• Text Only
excite said:   Which one is easier, chargeback or call to cancel?

ComputeThis said:   hpmax said:   Let's be honest, there's very little risk to the deal. Worst case scenario you dispute the charge, and you will almost certainly win. Just keep a print out of the offer page. State you signed up because you thought you were going to get a $50 GC, and you haven't, they haven't held up their end of the agreement and you won't pay. But I agree, they certainly are not handling this very well.

Even though I know I would win the creditcard dispute, it's too much work for very little gain.

Oh, you'll still have to call to cancel before doing the dispute. Personally, I'm going to give it a week or two and let the dust settle and see what actually happens and if the story changes at all. In fact, I think its unlikely they won't give you your money back. My point was that disputing the charge was the ultimate backstop and that the chances that you are going to lose the $22 (or even spend a huge amount of time fighting it) are pretty low.

Great deal OP, thanks!

trautpa said:   Great deal OP, thanks!

Not so great if WSJ screws us over, which is sounding more and more probable.

trautpa said:   Great deal OP, thanks!

Someone didn't read the comments.

ha

aint the OP's fault. its a great deal assuming a reputable news orginization honors their binding legal contracts. which in the end.. of course they are going to do.

Thanks, and great post and deal.

The details of the deal seem to be understandable. Sometimes calling in can clarify. Sometimes calling in only muddies the waters as you eventually run in to inexperienced reps and supervisors that give incorrect answers.

You have plenty of time to consider chargebacks, etc.

As for me, I will just wait to see how it plays out. No cause for concern yet.

I'd do it but they might catch on that I'm been getting this corporatocracy rag free already.

Not bad,Seems like a great deal.

hpmax said:   Let's be honest, there's very little risk to the deal. Worst case scenario you dispute the charge, and you will almost certainly win. Just keep a print out of the offer page. State you signed up because you thought you were going to get a $50 GC, and you haven't, they haven't held up their end of the agreement and you won't pay. But I agree, they certainly are not handling this very well.

Did anyone grab a screenshot of the offer and terms & conditions?

Actually, found one here:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/4/2013/03/m92521013_wsjoffer_94...

shaggymutt said:   This appears to be only the digital version (i.e., a password to go behind the WSJl's paywall), not the print version, right?

We've been wanting to subscribe recently, but we need the print version. (If you must know: living in the city with a puppy requires a lot of bags. Newspaper bags work really, really well for that job as long as the delivery guy doesn't throw the paper too hard and mess up the bag.)

You can get the WSJ print version for FREE all day long at rewardsgold. They literally have free subs up every week or two.

yes

there was an unconfirmed deal that people weren't able to exploit?!

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

I kept a printout. No biggie. If I don't get the card I file a chargeback. Can't change terms. Bait and Switch is not allowed...

I see absolutely nothing on that screenshot terms and conditions that gives you a leg to stand on for a chargeback. You sign up, you get a $50 Amzn gift card.

When you receive it is up to the WSJ. If the screenshot said "subscriber will be mailed gift card immediately after signing up" then you would have a valid chargeback. Sorry, but it doesn't and nobody has a valid case for a chargeback.

The WSJ isn't just going to let people sign up at $22, immediately cancel and profit $28. I'm all for a good deal, but don't get angry and threaten chargebacks just because you got caught trying to profit from a massive company that's wise to this.

This seems pretty air tight to me. If you do give me red, please explain how I'm wrong. It would be appreciated.

I called up this morning and the rep said I should get the gift card in 6 weeks from now and that I can cancel after the 3 month period.

Regarding a chargeback, if I don't get the gift card by May 10, I request a charge-back from my bank. Case closed.

I think you have valid points. I believe that the terms of this "deal" are not well defined, that it could go either way after a dispute has been filed. Nothing in the terms indicates when the GC will be received, nothing about the 150-180 days. If I were the creditcard company I would vote for the consumer just because of the ildefined terms, but I am not the CC company.

MitchFlorida said:   I called up this morning and the rep said I should get the card in 6 weeks from now and that I can cancel after the 3 month period.

Regarding a chargeback, if I don't get the gift card by May 10, I request a charge-back from my bank. Case closed.

Wow, I think they are making up the rules as they go along. They probably got too much backlash yesterday.

ComputeThis said:   I think you have valid points. I believe that the terms of this "deal" are not well defined, that it could go either way after a dispute has been filed. Nothing in the terms indicates when the GC will be received, nothing about the 150-180 days. If I were the creditcard company I would vote for the consumer just because of the ildefined terms, but I am not the CC company.

The offer never states how long it takes to receive the giftcard so the reasonableness standard would apply. A reasonable person would not expect that it would take 90+ days to get a gift card as promised. I'm waiting until my credit card bill arrives, then I will file a dispute accompanied by the printout I made of the terms, provided I don't receive the card by then. I have no doubt I will get the charge credited back to my account. In the mean time I will take advantage of having the online edition for several weeks free.

I no longer see this. I get the 3 months for price of 1, but no gift card offer. Dead or a browser issue?

