iPad Mini 16 GB for $299.99 B&M

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
GWBush said:   It's not thread crapping when your backing it up with facts. Fact is, the reality distortion field is weakening. Just try to email anything but what Apple want you to attach to email. If it's possible, it wasn't straight forward. But hey, if you're happy being on rails that's your prerogative. Even if the truth stings just ever so slightly, the longer you use it, the more you'll realize you can't just ignore it any more. This is from someone who's used the original iPhone development kit. I.e. Gen 1 user. Neither a phandroid nor fanboi.

Have owned 4 Apple devices already. Bought my first Android "Nexus 7" last month. Worked for 2 hours, then never turned on again, despite all the advice on the internet about this "problem". Search on "nexus 7 won't turn on". Yeah, this happens to Apple...NOT! Android made a great first impression on me! Trouble with Android is there's no ownership of it. Everybody can make a device with it, including those cheap Asian $79 knockoffs. So none of them feel like it's really their product. Whereas Apple has a reputation to uphold, and they support their product. That's why you pay the premium. You get what you pay for.

cpabster said:   kdn102 said:   Isn't this just $30 off retail? I mean, sure, Apple stuff rarely goes on sale, but $30?

When an Android tablet is $30 off it's a hot deal. Why the hate?

If you can find it cheaper please let us know. Thanks.

Android tablets are not $30 off. That crap is $30.

GWBush said:   It's not thread crapping when your backing it up with facts. Fact is, the reality distortion field is weakening. Just try to email anything but what Apple want you to attach to email. If it's possible, it wasn't straight forward. But hey, if you're happy being on rails that's your prerogative. Even if the truth stings just ever so slightly, the longer you use it, the more you'll realize you can't just ignore it any more. This is from someone who's used the original iPhone development kit. I.e. Gen 1 user. Neither a phandroid nor fanboi.

The fact that you couldn't figure out how to e-mail a PDF from an iPhone is quite telling. It's just not a hard thing to do.

Name of store and being available in-store only should be in the subject line.

Does this mean these will start to go on sale in other stores soon? I was planning on getting one this weekend in beautiful tax free NH and using the $30 BBuy reward certificates but I have until 4/20 to use those so should I wait? What do you think? There is a micro center near me in Cambridge, MA but the tax will wipe out most of the price difference vs. Bbuy NH...

And only the black is on sale, not the white. What is the difference other than the color?

Guys Im an Android Fan, but the ipad really wins in the tablet war. So many apps and games are available that Android cant compete. A tablet also doesnt require the advanced options that an android phone has. Battery life on the Ipad is also amazing.

Anyways I always recommend to people: Android Phone Ipad Tablet

robby69 said:   I love the Android concept, but try as I may I find myself going back my Apple products more. I have both cheap and expensive Android tablets, including a repurposed HP Touchpad to cyanogenmod and a Viewsonic 22" Android tablet.
I just think the touchscreen on the iPad etc., is much more responsive.

I've got an iPad 1, iPad 4, Samsung Tab 2 7", and Nexus 7.
The pixel density of the iPad 4 is much better than the Samsung, but not noticeably better than the nexus 7. Because of the wide codec support of the Android tablets, simple network sharing/navigation, file system access, I find myself using them more and more instead of the iPad. Add in the fact my Nexus 7 was $228 for 32GB, I'm seeing less and less of a reason to spend more money for an Apple product. Give the Nexus tablets a shot and I think you will be very happy.

tmushy said:   Guys Im an Android Fan, but the ipad really wins in the tablet war. So many apps and games are available that Android cant compete. A tablet also doesnt require the advanced options that an android phone has. Battery life on the Ipad is also amazing.

Anyways I always recommend to people: Android Phone Ipad Tablet

Android can and does compete in the tablet market even though they haven't "won".. yet anyways. I always see Android devices gsetting better significantly faster than iOS devices which have become quite stagnant. Eventually it won't come down to preference and there will be a clear choice layed out for even the non tech knowledgeable.

NENSC said:   Meh.. i'm pretty much done with Apple. Might try samsung products going foward. Kinda got tired of getting raped with Apples prices, O and Itunes sucks.

i hate itunes. only apple product I have is ipod nano my gf got me. But dam I really hate itunes.

the nexus 7 is better IMO then this mini

fujimi said:   NENSC said:   Meh.. i'm pretty much done with Apple. Might try samsung products going foward. Kinda got tired of getting raped with Apples prices, O and Itunes sucks.

i hate itunes. only apple product I have is ipod nano my gf got me. But dam I really hate itunes.

