• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive w/ Notebook and Desktop Installation Kit @ Rakuten.com Shopping (formerly Buy.com) - $147.00
was $269.99
Free Shipping!
Expires On: Mar 31, 2013 11:59pm

Add it to your cart to see the hidden price at final checkout

Sold by Beach Camera through Rakuten Marketplace

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping coupons that earn Up to 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive w/ Notebook and Desktop Installation Kit
Thanks Solipsist
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I like the Samsung brand.

However, I would rather spend $13 more for a Sandisk Ultra Plus 256.

Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 256GB

Both SSDs are low profile (7mm) and have very low power consumption (between .12 and .14 W)

However, the Sandisk has better write speed (Samsung up to 240MB/s vs Sandisk up to 445 MB/s) (This is on paper of course, maybe real life is different )

The Samsung 840 PRO is the one that competes against this Sandisk model.

Nete: The 256 GB version of the Sandist Ultra Plus is the one with good write speed. (The 128GB model is considerably slower)

I bought this SSD a few months ago. Outstanding performance. I use it as my OS drive for a new Dell XPS 8500, and bootup time is less than half a minute. Shutdown time is much less.

I used Apricorn linky to clone the OS from the spinning drive to the SSD, no problems. I recall that this may be the product used by Samsung. At any rate, the Samsung website shows Apricorn's cloning instructions.

If you buy this SSD, be sure to download and run Samsung's Magician software, which will let you update the SSD firmware as well as optimize the SSD for use in your computer. For example, it will disable the automatic defragging that takes place with Win 7 & 8, and which is bad for an SSD.

Also, although cloning instructions don't make this clear, be sure to unplug the original spinning drive before booting up the system with the new SSD and its cloned OS. Otherwise the computer may be confused about which OS to use.

As for Rakuten, you have to add the SSD to your cart, sign in, and work most of the way through the checkout process just to see the price. Not good.

they say the old 830 is faster then the 840 model

840 Pro > 830 > 840

RiceBOX said:   they say the old 830 is faster then the 840 model

840 Pro > 830 > 840

(I don't have proof)

The 840 should be more reliable and dependable...and the speed differences are negligible in real world use. I'd say go with the 840 vs. the older 830 all day long.

In fact, I bought one for my wife's MBP yesterday form Amzn for $169. No regrets.

xpolarx said:   I like the Samsung brand.

However, I would rather spend $13 more for a Sandisk Ultra Plus 256.

Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 256GB

Both SSDs are low profile (7mm) and have very low power consumption (between .12 and .14 W)

However, the Sandisk has better write speed (Samsung up to 240MB/s vs Sandisk up to 445 MB/s) (This is on paper of course, maybe real life is different )

The Samsung 840 PRO is the one that competes against this Sandisk model.

Nete: The 256 GB version of the Sandist Ultra Plus is the one with good write speed. (The 128GB model is considerably slower)

Just... to clarify (I agree with this post but in case it matters to people): The Sandisk link here is not for the notebook/adapter/enclosure/transfer kit. Since I have gotten a few SSD deals, I am good on those and just go for performance now, but if you don't have a kit and are upgrading to an SSD, the kits make it fairly painless to clone via USB without any additional purchases.

I went through several of the vendors and the best price I could come up with is $179 - there is no beach camera - there is a Beach Sound. Any ideas?

This just isn't true - I tried and tried - there is no $149 price for this - best price on this site is $179!

the deal is gone, it was working yesterday night

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014