I spoke to kind rep this morning who said there is an internal e-mail about this and 150 day subscription is the requirement for the GC; I cancelled and they are refunding in full

KKDowing said:   I spoke to kind rep this morning who said there is an internal e-mail about this and 150 day subscription is the requirement for the GC; I cancelled and they are refunding in full

I just called. They confirmed gift certificates will arrive prior to free trial ending. Estimated at 45 days. He did say the promo has been very popular.

I'm happy for now.

Based on the original ad, and the statement you got from the CSR (I got the same answer), the offer is airtight. By the way, if it goes to chargeback stage, the WSJ has to pay a chargeback fee of at least $25. Do keep a copy of the original offer so you can submit that if you have to.

coolbreeze said:   I see absolutely nothing on that screenshot terms and conditions that gives you a leg to stand on for a chargeback. You sign up, you get a $50 Amzn gift card.

When you receive it is up to the WSJ. If the screenshot said "subscriber will be mailed gift card immediately after signing up" then you would have a valid chargeback. Sorry, but it doesn't and nobody has a valid case for a chargeback.

The WSJ isn't just going to let people sign up at $22, immediately cancel and profit $28. I'm all for a good deal, but don't get angry and threaten chargebacks just because you got caught trying to profit from a massive company that's wise to this.

This seems pretty air tight to me. If you do give me red, please explain how I'm wrong. It would be appreciated.

Im not sure how you come to that conclusion.. one could then say you only get the gift card after 20 years of service, or 50.

just because a time frame is not defined. but it IS defined. it says clearly three months for the price of one and a $50 gift card. with nothing in the terms to state to the contrary or any extended timeframe you must remain a member. Its binding. In fact one could make the argument that you could cancel the day after paying for the three months as you have completed your actions of the contract by paying and if they require immediate cancellation rather then turning off rebills, thats thier problem. NOTHING says must be a customer for X amount of months. WSJ is not going to commit widescale fraud and any bank worth its salt would say this falls under chargebackable offense. I guaruntee AMEX would without hesitation. This will cost them more in chargeback fees if they don;t honor the terms.

getting more then is paid more then the transaction in is common in affiliate marketing.. heck in the adult industry affiliates get up to $100 per subscriber for getting someone to sign up for a free trial with a recurring component (even if they cancel without ever paying) with the assumption most will forget to cancel and they will make more money in the long run on those who do. this is the same, except they are basically paying you as the affiliate. this is the way recurring billing works. getting your card number is the important part..most people will then forget about it and stay till thier card expires more then paying for bonus's paid to the ones who leave on time and jumped through the manufactured hoops like only cancelling by phone or having all cancellation effective immeadiatly. the hope is its so much of an inconvienince you put off canceling until its too late...then you don't want to cancel now because you dont want to lose the days in the next term. rinse / repeat.

Carigis said:   coolbreeze said:   I see absolutely nothing on that screenshot terms and conditions that gives you a leg to stand on for a chargeback. You sign up, you get a $50 Amzn gift card.

Im not sure how you come to that conclusion.. one could then say you only get the gift card after 20 years of service, or 50.

just because a time frame is not defined. but it IS defined. it says clearly three months for the price of one and a $50 gift card. with nothing in the terms to state to the contrary or any extended timeframe you must remain a member. Its binding. In fact one could make the argument that you could cancel the day after paying for the three months as you have completed your actions of the contract by paying and if they require immediate cancellation rather then turning off rebills, thats thier problem. NOTHING says must be a customer for X amount of months. WSJ is not going to commit widescale fraud and any bank worth its salt would say this falls under chargebackable offense. I guaruntee AMEX would without hesitation. This will cost them more in chargeback fees if they don;t honor the terms.

getting more then is paid more then the transaction in is common in affiliate marketing.. heck in the adult industry affiliates get up to $100 per subscriber for getting someone to sign up for a free trial with a recurring component (even if they cancel without ever paying) with the assumption most will forget to cancel and they will make more money in the long run on those who do. this is the same, except they are basically paying you as the affiliate. this is the way recurring billing works. getting your card number is the important part..most people will then forget about it and stay till thier card expires more then paying for bonus's paid to the ones who leave on time and jumped through the manufactured hoops like only cancelling by phone or having all cancellation effective immeadiatly. the hope is its so much of an inconvienince you put off canceling until its too late...then you don't want to cancel now because you dont want to lose the days in the next term. rinse / repeat.

Widescale fraud?

I wish all of you the best in your venture to make $28. You are so right, they owe you money, immediately! Better call Saul!

You will get paid after they do. They are a for-profit business, affiliate stuff aside. Those who are angry are mad they got caught trying to profit then instantly cancel. Sorry, that's not how it works.

Edit: and let the reds roll in. Do everyone a favor and explain how I'm wrong. Thanks.

coolbreeze said:   Carigis said:   coolbreeze said:   
Widescale fraud?

I wish all of you the best in your venture to make $28. You are so right, they owe you money, immediately! Better call Saul!

You will get paid after they do. They are a for-profit business, affiliate stuff aside. Those who are angry are mad they got caught trying to profit then instantly cancel. Sorry, that's not how it works.

