staples: $0.01AC/Rewards 5-ream paper case

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I apologize if this is a repost.

Staples has the coupons out again and the 5-ream paper is a penny after coupon and rewards.

pdf is attached if needed (it has barcode)

thank you for reading

Staples
Need a Staples coupon that earns Up to 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Paper 4 a Penny
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Good morning!

Just wanted to get confirmation that I'm understanding this correctly... 100% after REWARDS (i.e. rewards, ... (more)

jonnyq (Mar. 24, 2013 @ 9:56a) |

yes
As long as you do not pay for them with Rewards. Any purchase for which you do not use Rewards as payment counts tow... (more)

my4mainecoons (Mar. 24, 2013 @ 10:04a) |

Pretty much any business with a copier or printer...

crhptic (Mar. 24, 2013 @ 1:22p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It looks like a coupon that discounts to $0.01, not rebate/reward. Or am I missing something?

Edit (from Staple's coupon page)
"Staple's 8.5 x 11 copy paper, 5-ream case. You pay $24.99 - $4.98 with coupon - $20 after Rewards = 1 cent

I'm not sure, as far as I know, the paper should be the one that's 4.99ARewards...

you're right, the coupon doesn't say it's for rewards, but might be straight out the door coupon to turn the paper 0.01

After rereading, I think it's after rewards since "it's like getting it for a penny" the wording is usually used for rewards items

I guess I'll find out this morning.

Thank you for pointing it out

VivYip said:   I'm not sure, as far as I know, the paper should be the one that's 4.99ARewards...

you're right, the coupon doesn't say it's for rewards, but might be straight out the door coupon to turn the paper 0.01

After rereading, I think it's after rewards since "it's like getting it for a penny" the wording is usually used for rewards items

I guess I'll find out this morning.

Thank you for pointing it out

It's the same as last month's except this one costs you 1 penny instead of 0. Pay $20.01 oop this month and get $20 in rewards check next month.

I cant store anymore paper! haha

VivYip said:   
thank you for reading

No, thank you for sharing.

niniss said:   this one costs you 1 penny instead of 0.

A penny plus $2.00 in sales tax (at least in my parts). But of course I guess that is understood with all rewards offers.

MrVietnam said:   niniss said:   this one costs you 1 penny instead of 0.

A penny plus $2.00 in sales tax (at least in my parts). But of course I guess that is understood with all rewards offers.

The trade-off is that redemptions with the rewards coupons eliminates tax on the amount of the coupon. So in effect you just pay tax once on a purchased product, but not on a redemption.

Please let me know if I am incorrect.

ljderm said:   MrVietnam said:   niniss said:   this one costs you 1 penny instead of 0.

The trade-off is that redemptions with the rewards coupons eliminates tax on the amount of the coupon. So in effect you just pay tax once on a purchased product, but not on a redemption.

Please let me know if I am incorrect.

No, you are absolutely correct. That is one thing that makes the Staples Rewards program superior to Office Depot's. At Office Depot you end up paying sales tax twice.

rewards are such a pain in the ass since you need to go back and buy something on a specific time window. Although I'm tempted at the price, if there was just something for $2 I know i'd need in a couple of months.

I just purchased the case of paper last week with -$5 for coupon and -$20 visa rebate, for $24.99. But I'll be taking that back today since this week they have the same price out the door with -$25 coupon. For me, this is an easier rebate and I don't have to deal with another stupid visa rebate card....

So for this one, i can pay with rewards I believe.

camar0 said:   I cant store anymore paper! haha

Donate it to your neighborhood school!

Tax write off and good karma.

tomprc said:   So for this one, i can pay with rewards I believe.No, fixed rewards are not rolling on this item. That was established when these first came out the first week of February. Not like the 10 ream case where rewards did roll last summer.

IamN41 said:   camar0 said:   I cant store anymore paper! haha

Do you ask the school to give you a receipt when you do this? How do you determine the value of the tax write-off, by the retail price?

RedSombrero said:   Do you ask the school to give you a receipt when you do this? How do you determine the value of the tax write-off, by the retail price?

Arguably, no. Or, maybe yes.

IRS tells you it is based on fair market value (see http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc506.html and http://www.irs.gov/publications/p561/index.html). One could argue fair market value is $25, while another could argue it's $0.01 (since "it's like paying a penny"). In any case, you should 1) be careful trying to "profit" off of donations from a tax perspective, and 2) don't get your tax advise off the Internet

jeffd said:   rewards are such a pain in the ass since you need to go back and buy something on a specific time window. Although I'm tempted at the price, if there was just something for $2 I know i'd need in a couple of months.