The Ipad mini is essentially a shrunken down Ipad 2, and yes Itunes is a deal breaker to me. The Nexus 7 is a far better tablet for the money, especially when you can find it for under $200. I give Apple maybe another year when they no longer have pricing power and have to actually compete instead of expecting the sheeple to pay 50% premiums for their products.

pdiggity said:   fujimi said:   NENSC said:   Meh.. i'm pretty much done with Apple. Might try samsung products going foward. Kinda got tired of getting raped with Apples prices, O and Itunes sucks.

The Ipad mini is essentially a shrunken down Ipad 2, and yes Itunes is a deal breaker to me. The Nexus 7 is a far better tablet for the money, especially when you can find it for under $200. I give Apple maybe another year when they no longer have pricing power and have to actually compete instead of expecting the sheeple to pay 50% premiums for their products.

Do you even have an ipad mini? I hate iTunes as well and never bought an apple product until I finally decided to buy an ipad 2 to see what the fuss was about. Please note that I was an apple hater like many of you here. I had a blackberry, then the first moto droid, Htc sensation and currently use an Htc amaze. I used to root my phones but hated all the bugs in android. I have 4 windows pcs and refuse to ever buy a Mac. I have also had two android tablets prior to trying the ipad.

My gf has the nexus and it is not better than the ipad mini IMO. The screen size difference is huge for web browsing. The mini resolution isn't a factor for me either. I hardly notice going from my retina ipad to the mini. The apps just run better on the iPads. My gf works for a major game developer and part of her job is playing games on both the android and iPads. She always tells me how much better the games run on iOS. This is most likely due the how fragmented android so is. My two favorite games by supercell aren't even made for android.

So those of you sitting on the fence, I urge you to actually try a mini and a nexus to see the difference. You can buy the mini and return it if you don't think it's worth it. As a user of both android and iOS, I never thought I would be writing a post in support of the evil apple. I'm a regular deal hunter and usually go for good deals but for me, iPads are worth the money. Everyone has different needs and for some an android will be good enough for much less. But do give both a chance and decide for yourself. Recognize that many posters here haven't owned both devices to give an unbiased opinion.

Apple stuff rarely goes on sale, but $30?

wilkinsonletitia said:   Apple stuff rarely goes on sale, but $30?

Do you have a better deal? If so, please post.

I think another factor is resale value. I bought an Ipad 2 a year ago from Micro Center on sale for $449. I just sold it on eBay for $330. Pretty amazing considering how easy it is to find a deal today on a new or refurb Ipad 2 for not much more.

My point is you could buy this, use it for 1-2 years, and probably only be out $100. Just in time to repeat with the next gen model. I'm not sure this scenario plays out as well with other tablet manufacturers.

Those of you who own macbook pros know exactly what I'm talking about.

shastada said:   Considering its B&M only you end up paying tax. Getting from Amazon at 'Full price' versus this at 10% off + 7-8% tax isn't much cheaper at all.

If in NJ, MicroCenter is in one of those Low Tax zones to encourage business. Only 3%

I wonder how long they will continue to hold their resale value as both Apple and Android come out with new models on short cycles. I would sell mine in a New York minute for a touch more than that. I bought a 32GB ipad 3 for the screen quality and found that as long as you are happy being controlled by Apple the user experience is nice. The problem for most knowledgeable Android and Intel users is they know how to tweak the capabilities of the component they are using and when they run into the arbitrary wall Apple imposes on it's users it grates them. Frankly as beautiful as the screen is if I had to do it all over again.... I would not. I have not checked out the Nexus 10 so have no reference to go off of but I need to be in control (so mine is jailbroken and using XBMC runs 1080p on all 4 cores. I wonder why Apple deliberatly limited any video not recorded to 'their' .mp4 spec to only use two cores? Very big brother.)

Control as in "if I wish to play a 1080p .mkv file then it will play without stuttering." (Which it does ONLY in XBMC). Control as in "watching a video review posted on any site (not youtube) that's in flash and having it play WITHOUT it having to be streamed through some transcoding process that lowers the viewing quality and delays the start time."(Nothing available on jailbreak to solve that)

The ipad mini is fine for what it is. And 30.00 off will pay the taxes on it. Good deal for a quality hardware product but closed O/S.

kvlou said:   I think another factor is resale value. I bought an Ipad 2 a year ago from Micro Center on sale for $449. I just sold it on eBay for $330. Pretty amazing considering how easy it is to find a deal today on a new or refurb Ipad 2 for not much more.

My point is you could buy this, use it for 1-2 years, and probably only be out $100. Just in time to repeat with the next gen model. I'm not sure this scenario plays out as well with other tablet manufacturers.

