• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Pogoplug POGO-B01 Media Sharing Device
Disclaimer
Pogoplug (POGO-B01) Ethernet Media Sharing Device (Pink or Black) $14.99 w/ Free Shipping at Ebay via Adorama

• 1 x 10/100/1000M RJ-45 Port
  • 1 x SATA Bay
  • 4 x USB 2.0 Connectors
  • 1-Year Limited Warranty

Normally $29.99, now $14.99 with free shipping.

Pogoplug POGO-B01 is a multimedia sharing device that lets you connect any external hard drive and then access and share your content over the internet. Installation takes less than 60 seconds and there are no monthly fees.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You can always hack it and install linux do more things with it: http://archlinuxarm.org/

Watch out which model you buy t... (more)

ipapadop (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 2:47p) |

It's a lot less slow if you upload/backup your files in smaller groups rather than doing a huge amount at one time. Onc... (more)

lindelynn (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 4:12p) |

kami333 (Mar. 13, 2013 @ 4:21p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

hallf said:   Discussed in this post http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1256876/

I'm not sure if this is the P21.....?

GreenTrash said:   hallf said:   Discussed in this post http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1256876/

the one on eBay is from Adorama
P21 is the pink one ?

RegUSPatOff said:   GreenTrash said:   hallf said:   Discussed in this post http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1256876/

the one on eBay is from Adorama
P21 is the pink one

If only it were that easy.

It seems like Pogoplug reboxed Es in P21 boxes but never the other way around. And B01 always seems to be correct, haven't read of anyone getting something different.

I'm probably missing something but I don't see the point of this item. Cloud storage is generally free; so what does this thing do that cloud storage doesn't.

You can always add a usb drive for storage on the LAN.

For on-line storage, box.com is giving 50gb for free.

I doubt most users need more than that.

What am I missing?

But box.com gives 50gb for free. Not many people need more.

SendMeMoney said:   I'm probably missing something but I don't see the point of this item.

Most people would agree with that, which is why they're being remaindered out at $15. There are a few interesting things that can be done with it, such as converting it into a low-buck web server.

SendMeMoney said:   I'm probably missing something but I don't see the point of this item. Cloud storage is generally free; so what does this thing do that cloud storage doesn't.

You can always add a usb drive for storage on the LAN.

I doubt most users need more than that.

What am I missing?

But box.com gives 50gb for free. Not many people need more.

Box's max upload file size is 100mb. dropbox is 300mb(no limit using the desktop software). This thing makes sharing copyrighted material with friends and family easy.

lowerJerZey said:   Box's max upload file size is 100mb. dropbox is 300mb(no limit using the desktop software). This thing makes sharing copyrighted material with friends and family easy.

Point taken.

Thanks for the clarification.

But how does this make files visible on the net? Does it come with some sort of software? How do you connect to it remotely? By IP? What if you have a dynamic IP?

Thanks

DrKlahn said:   SendMeMoney said:   I'm probably missing something but I don't see the point of this item.

Most people would agree with that, which is why they're being remaindered out at $15. There are a few interesting things that can be done with it, such as converting it into a low-buck web server.

They're cheap because they're an older version(but better than the latest in some aspects), and Adorama has a lot of these to unload.

SendMeMoney said:   

How do you get 50GB? Online it shows 5GB free...

wiseguy1100 said:   
How do you get 50GB? Online it shows 5GB free...

I signed up about a month ago. It may have been a promo.

You can try goggling for info.

I have one of this model and use it to store tons of music which I can then listen to on my tablet or cell phone from anywhere with the Pogoplug app.
It was easy to set up and has worked well.

I honestly like the fact that MY data is on MY local drive that I can TOUCH and do with what I want INSTANTLY. With cloud based storage I have no real control over it as in cases where the cloud provider doesn't offer good security.

SendMeMoney said:   lowerJerZey said:   Box's max upload file size is 100mb. dropbox is 300mb(no limit using the desktop software). This thing makes sharing copyrighted material with friends and family easy.

Point taken.

Thanks for the clarification.

But how does this make files visible on the net? Does it come with some sort of software? How do you connect to it remotely? By IP? What if you have a dynamic IP?

Thanks

It's easy. Once you buy it, hook it up and create an account at my.pogoplug.com(this is where you'll access your files). Then activate it. It will index all the files you have on the drive. You can now access all your files from any browser or smartphone. To share, you can create guest accounts by inviting friends using their email addresses. They too will have access to whatever files you allow to share. Or, you can simply make a link. Like this one...
Pic of my pogoplug.
Share all your pictures, movies, shows, and music with whomever. But remember, this uses your bandwidth.

lowerJerZey said:   
It's easy. Once you buy it, hook it up and create an account at my.pogoplug.com(this is where you'll access your files). Then activate it. It will index all the files you have on the drive. You can now access all your files from any browser or smartphone. To share, you can create guest accounts by inviting friends using their email addresses. They too will have access to whatever files you allow to share. Or, you can simply make a link. Like this one...
Pic of my pogoplug.
Share all your pictures, movies, shows, and music with whomever. But remember, this uses your bandwidth.

Cool. Thanks!

Time to take a serious look at this. I have a few 1T drives sitting around. I don't want to pay for online storage. I like the idea of the other poster in having it locally and nearby.

hkgfnt said:   Time to take a serious look at this. I have a few 1T drives sitting around. I don't want to pay for online storage. I like the idea of the other poster in having it locally and nearby.

Same situation, and uploading to the cloud takes forever with the stuff that I have.

I had pogo before. Only used it for 2 minutes and now it's sitting in the garage. VERYYYYY SLOWW. Unless you have all day like HS or college students.

For those of you that like this device, can you tell us how well it streams music to a tablet or phone running iOS?

Wondering if this will work without any hacking for streaming 320kbps mp3 files from home to wherever I am.

You can always hack it and install linux do more things with it: http://archlinuxarm.org/

Watch out which model you buy though, E02s (P21) are better supported than the other ones.

It's a lot less slow if you upload/backup your files in smaller groups rather than doing a huge amount at one time. Once you get everything uploaded, updates are actually pretty quick.

ipapadop said:   You can always hack it and install linux do more things with it: http://archlinuxarm.org/

Watch out which model you buy though, E02s (P21) are better supported than the other ones.

Upstream Arch Linux has dropped support for initscripts going forward. This leaves the Oxnas based devices in a state of limbo. The current kernel on the Oxnas does **NOT** support systemd. In order to use some packages that used to have initscripts (Samba, transmission, etc) YOU will need to provide a startup script to put into /etc/rc.d/ You can find these in the changelogs to the packages upstream. They also are not guaranteed to work.
If you have not purchased a device yet, we recommend you look into other options as we are unsure of the future availability of a stable up to date kernel.

link

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.