I just purchased the case of paper last week with -$5 for coupon and -$20 visa rebate, for $24.99. But I'll be taking that back today since this week they have the same price out the door with -$25 coupon. For me, this is an easier rebate and I don't have to deal with another stupid visa rebate card....
yeah, but the time 'window' is what, two and a half months for basic or almost six months for premier!! Hardly a hardship to stop at the store every two months, assuming you don't end up going before then for some other deal, like I always seem to.
As for the rebate cards, how are they any harder to use than a credit card?? Except specific places that have to verify a larger amount before you're charged, like at a gas station, I have no issues and use them all the time. And even at gas stations all you have to do is pay up front for the specific amount on your card by going inside. The only 'hardship' is just having to know how much you actually have on the card for those places that need to know the exact amount before they process the card.

IamN41 said:   camar0 said:   I cant store anymore paper! haha

Right off something you got for free?

Danzilla said:   jeffd said:   rewards are such a pain in the ass since you need to go back and buy something on a specific time window. Although I'm tempted at the price, if there was just something for $2 I know i'd need in a couple of months.

yeah, but the time 'window' is what, two and a half months for basic or almost six months for premier!! Hardly a hardship to stop at the store every two months, assuming you don't end up going before then for some other deal, like I always seem to.
As for the rebate cards, how are they any harder to use than a credit card?? Except specific places that have to verify a larger amount before you're charged, like at a gas station, I have no issues and use them all the time. And even at gas stations all you have to do is pay up front for the specific amount on your card by going inside. The only 'hardship' is just having to know how much you actually have on the card for those places that need to know the exact amount before they process the card.

RE:
The only 'hardship' is just having to know how much you actually have on the card for those places that need to know the exact amount before they process the card.

Thats what marking pens are for..

Danzilla said:   jeffd said:   rewards are such a pain in the ass since you need to go back and buy something on a specific time window. Although I'm tempted at the price, if there was just something for $2 I know i'd need in a couple of months.

RE:
As for the rebate cards, how are they any harder to use than a credit card??

I have never seen a Staples rebate offering a Visa card where you could not change it to a check.

While at Staples, do not forget the free after rewards duracells.

Always buy free after rewards items on a separate receipt.

yesidonoitall said:   While at Staples, do not forget the free after rewards duracells.

if one gets the duracells and the paper, keep them on seperate receipts since the coupon for the paper might be distributed onto the whole purchase, which would decrease the rewards from the batteries.

VivYip said:   yesidonoitall said:   While at Staples, do not forget the free after rewards duracells.

if one gets the duracells and the paper, keep them on seperate receipts since the coupon for the paper might be distributed onto the whole purchase, which would decrease the rewards from the batteries.

Yes...
Always buy free after rewards items on a separate receipt.

Is this a continuing deal (the $20 reward/half-ream w/ limit=2) or is it new (again) this week? I've done it twice in the past month, do I still qualify for the reward?

jeffd said:   rewards are such a pain in the ass since you need to go back and buy something on a specific time window. Although I'm tempted at the price, if there was just something for $2 I know i'd need in a couple of months.
Yep, I agree. Have not bought a single 5 ream since this started. 100% rewards items are fine IF you need the product or want to flip the product. Buying 100% rewards items add to my YTD spend for premier but then spending the rewards when issued does not. Double transactions required. Rather buy rebate products. Does anyone who is a Staples regular really need more paper? I have already donated 4 cases of paper this year purchased this year and have a case or more in storage.

pkp413 said:   Is this a continuing deal (the $20 reward/half-ream w/ limit=2) or is it new (again) this week? I've done it twice in the past month, do I still qualify for the reward?

this promotion is 2/week until 4/6

hope this helps

I have donated paper but I was also able to sell 5 cases to a local business, they had been paying $40 plus a case for paper.

Agree with the Rebate are more preferred than Rewards!

@ my Staples they have buy one case get one free? So could combine both promo?

coupon for $4.98 only went towards the paper, it didn't prorate to the batteries I bought on the same receipt. I did use a 10/75 app coupon, so that prorated across all items, but that means money maker on the $6.99 paper. I buy gift cards off the web for small discount to help pay for the tax also.

kirku said:   coupon for $4.98 only went towards the paper, it didn't prorate to the batteries I bought on the same receipt. I did use a 10/75 app coupon, so that prorated across all items, but that means money maker on the $6.99 paper. I buy gift cards off the web for small discount to help pay for the tax also.Receipt proration only matters for returns. When rewards gets a hold of it it will prorate across everything most likely.

mathfaster said:   jeffd said:   rewards are such a pain in the ass since you need to go back and buy something on a specific time window. Although I'm tempted at the price, if there was just something for $2 I know i'd need in a couple of months.
Yep, I agree. Have not bought a single 5 ream since this started. 100% rewards items are fine IF you need the product or want to flip the product. Buying 100% rewards items add to my YTD spend for premier but then spending the rewards when issued does not. Double transactions required. Rather buy rebate products. Does anyone who is a Staples regular really need more paper? I have already donated 4 cases of paper this year purchased this year and have a case or more in storage.

