• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lowest Unlimited Talk & Text Plan for a T-Mobile reseller at $19.

Lowest T-Mobile-based paygo talk rate per minute at 2 cents. Paygo text is 4 cents which is a little above Ptel but still a good price. Paygo data is 6 cents per MB and is dirt-cheap. For paygo, some are speculating that the minimum required to keep the service active is fund the account the least amount allowable (10 cents) and make at least 1 call every 90 days. Provided that is accurate information, that would be 8 cents a year.

http://www.lycamobile.us/en/

Edited for Additional info:

I. Preliminary reports say unlocked phones work. At&t and T-Mobile locked phones will not.

II. Here is how to order the sim as others have figured out. Goal here is to change the webform so it will allow a 9 number zip code instead of its current 8 number maximum.

9 number zip code lookup
https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

IE - hit F12, select the cursor icon in the developer tools area, select the zip code text box, then change maxlength=8 to 9

Firefox - right click on zip code box > inspect element, click on the code symbol on left (some paralel lines) and click on the 8 in max character and change it to 9. Fill in zip code and proceed.

Chrome - right click on the zip code box, inspect item, then change the maxlength=8 to 9

Member Summary

Lycamobile
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Re: Airvoice - I'm very satisfied w Airvoice. The call quality is very good and data is HSPA speed. I'm on the 4c min/2c... (more)

barryspar (Dec. 10, 2013 @ 6:18p) |

I want to change plans foy payment

deosalomo (Dec. 29, 2013 @ 8:47p) |

deosalomo (Dec. 29, 2013 @ 8:48p) |

Lycamobile update article (some significant issues discussed):

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/04/lycamobiles-19-unlimited-plan-price-is.html

---
---

System charges 2c per minute for when someone leaves you a message on the voicemail.
System does not charge you to retrieve your voice mail from your cellular phone.

Yes, the service coverage from tmobile is rather weak. I'm trying it for now...
HPM.

------
------

To fix the 9-digit zip code problem with their website:

With Internet Explorer, hit F12, select the cursor icon in the developer tools area, select the zip code text box, then change maxlength=8 to 9.

with Chrome, right click on the zip code box, inspect item, then change the maxlength=8 to 9

With firefox 19 right click on zip code box > inspect element, click on the code symbol on left (some paralel lines) and click on the 8 in max character and change it to 9. Fill in zip code and proceed.

A LycraMobile customer service rep told me you only need to use the phone (minimally) once every 120 days to keep it active. No need to add additional funds

Minimum account load / reload (top-up) through website is $10 despite their claim of $0.1 minimum. Any <$10 load attempt results in an error. (The following doesn't apply >>> People have been able to activate paygo on Lycamobile with less than $5. They have only put in about $2 or so into their account).

Also not all area codes seem to be available for activation. This could be related to Lycamobile saying they are first starting out in 18 states before expanding to other states later on.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wasn't able to find any information on how to purchase a plan on-line. Is the B&M (in store only)?

Are you sure this is T-Mobile MVNO? This company is known for only selling phone cards for international calls (even in Europe). I don't want to change number and get surprised by hidden stuff or suddenly change in service (ending me costing more).

Savyasachi said:   Are you sure this is T-Mobile MVNO? This company is known for only selling phone cards for international calls (even in Europe). I don't want to change number and get surprised by hidden stuff or suddenly change in service (ending me costing more).

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/03/lycamobile-cuts-prices-a...

Now, Lycamobile is in the US!

Sounds like a good plan. It has no information about phone on which the sim will work. Is it just a regular TMobile phone or it needs to unlocked. Shouldnt they put this info on their web site(May be I missed it).

sounds too much trouble to be an early entrant ---I'll wait a couple months --- pass for now

But thanks for the post!

good deal. ordered simm. hope I have service in my area.

Looks like a good one but quite a few hiccups/uncertainties at the moment.

We don't use data, so the $19 per month looks good. Would that be plus taxes?

Preliminary reports say unlocked phones work. At&t and T-Mobile locked phones will not.

