• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
hot price on 3tb external hard drive USB at Staples.com
$99.99

http://www.staples.com/Seagate-Expansion-3TB-Desktop-USB-30-Exte...

Staples
Need a Staples coupon that earns Up to 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Seagate STBV3000100
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
request a coop plz. thx

sumduude (Mar. 12, 2013 @ 1:37p) |

Which drive was inside the shell? ST31000651AS? I'm going to assume the serial number shows no warranty on the drive tha... (more)

tdavis5432 (Mar. 12, 2013 @ 2:04p) |

OOS online again. Wanted to use my $25-off-$75 coupon.

=aw

ottawa (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 11:23a) |

Use a $25 off $$$ coupon to get this down to $75 + Tax.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was tempted but some pretty bad reviews.

Back when Seagate had 5 year warranty their drives were much more reliable. In any case I have never had any brand name hard drive fail on me yet, so I am truely surprised to see people reporting drive failure within a few months. I would buy this if I had the budget for more storage space. 1 year warranty plus 1 from your credit card should be enough. No one should have critical data stored on one drive anyway. If you are gonna use it for adult content, who cares if data is lost

edited for spelling error...

Seagate had 5 year warranty

This long warranty can be a joke. In theory, you can be covered as short as 3 plus months. For example, you drive dies in the first month, they will send you a refurbished drive, which only have 90 days warranty. After 90 days, if the drive died, you are on your own.

f2000sa said:   Seagate had 5 year warranty

This long warranty can be a joke. In theory, you can be covered as short as 3 plus months. For example, you drive dies in the first month, they will send you a refurbished drive, which only have 90 days warranty. After 90 days, if the drive died, you are on your own.

I had one replaced under warranty although be it about 4 years ago was told by Seagate that I would still have my full warranty even though my drive was replaced with a refurb. I kept my email and paper work on this just in case but never had to use.

Why does the most important part in a computer have the least reliability? What is the advanced technology?

kuelllin said:   Why does the most important part in a computer have the least reliability? What is the advanced technology?

because it has moving parts. Things with moving parts are always less reliable than non-moving devices.

couldn't stack a $25 off $75 on this I assume?...hmm

Those reviews tell me the crap quality era of Seagate continues.
'Tis a shame they've fallen so far and haven't recovered.
There used to be a time I preferred Seagate, but not since a few years' streak of failure after failure after premature failure.

kuelllin said:   Why does the most important part in a computer have the least reliability? What is the advanced technology?

Anyway if consumers really thought the hard drive was the most important they would pay $100 extra for a raid or a built in backup system but instead they opt to pay $200 more for extra little intel hamsters cranking the engine.

I agree that the HD is most important, that's why I don't quibble over having a $100 3TB drive in every drawer of my house and scatter around various family and friends houses and also a few in other countries and one in orbit. I'm also eagerly awaiting the next moon and mars missions to be safe.

OfficeMax has HGST Touro Desk external 2TB USB 3.0 for $69.95

Theherb74 said:   there only 2 reviews. Amazon .comn gives it 4 stars
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV300...

I meant the ones I read on Staples.com. I just checked Newegg and seemed better but more like love it or hate it.

Theherb74 said:   there only 2 reviews. Amazon .comn gives it 4 stars
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV300...

Amazon aggregates reviews between the 1, 2, and 3TB versions of this drive. The 3TB version gets much worse reviews than the others.

I bought seven of these on black friday, shucked the shells, and have them installed in my home media server. I've had 0 problems with any of the drives, and they've been running 24/7 since installation. they run a little bit warm. i have them in a case that has 8 hard drive bays, so the spacing between them is a bit lacking. even so, I have a couple of good quality case fans blowing on them, and the temps never get close to any dangerous range.

galvodog10 said:   couldn't stack a $25 off $75 on this I assume?...hmm
I was able to.

SEAGATE EXPANSION DESK 3T
Item No.:895616Price:$111.99/each
Expected delivery:03/12/2013byUPS 1 $111.99

Subtotal:: $111.99
Delivery: FREE
Coupon1: -$12.00
Coupon2: -$25.00
Tax: $7.12
Total: $82.11

And for AMEX Platium Card holders 5% back on office supplies so...
-$4.11
Total after CC $78.00

Not sure if fatwallet 2.5% works on Technology.

