• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Picked up new (still in the box) Honda HRX217HYA for $499 at Home Depot. It was held over from last year. They are not selling this model in the store this year and had this about Three other mowers (variuos brands: Lawn Boy, MTD, Toro) on the floor for clearance. The manager said they started out with about eight hondas today. I got the last one in the box. They had another one that was assembled (floor model). Great deal on a great mower. Checked the website and they are still listed at $699. A number of stores in the Indianapolis area still had them in the inventory.

Home Depot
See Home Depot promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

HRX217HYA
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks jlh2600.

Can anyone comment on the thumb drive?

Slickone (Jun. 07, 2013 @ 9:24a) |

With all due respect, that's a very uninformed statement.
There are Honda mowers from your $350.00 model up to about $1,2... (more)

Saving2GiveMore (Jun. 15, 2013 @ 5:05p) |

Are any still available?

borchmommrb (Jul. 28, 2013 @ 11:59p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

why are Hondas so expensive? Not trying to be negative on the deal, just would like to be educated on the value vs other mower. Thank you.

Perception (somewhat warranted) that the engine is of higher quality than other mowers.

I love finding deals like that, and being in the right place at the right time!

Big Daddy: I purchased this to replace my 15+ year old honda harmony. It still runs and I plan to sell it. So, when I calculate the cost over 10+ years, the deal starts to shine. I don't know if I would have purchased it at $699, but at $499 it seemed like a steal. If I remember right, this did not cost much more than what I paid for my old honda.

IMO Honda's are usually pretty good mowers. Quality components. But I think even they've been cutting corners/cost these days, well I noticed that 5 years ago or so when I was looking.

Would you put what it is in the subject line please? I wasn't sure if this was a car, a motorcycle or a generator...

e1d1 said:   IMO Honda's are usually pretty good mowers. Quality components. But I think even they've been cutting corners/cost these days, well I noticed that 5 years ago or so when I was looking.

Yep, bought one from Costco. MTD with Honda engine, stainless steel deck, to replace 16+yr old Honda mower. Was not happy when I found out it didn't have an oil drain plug. Got about 5 years out of it and rear wheel cracked. And it was not used like the first one, which was my only mower at the time. Loved that first Honda, sounded like a car engine running instead of a mower whaling away. Of course it was an MTD with a Honda engine. Will have to check at my local HD's. Any sku # to check inventory?

SKU: 0000-247-765

paid $350 for my honda mower 2 years ago. i fail to see how $500 is a hot/fat/slick deal.

Is this a mower with a drive shaft or a belt? This does have a blade clutch, which is very nice. I.e. you can keep the engine running and stop the blade. I have a commercial series honda mower from 1987 that it still running strong. I'm sure this is not to the same level, but it should be nice. Before buying this it may be a good idea to call your independent Honda mower dealer to see if they've got any closeouts. Honda has two series of engines GXV and GCV. GCV is what they sell at HomeDepot, The GXV is the commercial series. Those are much more reliable.

The key to the Honda mower is the deck design and not the engine. I got tired of fighting damp grass with my Toro, I borrowed a neighbors Honda and was amazed that it cut much better even if the grass was significantly higher. Great mowers!! Worth the extra money.

omarq said:   Is this a mower with a drive shaft or a belt? This does have a blade clutch, which is very nice. I.e. you can keep the engine running and stop the blade. I have a commercial series honda mower from 1987 that it still running strong. I'm sure this is not to the same level, but it should be nice. Before buying this it may be a good idea to call your independent Honda mower dealer to see if they've got any closeouts. Honda has two series of engines GXV and GCV. GCV is what they sell at HomeDepot, The GXV is the commercial series. Those are much more reliable.
From what I remember reading on some of the mower forums, the blade clutch goes out fairly often on these. Also the drive shafts. And seems they're expensive parts(?).

And I think they said the same thing you did, that Honda's commercial mowers are good, but the residential ones aren't much better than any other. So I'm having a hard time paying over $400 for one, but the only ones with speed control but without the crazy thumb throttle levers are the more expensive models, like the one in the OP.

Outstanding mower. Many pros even choose these over honda's commercial push models.