Remember there is no requirement that you switch your primary service over to Lycamobile. As the service is new, think low usage until they get all the kinks out. The sim is free, and the funding your account can be done with as little as 10 cents. Use it as an extra phone or glove compartment thingy. Use it for experimenting. Use it as a throwaway for Craigslist. Use it for relatives from overseas who are visiting. Use it for kids or seniors who just need an occasional communication device. You get the idea.

ElGuache said:   We don't use data, so the $19 per month looks good. Would that be plus taxes?

As they are based in the UK, I would guess that if you refilled online there would be no further taxes. When the company starts selling refill pins locally here in the U.S., my guess here is that there would likely be a local sales tax.

I tried to get the free SIM, but it keeps saying "Please enter a valid Zip Code" even when I enter my zip code...

OlyMoly said:   good deal. ordered simm. hope I have service in my area.

really? I get this:

We're sorry, we are not able to process your request because of following errors.
Please rectify them:

Please enter a valid Zip Code

are they gonna Guess my address?

I would like to figger this out, I am going to Mexico soon and would like a throwaway to take with me... hope this thread continues with info...

thanks

I enter my zip code and a bunch of addresses came out, none of them was mine and I couldn't fix it.

I had the same problem. I called the contact number (it's in the UK). They apologized for issues with their website and promised to send me a simcard.

Honestly, Lycamobile would NOT be ideal for traveling to Mexico as the rates are way too expensive.

Here is how to order the sim as others have figured out. Goal here is to change the webform so it will allow a 9 number zip code instead of its current 8 number maximum.

9 number zip code lookup
https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

IE - hit F12, select the cursor icon in the developer tools area, select the zip code text box, then change maxlength=8 to 9

Firefox - right click on zip code box > inspect element, click on the code symbol on left (some paralel lines) and click on the 8 in max character and change it to 9. Fill in zip code and proceed.

Chrome - right click on the zip code box, inspect item, then change the maxlength=8 to 9

Same with me. Has only addresses for less than half of the addresses in alphabetical order.

Edit. I meant to quote the poster who said he put in his zip code, but that the system does not allow him to verify the address.

Edit, Edit Funny Stuff's instructions worked.

What would be a good, cheap phone for this plan? I'm assuming a GSM. So maybe a prepaid T-Mobile or AT&T phone?

Just noticed, they aren't exactly too popular in Australia. reviews

I assume the sim comes with its own number? I hope they don't initiate number porting of the number I put in on the SIM order form, do they? lol
Excellent instructions provided above btw, thanks!

Excellent instructions provided above btw, thanks!

gawd, I Used to be smart enough to figger this stuff out..

Still tryin....

EDIT:

wow, FunnyStuff! .. Smart guy! thank you so much!

Your FREE SIM request has been successful.

thanks OP, lets see what happens now!

Ordered one. Thanks OP!

Ordered a microSIM and I put this in the wiki, but in case you missed it...

To fix the 9-digit zip code problem with their website:

With Internet Explorer, hit F12, select the cursor icon in the developer tools area, select the zip code text box, then change maxlength=8 to 9.

with Chrome, right click on the zip code box, inspect item, then change the maxlength=8 to 9

With firefox 19 right click on zip code box > inspect element, click on the code symbol on left (some paralel lines) and click on the 8 in max character and change it to 9. Fill in zip code and proceed.

A LycraMobile customer service rep told me you only need to use the phone (minimally) once every 120 days to keep it active. No need to add additional funds

People have been able to activate paygo on Lycamobile with less than $5. They have only put in about $2 or so into their account.

Also not all area codes seem to be available for activation. This could be related to Lycamobile saying they are first starting out in 18 states before expanding to other states later on.

Thanks OP.

Would it be feasible to use a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, like the Samsung Stripe, on Lycamobile? If so, can I just swap SIM cards and go?

Solomon960 said:   Would it be feasible to use a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, like the Samsung Stripe, on Lycamobile? If so, can I just swap SIM cards and go?

