• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

Regularly $199.99.

Includes free Coboc HDMI cable w/ purchase (limited offer).
Accepts a single CableCard; lets you record and/or watch four shows at once.
PCI-e 1x interface (i.e. internal card).

This is the most tuners you can get for a single card slot, as far as I'm aware.

4/5 eggs (308 reviews).

Newegg
See Newegg coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Ceton InfiniTV 4 (10.98kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Someone needs to make a cablecard solution that can broadcast to a Roku. Ultimately I would like a multi cablecard solution that woud integrate with Plex for both recording and streaming. One can dream....

Have this card and works like a dream. Had to battle local cable company to find a competent person that can set the correct settings up on their side.

Ceton support is awesome. I sent them my output from their built in diagnostic and they pointed to specific KB issues that I needed to resolve before contacting my cable company.

Keep in mind that when you record some channels (i.e channels that are not available OTA (BBC, TNT, TBS, ESPN.com...)) they may be copy protected depending on your TV provider. For my cable provider (Brighthouse) they blanket copy protect all Cable channels. This means the only way to view those recordings is on that PC that recorded the show or a Media Center Extender (Xbox 360, Ceton Echo). You must have windows media center to record the copy protected shows and there are no other alternatives (at least that I have found).

This card does allow for 4 HD cable channels at once, and you can also share them over the network. I have 3 dedicated to my Server for recording and one setup as a network tuner on my laptop that I have connected to my TV in the bedroom. I get all the digital channels via network and don't have to pay for an extra box. There are limitations like no On Demand channels, PPV and a slight lag on changing channels. I have it set up all via CAT6 so can't comment on wireless capabilities.

Genius069 said:   Have this card and works like a dream. Had to battle local cable company to find a competent person that can set the correct settings up on their side.
Unfortunately, this is almost always the case. Your cable provider may also require you to use a "tuning adapter" box, although that's usually free. I set up a HTPC for my father-in-law using the Hauppauge DVR-2650 (like a CableCard HDHomeRun) and NextPVR (vice Media Center), but it doesn't work perfectly. (It's either because I'm not using Media Center or because the cable co. didn't set it up completely.)

Genius069 said:   Keep in mind that when you record some channels (i.e channels that are not available OTA (BBC, TNT, TBS, ESPN.com...)) they may be copy protected depending on your TV provider. For my cable provider (Brighthouse) they blanket copy protect all Cable channels. This means the only way to view those recordings is on that PC that recorded the show or a Media Center Extender (Xbox 360, Ceton Echo). You must have windows media center to record the copy protected shows and there are no other alternatives (at least that I have found).
It's possible other software (not Media Center) will enable you to get around this, but I'm not sure. I'm not recommending anything illicit, but contributors have developed plugins for NextPVR (or it's predecessor, GBPVR) that will convert Microsoft's video files to MPEG. At times I've copied media files to my laptop for playback during a road-trip, so the inability to copy would be a real damper for me. (Note that not every cable co. does this; mine apparently does not, although I only record the clear QAM stuff that is freely available OTA.)

I have this and don't regret having it, but I can't say I LOVE it. I give it 3.5 to 4 stars simply because every month or so I have to restart my server (not that I wouldn't normally do that anyway)... I have to restart when WMC says that a tuner is not detected. Also, on one of my satellite computers that uses one of the tuners, I get an "HDCP" error. I have to resize the WMC window and then maximize again to solve the problem. On occasion, I have to do this on my server also when the WMC window is not filling up the entire screen and cut off by margins on all 4 sides (it will also look choppy). While the latter may be a WMC issue, the HDCP issue on my satellite computer could be either...

It's definitely a bummer that we can't do on-demand, and for PPV I HAVE to call Verizon FIOS to order a UFC event. It's quite dumb that Verizon FIOS doesn't let you do this online. I've been on hold for up to TWO HOURS (1h58m to be exact) in the past with Verizon. This is not Ceton's fault, but I do want to point out the issues.

I must admit that there is a slim possibility that absolutely none of my issues are Ceton-related, it's still something you may have to deal with by getting your own tuner. I'm not trying to steer people away from it. I'm definitely happy that I only have to pay $3.99/month to rent the CARD from Verizon FIOS (I think it's BS that they can charge you for the TV Card), and also I received a $250 GC from Verizon for opting out of the free lifetime DVR. My tuner paid for itself (I'd bought it for $199 over a year ago).

Despite the issues I've had, I'm actually thinking about buying a second one of these to put into my server. I want to set up 2 more TVs and don't want to take away from the main server's 3 remaining tuners (we do sometimes record 2 shows and watch 1 at the same time). I wish there was a single card that could support 6 tuners... perhaps it would need two TV cards, but I don't see why this won't happen in the future... a single card to support more than 4 tuners and if required can take more than two TV cards.

I've owned this tuner for a number of years and generally, it works great.
The biggest issue I've had in the past is not with the tuner, but with Comcast not having the right authorizations on the cablecard. I've spent many a nights on the phone to Bangalore trying to resolve pairing issues. When the cablecard receives the correct authorizations, everything runs well. Not being able to receive On-Demand has been an ongoing issue with Cablecards and it has nothing with Ceton. Take it up with the FCC on that one. At least they pushed the providers to allow customers to install their own cards as of August 2011, without having to wait for a tech onsite.