Can't imagine a cleaner cut, leaves nothing behind even at low to zero percent bagging, has the easiest bag system (taking on/off & the versamow knob), the hydrostatic cruise control system is foolproof (in researching i found you'll have to replace a belt at some point, but no problems so far), it runs really smooth & quiet, and my favorite thing about it is its ergonomics- not only nice controls & comfortable to operate, but especially if you're taller than 6' none of the other mowers' handles (apart from snapper) adjust high enough. These go plenty high. I'm super happy with it even at regular price. Just don't get the version with the thumb tabs on the handle, instead of the cruise control.

The only nitpicks were no side discharge, but will only be a limitation in the tallest/wettest grass, no cheating if you can't mulch/bag through it. & there is some resistance if you pull backwards on it even when it's out of gear, if you do a lot of back & forth action around obstacles. Not a huge deal though, knew that going in, & am still glad I got it despite both. If those are dealbreakers, snapper is also really tall & powerful, wihtout those issues, but not put together as well or as smooth a machine.

Highly recommended, especially at this price. Good find OP. Going to check it out.

The Honda motors are good, but you can get 10 years out of a B&S motor too. The real benefit is the quality of the deck and design. Don't buy a third party mower with a Honda engine, you're paying more and not getting the best benefits of the Honda mower.

This is a solid mower...unless you live on a hill. Self propel mowers are heavy and not made for steep hills. You can also buy a lightly used one off Cragslist for under $250. That is how I usually buy mine. Engines are pretty solid on these.

i was at Sam's Club couple hours ago. they have Honda Mower on the floor, 15 of them. priced at $299. i don't know the model number.

Looks like people are confusing a mower with a honda engine for a honda mower. Vastly different. The honda mowers are available in several incarnations, from commercial to residential. They're very nice mowers, and work much better than the chinese-made stamped deck with holes for an engine mount.

Anyone remember the old Snapper mowers? The ones that neatly pushed all your clippings into the bag? This Honda is the next best thing.

Still $699 at my store....what is weird is all of the other stores within at least a 100 mile radius have 0 stock and this local store has over 20 in stock, where it used to have only a few. Obviously they have shifted all the stock here for some reason. I'll keep an eye on the price as this is the mower I had planned on purchasing and $499 would be great!

I would ask the manager to see if they would make a price adjustment. One recenlty showed up on eBay. I am sure if they keep up the clearance more will show up.

Never mind, mine was the HXA not HYA ..... that I just paid $360 for at H.D.

This thread is a perfect example of why not everyone should rate deals. Several ignorant statements that show an obvious lack of understanding of the product. The OP gave the model number. Google it before you hand out red. If you don't understand why this is a good deal, google or don't contribute.

Hey MisterEd! Please post the Home Depot 6-digit SKU. Thanks.

honda
Disclaimer
peebody01 said:   Hey MisterEd! Please post the Home Depot 6-digit SKU. Thanks. Here

Edit: The reason code for the extra 10% was for "slow seller."

Thanks MisterEd. Will be interesting if I can replicate locally. Shows $599 on the website and several of the local stores show multiple ones in stock. You got yourself a great deal, congrats!

BMRisko said:   Still $699 at my store....what is weird is all of the other stores within at least a 100 mile radius have 0 stock and this local store has over 20 in stock, where it used to have only a few. Obviously they have shifted all the stock here for some reason. I'll keep an eye on the price as this is the mower I had planned on purchasing and $499 would be great!

The inventory at my local store just increased by 6...they are up to almost 30 in-stock now, still at $699!

OP says this model isn't being sold in the stores, so I assume it has to be bought online. Checked online just for kicks but every store says it's not sold there. Besides, the price shows up $699.

jlh2600 said:   
the hydrostatic cruise control system is foolproof (in researching i found you'll have to replace a belt at some point, but no problems so far)

How long have you had yours? Some people have to replace the hydrostatic transmission, which looks like it costs about $300. Text
"Honda knows it has a problem with this trans. We are a Honda dealer and if the customer is not a jerk we get about 85% of the repair covered under warranty.
Cost to R&R, parts and labor. 300.00."

Kind of reminds me of Honda cars. In the past, they've known about certain problems (like transmissions), but isn't quick to correct the problem and often won't help the customers having the issue. I have a Honda car.
I don't have a Honda mower, but have called the Honda mower customer service for info, and they were jerks. I called Toro and they were very friendly and helpful.

