• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
ryan007 said:   Looks like there is no 3G. Is there a way to connect external modem? I don't see a USB. It says "Support External 3G". Any ideas?

Might be with the otg port http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go listed in the specs. Not clear from the pictures, but might be on the top. Looks like about 4 shadows, one might be a power button, other two volume and lastly otg port? Just speculation on my part. Btw, I'm not up on this port, but from cursory reading of the wiki, looks like USB port and more. Please correct me if incorrect. In any case, still not enough to convince me to try it.

The OTG cable adapts the micro USB port to a standard USB port and allows access to USB storage devices and to plug in a supported USB 3G modem.

KuoH

macosx said:   Might be with the otg port http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go listed in the specs.

Be curious to see what everyone thinks of these once they get them. I'm always leery when ordering directly from China, even with paypal.

I have a Nexus 7...The price of this is so intriguing. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger.

macosx said:   ryan007 said:   Looks like there is no 3G. Is there a way to connect external modem? I don't see a USB. It says "Support External 3G". Any ideas?

Might be with the otg port http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go listed in the specs. Not clear from the pictures, but might be on the top. Looks like about 4 shadows, one might be a power button, other two volume and lastly otg port? Just speculation on my part. Btw, I'm not up on this port, but from cursory reading of the wiki, looks like USB port and more. Please correct me if incorrect. In any case, still not enough to convince me to try it.

Better pictures when you scroll down on the site. Low and behold, A FREAKING FULL HDMI PORT!. That's it, i'm getting one.

from the specs:
1 x OTG Port
1 x Micro Sd Card slot
1 x DC jack
1 x Earphone jack
1 x HDMI port

sman789 said:   


Low and behold, A FREAKING FULL HDMI PORT!. That's it, i'm getting one.
But no fullsize-SD slot or fullsize-USB. What's wrong with designers today?

knickdigger said:   But no fullsize-SD slot or fullsize-USB. What's wrong with designers today?
Full size connectors would be difficult without increasing the thickness of the tablet. It does have memory expansion, unlike many tablets, and expansion via microSD is much more common than SD. A standard OTG cable provides fullsize USB connectivity without increasing the tablet's thickness.

According to the XDA review and other seller descriptions, it's more likely to be a mini HDMI port.

KuoH

knickdigger said:   But no fullsize-SD slot or fullsize-USB. What's wrong with designers today?

the USB OTG thing is excusable (marginally), but for anything the size of a tablet to take uSD over regular SD is just retarded. These cards are being obsoleted for no good reason at all.

knickdigger said:   the USB OTG thing is excusable (marginally), but for anything the size of a tablet to take uSD over regular SD is just retarded. These cards are being obsoleted for no good reason at all.
You can read full size SD (or miniSD or Memory Stick or SmartMedia for that matter) cards via a USB reader connected to the OTG, if you really need that capability. I do that with my Double Power M975 tablet, which also has a microSD port.

anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?

dealsearch said:   Besides the support and warranty, another risk for those made-in-china/shipped-from-china non-brand tablets are their firmware. I am not talking about the firmware upgrading. I am talking about what the firmware actually does.

I bought a non-brand 8" epad a while back, one of the 1st tablet deals posted here. Then, people found that every time the users go online using that pad, all the traffic will be redirected to a mysterious chinese web site first. Nobody really knows what that web site does. But think about it, whatever you typed, user name/password/credit card #, will be sent to that chinese web site first.




anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?

I have a 7 android tablet, a le pan tab 1, an HP touch pad, a 7 inch galaxy tab, a galaxy note 1 and an acer w500 but I am still tempted to pull the trigger on this one. Got to control myself.

whuhoyo said:   dealsearch said:   Besides the support and warranty, another risk for those made-in-china/shipped-from-china non-brand tablets are their firmware. I am not talking about the firmware upgrading. I am talking about what the firmware actually does.

