Samsung Series 7 (Refurb) $359

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I cant figure out why this isnt a red hot deal that everyone is posting about...stumbled onto this a few days ago on TigerDirect and placed an order. It has been "out of stock" for a few days but now it looks like it is live again.

its a 14"...fairly light laptop with a 2nd generation i5, 6GB ram (upgradeable to 8GB) and a 1TB HD (i believe it has some samsung express-start feature for quicker loading of windows but no SSD)

It also has USB3.0 (though only one port) a better than average screen (1600x900) onboard HDMI (no need for dongles) a discrete video card with 1GB ram and allegedly good battery life.

BEWARE: my research has found that some of these series7 notebooks had broadcom wifi cards which were apparently garbage. Maybe these refurbs are all of those and maybe samsung didnt swap that out for the intel wifi adapter in the rest of their series7 lineup...unknown at this point.

But really it still seems like it could be a great deal for $350??

link

Member Summary

Samsung Series 7 (Refurb)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

WOW, I got the 15" version for sale at $699!

This is a ridiculous for an excellent laptop with all high end features and specs.

How is not everyone NOT jumping on this?

I saw these on clearance open-box at Best Buy for $800. Oh, I saw them with an Ivy Bridge i7 and a GT 640M/1 GB video card (Model: NP700Z5C-S02UB). This is a Sandy Bridge i5. This might be impacted by the broadcom wireless adapter according to some google searches. Hard to tell.

I loved the keyboard and the feel of the unit. A little heavier than other similar laptops, probably because of the metal. But at $350... might be worth the plunge.

EDIT: 2 MONTH warranty on parts and labor for the refurb

Got 1 as excellent price.

Thanks OP

PS - don't forget 3% FatCash

Tiger Direct and refurb equals not a hot deal.

Out of stock again!

bad news....got mine today. confirmed broadband wifi adapter. confirmed couldnt connect to wifi network. about to try more networks now but doesnt look promising

not sure how samsung can take back bad laptops, not repair them and sell as refurbished?

update: spent some time on surprisingly helpful livechat with samsung, they sent me a link to a new driver...seems to have helped...will test more tomorrow

AdmiralBird said:   update: spent some time on surprisingly helpful livechat with samsung, they sent me a link to a new driver...seems to have helped...will test more tomorrow

Hi,

Can you share the driver link? Mine shipped yesterday.

Cheers

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile....

There it is. I wiped the laptop off and installed win7pro from scratch, Got all the drivers without any trouble from the NP700Z3A-S06 page (this is the S05 but I think its essentially the same).

On an airplane at the moment and im not super thrilled with the battery life. Seems like 4 hours? Might improve if I adjust power settings or maybe this was only intended to have 4 hour battery life, or maybe the battery is not right after the refurb, not sure.

The WiFi definitely works after the driver upgrade....it might be a little on the weak side but it works. My unit was a little scraped up. Along the bottom of the monitor piece of the hinge there is some serious scraping , there is a very minor dent and scuff to the display bezel just under it on the left side and I think there are a couple minor scuff marks on the bottom of the unit but I am really quite pleased with it.

It looks awesome, keyboard feels great (cool backlit too). I was able to install and load XCom Enemy Unknown...havent played it yet but the menu screen makes it appear like the discrete video card is doing a decent job.

Only issue at the moment is that the headphone jack does not work and sound keeps coming out of the unit's speakers. I think this is a driver issue though.

All in all I am pretty happy for 350 bucks!

Got mine today and it looks new. Came in the original box with all accessories. Very impressed and plan to get another 1.

Thanks again OP!

cool, does yours have the broadcom wireless card? Lucky yours looks new! As I mentioned mine had damage/wear in a couple spots...wouldnt mind having a mint one but its not enough for me to bother sending it back.

Hi OP,

It has POS Broadcom wifi and it DOES NOT work half the time! It connects then drops or when it does connect SLOW even with the latest firmware upgrade (thanks OP for the link). What a shame that Samsung chose not to replace the wifi card...

Well pitiful wifi prob solved.

Bought mini USB wifi adapter few months ago (paid about $10 on sale) and attached to the 1 of 2 USB slot and voila getting blazin speed (compared to Broadcom).

Mini USB

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014