• Text Only
The offer I signed up for doesn't say any of that! Again, read it again: "Three months for the price of one, plus a $50 Amazon.com gift card"

chombiekay said:   chombiekay said:   guys. i just chatted with them and got this:

Me: Hi. I just bought a subscription to WSJ and there a promotion for a free $50 Amazon giftcard. When do I receive it? Do I need to be a customer while it's being sent? There was no stipulation on the terms and conditions of the offer. Thanks!
Eileen: Hi,Thank you for contacting Dow Jones.
Me: Hi Thanks!
Eileen: The $50 Amazon gift card is a code that is emailed to you.
The card is processed after your 90 day trial period it normally takes 6 to 8 weeks after processing for the email to arrive.
Me: Thanks. So I don't need to be a customer after the trial period?
Me: to receive the gift card.
Eileen: You need to have an active account to get the gift card.

additional:

Eileen: The account auto renews on a monthly $21.99 after the trial period.
Eileen: You have to have an active account after the 3 month free period to get the gift card. The account must be active for 6 months.

That's okay. If that's true, I will just get a chargeback on my credit card. I put a temporary credit card number on the account, they can't bill me again if they wanted to.

Thanks OP! It'll feel good to be costing WSJ some money Plus I get heavily discounted Amazon credit

zhoujian said:   aarzi said:   reset2k said:   I usually don't like doing these, but a 56% gain on your money is fantastic! Count me in Math fail.

gym teacher tought me math.

Those who canít do, teach. And those who canít teach, teach gym.

The terms on the offer do not say anything about remaining an account holder after the 3 months.

I will gladly be the class representative if they choose not to fulfill the offer for those of us who cancel after 3 months.

In for 1, thank you OP!

first off, thank you OP for finding this.

unfortunately i just called in as well (to cancel actually since i didn't trust the vagueness of this deal).

i reached a state side representative who immediately asked if i was calling in reference to the Amazon gift card deal. i said yes and she told me that we must stay an active customer for 120 days.

i think that pretty much seals it for me. their reps must have just been given a memo regarding it.

I am going to cancel my order too.

If anybody needs the number for WSJ - 1-800-Journal (568-7625).

Rep said she could not find my order (I guess it is to new). She told me to call back tomorrow.

jump in before reading the comments.
What to do?

My rep said I would have to cancel after the 90 days to get the card. In other words they will bill you for a fourth month and send you the gift card.

BostonOne said:   The terms on the offer do not say anything about remaining an account holder after the 3 months.

I will gladly be the class representative if they choose not to fulfill the offer for those of us who cancel after 3 months.

Thank you! -I have a lot of bark, but little bite! It would just be too easy for them to spell out the terms in the offers fine print!

would be nice if they put that in the initial agreement fine print.

I can see me demanding a refund or, at the least, disputing the card citing breach of contract.

as of right now, the offer as posted here: https://buy.wsj.com/shopandbuy/order/subscribe.jsp?trackCode=aap...

says NOTHING of any 6-month requirement

I just called customer service and initially the rep said she thought we only had to stay active for 30 days. She then went to speak to a supervisor who confirmed that it's 150 days. Too good to be true - hence why I normally don't do these deals... Oh well. Thanks anyway Op.

Not worth it. Rather get the print version for free & be done w/ it.

Like the others are saying, a manager confirmed the 180+ day wait for the gift card. It's not worth the trouble. I easily cancelled my order with an English representative. They confirmed there would be no charges.

It sounds like they got overwhelmed with responses and decided to change the "terms of service" to mitigate the damages. Poor form WSJ.

Told them to get bent and that Ill be filing a chargeback if they don't update the terms of the offer page to reflect the 180 day wait, and that if they do change it, to cancel my order, or Ill file a chargeback anyway.

jd2010 said:   Told them to get bent and that Ill be filing a chargeback if they don't update the terms of the offer page to reflect the 180 day wait, and that if they do change it, to cancel my order, or Ill file a chargeback anyway.

Yup. But I am not cancelling yet, instead telling them to send me $50 GC first (spent so much effort or point me to a clause that restricts me to any wait on GC or the commitment to subscribe any more for the GC offer. I do nto buy any supervisor BS on 150 days or anything else for that matter.

After 6 weeks if I do not see the card I am informing them now itself on impending Charge back with AMEX showing them the sign up offer terms.