If so... that would be another $2 off.

wizardking said:   galvodog10 said:   couldn't stack a $25 off $75 on this I assume?...hmm
I was able to.

-$4.11

Total after CC $78.00

Would you be able to share what the $25 off $75 code is...can't find one anywhere.

Why are external hard drives consistently cheaper than internal drives? The external drive is an internal drive with a bunch of additional parts. Doesn't make sense to me.

I've needed a 3 TB internal for a while. I would remove the drive from the case as others have done but I heard that voids the warranty. Is that true?

Also, a lot of people with older computers give bad reviews to 3 TB+ hard drives because their computer can't handle a drive larger than 2 TB.

f2000sa said:   Seagate had 5 year warranty

That's bullshit. 5 years is 5 years. They should honor the drive for 5 years. Someone should complain to the state attorney general. Seems like false advertising.

ThriftyNet said:   wizardking said:   galvodog10 said:   couldn't stack a $25 off $75 on

Would you be able to share what the $25 off $75 code is...can't find one anywhere.

I got one in the mail and it worked..... $75 and I will roll the dice on it even though I don't really need it..... Lol

namlook said:   f2000sa said:   Seagate had 5 year warranty

That's bullshit. 5 years is 5 years. They should honor the drive for 5 years. Someone should complain to the state attorney general. Seems like false advertising.

They do. He's wrong.

You could also use the 5 off 25 coupon from the shazam thread on this.

Thanks for the posting. Was able to use the $25 off $100 coupon too. 3 terabytes for $75, amazing.

Wait, am I Dumb? .. I searched and searced.. even use, 25OFF ... nothing worked.. someone want to TELL me the code?
thanks

f2000sa said:   

This is just lazy and false. Warranty is still good for the specified period of the product.

Thanks for the deal. Are these eBay $25 off $75 coupons valid? They are selling for around $10. I just wanted to make sure they work on this hard drive deal before buying them

ThriftyNet said:   wizardking said:   galvodog10 said:   couldn't stack a $25 off $75 on this I assume?...hmm
I was able to.

-$4.11

Total after CC $78.00

99% of $25 off $$ are one time use only.
Got to have one mailed/emailed/sent to you by Staples, or take your chances and buy one from something like ejun*y or eBay.

I got lucky, and got one someone was trashing in their junk mail a few months ago.

Now does anyone know how to get dd-wrt/tomato to mirror two usb drives...

Redw000d said:   Wait, am I Dumb? .. I searched and searced.. even use, 25OFF ... nothing worked.. someone want to TELL me the code?
thanks

Yes you are.
There is no code to tell. You have to get your own $25 off $$$ coupon from Staples, a very kind person, or buy one from the grey market as they are one time use only.

NVM

FinancialAnalyst said:    I would remove the drive from the case as others have done but I heard that voids the warranty. Is that true?

Yes. That is correct...no enclosure = no warranty.

So the in-store kiosk... can you use an online/phone only coupon and then pay at the register with an in-store only gift card?

hey, I didn't put RED up, ... I Bought one of these things! thanks OP.... I don't even KNOW how to do red/green.... but

Thanks Staples... today, I have $25 off $75 coupon in email....

Redw000d said:   Wait, am I Dumb? .. I searched and searced.. even use, 25OFF ... nothing worked.. someone want to TELL me the code?
thanks

UPdate.. well, That was Easy... called, got credit, Thank you Staples, thanks FW !!!

Got $20.00 off coupon code in email to apply to this one.
Final = $83.99 shipped. No bad for a 3TB external drive....

Dammit, my $40 of $80 expired yesterday.

Well...sucked in w/a $25 off $75...spending more on what I can't afford...thanks o.p...green

Just tried to order. Out of Stock.

starcastic said:   Dammit, my $40 of $80 expired yesterday.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but most Staples coupons are still good a couple days after expiration. The number of days varies with the type of coupon. Heck, it's definitely worth trying and if it doesn't work online, you can try to order it through phone (if that's not restricted on the coupon verbiage) and have the CSR manually apply it for you.

Buscobob said:   Just tried to order. Out of Stock.
hmm? It's still in stock since I just tried to add it into cart.

Skipping 6 Messages...
OOS online again. Wanted to use my $25-off-$75 coupon.

=aw

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014