I bought a non-brand 8" epad a while back, one of the 1st tablet deals posted here. Then, people found that every time the users go online using that pad, all the traffic will be redirected to a mysterious chinese web site first. Nobody really knows what that web site does. But think about it, whatever you typed, user name/password/credit card #, will be sent to that chinese web site first.




anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?



the reason i'm not jumping into this deal

whuhoyo said:   
anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?


I think that might be a little too paranoid but if it were any concern at all you could do a factory data reset you could monitor the outbound IP traffic or you could wipe the system and put a custom ROM on it.
I'm not the worlds biggest tech nerd but I do not remember ever seeing a single story of someone having their chinese-made anything electronic doing anything suspicious like the other poster mentioned. I think that would be a whole lotta' dumb on the part of the doofus that decided to try to be sneaky like that.

whuhoyo said:   anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?It has dual cameras, so you can "cyber" all you want.

No bluetooth.

cyberpitstop said:   make sure you crack an egg till you get at least a $5 off coupon. May have to find a filler item.

I have tried three different browsers and haven't got this to work. Usually it gives me one hit with the hammer and doesn't do anything. The eggs just sit there. Are they supposed to break whether you win something or not? Plus the web site says you only get three hits per day so the deal may be over before you get a $5 coupon, or am I missing something here?

I was thinking of getting this but then saw the Pipo S2 8 inch. Specs are pretty much the same with same processor and GPU but with 16 GB or memory, bluetooth, bigger battery, and a full size USB port. Lots more reviews and YouTube videos on this one too.

Price is $137.99 at Geekbuy.com shipped free.

Price at Dealsprime is !28.99 plus I believe shipping and all sales are final (with one year warranty).

Price at SaleAndroidTablet.com is $133.50 with free shipping. Website says "30 DayMoney Back Guarantee" but FAQ says 14 days for exchange or refund for defective products and 7 day return with a 25% restocking fee for non-defective returns.

They also have the Nextway F8 with 16GB of memory and IPS screen for $132.50 shipped free. No mention of warranty info.

Not sure if it is worth the extra $35 or so bucks to get the Pipo S2 since now you are getting close to the price of name brand Tablets like Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch.

Update: Corrected link for SaleAndroidTablet.com

I bought one because of the 4:3 display for my daughter's reading needs - it says more or less designed with the reader's functionality in mind.

I have the PIPO S3 - 7 inch - very similar specs and very happy with it.

Hoping this ones also proves to be a winner.


Lvscott said:   I was thinking of getting this but then saw the Pipo S2 8 inch. Specs are pretty much the same with same processor and GPU but with 16 GB or memory, bluetooth, bigger battery, and a full size USB port. Lots more reviews and YouTube videos on this one too.

Price is $137.99 at Geekbuy.com shipped free.

Price at Dealsprime is !28.99 plus I believe shipping and all sales are final (with one year warranty).

Price at SaleAndroidTablet.com is $133.50 with free shipping. Website says "30 DayMoney Back Guarantee" but FAQ says 14 days for exchange or refund for defective products and 7 day return with a 25% restocking fee for non-defective returns.

They also have the Nextway F8 with 16GB of memory and IPS screen for $132.50 shipped free. No mention of warranty info.

Not sure if it is worth the extra $35 or so bucks to get the Pipo S2 since now you are getting close to the price of name brand Tablets like Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch.

whuhoyo said:   dealsearch said:   Besides the support and warranty, another risk for those made-in-china/shipped-from-china non-brand tablets are their firmware. I am not talking about the firmware upgrading. I am talking about what the firmware actually does.

I bought a non-brand 8" epad a while back, one of the 1st tablet deals posted here. Then, people found that every time the users go online using that pad, all the traffic will be redirected to a mysterious chinese web site first. Nobody really knows what that web site does. But think about it, whatever you typed, user name/password/credit card #, will be sent to that chinese web site first.




anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?


Root it and wipe out anything you don't want.

GuyFromNJ said:   I bought one because of the 4:3 display for my daughter's reading needs - it says more or less designed with the reader's functionality in mind.

I have the PIPO S3 - 7 inch - very similar specs and very happy with it.

Hoping this ones also proves to be a winner.



