Disclaimer
Not sure how long this will last.

Link

Member Summary

Target Gift Card
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Target card holders already get 5% off and free shipping online, so 6% isn't a hot deal for me, but might be for others.

FYI, some others to try are giftcardrescue and cardcash

But if you partial pay for an online order with your target card, and use the rest of the amount with gift cards, the whole transaction is reduced by 5%, IIRC. Don't know if it still works that way.

MilleniumBuc said:   But if you partial pay for an online order with your target card, and use the rest of the amount with gift cards, the whole transaction is reduced by 5%, IIRC. Don't know if it still works that way.

I know that's not how it works in store. In store, they just discount the part paid via the Target card.

MilleniumBuc said:   But if you partial pay for an online order with your target card, and use the rest of the amount with gift cards, the whole transaction is reduced by 5%, IIRC. Don't know if it still works that way.

It still works that way.

psxzombie said:   Target card holders already get 5% off and free shipping online, so 6% isn't a hot deal for me, but might be for others.

FYI, some others to try are giftcardrescue and cardcash

If you have Target REDcard, you'd save more than 5% for online purchases if you use your REDcard and discounted gift card in the same order.
Example:
Online purchase of $110. Paying with $100 discounted gift card and the rest with Target REDcard.

+ $110 online purchase
- $5.50 (5% REDcard discount)
- $6 (6% off $100 Target gift card purchase)
= $98.50 total + tax

Total savings is 10.45% (instead of just 5% REDcard savings)

Bought $100 worth of cards via TopCashBack for another 2% off. Not a huge savings - but my first foray into buying cards online and needed to top off my spend for my wife's AMEX plat bonus from a couple months ago.

Thanks for the info about the Target 5% online orders. I have been hesitant about getting a target card - but might do this if this is the case.

Does anyone know if the target card does a hard inquiry?

BenH said:   Bought $100 worth of cards via TopCashBack for another 2% off. Not a huge savings - but my first foray into buying cards online and needed to top off my spend for my wife's AMEX plat bonus from a couple months ago.

Thanks for the info about the Target 5% online orders. I have been hesitant about getting a target card - but might do this if this is the case.

Target offers both a debit and a credit REDcard, so the choice is yours : )

I can confirm it worked this way with an online order I placed in Feb.

cuddlyone said:   BenH said:   Bought $100 worth of cards via TopCashBack for another 2% off. Not a huge savings - but my first foray into buying cards online and needed to top off my spend for my wife's AMEX plat bonus from a couple months ago.

Good to know. Many retailers don't do hard queries I believe when you open up a charge card with them - so I was curious if Target worked the same and if they consider it a "charge" or a "credit" card.
I see now that it is a VISA card - so it is really "credit". I might go ahead and get the debit card for now...

Thanks!

BenH said:   Good to know. Many retailers don't do hard queries I believe when you open up a charge card with them - so I was curious if Target worked the same and if they consider it a "charge" or a "credit" card.
I see now that it is a VISA card - so it is really "credit". I might go ahead and get the debit card for now...

Thanks!

I have Target's Red Card which is a store card that isn't a Visa nor a debit card. I got this card when I was at the register and applied during a purchase. Whole process took a couple minutes, all they needed was my driver's license. I was provided with a temp card until I received the real card through the mail in about a week.

happypants said:   I have Target's Red Card which is a store card that isn't a Visa nor a debit card. I got this card when I was at the register and applied during a purchase. Whole process took a couple minutes, all they needed was my driver's license. I was provided with a temp card until I received the real card through the mail in about a week.

Are you sure it isn't the debit card spoken of above:

http://www.target.com/redcard/main

That red card is a "Debit" card and requires an in store app...this is what I was planning to do.

So is another debit card option other than this?

B&M:
5% off using target card

Online:
18% off
Carpool GCs 6% off, 2% CB using CB sites on the GC purchase
Use the target card for a tiny amount to get 5% off your entire order
Use a CB site (up to 5% off) on your target purchase

BenH said:   Good to know. Many retailers don't do hard queries I believe when you open up a charge card with them - so I was curious if Target worked the same and if they consider it a "charge" or a "credit" card.

Thanks!

I don't know any retailer that has any type of card that does not pull a hard inq. Care to share one?
As well, target has not offered a Visa card in years. You can only get a store card.

BenH said:   cuddlyone said:   BenH said:   Bought $100 worth of cards via TopCashBack for another 2% off. Not a huge savings - but my first foray into buying cards online and needed to top off my spend for my wife's AMEX plat bonus from a couple months ago.

Good to know. Many retailers don't do hard queries I believe when you open up a charge card with them - so I was curious if Target worked the same and if they consider it a "charge" or a "credit" card.

Thanks!

Target no longer offers the Visa version of the card to new cardholders.

BenH said:   happypants said:   I have Target's Red Card which is a store card that isn't a Visa nor a debit card. I got this card when I was at the register and applied during a purchase. Whole process took a couple minutes, all they needed was my driver's license. I was provided with a temp card until I received the real card through the mail in about a week.

Are you sure it isn't the debit card spoken of above:

http://www.target.com/redcard/main

That red card is a "Debit" card and requires an in store app...this is what I was planning to do.

So is another debit card option other than this?

What happypants has is exactly what I have. It is a Target credit REDcard, not a Visa REDcard or a debit REDcard. It is true what others have previously mentioned...Target no longer offers Visa REDcard.

The target Visa is still shown on their site with the other cards...but didn't realize you couldn't still get it...

So does that meant the Target Credit card can *only* be used at Target?

As far as stores that don't do a credit pull. Well - it has been a long time since I have opened a charge card at a store. But, pretty sure when I opened a JC Penny and a Bloomingdales card neither one generated a credit inquiry (both of these were 15+ years ago).

BenH said:   The target Visa is still shown on their site with the other cards...but didn't realize you couldn't still get it...

So does that meant the Target Credit card can *only* be used at Target?

As far as stores that don't do a credit pull. Well - it has been a long time since I have opened a charge card at a store. But, pretty sure when I opened a JC Penny and a Bloomingdales card neither one generated a credit inquiry (both of these were 15+ years ago).

Yes, it can only be used at Target.

stanolshefski said:   MilleniumBuc said:   But if you partial pay for an online order with your target card, and use the rest of the amount with gift cards, the whole transaction is reduced by 5%, IIRC. Don't know if it still works that way.

I know that's not how it works in store. In store, they just discount the part paid via the Target card.
Does NOT work this way instore

NutsAboutGolf said:   B&M:
5% off using target card

Online:
18% off
Carpool GCs 6% off, 2% CB using CB sites on the GC purchase
Use the target card for a tiny amount to get 5% off your entire order
Use a CB site (up to 5% off) on your target purchase

Don't forget that you also should include CashBack calculations if you're using a rewards credit card to purchase the gift cards.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014