But even the non-hydrostatic Honda transmissions have/had problems. Text
"I have been informed by an authorized Honda repair facility that it will cost me $300 to have the transmission replaced on my five year old $499 Honda walk behind mower."
"By the way this is a common problem with these mowers. Great engines, but weak trannys."

FYI, I don't think Honda actually makes the transmissions, and hydrostatic trannys in other mowers have problems too. Just google "mower hydrostatic transmission problems".

See reviews for a different Honda mower here. But be aware that most of the reviews are made when the mowers are still new or fairly new.
"The main problem I have had is with the blade-brake clutch. After a short period of use (1 mowing season)the blade refused to stay engaged while mowing. Adjustment was unsuccessful. Repair was made by an "authorized service Department" and the same problem repeated."

"Many customers complain about the Roto-Stop Blade Brake Clutch (BBC) that is so sensitive, over some usage, the user will eventually not be able to mow their lawn due to either the blades not engaging and/or will disengage the blades many times during a mowing. I had to have the original Roto-Stop replaced by the Honda dealer in order to be able to use the HRR216VXA again.
Apparently, Honda is well aware of this problem as they replaced it for FREE...without having issued an official product recall. "

The mower in the OP has a 5 year warranty, so I guess you're at least good until then.

my mower is about 15 years old, Harmony model, BBC has been perfect, but tranny has been replaced twice, and needs a third one. Too good to toss out, but not usable, so sitting in storage awaiting my chance to change tranny.

Slickone said:   OP says this model isn't being sold in the stores, so I assume it has to be bought online. Checked online just for kicks but every store says it's not sold there. Besides, the price shows up $699.

jlh2600 said:   
the hydrostatic cruise control system is foolproof (in researching i found you'll have to replace a belt at some point, but no problems so far)

How long have you had yours? Some people have to replace the hydrostatic transmission, which looks like it costs about $300. Text
"Honda knows it has a problem with this trans. We are a Honda dealer and if the customer is not a jerk we get about 85% of the repair covered under warranty.
Cost to R&R, parts and labor. 300.00."

Kind of reminds me of Honda cars. In the past, they've known about certain problems (like transmissions), but isn't quick to correct the problem and often won't help the customers having the issue. I have a Honda car.
I don't have a Honda mower, but have called the Honda mower customer service for info, and they were jerks. I called Toro and they were very friendly and helpful.

But even the non-hydrostatic Honda transmissions have/had problems. Text
"I have been informed by an authorized Honda repair facility that it will cost me $300 to have the transmission replaced on my five year old $499 Honda walk behind mower."
"By the way this is a common problem with these mowers. Great engines, but weak trannys."

FYI, I don't think Honda actually makes the transmissions, and hydrostatic trannys in other mowers have problems too. Just google "mower hydrostatic transmission problems".

See reviews for a different Honda mower here. But be aware that most of the reviews are made when the mowers are still new or fairly new.
"The main problem I have had is with the blade-brake clutch. After a short period of use (1 mowing season)the blade refused to stay engaged while mowing. Adjustment was unsuccessful. Repair was made by an "authorized service Department" and the same problem repeated."

"Many customers complain about the Roto-Stop Blade Brake Clutch (BBC) that is so sensitive, over some usage, the user will eventually not be able to mow their lawn due to either the blades not engaging and/or will disengage the blades many times during a mowing. I had to have the original Roto-Stop replaced by the Honda dealer in order to be able to use the HRR216VXA again.
Apparently, Honda is well aware of this problem as they replaced it for FREE...without having issued an official product recall. "

The mower in the OP has a 5 year warranty, so I guess you're at least good until then.

The "text" you are referring to for non-hydrostatic problems is from 2008. Kind of a stretch for 2013 isn't it?

Different models are being sold at various Home Depots in certain areas. They have them in Paramus NJ for $699. Each store carries (and SOME are clearing out) 1 of the 2 HRX models. Just got mine (last one) in Union NJ new for $360. It was the HRX without the hydro-xmission. Another nearby store has them on clearance for $499 and another has it for $639. Go figure. Oh, Honda is offering a 1 year extension of the the 5yr warranty if you register it online this season.

