• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

7 Piece knife set
Disclaimer

cutleryandmore.com
Disclaimer
Ends March 16th @ Midnight CST or Until Sold Out - $169.91 Amazon has it for $199 but no sharpener.
Set Contains:
4-inch Paring Knife
5-inch Serrated Utility Knife
6-inch Utility Knife
8-inch Chef's Knife
9-inch Sharpening Steel
14-slot Knife Storage Block
Kitchen Shears

The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S series known as Pro S, delivers outstanding cutting performance and used worldwide by professional & home chefs. Made in Germany, Lifetime Warranty.

Special Offer : FREE Hand-Held Knife Sharpener with any Henckels Cutlery purchase of $149 or more. $25 Value (ends 3/31/13) Nice sharpener, I received one when I ordered the 8 piece set a couple years ago, great performance on this AND the knives.

Free Shipping
Free Ground 2-5 business day shipping on orders over $49 to the contiguous United States. They do ship via UPS & USPS Priority Mail to all United States destinations.

Member Summary

Henckels Professional S Knife Block Set
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
*Precision forged from a single piece of Zwilling J.A. Henckels exclusive high-carbon stainless steel
*Full tang with bolster, provides solid grip & balance; traditional 3-rivet handle
*58 Rockwell Hardness; 15 degree blade angle
*Friodur ice-hardened blades are remarkably sharp, stay sharper longer and highly corrosion resistant
*Made in Solingen Germany; Lifetime warranty

The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S series known as Pro S, delivers outstanding cutting performance and used worldwide by professional & home chefs. This entire collection features precision forged knives made from a single piece of Zwilling J.A. Henckels exclusive high-carbon stainless steel. As a result, the knives have improved quality consistency, lasting sharpness, and perfect geometry. In addition, the steel blade goes through a special ice-hardening process called Friodur. This process changes the molecular structure of the steel improving the cutting properties providing a remarkably sharp blade and ensures a long lasting cutting edge. Each knife is precision honed and laser controlled to assure the cutting edge is accurate along the full length of the blade. The blade is enhanced with a traditional 3-riveted comfortable handle. Made in Germany, Lifetime Warranty.

Item: 35712-000
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Don't confuse these with Henckels' cheap "International" products or their mid-grade Gourmet line - these are Henckels' high-end forged German made knives and are well worth every dime of the price. I'm a bit of a knife snob and bought this set last year and I have to tell you that I'm very impressed with them! The knives came sharp enough to shave with and seem to be holding their razor edge six months later. Finish wise the 14-slot hardwood block isn't as nice as some of their larger blocks but it's large enough to allow you to add 4 more knives plus it has room for 4 of the matching (but not included) steak knives. Fair warning it's easy to become hopelessly spoiled using good knives and I've since upgraded to a larger block and add more knives as they go on sale.

FYI C&M also has larger replacement blocks on sale including 20 slot hardwood block for $35.

Thanks sholling for the head up on the block sale, great deal on that too! I'm very tempted to jump on it!

Also there may be a store near you and MAY be able to get it in store if they have it in stock -call ahead, but free shipping is great!

I've ordered a few things from them the past couple years and highly recommend them.

Good knives are like popcorn and you just can't stop once you get started.

I bought the 20 slot block (it's huge!) before Christmas and then added the 8" Pro S carving knife when C&M had it as their 'Deal Of The Week' and then the Pro S Santoku set and 4 steak knives from other sales. FWIW C&M's customer service is amazing.

I've got the 17 slot block that came with the 8 piece which is sufficient for now. I'll keep my eye open for the 22 slot to hopefully go on sale -been looking out for the 6 piece steak knife set to go below 200 but no luck. I guess next time it's on sale for $200 I ought to jump on that too.

These does not look like the professional twin s offered on Amazon. The handle does not have the embossed twin label.

Mastayau - My guess is they may have used to look like that and it's an old picture. Here's the manufacturers link for the PROFESSIONAL "S".

This is an excerpt from the Amazon link I posted (About a 10th of the way down the page)

"From the Manufacturer; The J.A. Henckels Twin Professional S (or Pro S) knife series features trustworthy quality and classic three-rivet styling--itís a line of knives admired by both professional chefs and home cooks of all skill levels. The Twin Pro S line contains knives for all tasks, including the following open stock knife types: parer, bread, peeling, sandwich, utility, carving, steak, chefís, Granton edge slicer, santoku, and others. Twin Pro S knives are also available in a range of block sets and gift sets, to be sure that your cutlery needs are covered."

I bought the 8 piece set a couple years ago and they still have the same picture I saw and yes those have the embossed handles too (my set doesn't) but I don't think Henkels makes them like that any more. This wasn't and still isn't a big enough deal (although I'll admit is slightly disappointing) to not buy them or ask them to have them embossed for me or to update their picture.