Can I ask where you bought the PIPO S 3? I am thinking of getting the S2 but want a reliable seller. I agree with the readability of 4 x3. Despite all the hoopla, and 200 years since the 16 x 9 format came out, web pages are still designed as 4 x 3. When you look at them on a 16 x 9 monitor you have big white space to the left and right of the page. I had been looking at getting a 7" tablet but when I saw how much more of a web page fits on an 8" without having to scroll down to see it, I decided an 8 inch makes more sense.

Also, you have to consider that a 8" 4:3 screen is significantly "bigger" than even an 8" 16:9 (widescreen) screen, not to mention of course bigger than a 7" either way ...

The more square the ratio of the height/width of the screen, the "bigger" (larger surface size, that is, more square inches) it is.

In case I managed to not make it clear what I was trying to say, here it is better explained: http://www.screenmath.com/

julioiglesias said:   Also, you have to consider that a 8" 4:3 screen is significantly "bigger" than even an 8" 16:9 (widescreen) screen, not to mention of course bigger than a 7" either way ...

The more square the ratio of the height/width of the screen, the "bigger" (larger surface size, that is, more square inches) it is.

In case I managed to not make it clear what I was trying to say, here it is better explained: http://www.screenmath.com/


The idea for 16 x 9 computer screens was a moron idea. The main purpose was to be able to say the screen was bigger while making them cheaper. Newspapers, books, webpages, and documents are all designed to be vertical. The only thing 16 x 9 is movies so that is fine for a TV, but computers aren't used as TVs 99.9% of the time.

Movies aren't usually 16:9. HDTV is, but movies are usually 2.35:1.

4:3 is far superior for a tablet. 16:10 is great for computer monitors.

Lvscott said:   julioiglesias said:   Also, you have to consider that a 8" 4:3 screen is significantly "bigger" than even an 8" 16:9 (widescreen) screen, not to mention of course bigger than a 7" either way ...

The more square the ratio of the height/width of the screen, the "bigger" (larger surface size, that is, more square inches) it is.

In case I managed to not make it clear what I was trying to say, here it is better explained: http://www.screenmath.com/


The idea for 16 x 9 computer screens was a moron idea. The main purpose was to be able to say the screen was bigger while making them cheaper. Newspapers, books, webpages, and documents are all designed to be vertical. The only thing 16 x 9 is movies so that is fine for a TV, but computers aren't used as TVs 99.9% of the time.


I think that is right on the money I have a buddy who has the Vizio 8" tablet and even though there is some stuff I don't like about it the overall size and porportions seem like such a better idea than a long on one side and skinny on the other version of a screen. It is just my opinon I think until someone uses a tablet in this size they do not realize how much better it really is compared to the typical size screen.

Lvscott said:   The idea for 16 x 9 computer screens was a moron idea. The main purpose was to be able to say the screen was bigger while making them cheaper. Newspapers, books, webpages, and documents are all designed to be vertical. The only thing 16 x 9 is movies so that is fine for a TV, but computers aren't used as TVs 99.9% of the time.Yup. Widescreen is horrible for reading and typing. So you end up with stupidly-stretched windows to fill your screen, or multiple "regular-sized" windows with 80% of unviewable space overlapping. And then there are the idiot web designers hardcode widescreen dimensions b/c they assume everyone (a) has a widescreen and (b) sets their browser to full screen, thus (c) making their sites semi-functional to anyone else.

odys99 said:   whuhoyo said:   
anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?


I think that might be a little too paranoid but if it were any concern at all you could do a factory data reset you could monitor the outbound IP traffic or you could wipe the system and put a custom ROM on it.
I'm not the worlds biggest tech nerd but I do not remember ever seeing a single story of someone having their chinese-made anything electronic doing anything suspicious like the other poster mentioned. I think that would be a whole lotta' dumb on the part of the doofus that decided to try to be sneaky like that.


Are you kidding? Counterfeit industrial products and networking equipment that phones home are a huge problem and confirmed risk with some equipment from China. It's not just speculation or China bashing.

themew said:   OP should note it ships from China (2 wks+) and no SSL on checkout. too bad, nice price.