Many problems that might come up are really not that hard to fix yourself, I bought a Service/Repair manual right after I bought my mower, it was like Step 2...and yes it came in handy. (look for Shop Manuals under Service and Support on Honda's site, bottom of page)
(edit) I don't have a Honda mower, the front lockable caster wheels weren't available in the price range I was trying to stay in.
The John Deere JS45 that I bought at Lowes was a pretty good mower too, I'm still happy with it. After about 3 years the transaxle needed replacing. It was about $50, I also replaced the wheel bearings, l wash it after every use and the bearings were rusted (I've been planning to drill a bolt and install a zirk fitting for a periodic maintenance set up). The fronts were available at my local hardware store and the rear were about $5 from Deere. I saved about $300, probably more for the bearings. I'm fortunate to have mechanical experience, I know not everyone are as lucky.(/edit)

(edit_2) The wheels are plastic for just about any push mower these days, replacing the bearings are a cinch, try your local hardware store first, bring in the old one. Important to note that not all push mowers have bearings, Ball or Roller Bearings are good, Sleeve Bearings are not so good, no bearings are not; nor are nylon bushings where metal bushings should be!!!; the mower will gradually not track straight and require additional effort just to make a strait line across the yard and wheel replacement will only correct it. For the rear on the transaxle drive shaft, bearing may be held with a snap ring for each side and snap ring pliers are a good investment, I finally bought the best set they had at Harbor Freight, don't bother with the universal set, they are too much trouble. I don't use them enough to buy a professional set.(/edit_2)

I just used the picture of MisterEd's receipt (couple of posts above) at two local Home Depots in GA trying to get a price match. The first manager said he could not match an out of state Home Depot because of regional sales differences and cost of living. The second manager said OK. He wouldn't match the extra 10% off for a "slow sale" but I still got the Honda HRX21VKA for $399+tax. I had my two small kids with me who were running around and playing with all the machines, so maybe that helped a little. Original price in the store was $599. THANK YOU.

MisterEd said:   
The "text" you are referring to for non-hydrostatic problems is from 2008. Kind of a stretch for 2013 isn't it?

Not at all. For example, Honda cars have the same problems (transmissions, engine) for many years.
Likely, that's just how long it usually takes before the mower transmissions go out. Check back in 5 years and I'd bet you'll see a lot of failures for these 2012 models.

These are still $699 at the one HD that carries them here in StL. Interestingly enough the newer 217 model with key start is &679. I also found last years HRX216 for $239 at another HD marked down from $439.

Still $699 in UT

I just tried to get a price match on the deal MisterEd got above: the HRX217VKA going from $599 down to $399 (he also got another 10% off that I wasn't trying to get). I printed out the receipt and tried three Home Depots here in Dallas, Texas. The first one seemed to give it serious thought--the manager even called the New Jersey Home Depot shown on the receipt to see if it was legitimate. The receipt was legit, but he couldn't match the price. At the next two Home Depots they basically dismissed it out of hand. I gave up.

My old Honda Harmony's three-speed transmission gave out. I really like the non-steel deck on my old mower, so I was hoping to get the HRX217VKA at a price I could afford. I may now fall back to getting the HRR216K9VKA with the steel deck; I would hope that if it is listed at $399 it might not be too hard to get it for $350.

arollin said:   The Honda motors are good, but you can get 10 years out of a B&S motor too. The real benefit is the quality of the deck and design. Don't buy a third party mower with a Honda engine, you're paying more and not getting the best benefits of the Honda mower. I got 20-25 years out of B&S powered no-name mower I got from Bradlees, finally got rid of it because I didn't feel like fixing the rust through holes in it and I was moving out of state. Taking decent care of the mower will go a long, long way-too many people don't do any service until it's broken.

Husqvarna 7021P very hot lawn mower selling in this years 2013 its price range of about $299.00. it is ideal for smaller yards
Features
Features an ergonomically operating handle
side discharge and mulch make this lawn mower a 3 in 1 grass cutting machine
read more here

bigdaddy007 said:   why are Hondas so expensive? Not trying to be negative on the deal, just would like to be educated on the value vs other mower. Thank you.

I have had my Honda Lawn Mower for 15 years only in the shop 2 times to sharpen the blade $10.
Starts first pull every time winter or summer.
I love Hondas ( I also have a Honda Accord And Honda Pilot )....

I have this mower, it's amazing.. I take the bag off and it mulches everything to a fine dust

Skipping 16 Messages...
Are any still available?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014