• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
EXCEL 2800W Digital Compact Portable Power Generator @ Newegg - $499.99
compare at $563.99
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

EXCEL 2800W Digital Compact Portable Power Generator
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can anyone explain what a "digital" generator is? Does it put out power in 1s and 0s?

Even with the inverter that is one heck of an expensive generator ...

DUDSTER said:   Can anyone explain what a "digital" generator is? Does it put out power in 1s and 0s?

Yes, it puts out 1s and 0s. (It's either in the "on" state or the "off" state.)

Rather buy a Honda at that price

IgorSkovoroda said:   DUDSTER said:   Can anyone explain what a "digital" generator is? Does it put out power in 1s and 0s?

Yes, it puts out 1s and 0s. (It's either in the "on" state or the "off" state.)

Very informative post ...

DUDSTER said:   Can anyone explain what a "digital" generator is? Does it put out power in 1s and 0s?

(Edit) Price wise there's nothing wrong with this deal, it's just about unbeatable. Replacement parts or service could be a real issue though.

Who knows where these generators are from, probably China. Distributor "SHFT GLOBAL, INC DBA SPEEDSHOP" has strictly a 30 day return policy and not a mention of service or warranty. SHFT GLOBAL has a website (currently dysfunctional contact and company info) besides these storefront's on RakutenAKABuy.com and Newegg.
I buy from Newegg all the time, they are quick to ship, have excellent customer service and I've had zero disappointments with ANY of my purchases.

As with any outdoor equipment, proper care is key, always run the gas out when your done using it and remember gas containing Ethanol is death to rubber parts (e.g. carburetor and fuel pump) if left to set for a prolonged length of time. Gas Treatment may help but Ethanol Free or Pure Gasoline is best. (/Edit)

I'm not an electrical engineer by any means but I think what they mean by "Digital" they are referring to the "Digital Inverter/Sine Wave Power Factor cos 1.0 " found in the item description, hence "Power laptops, TV's, Stereo and more anywhere"

Cheap generators put out a rough or sharp sign wave signal and are only good for powering appliances like lighting, older refrigerators and freezers etc that are not made with solid state electronics.
With cheap generators you need to have a power conditioner that filters or smooths the signal for today's electronics and those are an added expense and can be expensive depending on the load you want to power.

I have an older Gen-Pro generator and when I was buying that over 10 years ago I learned a little bit about generators and with this protection you don't have to worry about burning up your expensive electronics during a power outage.

A generator this size is ideal for the occasional power outage and small enough you can take it just about anywhere you need it easily, low noise is a plus.

JetJam said:   Rather buy a Honda at that price

Can you provide a link for a 2800 watt Honda generator for $500?

My bad, meant "this then". Just hope it last like a Honda.

JetJam said:   My bad, meant "this then". Just hope it last like a Honda.

If you buy I would love to hear your thoughts, I've been eying these generators for a while but haven't done much as I don't see many reviews.

Pretty cool, the generator has a remote start. But considering the size of the generator, I question the 2800W output.
If you compare to Honda, Yamaha, and Subaru high wattage, suitcase inverter generators, this one is small in size. The video at Newegg says 2000 watt, and that seems reasonable for the size of the generator. But 2800 Watts?

osuuma said:   Pretty cool, the generator has a remote start. But considering the size of the generator, I question the 2800W output.
If you compare to Honda, Yamaha, and Subaru high wattage, suitcase inverter generators, this one is small in size. The video at Newegg says 2000 watt, and that seems reasonable for the size of the generator. But 2800 Watts?

They have at least 2 different models, the one in the video is smaller.

always run the gas out when your done using it and remember gas containing Ethanol is death to rubber parts (e.g. carburetor and fuel pump) if left to set for a prolonged length of time. Gas Treatment may help but Ethanol Free or Pure Gasoline is best. (/Edit)

wow, the nearest pure gas for me is about 100 miles away. I live in the DC metro area, seem like they all stay away from this horrible government.

WorkerAnt said:   always run the gas out when your done using it and remember gas containing Ethanol is death to rubber parts (e.g. carburetor and fuel pump) if left to set for a prolonged length of time. Gas Treatment may help but Ethanol Free or Pure Gasoline is best. (/Edit)

wow, the nearest pure gas for me is about 100 miles away. I live in the DC metro area, seem like they all stay away from this horrible government.

It sucks living in the US with all the crazy, over-reaching environmental laws. I'd much rather live where they don't control you, like here: http://goo.gl/t2049
(google images, safe for work)

I wouldn't be so quick to assume all the governmental regulations are done for the better. Regulations for additives like MTBE was supposed to be for pollution reduction also until they realized what it did to groundwater.

Ethanol and pollution

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.