• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I went to WSJ today and a special offer popped up- subscribe for three months ($22), get a $50 Amazon gift card- today only. No-brainer. I don't know how targeted this is, I have been navigating directly to WSJ.com and dodging their paywall for the last few days. I saw no confirmation of the gift card during registration, but hopefully I will get that shortly.

Wall Street Journal
See Wall Street Journal discounts that earn Up to $20.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

WSJ (186.52kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer

Plan Details (98.98kB)
Thanks iamwildbill
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
They screwed me over, told me I didn't qualify for some reason and then offered a 2 month subscription extension. Bunch ... (more)

bclninja (Jun. 03, 2013 @ 6:55p) |

I just called 800-975-3913 and was told that the promo was for Amazon gc after three months of subscription (so the gc w... (more)

kirbydog (Jun. 12, 2013 @ 12:16p) |

I subscribed on the first day and was just told that the gift card is only upon paid subscription for the 4th month. Thi... (more)

ISGall (Jun. 24, 2013 @ 5:37p) |

Quoteth from SD:

"spoke to 3 csr, 2 said 6-8 weeks, 1 said 150 days. i asked them to confirm with proper dept and they all came back and confirmed need to be a subscriber for 150 days and get Amazon gc via email in 150-180 days."

UPDATE 3/9/13
Emails have been received stating that the gift card will be sent out in 45 days from purchase.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I went to WSJ.com for the first time and the offer popped up at the bottom of the screen. Thanks OP!

Not sure why FW converts "W S J" to WSJI, but the link is W S J . COM

Seems like a great deal.
I am guessing you can opt-out any time?

alanmax said:   Seems like a great deal.

No explicit detail on cancellation policy ... see that anywhere ? Great deal OP !

I am assuming the options to cancel etc details will appear under the account with instructions ?

Popped up for me as well. No info about cancellation terms.

If prior experience holds true, you have to call to cancel.

From their Subscriber Agreement page:

You may cancel your subscription by calling Customer Service at (800) 975-3913. We do not accept cancellations by mail or email or by any other means other than calling Customer Service.

I called and spoke to two diff. offshore reps., not very clear on anything and they could not transfer me to a US based rep.
It seems you can cancel at any time and should get back soem of your $21.99 if within the first month although I don't know how that bwould work with the Amazon GC. They had no clue as to when you rec. GC and that there was even an Amazon GC.

invisible said:   alanmax said:   Seems like a great deal.

No explicit detail on cancellation policy ... see that anywhere ? Great deal OP !

I am assuming the options to cancel etc details will appear under the account with instructions ?

WSJ said: 4. Cancellation and Renewal. Your subscription will renew automatically, unless it is cancelled in accordance with this Section. For annual subscriptions, we will notify you of the pending renewal of your subscription at least 30 days prior to the date your subscription renews, except as otherwise required by law. For all subscriptions, you must cancel your subscription before it renews in order to avoid billing of subscription fees for the renewal term to your credit card. We may cancel your subscription at any time by notifying you. You may cancel your subscription by calling Customer Service at (800) 975-3913. We do not accept cancellations by mail or email or by any other means other than calling Customer Service.

Also, I'm in. I'm would guess/hope that the Amazon GC will be within the 3 months; plenty of time to cancel.

Im in, thanks

This appears to be only the digital version (i.e., a password to go behind the WSJl's paywall), not the print version, right?

We've been wanting to subscribe recently, but we need the print version. (If you must know: living in the city with a puppy requires a lot of bags. Newspaper bags work really, really well for that job as long as the delivery guy doesn't throw the paper too hard and mess up the bag.)

Great find. I used a temp CC number so even if I forget to cancel, they can't charge me anyways.

shaggymutt said:    (If you must know: living in the city with a puppy requires a lot of bags. Newspaper bags work really, really well for that job as long as the delivery guy doesn't throw the paper too hard and mess up the bag.)
-It seems that it's much better deal to simply order some for less than 4c/bag I doubt you'll ever get any subscription to go this low.

Just waiting now for the $50 Amazon.com GC.
Will post any updates.

I called customer service. They said the Amazon gift card would be emailed within 7-10 business days.

For me, this goes to a page saying 'We're sorry, we cannot process your order.' Original link not working at all.

What's the chance we get left "high and dry" with a subscription and no gift card, should they get bombarded?

edited: accidental dupe post.

Another way to look at this deal is that it's a great way to get $50 Amazon gift cards for less than 1/2 the price! Plus, you get 3 months of the digital WSJl.

