• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Sony Alpha SLT-A37 16.1 MP DSLR w/ Translucent Mirror Technology @ Rakuten.com Shopping (formerly Buy.com) - $424.99
was $599.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping coupons that earn Up to 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

great starter DSLR, especially for newbies who want to try shooting in PASM mode with amazing live view

Barabas said:   great starter DSLR, especially for newbies who want to try shooting in PASM mode with amazing live view
Just PAS modes really. The manual mode is nearly unusable. I wonder if Sony has fixed this in the newly released SLT-A58? They are the only major DSLR camera maker whose DSLRs don't have this simple feature.

FutureDilemma said:   Barabas said:   great starter DSLR, especially for newbies who want to try shooting in PASM mode with amazing live view
Just PAS modes really. The manual mode is nearly unusable. I wonder if Sony has fixed this in the newly released SLT-A58? They are the only major DSLR camera maker whose DSLRs don't have this simple feature.

I don't understand why Auto ISO would be desirable in Manual mode, the whole point of manual mode is that you are completely controlling the exposure allowing you under or overexpose at will, if you mean it doesn't have auto ISO in Aperture priority or shutter priority I can see that being problematic to some degree. Having said that I frequently use manual mode to select an aperture and faster shutter speed than my camera would normally select when using my 5600HSD bounce flash and it always exposes perfectly, as one would expect a TTL flash to do. Even then I don't want auto ISO because I generally set it to the camera's base ISO to get the best quality shots.

Yea.. I would not want auto ISO in Manual mode. It's the Manual mode damnit!
I'm mostly a A more shooter though.. love the bokeh with f/2.8 shots on my Sony (not this camera)

KayK said:   Yea.. I would not want auto ISO in Manual mode. It's the Manual mode damnit!
I'm mostly a A more shooter though.. love the bokeh with f/2.8 shots on my Sony (not this camera)

I did some reading on this and the auto ISO in manual mode for Canon/Nikon is used to be able to set aperture and shutter and still have the camera expose properly automatically. I wouldn't think ISO adjustments would be granular enough for this to work but apparently it does.

If you like 2.8 you should try some fast primes...my Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 is crazy wide open.

dzer0 said:   If you like 2.8 you should try some fast primes...my Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 is crazy wide open.Built-in lens only for my camera.. Sony HX1. But the lens is nice.. f/2.8 - f/8.0, 28mm - 560mm. Yes.. 20x Optical zoom

FutureDilemma said:   Barabas said:   great starter DSLR, especially for newbies who want to try shooting in PASM mode with amazing live view

Are you serious? Sony's Manual mode is very useful, especially for newbies who can really benefit from A57's great Live View mode. I never liked any camera's Auto ISO, and always set it manually on my previous Rebel. When using manual mode, I prefer full control over my exposures, so unless its something that can easily be changed in post-processing, such as white balance, I set anything auto to off/custom. With Sony, it is so easy since you see near-final results before you take your exposure.

Barabas said:   FutureDilemma said:   Barabas said:   great starter DSLR, especially for newbies who want to try shooting in PASM mode with amazing live view

Are you serious? Sony's Manual mode is very useful, especially for newbies who can really benefit from A57's great Live View mode. I never liked any camera's Auto ISO, and always set it manually on my previous Rebel. When using manual mode, I prefer full control over my exposures, so unless its something that can easily be changed in post-processing, such as white balance, I set anything auto to off/custom. With Sony, it is so easy since you see near-final results before you take your exposure.

Apparently you only do landscapes where one has plenty of time to adjust and review all the settings before you take the picture. Try taking pictures of people, and especially kids, where you need to be quick or you will miss the moment, and you will see why having an option for Auto ISO is so important. Remember that it is an option and you can still set the ISO manually if you so prefer. Also, like I mentioned, every other DSLR lineup has this feature, so it is considered a pretty basic and useful feature. Even Olympus's Micro Four Thirds lineup has it. Even if you in particular never happen to use it, why must we submit to Sony's whims and fancies and pay for a less featured product? Remember, it doesn't cost anything to add this feature: it requires no extra hardware, and the software functionality for it already exists in other modes, so it just needs to be enabled in this mode as well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014