Only if you unlocked the phone.

saxman said:   Solomon960 said:   Would it be feasible to use a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, like the Samsung Stripe, on Lycamobile? If so, can I just swap SIM cards and go?

It isn't unlocked. The process to unlock phones seems confusing and costly. I was hoping that because the Stripe is already a T-Mobile prepaid network unit that Lycamobile would be an easy switch. Oh well.

What is the safest way to ensure one purchases an unlocked GSM phone? Is there a reputable vendor online? Buying from eBay or craigslist is an unknown.

If you stay with tmobile for 60 Days (include prepaid i think) you qualify for an umlock code for a tmobile handset.

Solomon960 said:   saxman said:   Solomon960 said:   Would it be feasible to use a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, like the Samsung Stripe, on Lycamobile? If so, can I just swap SIM cards and go?

It isn't unlocked. The process to unlock phones seems confusing and costly. I was hoping that because the Stripe is already a T-Mobile prepaid network unit that Lycamobile would be an easy switch. Oh well.

What is the safest way to ensure one purchases an unlocked GSM phone? Is there a reputable vendor online? Buying from eBay or craigslist is an unknown.

Solomon960 said:   saxman said:   Solomon960 said:   Would it be feasible to use a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, like the Samsung Stripe, on Lycamobile? If so, can I just swap SIM cards and go?

I used a Maxwest MX-12 with Lyca in the UK which is a dual sim and worldwide GSM unlocked phone. My US SIM is on the way... Nice post OP!

My experience of using Lyca in UK and Australia has been excellent. Please note that the number & any balance on it expires after 120 days if there is no activity on it.

anyone see what the cost of data would be if I select the $19 unlimited voice/text plan? I wonder if it's still $0.06/MB? If it is, it's time to get rid of PagePlus.

Solomon960 said:   Would it be feasible to use a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, like the Samsung Stripe, on Lycamobile? If so, can I just swap SIM cards and go?
Call tmo and they will give you free unlock code for your phone.

News search says it's a tmobile usa mvno and only operates in a few states. does anyone has a link to it's coverage map? thanks

Wait till reliance mobile hits USA.
Cell phones will be cheaper than a toy.

As for calling international numbers (plan to use this to call the UK), I see this on their site:

Applies to the first 10 unique dialed numbers.

Does anyone know what that might mean?

Does it mean that I can only make 10 calls of unlimited duration for unique numbers dialed? or does it mean that I get to choose 10 unique numbers to use for unlimited minutes?

MOST T-Mobile reselers (spot, ptel, simple) work in T-Mobile locked phones so I would say 90% this would work with locked phone. Sim is free so can't hurt to order a sim and pop it in(it will ask for unlock code if its not gonna work) then activate if it works

The unlimited international numbers means the 2nd: 10 unique numbers for unlimited minutes. Notice the asterisk? It says that the promo ends April 30th. Now that I think about it a little, all these low numbers on Lycamobile's site might simply be introductory rates and not the regular prices. We should know one way or another in one month.

For those who are interested in purchasing a basic unlocked phone, Amazon has a couple Alcatel's. Although they are locked, unlock code for Alcatel devices are typically only a couple bucks on eBay. Research this a little more on your own if interested.

T-Mobile 665 (Alcatel OT-665A) $15
http://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-665-Prepaid-Phone/dp/B007ZSWEKO/

T-Mobile Sparq (Alcatel OT-606A) $24
http://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Sparq-Prepaid-Phone/dp/B005XE5TLS...

They are a huge reputable company, I'm very tempted to put my children on the $29/month unlimited plan - however, two things are not clear, what the data speed is when throttled, 128kbps or 256 , and if MMS is supported, it doesn't appear to be by trolling what others have to say about Lyca mobile so far - that's a deal breaker.

Thanks. Ordered Sim successfully. Wait and see. Unlimited Talk and text sounds great to my mom.

Skipping 333 Messages...
deosalomo said:   I want to change plans foy payment

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014