Yep, good price with not good shipping date and SSL. Anyways thanks op.

pauldavies said:   

Yep, good price with not good shipping date and SSL. Anyways thanks op.


You are welcome and it is a good price the SSL was already covered on page 1, would not matter one way or the other just use paypal plus the shipping is free.

...

ercme said:   odys99 said:   whuhoyo said:   
anyone has the same concerning on the cyber safety of this device?


I think that might be a little too paranoid but if it were any concern at all you could do a factory data reset you could monitor the outbound IP traffic or you could wipe the system and put a custom ROM on it.
I'm not the worlds biggest tech nerd but I do not remember ever seeing a single story of someone having their chinese-made anything electronic doing anything suspicious like the other poster mentioned. I think that would be a whole lotta' dumb on the part of the doofus that decided to try to be sneaky like that.


Are you kidding? Counterfeit industrial products and networking equipment that phones home are a huge problem and confirmed risk with some equipment from China. It's not just speculation or China bashing.
...................................................................................
Thanks for posting this. Do you have any links to relevant reports? I spend some time on rooting/custom ROM sites and haven't heard anything there. I googled a bit and found cases where computers sold in China contained "Green Dam" government censorship software, and reports of Chinese government-sponsored hacking/spying attacks, but found no reports of covert software/hardware found in Chinese-made consumer-level products here in the U.S. I am looking for a cheap tablet to replace my ailing TouchPad and in the $100 arena this stacks up very well against the typical tab deals like used ones from CowBoom or 800x480 7" models like those often on sale at Big Lots. However, since I conduct business on my tab, any risk of embedded nefarious code would probably scare me away.

Deal ends in about 7 hours, for anyone still on the fence...

exbat said:   Deal ends in about 7 hours, for anyone still on the fence...

I could have sworn that it said 2 days left just last night, maybe I am going blind in my old age or those experts are correct about that short term memory loss stuff.

odys99 said:   exbat said:   Deal ends in about 7 hours, for anyone still on the fence...

I could have sworn that it said 2 days left just last night, maybe I am going blind in my old age or those experts are correct about that short term memory loss stuff.



Now theres no timer at all I must be losin my damm mind.

The time has expired but it is still $99.99 with 58 left.

Yup, looks like it's now "**Surplus Sale Stock**" with no set expiration time. Inventory count is at 55.

I went ahead and ordered one when the clock had just two hours left. Yes, a count-down timer is an effective marketing tool!

4:3 8" 1024x768 capacitive screen, processor/memory and dual cameras were my main motivators to bite at $100 (PayPal). As reference, I have been happy with the performance of my TouchPad (until it started having "issues") but apps for the legacy WebOS are scant and none of the Android ROMs ever seemed to move out of Alpha development and there were always "known issues" with the builds. My other tab is a pokey $40 refurb 7" resistive screen Curtis Klu stuck on 2.1. It's everything the TouchPad is not.

I hope we see more coverage of these F8s models online now that it seems sellers are liquidating their inventory.

Thanks again odys99!

50 left. Just trying to keep this thread alive, but I don't know why.

anyone has experience with Kocaso tablets. these also look like great deal. plus not coming form China.

Kocaso MID 1062

hurray said:   anyone has experience with Kocaso tablets. these also look like great deal. plus not coming form China.

Kocaso MID 1062


I think for $50 more you are getting a single-core CPU and a 10" screen with the same resolution as an 8" tablet it is decent but I wish the specs were more clear. One place says 1ghz one says 1.2ghz one says 1.5ghz for the CPU, one place says 5000mAH battery and another says 5500mAH battery but it doesnt matter because they are being shady about it in the first place. Since the standard is 7.4volt and they are giving the rating 5000mAH at 3.7v they are trying to trick people that want a good battery life it should say 2500mAH or 2750mAH for the true battery power. The 10" one would be good for an older person who does not leave the house and can charge any time and a larger screen for their eyes the 8" one would probably be better suited for people using it as a real mobile or portable device. Thats my two cents worth on the matter.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014