung 840 PRO ?

BigWhy said:   how does it compare to Samsung 840 PRO ?

When this came out, it was far faster than any Samsung SSD was at the time although I think BiTMICRO's was faster...

BigWhy said:   how does it compare to Samsung 840 PRO ?

Cost wise...this wins.

crhptic said:   Build-your-own ancient computer week at Newegg??
I remember the 1.2GHz celeron, also FAR.
Time to DIY a NEW computer.

What's next, an AT motherboard & case barebones ?

SithMaster said:   What's next, an AT motherboard & case barebones ?

Actually no. In back of the Newegg warehouse, they still have boxes of SIMMs, Math co-processors, ISA sound cards, and 14.4kbps speakerphone modems made by US Robotics.

I remember buying a Creative Muvo with 4GB microdrive, tearing it open, selling it for $200, and putting in a 512MB CF or something instead..... good memories.
That was in May 2004.

who is US Robotics

US Robotics ... oh man, any deals?

I actually bought one of these with the intent of upgrading the storage capacity of a BenQ S6 - needless to say it didn't work because although the BenQ isn't proprietary, this hard disk is, and there are no adapters available.

Windows 8 compatible?

This is not compatible with compact flash type ii. I had an old IBM microdrive from 2001 that I believe was 340mb that was compatible with compact flash, but this has a proprietary apple connection.
ahallfatwallett said:   Back in the day, Microdrives were a good alternative to CF (compact flash) cards for DSLR cameras, because they fit in the same (type II) CF slot. In 2001, a 1GB CF card was much more expensive than a 1GB Microdrive, so I bought a couple of them and used them reliably for years. Nowadays I can't think what I'd use a 5GB Microdrive for though, as I'm using 32GB CF cards in my current DSLR. Microdrives might appeal to people who have old stuff that have these designed in and would like replacement parts hanging around.

speedbird71 said:   Maybe if you need to fix an old iPod Mini: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPod+Mini+Hard+Drive/412/...

funny you mention that, back in the day, these drives were over $500, and you couldn't find them, people would buy the ipod mini for like $450, crack it open only to harvest the micro-drive and put it on eBay for a $50 or so profit

billrubin said:   edavid said:   billrubin said:   Great comments on this one. Although it is interesting that they were selling this for $3 and $4 before they put it on rebate!
With Shoprunner, it's always free.

Too bad Shoprunner cancelled my account last year because I placed too many Newegg orders in a short period of time. With all the FAR stuff from Newegg lately, be careful not to overuse Shoprunner.

roy7736 said:   

Too bad Shoprunner cancelled my account last year because I placed too many Newegg orders in a short period of time. With all the FAR stuff from Newegg lately, be careful not to overuse Shoprunner.

I highly doubt that was the reason. I've done many, many orders via Shoprunner (Newegg, TRU, drugstore.com, etc)...and never an issue.

They probably just caught onto your multiple accounts..

THE COMMENTS ARE WORTH MORE THAN THE DRIVE

I forgot about US robotics
and I own an IBM pc from 1984 !

speedbird71 said:   Maybe if you need to fix an old iPod Mini: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPod+Mini+Hard+Drive/412/...

Could, but as someone who just dropped a $30 32 GB CF card in his 2nd gen Mini (along with a new battery - they still used easy to disconnect plugs back then) there are better ways to upgrade your mini that don't leave its capacity absurdly low. I like the looks people give when I use my "retro" mp3 player.

Lol, thanks to poster below for reminding me of the dot-com bubble. Flooz and Whoopi goldberg commercials.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flooz.com
Users accumulated flooz credits either as a promotional bonus given away by some internet businesses or purchased directly from flooz.com which then could be redeemed for merchandise at a variety of participating online stores. In 2001, Flooz.com was notified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that a Russian organized crime syndicate was using Flooz and stolen credit card numbers as part of a money-laundering scheme, in which stolen credit cards were used to purchase currency and then redeemed. Levitan has stated that fraudulent purchases accounted for 19% of (Flooz's?) consumer credit card transactions by mid-2001. The company announced its closure on August 26, 2001, perceived as an early indicator of the growing dot-com bust. Upon the company's closing, all unused flooz credits became worthless and nonrefundable. Over its short history, flooz.com reportedly exhausted from $35 to $50 million in venture capital.

I have of one these in my Dell Axim X51v PDA along with a 4GB card in the SD slot. It does affect battery life since it's not solid state, but you can fit a lot of Napster MP3s on it. I paid $400 for mine, but I was able to use $200 in flooz so it was only $200 out of pocket.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.