I do not care what new terms they insert. I have copies of what I signed up for and what is due per the offer. Nothing less nothing more.

Called to cancel and was told that my order is "being processed" so there's nothing they can do until the charge goes through.

Maybe I'll just wait it out a while and fight them later if nothing is sent.

DropDeadDeal said:   Like the others are saying, a manager confirmed the 180+ day wait for the gift card. It's not worth the trouble. I easily cancelled my order with an English representative. They confirmed there would be no charges.

I don't mind waiting 150 days for the card as long as I only have to pay for 90 days of service.

and AMEX will push that chargeback thru without hesitation even if it means they eat the charge as a customer service gesture. AMEX does not play around.

the fact is. they cannot change the spelled out terms after the fact.. regardless of what a supervisor says. They have made a legal contract. my guess is they are just telling that to people who call and ask if they still get the gift card to discourage them as its obvious those people calling have no intention of keeping the subscription. the WSJ is not going to tarnish its reputation over scamming people out of a few bucks on a one day promotion.

the offer is clear and the fine print is clear.

just talked to chat this is what they said. i think maybe i will try to get refund

You are now chatting with JOY
david: 50 dollar Amazon gift card
david: hi there
JOY: Hi, David.
JOY: How may I help you today?
david: hi i jiust signed up for the month online promo and 50 dollar Amazon gift card. can you tell me ho lon g it takes for gift card and verify it went thru? thank you
JOY: You need to be a subscriber for 150 days prior to being eligible for the card and the card will be delivered between 150-180 days after the subscription.
david: i only have a 3 month supscription
david: there was no fine print saying that i had to subscribe for 150 days
JOY: Since you have subscribed to the digital edition, your account will be enrolled on automatic renewal.
david: im not interested in that at this times
david: time
JOY: I'm sorry to hear that.
JOY: You may call us at 1-800-JOURNAL for further assistance.
david: yes i think im not interested if im not getting gift card
david: like to cancel
JOY: Since you have just ordered earlier, we cannot pull up your account yet. Anyway, we're sorry to hear of your decision to cancel your subscription. For security reasons, your digital subscription cannot be canceled by email or online. Please call 1-800-975-3913 to cancel your account by phone. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 am - 8 pm ET. If you are calling from outside the U.S., please dial 413-598-2888.
david: thank
JOY: You're welcome. Is there anything else I may assist you with?
david: i guess not,

i hate this crap

If you used a Virtual Account Number (always a good idea with these must-remember-to-cancel situations), backing out now is easy: just close the number. I suspect WSJ is heavily backlogged with orders to process and you likely haven't been charged yet.

I'm going to wait a few days for the dust to settle on this one before canceling, but sounds like they got more than they bargained for on the offer and of course are trying to do some damage control....

This is bait and switch. I used a virtual card, maybe will just cancel the subscription.

Frankly the offer was too good to be true.

Now it sounds like they want you to pay $84 (six months) to get $50 gift card.

Just created a FW account to post this chatlog from about five minutes ago:

You are now chatting with JULIE
Me: Three-month subscription and Amazon.com gift card.
Me: Hi, I've been hearing conflicting things about the stipulations on getting the $50 Amazon.com gift card with the three-month subscription promotion. Can you explain the terms?
JULIE: Hi, [Me]
Me: Hi, Julie. I've been hearing conflicting things about the stipulations on getting the $50 Amazon.com gift card with the three-month subscription promotion. Can you explain the terms?
JULIE: For security purpose, [security question]?
Me: [security answer]
JULIE: Your billing address?
Me: [billing address]
JULIE: Thank you for that information, May i know what are the conflicting things about the stipulations on getting $50 Amazon gift card?
Me: Well, I'd like to hear what is required of me to receive the $50 gift card. I've created my account and activated my three-month subscription, so that means I am now eligible for the gift card, correct?
JULIE: Yes, [Me] you are now eligible to get a $50 Amazon gift card
JULIE: It will take 6-8 weeks to receive your Amazon gift card by email.
Me: OK, great! I heard various reports of people being required to keep their accounts open for longer than the three months to qualify. If I like the WSJ digital subscription, I'll probably keep it open after that time, but I will not keep it open if I'm required to.
Me: OK, that makes perfect sense. Thank you for your help!
JULIE: Your welcome, Is there anything else I may assist you with?
Me: No, that's everything. Thank you!