I'm sure many remember last december's Amazon kindle gift cards/toys r us $10 for $5 dealio. This seems to be a whole better and easier.

BoxingJ said:   edited: accidental dupe post.

I will dispute the charge faster than you can say WSJ!

alanmax said:   BoxingJ said:   edited: accidental dupe post.

I will dispute the charge faster than you can say WSJ!

Is it dead? Saw the offer, reloaded by accident and it is gone..

berkeleyman said:   shaggymutt said:    (If you must know: living in the city with a puppy requires a lot of bags. Newspaper bags work really, really well for that job as long as the delivery guy doesn't throw the paper too hard and mess up the bag.)
-It seems that it's much better deal to simply order some for less than 4c/bag I doubt you'll ever get any subscription to go this low.

It won't go that low, true, but through the US Airways mileage deal I can get 228 issues for $54. True, that's more like 20 cents a bag, but then each bag comes with a copy of the print WSJ to read while I have breakfast.

BTW I looked again at the deal and it's definitely the digital one. For those of you who prefer to read it on your iPad, hey, why not?

Clear cookies? New browser?

4. Cancellation and Renewal. Your subscription will renew automatically, unless it is cancelled in accordance with this Section. For annual subscriptions, we will notify you of the pending renewal of your subscription at least 30 days prior to the date your subscription renews, except as otherwise required by law. For all subscriptions, you must cancel your subscription before it renews in order to avoid billing of subscription fees for the renewal term to your credit card. We may cancel your subscription at any time by notifying you. You may cancel your subscription by calling Customer Service at (800) 975-3913. We do not accept cancellations by mail or email or by any other means other than calling Customer Service.

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/subscriber_agreement.html

BoxingJ said:   What's the chance we get left "high and dry" with a subscription and no gift card, should they get bombarded?

They would have a major class action lawsuit on their hands. My brother-in-law is an attorney and will sue.

what about FW Cash Back? still get $20?

I checked it out. If you get the $20 CashBack you don't get the $50 Amazon Card. Let's not be greedy, folks.

You win some, you lose some.

BoxingJ said:   What's the chance we get left "high and dry" with a subscription and no gift card, should they get bombarded?

MitchFlorida said:   

They would have a major class action lawsuit on their hands. My brother-in-law is an attorney and will sue.

I jumped on deal. Thanks OP. Even though I have access to the paper version, its nice to be able to access it on my phone, plus I look at it as more than half off Amazon GC

EDIT: NM, figured out that office let its digital subscription expire. So this is a even better deal

Also, just noticed on a another computer, if you type in wall street journal in google and go to the first advertised link, you get offer for $25.99 for digital+paper for 3 months (no Amazon GC though)

chriswish said:   I called customer service. They said the Amazon gift card would be emailed within 7-10 business days.

So did I. They said that the account has to be active for 30 days, and then they will send a card, which may take up to 6-8 weeks. I surely hope that your CSR was right, not mine

Our apologies for the broken auto link. It's been fixed, and I've edited the borked links in the thread.

kkozm said:   chriswish said:   I called customer service. They said the Amazon gift card would be emailed within 7-10 business days.

So did I. They said that the account has to be active for 30 days, and then they will send a card, which may take up to 6-8 weeks. I surely hope that your CSR was right, not mine

Ehhh... that's not a very comforting schedule. When exactly does the renewal charge happen?

MitchFlorida said:   I checked it out. If you get the $20 CashBack you don't get the $50 Amazon Card. Let's not be greedy, folks.

I assumed if you went via FW link and then somehow $50 popup showed up that you used, then you could get both .. anyway I did not use FW CB link

I hope so too

But now I know if I don't receive it in the shorter timeframe, I don't have to worry about getting upset until after the 30 days. At least your CSR still says they mail it before the trial period expires!

kkozm said:   chriswish said:   I called customer service. They said the Amazon gift card would be emailed within 7-10 business days.

I hope so too

But now I know if I don't receive it in the shorter timeframe, I don't have to worry about getting upset until after the 30 days. At least your CSR still says they mail it before the trial period expires!

If its true, there might be a chance one has to pay an extra month of $21.99 before getting GC?

Maybe we need a 3rd call to CS, which will undoubtedly give us a third possible timeline?

MitchFlorida said:   BoxingJ said:   What's the chance we get left "high and dry" with a subscription and no gift card, should they get bombarded?

My brother-in-law can beat up your brother-in-law.

That's what you sound like.

Skipping 221 Messages...
I subscribed on the first day and was just told that the gift card is only upon paid subscription for the 4th month. This is the third different story I've been told. No offer to honor the promotion.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014