Yep, resale value of Apple remains sky high. Try getting 50% even from an Android or Windows, good luck. You get what you pay for.

cpabster said:   kvlou said:   I think another factor is resale value. I bought an Ipad 2 a year ago from Micro Center on sale for $449. I just sold it on eBay for $330. Pretty amazing considering how easy it is to find a deal today on a new or refurb Ipad 2 for not much more.

Yep, resale value of Apple remains sky high. Try getting 50% even from an Android or Windows, good luck. You get what you pay for.

But you're usually paying at least 30% less to begin with vs. Apple if u wait over a couple months for a sale. And no, You do not 'get what you pay for' if you know how to shop to begin with. Apple uses quality parts , has a superior (Samsung made?) screen but runs a step or two behind on bleeding edge use of the hardware because they want their users to have a great experience without issues. And that comes at the price of limitations imposed on all end users.

Mods. Please delete double post

eoniverse said:   
But you're usually paying at least 30% less to begin with vs. Apple if u wait over a couple months for a sale. And no, You do not 'get what you pay for' if you know how to shop to begin with. Apple uses quality parts , has a superior (Samsung made?) screen but runs a step or two behind on bleeding edge use of the hardware because they want their users to have a great experience without issues. And that comes at the price of limitations imposed on all end users.

So...you get what you pay for, like I said. If you want rock bottom price go with a Nexus. If you want a real tablet with much better build quality and a superior ecosystem, you go with Apple.

There's really no reason to care what anyone else buys. What's with the herd mentality here? Buy what you like and what best fits your needs. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Product support should also be considered. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Nexus 7 wouldn't turn back on after using it for 2 hours. Many users mentioned that I could try prying off the back cover and jiggling the battery cable. WHAT??? Asus can't even have the battery cable connected properly? Needless to say, I wasn't going to pry off the cover so that I might not be able to return it if that failed. MacMall at first told me now that it was an Asus problem and to return it to them. Asus told me to go back to MacMall, but then relented and told me it would take a minimum of 2 weeks to just look at it. Believe me, they were not helpful at all. Finally went back to MacMall and they gave me a refund. Now, I have no experience in calling Apple for support, but I haven't heard that they are not cooperative, and at least you can go to their "Genius Bars" for problems. I guess this might not matter to some that pay so little for their Android device that they might consider it a throwaway item.

sealed system = superior ecosystem? Really? I do suppose. If you're a mindless drone. Whatever....

Mitch said:   Product support should also be considered. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Nexus 7 wouldn't turn back on after using it for 2 hours. Many users mentioned that I could try prying off the back cover and jiggling the battery cable. WHAT??? Asus can't even have the battery cable connected properly? Needless to say, I wasn't going to pry off the cover so that I might not be able to return it if that failed. MacMall at first told me now that it was an Asus problem and to return it to them. Asus told me to go back to MacMall, but then relented and told me it would take a minimum of 2 weeks to just look at it. Believe me, they were not helpful at all. Finally went back to MacMall and they gave me a refund. Now, I have no experience in calling Apple for support, but I haven't heard that they are not cooperative, and at least you can go to their "Genius Bars" for problems. I guess this might not matter to some that pay so little for their Android device that they might consider it a throwaway item.

It's a great point and a major consideration. Apple stands behind their products.

eoniverse said:   sealed system = superior ecosystem? Really? I do suppose. If you're a mindless drone. Whatever....

I'm not so sure that the sign of an intelligent, free person is which type of tablet they own. Do you really think it is? Is your self-identity that tied to what you buy?

slickdeal45 said:   eoniverse said:   sealed system = superior ecosystem? Really? I do suppose. If you're a mindless drone. Whatever....

I'm not so sure that the sign of an intelligent, free person is which type of tablet they own. Do you really think it is? Is your self-identity that tied to what you buy?

"You're" as in people who believe lack of choice/options is superior. Was not referring to you or to myself (since I do own an ipad....just this once.) or to anyone in particular. Mindless is too harsh and too general. No. Not 'THE' sign of intelligence. Perhaps it's just a clue.

eoniverse said:   "You're" as in people who believe lack of choice/options is superior. Was not referring to you or to myself (since I do own an ipad....just this once.) or to anyone in particular. Mindless is too harsh and too general. No. Not 'THE' sign of intelligence. Perhaps it's just a clue.

It's all just marketing. If you believe it, it's worked. For whatever reason, anonymous people are often far too invested in the choices of others.

It's a sports fan mentality adopted by geeks. Just like with overly zealous sports fans, it's a plan to separate people from their money by attempting to create an emotional attachment to a product.