I only bought two of these half cases when I thought I could roll my rewards with them (and for some reason, it worked for me when it hasn't for anyone else.) Since then, I haven't bought any more. No way I need more paper. I buy two reams almost every week, and still have like 8 full cases in my garage. When we had the free after (expired) coupon + rebate cases a few weeks back, I bought them at the kiosk and had them shipped to my brothers.

I have donated alot of paper to small charities, I don't write it off but it feels good to give something back.

should explain better than my reply i hope
Disclaimer
kirku said:   coupon for $4.98 only went towards the paper, it didn't prorate to the batteries I bought on the same receipt. I did use a 10/75 app coupon, so that prorated across all items, but that means money maker on the $6.99 paper. I buy gift cards off the web for small discount to help pay for the tax also.

The receipt will not show any proration(?) but when you look at the rewards for that purchase later, you might see the rewards for the batteries be fine (since it's supposed to be 100%) they'll look as if they're decreased, but technically 100%. However, you paper will look as if you're "paying" more for the paper. (i'm attaching the lysol/paper purchase image as an example.. if it makes sense...the coupon was 4.99/paper, but it got prorated in the rewards)

camar0 said:   I cant store anymore paper! haha

Yup. I'm not touching this. I only do paper if it's free after rebate at Staples. I'll do free after rewards at OfficeMax to roll rewards but that's all.

I teach in a high school in Manhattan and our school provides only 2 reams per month. I use at least that much in a week. (Most students don't know how to take notes, take too long to copy, can't reproduce diagrams with fidelity, etc. And these are near top students in the city.) Long story short, I don't have too much paper, yet. Two cases at home, and almost one case in school as of now.

mathfaster said:   tomprc said:   So for this one, i can pay with rewards I believe.No, fixed rewards are not rolling on this item. That was established when these first came out the first week of February. Not like the 10 ream case where rewards did roll last summer.

why is that?

ImagineNoHell said:   I teach in a high school in Manhattan and our school provides only 2 reams per month. I use at least that much in a week.

10K+ annually to educate a kid and the schooling doesn't come with paper?! That's worse than a laptop with no HDMI.

VivYip said:   kirku said:   coupon for $4.98 only went towards the paper, it didn't prorate to the batteries I bought on the same receipt. I did use a 10/75 app coupon, so that prorated across all items, but that means money maker on the $6.99 paper. I buy gift cards off the web for small discount to help pay for the tax also.

The receipt will not show any proration(?) but when you look at the rewards for that purchase later, you might see the rewards for the batteries be fine (since it's supposed to be 100%) they'll look as if they're decreased, but technically 100%. However, you paper will look as if you're "paying" more for the paper. (i'm attaching the lysol/paper purchase image as an example.. if it makes sense...the coupon was 4.99/paper, but it got prorated in the rewards)
Same exact thing happened to me with the paper and lysol wipes. I had to call Staples Rewards and they mailed me check for the $2 difference (you can choose snail mail or email), but it had a short expiration (about 2 weeks IIRC!). So even with rewards, you have to be careful if you're using one of these coupons. Even if they are for a specific item, it will still distribute to all the other items in your purchase, including other rewards items and you'll get shorted the rewards amount for those items.

ImagineNoHell said:   I teach in a high school in Manhattan and our school provides only 2 reams per month. I use at least that much in a week. (Most students don't know how to take notes, take too long to copy, can't reproduce diagrams with fidelity, etc. And these are near top students in the city.) Long story short, I don't have too much paper, yet. Two cases at home, and almost one case in school as of now.You're lucky you get anything, my wife teaches in the Bronx and they give her nothing (I think they might have given her 1 ream of legal paper last year). Luckily its special ed so her class is small, else we'd be going through paper like nuts. I guess 2 reams per month is the difference between Manhattan and the Bronx, lol.

Skipping 10 Messages...
MysteriousGirl said:   Thistle52 said:   I have donated paper but I was also able to sell 5 cases to a local business, they had been paying $40 plus a case for paper.

What sort of business apart from schools would be needing so much of paper? Is that a school that u sell to ?

Pretty much any business with a copier or printer...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014