(EDIT) - It was 2 years ago but I think I did actually ask about that very same thing, about the logo on the handle in the picture. If I remember right they said that the manufacturer supplies the pictures for products and they couldn't change them per contract.

Embossed handles?
Laser engraving with an epoxy filler...Embossing the handles is a nice feature but longevity might be the issue, and in a production setting like they have according to the process videos, I know that automated laser engraving requires additional overhead to ensure quality engraved products.
I think they could offer that as a bonus or when the market justifies that deluxe feature, why else would they keep those marketing pictures in circulation. Other brands utilize it, Wusthof looks like they use it.

<In an effort to better answer your reply I added a post, part 2, below>

J.A. Henckels - Everything About Kitchen Knives -courtesy of Squidoo.com and jgio08 (Check out the different manufacturing processes videos!)

What's the difference between the "2-man" Henckels and the "1-man" Henckels?So what is the difference between the Zwilling J.A. Henckels "TWIN" brand and the J.A. Henckels International brand anyway?
The Zwilling J.A.Henckels brand is the premium brand. All TWIN series knives such as Four Star and TWIN Cuisine are from this brand. Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives are mostly manufactured at the worldwide headquarters in Solingen, Germany and are designed for the gourmet cook who appreciates only the best. The blades of the knives are made of Henckels' exclusive high carbon, no-stain steel formula. The steel then undergoes Henckels' patented FRIODUR ice-hardening process then guarantees will be durability and corrosion-resistance. The knives from this brand feature the latest in cutlery technology and design.
In addition to the knife lines mentioned above, TWIN Pro S, TWIN Four Star II, and TWIN Cermax M66 are other examples of "TWIN" brand cutlery. Most of the knives series have precision forged blades.
J.A. Henckels International cutlery and products are designed for the value conscious consumer who wants a quality product for everyday needs. Products from this brand are manufactured in Henckels factories in China and Spain. The Classic knife series, Classic Clad Cookware, and Premiere Flatware are examples of the diverse cutlery and kitchen products offered by this brand. While Classic and Forged Synergy offer forged knife blade construction, Fine Edge Pro and Fine Edge Synergy offer stamped blades. The Never Needs Sharpening lines, such as Eversharp Pro, all feature micro-serrated edges that never need sharpening.The easiest way to differentiate the brands is to think of the "TWIN" brand as "The Premium Brand" , and the "single-guy" brand as "The Value Brand." For more information, visit www.jahenckels.com
or better yet www.zwilling.com

I have some of the made in Spain forged Henckels international knives and the twin s (same style handle). The international forged 8" chef's knife is actually better balanced. It can balance right on your middle finger at the bolster using a chef's grip. the pro S has a thicker bolster and more bias toward the blade, which I dislike. I can work faster with the slightly lighter better balance blade. Neither has had issues with quality. At this price though you can't go wrong.

One tip: don't get their bread knives. They are OK, but really are too thick. You can get some great serrated bread knives for much less that have a thinner blade. And yes, the serrated blades need to be sharpened at least yearly. Try smith's pocket sharpener, it has a nice diamond rod for sharpening the teeth.

in 4 1, thank you

Bought 1 ... thank you. Was in the market for a good set for long long time now. The best i had used so far are the boscov's $5 chinese sets, wasn't ready to shell out big bucks for intermediate. Realized that the time has come. Checked the reviews on Amazon, the only thing people were crying about was the block. This is good ... once again .. thank you

Seems like a decent deal, but if you are a pure cook and just want the best (or close to the best) performing knives at a reasonable price, consider Cooks Illustrated's recommendations for getting knives individually. Often these sets have knives that aren't useful or are cheaply made.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Kitchen-Carte-Knife/lm/R...

chunkychen8184 said:   Seems like a decent deal, but if you are a pure cook and just want the best (or close to the best) performing knives at a reasonable price, consider Cooks Illustrated's recommendations for getting knives individually. Often these sets have knives that aren't useful or are cheaply made.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Kitchen-Carte-Knife/lm/R...

That advice would not apply in this case. This set gives you all the basics in a premium grade starter set with a block to store them in without damage to edges or hands and the knives themselves were top rated in Consumer Reports. Don't mistake this for a cheap set - Henckels Professional S are among the very best kitchen knives on the market and in this case you save a ton of money buying the set on sale - the 8" chef's knife by itself sells for $112 and up and buying all the pieces individually would cost 3-4 times as much as the deal on this set.

Zwilling aren't fools, they know that once you've used really great knives you'll eventually buy more matching pieces ans that's where they'll make their money. The key is to buy the extras (bread knife, Santoku, etc) only when they go on sale and not pay full price.

got my set yesterday, sharpener seems very nice, thanks again FW

skh12 said:   got my set yesterday, sharpener seems very nice, thanks again FW
Wow that was fast! C&M and FW comes through again!

Yeah Smith's make great sharpeners!

Enjoy!

in for 1 and very happy with the set. These are super quality knives and cut through items like they are all butter. Fantastic deal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014