I got Best Buy to price match over the phone speaking to customer support on Friday. They did call to check availability but Micro Center wouldn't give him that info but said web site showing 6 left at that time was accurate.

picked up one at the Microcenter in Houston -- 45 in stock when I got mine. Only good on the black iPad mini 16gb wifi model. Pretty decent deal considering Amazon now collects Texas sales tax, and free shipping (well, minus the gas to get there and back). Nice little thing -- I have an iPad 2 and this is loads faster. Thanks for posting the deal, OP - green for you

robby69 said:   GWBush said:   There's your problem right there. Neither devices were optimized for the "user experience". Try a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It's super responsive, like butter.

But ALL of the iOS devices are responsive, versus select Android..
I tried the Galaxy Note 2, hoping the larger screen would help my 50-year old eyes, but alas while the touchscreen on the Galaxy Note 2 was good, it still seemed like I was "pressing" the screen rather than "touching" the screen. I am not a "fanboy" either, just describing my struggles to "like" both OS Gui's

You not being able to send a PDF attachment via email is a little misleading.. It takes an extra step to attach a PDF to an email if you are responding. But with Apps to go and ibooks, you can easily attach a pdf to an original email with little fuss.

You are completely missing the point, but then again, that's to be expected so I'll explain it in more plain language for the fanboiz: Apple made sure in software that the iOS appeared responsive to the user by making it the highest priority task *AND* purposely not allowed multi-tasking until only very recently due to people discovering the truth (more that they are finding better alternatives). Competition is good. Because of Android, Apple is being force to make changes to the iOS/iDevices that they would never had done but for the fact that there are competition. Having a viable competition is to be celebrated but I digress. So now there is limited multi-tasking thanks to Android. But just think, in the 21st century, multi-tasking on a multi-core platform is not just a luxury, it's the honorable thing to do. But if you're fan of uncle Steve, you are blinded by it either through sheer charisma of a brilliant marketer or maybe you will just never get it. Either case, it's not for everyone. Stay with your choice, be happy. Ignoring truth has its charms. I understand that and it is okay. The only reason I even waste any time or thought on it is that hopefully some will see the light while other will simply chose to ignore truth to keep their reality distortion fields up. I will use every device as long as it suits me, not because of blind allegiance to any person or manufacturer and love the fact that the price comes down because there are more competition. Back to the original thread, the mini only exist today because other Android devices blazed the trail. Counter-intuitive? Yes, but non-fanboiz should be able to discern it.

breaux124 said:   robby69 said:   I love the Android concept, but try as I may I find myself going back my Apple products more. I have both cheap and expensive Android tablets, including a repurposed HP Touchpad to cyanogenmod and a Viewsonic 22" Android tablet.

I've got an iPad 1, iPad 4, Samsung Tab 2 7", and Nexus 7.
The pixel density of the iPad 4 is much better than the Samsung, but not noticeably better than the nexus 7. Because of the wide codec support of the Android tablets, simple network sharing/navigation, file system access, I find myself using them more and more instead of the iPad. Add in the fact my Nexus 7 was $228 for 32GB, I'm seeing less and less of a reason to spend more money for an Apple product. Give the Nexus tablets a shot and I think you will be very happy.

Yeah too bad that Nexus 7 doesnt support shockwave because Google is too cheap to give Adobe a couple bucks to support Android 4.1 or .2!
And why the hell is the speaker facing the back of the device. What was that Google engineer smoking?

dkd711 said:   robby69 said:   I love the Android concept, but try as I may I find myself going back my Apple products more. I have both cheap and expensive Android tablets, including a repurposed HP Touchpad to cyanogenmod and a Viewsonic 22" Android tablet.

3 Times as responsive? Thats about how overpriced Apple stuff is.

The Nexus 7 is $199, this Ipad mini is $299. The touchscreen needn't be 3 times as responsive. Only 50% more which it is easily.

NENSC said:   Meh.. i'm pretty much done with Apple. Might try samsung products going foward. Kinda got tired of getting raped with Apples prices, O and Itunes sucks.

Its not Apple's fault that you are poor. Not ours either. You have nobody to blame but yourself that you cannot afford quality (Apple) products. Have fun with your Android stuff.

Seriously, act like adults. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages. For an iPad Mini, this is a good price. If you don't like the product, ignore the thread.

Animalrob37 said:   Yeah too bad that Nexus 7 doesnt support shockwave because Google is too cheap to give Adobe a couple bucks to support Android 4.1 or .2!
And why the hell is the speaker facing the back of the device. What was that Google engineer smoking?

Last time I check Apple wasn't exactly a big supporter of Adobe Flash, has something changed that I missed?
What Nexus 7 are you using? Mine has a slit on the bottom with sound coming from the bottom, very much like my iPads. I will give you that the Nexus 7's sound isn't as good, but I was considering doing the bubble wrap trick to fix the distortion.
Now my S3 does have it's speaker on the back, but it doesn't really bother me since it's loud enough.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014