And now, I wait.

Julie probably meant, it will take 6-8 weeks for your Amazon GC to arrive AFTER 150-180 days.

just was told by different WSJ chat person need to have 6 months subscription first ha .this seems not legal

ComputeThis said:   Julie probably meant, it will take 6-8 weeks for your Amazon GC to arrive AFTER 150-180 days.

I hope that isn't the case, considering this line:

JULIE: Yes, [Me] you are now eligible to get a $50 Amazon gift card

If it seriously comes down to semantics, I'll do a chargeback and vow to never subscribe to them again.

atting with MELBIE
david: hi
MELBIE: Hi, David. How may I help you?
david: I've been hearing conflicting things about the stipulations on getting the $50 Amazon.com gift card with the three-month subscription promotion. Can you explain the terms?thanks
MELBIE: I apologize for any confusion. Amazon Gift cards are fulfilled electronically in several weeks after the initial free period ends, in approximately 150-180 days after you purchased, eligible for new subscribers only.
david: ok so i signed up for 3 months.thats all i have to do?
MELBIE: Yes.
david: dont have to sign up any longer? not sure if i will want to yet but want to make sure i get gift card
MELBIE: You can only avail the Gift card 150-180 days after you purchased the subscription.
david: ha ok now im confused again
MELBIE: Qualifier avail of the gift card is to be a subscriber for approximately 6 months.
david: you said just sign up for 3 months then you said 150 days.
david: 6 months?
david: there is no fine print that stated that
MELBIE: Yes. David.
david: this is false sdvertising
MELBIE: I apologize for any inconvenience. You need to be a subscriber for 150 days to being eligible for the card and it will be delivered between 150-180 days after you purchased.
david: ok i need a refund. seems fishy this deal
david: i will be contactin the better business bureau
david: i need a refund please.
david: not your fault just whoever is not listing any fine print
MELBIE: I'm sorry to hear that. For security reasons, your subscription cannot be canceled online. Please call 1-800-975-3913 to cancel your account by phone.
david: ok just need refund for sure. this is bad business practice
MELBIE: We truly value the opinions of our subscribers and appreciates the time you have taken to express your feelings. I have also taken the liberty of forwarding your comments to upper
david: your very kind
david: just need to make sure im refunded
MELBIE: Please call us to refund your money back. Again, my apologies. Anything else I may assist you with?
david: no thanks

not worth the risk to do this deal

Thank goodness for virtual credit card numbers. BofA and Citi have them , I don't think Chase does.

I just canceled the order . I don't have time to call these jokers.

They want you to subscribe for 6 months or $88 to get $50.

MitchFlorida said:   Thank goodness for virtual credit card numbers. BofA and Citi have them , I don't think Chase does.

I just canceled the order . I don't have time to call these jokers.

They want you to subscribe for 6 months or $88 to get $50.

Discover has virtual card numbers as well.

I'm going to ride it out and will charge back if I need to. Not going to cancel too early and potentially miss out.

Let's be honest, there's very little risk to the deal. Worst case scenario you dispute the charge, and you will almost certainly win. Just keep a print out of the offer page. State you signed up because you thought you were going to get a $50 GC, and you haven't, they haven't held up their end of the agreement and you won't pay. But I agree, they certainly are not handling this very well.

hpmax said:   Let's be honest, there's very little risk to the deal. Worst case scenario you dispute the charge, and you will almost certainly win. Just keep a print out of the offer page. State you signed up because you thought you were going to get a $50 GC, and you haven't, they haven't held up their end of the agreement and you won't pay. But I agree, they certainly are not handling this very well.

Even though I know I would win the creditcard dispute, it's too much work for very little gain.

I guess this is what happens when Rupert Murdoch gets his hands on things...

Which one is easier, chargeback or call to cancel?

ComputeThis said:   hpmax said:   Let's be honest, there's very little risk to the deal. Worst case scenario you dispute the charge, and you will almost certainly win. Just keep a print out of the offer page. State you signed up because you thought you were going to get a $50 GC, and you haven't, they haven't held up their end of the agreement and you won't pay. But I agree, they certainly are not handling this very well.

Even though I know I would win the creditcard dispute, it's too much work for very little gain.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014