Edit: and let the reds roll in. Do everyone a favor and explain how I'm wrong. Thanks.

they are paying you to give there paper a try .. its really that simple. they are hoping you will like it and stay and pay them more money.. but you are not obligated to do so if you don't like it.. its really that simple. not sure what about that is confusing to you? they set the terms in thier publicized offer. not the consumer. and those terms are clear.

Sorry everyone for the hassle, I did not like that the exact terms were not laid out, but still it seemed clear enough to me that you paid for a three month subscription and got a $50 gift card. Hard to argue you have to do anything else to get the gift card. Looks like their plan may have been to stop the bleeding by giving out false information, which I'm sure worked. After all, I didn't sign up my wife or kids!

jplee3 said:   hpmax said:   Let's be honest, there's very little risk to the deal. Worst case scenario you dispute the charge, and you will almost certainly win. Just keep a print out of the offer page. State you signed up because you thought you were going to get a $50 GC, and you haven't, they haven't held up their end of the agreement and you won't pay. But I agree, they certainly are not handling this very well.

Did anyone grab a screenshot of the offer and terms & conditions?

Actually, found one here:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/4/2013/03/m92521013_wsjoffer_94...

The very first thing you do with a super good deal is save a screenshot.

you gotta be kidding.

i called yesterday and they told me i wouldn't be able to cancel until today.

i just called and the representative told me that it is a non-refundable trial and i would be removed to the automatic renewal but i had to keep the payment.

seriously?

You might have lucked out. If they don't give you an Amazon card contact your bank in 8 weeks.

Called to cancel and got $21.75 refunded...

Mawashi said:   Called to cancel and got $21.75 refunded...

Yippie: I got clear confirmation that my "$21.99 includes 3 months WSJ.com PLUS $50 GC" -- so all set ... oh wait can't count chicken until they hatch ...

Still some stupid CSRs keep doling out 150-180 day cr@p that can safely be ignored or challenged until next one who will agree as above.

They have no chance of screwing us in this but they are with time spent of course .... else hey if I like I might even continue subscribing WSJ :-;

killed my virtual account number before they could charge. Don't feel like risking the hassle. Too bad...

one chat guy said i could get refund then another said in the terms it states i cant. i regret doing this now ha

Right now I'm enjoying my wall street journal which they have so genoursly offered me (It was a great offer). Most of us are probably gamblers and bargain hunters (for sure). We win some and lose a few. Interesting article found while searching free dictionary.com keywords false advertising
"To establish that an advertisement is false, a plaintiff must prove five things: (1) a false statement of fact has been made about the advertiser's own or another person's goods, services, or commercial activity; (2) the statement either deceives or has the potential to deceive a substantial portion of its targeted audience; (3) the deception is also likely to affect the purchasing decisions of its audience; (4) the advertising involves goods or services in interstate commerce; and (5) the deception has either resulted in or is likely to result in injury to the plaintiff. The most heavily weighed factor is the advertisement's potential to injure a customer. The injury is usually attributed to money the consumer lost through a purchase that would not have been made had the advertisement not been misleading. False statements can be defined in two ways: those that are false on their face and those that are implicitly false."

Why are a lot of you so worried? I personally like the WSJ, but even if you don't, your potential for gain outweighs the loss (my humble opinion - but to each his own)

nvhighroller said:   I guess this is what happens when Rupert Murdoch gets his hands on things...

spin off news

invisible said:   Quit asking them and worrying. They are bound to send the card as many here have screen shots of the offer and the agreement. I am sure by now they are tired of this also. Surprised why this is already not pulled: unless WSJ is being spun off / sold or taken over, and this is the plan on how to ....

Yup ... spin off as surmised http://online.wsj.com/article/AP2ca2b7c36f2343d5966e5ff9c18f9670...

JohnGalt69 said:   Sorry everyone for the hassle, I did not like that the exact terms were not laid out, but still it seemed clear enough to me that you paid for a three month subscription and got a $50 gift card. Hard to argue you have to do anything else to get the gift card. Looks like their plan may have been to stop the bleeding by giving out false information, which I'm sure worked. After all, I didn't sign up my wife or kids!
Look at that, I gave you green after you marked my posts red.

I'm a nice guy and it's not personal with me. Good luck getting your gift cards everyone!

Called WSJ, they told me the gift card would be mailed in 6-8 weeks. I asked why that wasn't in my email confirmation but they had no clue. I asked them to send me a confirmation of the gift card and they wouldn't. So, the only documentation provided confirms the WSJ subscription but not the gift card. I see problems with this deal so I canceled the subscription. I only did it for the $28 profit anyway.

6 reps i called(using different member info each time) from others in the office. It was 6 for 6 that you MUST be a subscriber for 120 days to get the GC mailed 6 to 8 weeks after the 120 days. That is why they make it auto renewal.so they can tack on an extra 21.99$ making a net of 6 bucks. All 6 reps said 90 day cancellations do not satisfy the GC requirement(My exact question). Sorry to rain on the FW parade. Just trying to get a definitive perspective/answer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014