• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
Disclaimer
ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS $49.99 F/S

Use discount code EMCXTVW22 for price, must be an Egg suscriber.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252

Rebate Form

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

i haven't been down the optical drive aisles for a long time but am in need now. Slightly off-topic but what is the best performing BD-ROM drive for the $$$ ? The price on this deal seems to be in-line w/ the higher end BD-ROM/read-only drives and I know some less expensive, poorer performing BD-ROM drives go on sale for less periodically.

a little off topic, does anyone know where white faceplates/bezels can be bought for optical drives now?

cbkcc100 said:   a little off topic, does anyone know where white faceplates/bezels can be bought for optical drives now?

Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM PST
(excluding weekends and / or holidays)

Phone Number: 510-791-3705
Email: estore@asus.com

$20 rebate. Wait if you don't need to burn yet. These will go down further.

Have on luv it. Its just a rebadged lite-on. I cross flashed mine with lite-on's newest firmware. Lite-on updates there firmware more often.

fayd said:   Have on luv it. Its just a rebadged lite-on. I cross flashed mine with lite-on's newest firmware. Lite-on updates there firmware more often.

How is the noise on this drive? My current blu-ray burner works fine, but everything else in my HTPC is silent, but the current optical drive is extremely noisy!

ablang said:   $20 rebate. Wait if you don't need to burn yet. These will go down further.
I think the probability of that is low.

tobyttu said:   ablang said:   $20 rebate. Wait if you don't need to burn yet. These will go down further.

They will inevitably go down in price. Just as CD Burners did, just as DVD Burners did. Eventually they will get down to that low 20ish price which is closer to the actual material cost of the drive. I am sure there is licensing costs etc which also eventually go away.

leprechanmonkie said:   tobyttu said:   ablang said:   $20 rebate. Wait if you don't need to burn yet. These will go down further.

They will inevitably go down in price. Just as CD Burners did, just as DVD Burners did. Eventually they will get down to that low 20ish price which is closer to the actual material cost of the drive. I am sure there is licensing costs etc which also eventually go away.

while the general consensus is that yes, they will continue getting lower, dvd burners didn't hit sub-$20 until relatively recently, which was like almost a decade since they were first available. this particular drive is extremely popular although well over a year old, and has held steady at this price plus or minus $10 once in a while depending on coupon codes coinciding with discounts, always at Newegg.

i also crossflashed the drive to the lite-on ihbs-112 2, took me quite a while to google but finally found this extremely helpful post: http://club.myce.com/f87/how-upgrade-your-asus-bw-12b1st-liteon-ihbs112-2-a-331630/. worked great previously under windows 7, just fine under windows 8, with imgburn.

as for noise levels, it's not particularly quiet although i haven't looked for any drive speed limiters. also the smarterase utility acts up sometimes after burning and leaves me unable to erase a botched disc. other than that, been running like a champ! burned verbatim azo dvd+r, verbatim printable non-azo dvd-r, and rosewill bd-r, quality scanned great, and played all varieties of old and new blu-rays (although i haven't tried 3d, as i have a standalone player for that).

edit: also, if you don't need burning but want lightscribe (say in a dual-drive instance), this lg is the same price: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0R4-000B-00001

leprechanmonkie said:   fayd said:   Have on luv it. Its just a rebadged lite-on. I cross flashed mine with lite-on's newest firmware. Lite-on updates there firmware more often.

How is the noise on this drive? My current blu-ray burner works fine, but everything else in my HTPC is silent, but the current optical drive is extremely noisy!

Not bad. It isn't totally silent. My fans in my cmputer make more noise sometimes then the drive. Alot of times I rip it and make a image and watch him it with that.

Could this be used in an external drive case?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014