• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Western Digital Red 2TB IntelliPower Internal Hard Drive @ Newegg - $99.99 after Coupon
was $149.99
Free Shipping!
Expires On: Mar 26, 2013 11:59pm

Coupons
EMCYTZT3136

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Western Digital Red 2TB IntelliPower Internal Hard Drive
Thanks byakuya07
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A good price at a glance, but there are twice as many 1-star reviews as 4-star reviews of it at NE. Maybe if I had some data I didnt like, I'd bite on this deal.

WTF is the difference between the colors? This is red, others are black, and yet some are fuschia ?

My 2$contribution, i am sure you can g00gle it:
Black is toward performance, fast data tranfer, managment. = gaming orientation
Green is for basic storage, efficienty, low power = storage
Blue is classic data managment, most of the time use in laptop. = classic, laptop
Red is to mass storage, raid, nas = server

I tried but there wasn't a comprehensive explanation like you just gave. really though, I want every trait listed individually to be in every one of my drives. My NAS is used for storage as well as video streaming.

zapy said:   I tried but there wasn't a comprehensive explanation like you just gave. really though, I want every trait listed individually to be in every one of my drives. My NAS is used for storage as well as video streaming.

red or green are my choices for movies, music, pics... I have about 8 greens, so far so good.
For gaming and other applications, ssd is the best choice. 250gb should allow you OS + office + 5 to 10 games + random softwares.
As a basic end user, any name brand ssd should do it. I dont do benchmark, testing, just normal user.

Great drive for home NAS units and RAID arrays. I have four of these drives doing very well in a 3ware 9650 array.

If you buy 2+ (likely if you're building a NAS) then you save an extra $8 per drive.

I am currently using aWHS (Windows Home Server) from H P. It is humming along fine with a 3tb external plus the 500gb internal it came with. i am looking to get up to three additional internals. I am thinking two 2TB drives ad leaving a bay open so if something goes wrong or I want/need to replace a drive I could use the open slot and possibly transfer the data from the existing drive. Once that was done I would have another open bay.

Thoughts ? 3TB is probaby more than enough storage and I fugure 2x2TB would get me future proofed so to speak. BTW, the drives in this WHS are set up for mirroring so if a drive goes I'm covered by the redundancy within the WHS.

zapy said:   I am currently using aWHS (Windows Home Server) from H P. It is humming along fine with a 3tb external plus the 500gb internal it came with. i am looking to get up to three additional internals. I am thinking two 2TB drives ad leaving a bay open so if something goes wrong or I want/need to replace a drive I could use the open slot and possibly transfer the data from the existing drive. Once that was done I would have another open bay.

Thoughts ? 3TB is probaby more than enough storage and I fugure 2x2TB would get me future proofed so to speak. BTW, the drives in this WHS are set up for mirroring so if a drive goes I'm covered by the redundancy within the WHS.

It all depends on how you use your storage. I had an HP 3drive WHS but swapped out to a home built solution with 5x3TB in Raid 5 with a hot spare ( can run 12 drives total) and I'm down to 1.25Tb as I tend to keep things.

blue: standard, 7200 rpm, 2 yr warranty
green: eco, intellipower, 2 yr warranty
red: NAS, intellipower, 3 yr warranty
black: performance, 7200 rpm, 5 yr warranty

zapy said:   I am currently using aWHS (Windows Home Server) from H P. It is humming along fine with a 3tb external plus the 500gb internal it came with. i am looking to get up to three additional internals. I am thinking two 2TB drives ad leaving a bay open so if something goes wrong or I want/need to replace a drive I could use the open slot and possibly transfer the data from the existing drive. Once that was done I would have another open bay.

WHS can only handle drives up to 2.1TB and which have 256 byte sectors. WD Reds have 4096 byte sectors aka Advanced Format. With some effort involving the use of another PC, one can format these drives to be used as pool drives though not as the system drive.

If your external drive is not set up to be a GPT drive or has partitions smaller than 2.1TB, I would recommend you read up about your exposure to data corruption.

WHS 2011 can handle Advanced Format drives just fine.

Good for backup, bad for computer. Intellipower is commonly tested to be about 5000-7200rpm. If you're looking for this to be a main harddrive, don't bother. It's slow. File transfer rates will take a long time.

Add DS212J Synology NAS Server and apply the code specified and it brings it down to $393.97. An awesome price!

Subtotal $443.97
Tax What's this? $0.00
Shipping $0.00
Promo Code -$50.00
Order Total $393.97

For some reason, the link is not working for me

That's not accurate, code expired yesterday.

Anyone know if I would benefit from the red drive vs. green using it with the Zyxel NAS320? At this point I'm unsure if it would even work in that box..

Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Anyone know if I would benefit from the red drive vs. green using it with the Zyxel NAS320? At this point I'm unsure if it would even work in that box..

I was thinking of getting the same Zyxel. How is it so far?

blueis300 said:   Hypnosis4u2nv said:   Anyone know if I would benefit from the red drive vs. green using it with the Zyxel NAS320? At this point I'm unsure if it would even work in that box..

I was thinking of getting the same Zyxel. How is it so far?

I like it, use it for streaming mostly with 2 external hard drives.. I have occasional freezes when I stream but I can't isolate whether it's the Zyxel, the hard drive, my WDlxTV player or somewhere on the network which is Gig-E.. I get about 23MB/s transfer speeds over the network (PC to NAS) which is close to USB2 speeds..

Doh, waited to buy today, assuming OP had gotten the expiration correct. Confirmed, coupon is dead now.

dzombek said:   That's not accurate, code expired yesterday.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014