One other thing that is a pain, and the previous reviewer noted, is about resetting the server. If you network this tuner, be prepared to reboot any pc that is connected to the host pc. I have this installed in a desktop with 3 other laptops networked to it, so each computer has one assigned tuner. If ANYTHING changes in your network configuration, ie, you power cycle your modem or router, you will need to reboot the host pc and any other networked computers; otherwise, you will often get "unable to detect tuner", or something to that effect. It can be quite cumbersome, so I just make sure to have my modem and router hooked to a battery backup in case of power failures.

The issue that the previous reviewer noted about not being HDCP compliant... I've had that come up on some of my machines and it has to do with the graphics card, NOT the Ceton tuner.

Also, the coaxial adapter cable into the card is extremely fragile. I've had to superglue it back in because it broke. I would say this is the weakest physical point about the hardware.

I also have the Ceton USB tuner which works exactly the same way, albeit, in an external enclosure.

Overall, this is a great solution for a home theater pc setup.

Here is a website that Ceton uses for support: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/
(also a wealth of information about setting up these kinds of devices)

> I wish there was a single card that could support 6 tuners...
6 tuner HD Homerun Prime works, it is an external box and requires two cable cards

(I have a three tuner HDhomerun prime with 3 tuners and it works pretty nicely.)

I may look into this Ceton card...

A single cablecard can support up to 6 tuners; in fact, Ceton has been in development of such a device for awhile now.

I don't know where they stand with it. There was the 6 tuner Ceton Q Whole Home DVR in development, but who knows if that will ever make it to market.

For now, we're stuck with the 4 tuner ceton, 6 tuner Hauppauge (using 2 cablecards), and 3 tuner Hauppauge.

I suggest people who are interested in this card to also look at HDHomerun Prime. It ties into your network and basically turns any pc into a TV. I've had one for about 1.5 years now and absolute love it (Verizon FIOS).

Hoogineer said:   Genius069 said:   Have this card and works like a dream. Had to battle local cable company to find a competent person that can set the correct settings up on their side.
Unfortunately, this is almost always the case.

except with fios. they have an easy online activation for cable cards. no need to call in.

xarien said:   I suggest people who are interested in this card to also look at HDHomerun Prime. It ties into your network and basically turns any pc into a TV. I've had one for about 1.5 years now and absolute love it (Verizon FIOS).

i tried both and returned the Prime. the Ceton just worked smoother. plus the Prime only has 3 tuners.

So is there a guide somewhere to setting this up? I have 3-4 TVs that I want to hook up to this. I assume I will need a windows desktop to install this into, and then something on the other TVs?

Would really love a simple solution that would give me everything that I currently get from the FIOS boxes minus I guess the ondemand. I can't believe there isn't a good solution out there yet.

russ0519 said:   So is there a guide somewhere to setting this up? I have 3-4 TVs that I want to hook up to this. I assume I will need a windows desktop to install this into, and then something on the other TVs?

Would really love a simple solution that would give me everything that I currently get from the FIOS boxes minus I guess the ondemand. I can't believe there isn't a good solution out there yet.

No easy guide out there. There are several forums and communities out there if you just google the card model and name. If you are looking to share the tuners from your PC to all your TVs then you will need to research on how to do that.

One solution is to have a computer hooked up to every single TV but then it needs to meet HDCP requirements (video card and TV).

Another solution is to have a raspberry pi at each PC, this requires you to be comfortable doing some involved setup and patience

Third possibility is xbox 360 at each TV but not sure if you can use the tv guide and browse through channels.

I use a combination of Laptops/PCs and Raspberry Pi.

And another solution is to purchase the Ceton Echo to connect to the other tvs. You still need a desktop host pc to install the ceton card into (or the usb version). That pc needs to be on 24/7. The Ceton Echo is fairly new to the market and still has some issues, but it's very small and operates like a WMC extender (similar to the xbox 360) to watch live and recorded tvs shows on other tvs.

Genius069 said:   russ0519 said:   So is there a guide somewhere to setting this up? I have 3-4 TVs that I want to hook up to this. I assume I will need a windows desktop to install this into, and then something on the other TVs?

No easy guide out there. There are several forums and communities out there if you just google the card model and name. If you are looking to share the tuners from your PC to all your TVs then you will need to research on how to do that.

One solution is to have a computer hooked up to every single TV but then it needs to meet HDCP requirements (video card and TV).

Another solution is to have a raspberry pi at each PC, this requires you to be comfortable doing some involved setup and patience

Third possibility is xbox 360 at each TV but not sure if you can use the tv guide and browse through channels.

I use a combination of Laptops/PCs and Raspberry Pi.

I didn't think the Xbox 360 could watch live tv with this, or can it?

g0dMAn said:   I didn't think the Xbox 360 could watch live tv with this, or can it?

You can ... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=966

BTW: thegreenbutton is a great forum for questions

Genius069 said:   g0dMAn said:   I didn't think the Xbox 360 could watch live tv with this, or can it?

You can ... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=966

BTW: thegreenbutton is a great forum for questions

Thanks for the link!
Great to know! I'm renovating my basement and bought a 47" LED for down there (mancave-ish). I originally was going to hook up an xbox 360 slim and a nettop, but perhaps I don't need the nettop at all. I use a nettop in our bedroom for TV and XBMC.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014